PDA

View Full Version : Big Hat

chris
12-03-2002, 16:48
Does anyone know where I might get a truly widebrimmed hat? Something like an actual sombrero from old western flicks. Something like a Seattle Sombrero is not gaudy or large enough. I was thinking of getting a big hat and covering it in Mylar for some western desert hiking in the early spring. Besides looking ridiculous, it might provide some nice shade and leave my hands free.

Youngblood
12-03-2002, 17:32
Chris,

You might want to consider an umbrella hat for your dessert hiking. I think it would give the best ventilation and most coverage of any hat.

Youngblood

Don
12-04-2002, 10:19
Have a look at something like Target or K-Mart (or similar). Last summer Target had straw hats with huge brims. Might not be in stock as they are seasonal items but worth a quick check ...and...they were cheap!

Moose2001
12-04-2002, 14:03
Hi Chris... if you really want to be stylin.. you need both the hat and a kilt!! I think Don is right, Target or Kmart would be a good place to find what you're looking for.

Here.. check this out

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=5409

chris
12-04-2002, 14:16
Now that is a smooth hat! K-mart? Kavu makes a pretty nice Vietnamese/Chinese style hat that I was looking at, but it is made out of closed cell foam covered with fabric. I think it might be hot in the desert.

I'm not so sure that the kilt is for me, though. I just couldn't wear any underwear while wearing one and I think the desert sand might prove a wee bit irritating.

Hammock Hanger
12-04-2002, 14:59
I make a basic skirt out of lightweight polyester (like sport shorts) and a basic wrap. If anyone is interested let me know offline or on the WB email. Hammock Hanger

Lugnut
12-04-2002, 20:15
This sounds like the perfect use for the Urban Sombrero.

chris
12-05-2002, 10:02
Perhaps I could get some sort of sponsorship for the Urban Sombrero?