PDA

View Full Version : Toms Run Shelter vs Iron Masters Hostel

boernemom
05-02-2011, 11:26
I was wondering if it was worth it to hike the extra 3 miles (or is it longer?) from Tom's Run Shelter or stay at Iron Masters Hostel in Pine Grove Park? Anyone stayed there since it has re-opened? Do they seem to be ok with hikers just showing up? Fun Fun! See you on the trail soon! ~ Owl:sun

Cookerhiker
05-02-2011, 11:34
I SOBO section-hiked through there about 3 weeks ago but didn't take the time to check out the "new" Ironmasters. However, I camped (tented) at Toms Run and liked it. The 2 shelters are small but appear well-built. There's lots of good camping around the shelters and the water source was near and flowing quite nicely. Of course, it's early Spring but the stream seemed permanent to me.

Limo
05-02-2011, 20:07
I was at the Ironmaster's about a week ago. We had reservations but had the place to ourselves. If you walk up and a bed is available, they are happy to have you.

Panzer1
05-02-2011, 20:17
I would only stay at the hostel if I needed a shower.
If I was out for a short hike I would stay at the shelter.

Panzer

WingedMonkey
05-02-2011, 20:31
Part of the enjoyment of my stops there in the past was the ability to use the kitchen. What I was carrying and a few stock items in the cupboard and cooking on a real stove could make a nice meal. They no longer have an open kitchen.
If you plan to play tourist and visit the rest of the park and the museum it might be worth just a shower and a bed or not. You didn't say how long of a hike you were going on.

johnnybgood
05-02-2011, 20:35
Toms Run Shelters are across from one another with level ground amongst the hardwoods on which to pitch a tent and there's decent water source nearby.

boernemom
05-16-2011, 00:07
Sorry, left out that detail of the length of my adventure....3 weeks. :-) Thanks for all the great comments! Very helpful!

birchy
05-16-2011, 06:03
I.m a local trail maintainer in the area and either stop is a good one, just depends if you want comfort. Someone is also opening a hostel up on Big flat / Shippensburg Rd. Should be open in August

birchy
05-16-2011, 06:09
A local trail angel and trail maintainer is planning on opening a new hostel in just south of the A.T. halfway point. The hostel will be only 500 feet from the trail lands and in a secluded section of the Michaux State Forest. They are renovating a house and it should be ready by AUGUST maybe sooner. You can e-mail them at [email protected] or call at 717 352 4686 for more info. The owners are known for some serious TRAIL MAGIC read the registers in the area