PDA

View Full Version : shelter reservations in June

B.B.
05-01-2011, 19:12
My friend and I are doing a 3-4 week section beginning June 2 from Fontana to Damascus. I plan to call first thing the morning of May 2 to make our shelter reservations in the smokys. I was just wondering how hard it is to make these that time of year? I hate we aren't technically thru hikers so we could avoid the whole reservation process....

johnnybgood
05-01-2011, 19:22
You will techically be called long distance hikers and there shouldn't be a problem since you're hiking 50 miles beyond the Smokies. Usually the 50 mile rule makes applys regardless of classication.

Beachcomber
05-01-2011, 19:40
Smoky Mtn. park rules say you have to both start AND finish 50 miles beyond park boundaries to qualify as a thru-hiker for purpose of avoiding shelter reservations.

Penguin
05-01-2011, 20:09
So can you just show up at the shelter and camp in it or near it if your a thru-hiker? Is there some kind of ranger booth or something when you get to the park to set up a reservation. I can see how I would have no clue what day I would be arriving there, starting May 13th from Springer. Thanks for the help, doing crazy last minute planning.

Guino

bigcranky
05-01-2011, 20:15
If you start from Springer, you can just get a permit at the self-permiting station when you enter the Great Smoky Mountains NP. No big deal, and you don't need reservations. Complete info is in most guidebooks.

Penguin
05-01-2011, 20:34
Thanks Big Cranky. My Guide Books right now consist of an Urban Planning Textbook, Research papers on Wolf Reintroduction, an English Lit Textbook, and a Parks and Recreation textbook. So I'm not getting much studying time for the AT. Though, I do have the 2006 ALDHA Thur-Hikers companion, I originally planned on hiking the AT in 06, then went and did PCT in 07. I'm probably mostly going to wing it as I go, and it's good to know that Smoky reservations are one less thing to worry about.

bigcranky
05-01-2011, 21:32
Yeah, understood on the academic stuff, it's that time of year. As I tell the students where I work, "better you than me." (Sorry.)

The 2006 Companion should be fine. Some of the details will be out of date on resupply and hostels and the like, but the basics will be the same.

cowpoke
05-01-2011, 21:44
Hopefully...I'll see you on the 2nd...my plan is to start the GSMNP section on the 2nd also....ready to start calling first thing in the morning!!! Cheers...have a great hike!

B.B.
05-01-2011, 22:03
Hey Cowpoke!! Hope to see you there...I was mistaken though ...we are starting on the 3rd...Friday. Had my days wrong...knew I was supposed to call on Tuesday though. Do you think it is difficult to get reservations if you call first thing?

cowpoke
05-01-2011, 22:21
B.B. Not really sure about how difficult it will be to get reservations...my first trip through GSMNP....I plan to start calling at 7AM (CST) tomorrow and keep calling until I get through...I'll post here on how it goes. I'm told that after Memorial Day it gets "easier" to get shelter reservations...we shall see! Cheers.

shoe
05-02-2011, 04:10
If you call first thing you shouldn't have any problems getting reservations. I have only ever had a issue one time out of about 12 trips in the Smokies

cowpoke
05-02-2011, 09:19
B.B. Got through this morning and got my reservations...not the shelter schedule I wanted but got reservations...my schedule is Mollies - Silers - Icewater Spring - Tri-Corner knob - Cosby knob starting on 2 June. I'm not a specimen of physical fitness so the big miles on day 2 and 3 are somewhat worriesome but guess I'll manage. Have a great hike..cheers.

bigcranky
05-02-2011, 11:28
Your first day won't be a piece of cake, either. But once you get on the ridgeline it gets a little easier. That 17 mile second day will be tough, no doubt, but start early, take lots of breaks, and plan to have dinner at Derrick's Knob shelter then hike the last 5.5 miles to Silers after dinner. You'll have plenty of daylight.

I like to take a long lunch break -- like 2 hours or so. Hike 8 miles in the morning, take a 2 hour break, then 8 miles in the afternoon. The break makes it seem like two easy 8 mile days. If you break it into 6 mile chunks, with 2 hour breaks, then 18 miles looks a little easier. Take advantage of all that daylight.

I just called this morning and got reservations for Jun 1-4, hiking sobo from Newfound Gap. Didn't get my first shelter choice, either, which means an 11+ mile day on the first day out the gate, after a 6 hour drive. Oh well, we'll deal with it. Just means a really early start, that's all.

fredmugs
05-02-2011, 14:22
Smoky Mtn. park rules say you have to both start AND finish 50 miles beyond park boundaries to qualify as a thru-hiker for purpose of avoiding shelter reservations.

I'm not sure that the AND part of that is true but if it is then just say you started at Deep Gap. Get reservations for what you can but if you can't get what you want go the thru hiker route.

B.B.
05-02-2011, 16:36
Thanks fredmugs...that is what I had decided to do...I naturally am an honest person though and not a good liar. We did actually hike that section (Deep Gap to Fontana) last October..I guess we could say we are thru hikers with a few months of zeroes in there...lol

sliderule
05-02-2011, 19:47
B.B. Got through this morning and got my reservations...not the shelter schedule I wanted but got reservations...my schedule is Mollies - Silers - Icewater Spring - Tri-Corner knob - Cosby knob starting on 2 June. I'm not a specimen of physical fitness so the big miles on day 2 and 3 are somewhat worriesome but guess I'll manage.

What you lack in fitness you make up for in ambition. Good luck!

B.B.
05-03-2011, 09:10
Got my reservations just like I wanted a little while ago...Guess I was persistent with the redial!!