PDA

View Full Version : Strange guy at Low Gap

hobby
05-02-2011, 11:59
I was at Low Gap shelter on Saturday night. There was a guy there telling unbelievable stories, mooching food and talking of yellow-blazing instead of hiking. He had apparently been there for more than one night. After I left, I remembered a character from a hiking book called 'Ranger Rick', I believe, that had the same MO. This guy also had a 'ranger' emblem on his t-shirt.
Is anyone familiar with 'Ranger Rick'? Could this be the same guy?

kanga
05-02-2011, 12:11
hey. was he older, lean, drunk, and hobo-ish?

hobby
05-02-2011, 12:24
This guy was maybe in his 40's-50's, grey hair. Not 'thru-hiker' lean, but not overweight. Acted drunk, but did not see him drinking. Was smoking roll-ur-own cigarettes, but did not smell like 'weed'. Yogi'd food, saying his food drop had not arrived. observed him roaming around others' tents, etc. Just a creepy sort of feeling from this guy.

earlyriser26
05-02-2011, 13:05
Unbelievable stories? Mooching food? Yellow blazing? Are you sure he wasn't a thru hiker?

mweinstone
05-02-2011, 13:09
best to walk on when you arrive at a squatted site such as this sounds. then snitch the hell out of the guy to a ridgerunner.

WingedMonkey
05-02-2011, 13:15
Hide your hot dogs.

kanga
05-02-2011, 13:30
This guy was maybe in his 40's-50's, grey hair. Not 'thru-hiker' lean, but not overweight. Acted drunk, but did not see him drinking. Was smoking roll-ur-own cigarettes, but did not smell like 'weed'. Yogi'd food, saying his food drop had not arrived. observed him roaming around others' tents, etc. Just a creepy sort of feeling from this guy.
that sounds like the crazy man that was at the april fools bash in franklin. said he was a thru but people said they'd seen him squatting at different shelters in ga. if that's him, he is a NUT-NUT and i know exactly what you mean about getting the creeps from him.

mweinstone
05-02-2011, 15:01
the correct thing to do is inform a ridgerunner.

remember meredith with respect , and love.

hobby
05-02-2011, 15:53
we left early on Sunday, he was still there and making no signs of leaving anytime soon. Probably just waiting for his next set of 'victims'. Will relay info to GATC

trailangelbronco
05-02-2011, 16:38
Maybe it is Osama BinLaden?

Wait, I guess not.

Speer Carrier
05-02-2011, 17:48
I was at Blue Mountain Shelter today and ran into two hikers who stayed at Low Gap last night (Sunday night) The only person they mentioned at Low Gap Sunday was my section overseer who was doing maintenance in the shelter area.

Of the two hikers I encountered, one was pretty young and quiet. The other was middle aged, and was planning on going to Helen to pick up a mail drop.

Neither looked or acted drunk or strange ( at least no stranger than a hundred other hikers I've encountered )

I'll ask my overseer if he remembers anyone who fits your description.

WingedMonkey
05-02-2011, 17:55
Neither looked or acted drunk or strange ( at least no stranger than a hundred other hikers I've encountered )

Hey...I represent that remark....:eek:

Magilla
05-02-2011, 17:57
Jeez, I stayed at Low Gap April 12th. There was a guy there then that had roll your own and kinda creep you out. But there was alot of other people there that night so I just avoided him. I thought he was on something then if its the same guy.

Papa D
05-02-2011, 21:01
did he have a PA accent - I met an older guy smoking roll-ups semi-living in the Rock Gap Shelter (in a pretty good snow) in January - he said he had done a thru-hike but then revealed that (as I suspected) he did quite a bit of yellow blazing - his story didn't really make sense, but wasn't complete b.s. either - I suspect it was a yarn laced with 1/2 truths - he called himself "Paul with Bunions." I gave him some coffee and a few batteries - he was sad and harmless - maybe I'll grow up to be like him - who knows - as long as he moves his camp from time to time and doesn't harass anyone, he's not breaking any laws, right?

mweinstone
05-02-2011, 22:11
maby right. and a simple talk with a leo will tell.

12ax7
05-02-2011, 22:57
did this feller holler something like a chicken...from time to time he wud yell cock.. oh god##m cock to the top of his lungs...

Dogwood
05-03-2011, 03:30
Let's see saturday night, humm! Ranger emblem on shirt? No! I was no where near Low Gap Shelter. Wasn't me.

Penguin
05-03-2011, 04:35
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ridge%20runner

So I looked up Ridge Runner in a dictionary, since I have no clue what one is, and came up with this. Seems like this guy might actually be a Ridge Runner. Did he have a beard?

Jim Adams
05-03-2011, 09:08
Graying black long hair, some military clothing, very dirty, looks like Charles Bronson?

This sounds like the guy that was at Hawk Mt. shelter back in March that I mentioned in the thread about a female hikers gear being stolen at Hawk.

If it is the same guy, he has only made it from Hawk Mt. to Low Gap in about 45 days. The description that was presented above matches him perfectly. He seemed harmless but definitely creepy.....what he did know about the trail was detailed but the times and placement of sites didn't fit.

geek

kanga
05-03-2011, 10:27
that's the creepy dude at the bash.

GSLeader_in_NC
05-03-2011, 10:52
If it is the same guy, my daughter and I saw him at Hawk Mountain Shelter last Monday night. I didn't find him creepy, just overtalkative and braggish. Also talked about "yellow blazing" and making it up to New Hampshire twice before he had to bail out, and that his wife was supportive of his hike (and I'm thinking, you're married?!?). I got put-off by his attitude - he pretty much ruined the "karma" at the shelter that night... I saw him again at Horse Gap the next day, and he had hitched a ride and was walking to Suches to beg for more food. I don't remember him with a beard, just a small backpack and a funny attitude. Guess he's harmless, but I wouldn't want to share a shelter with him... Glad I had my tent with me that night...

I mean really, if you're going to be a hobo in the woods, why not go to Virginia where the mountain ups and downs are a little more friendly... but GEORGIA???

Mizirlou
05-03-2011, 11:18
...I got put-off by his attitude - he pretty much ruined the "karma" at the shelter that night... Guess he's harmless...

Seems harmless? Yet also distinctly odd? I’d say he’s mimicking just enough normal social behavior to catch someone off guard.

Creek Dancer
05-03-2011, 11:30
What Mizirlou said.

In a situation like this, I would trust my instincts and move on.

GSLeader_in_NC
05-03-2011, 11:33
Mizirlou,

You're right... Never thought of that... It was my first night EVER on the AT, so I guess I still have a lot to learn about social behavior on the trail. I'm sure as time goes on, I'll be on the lookout - suffice to say I'm glad I didn't see him the second night. One day of food-mooching is enough for me!:)

generoll
05-03-2011, 13:39
I think this guy is in the Hiawassee area, possibly yellow blazing.

southpaw95
05-03-2011, 13:51
Celebrate Diversity!

WingedMonkey
05-03-2011, 13:56
LOL which one of the "trail angels" took him to the bash or told him about it?

:sun

Mizirlou
05-03-2011, 14:27
Mizirlou,
I guess I still have a lot to learn about social behavior on the trail. I'm sure as time goes on, I'll be on the lookout...

GSLeader, it’s good you’re talking about it. The trail has a fab grapevine of hikers, shuttlers, hostel owners, outfitters and WB -- word spreads. Safety above all else: if you see something suspicious, report it.

…and for those of you who are delightfully different, I don’t mean you. Rock on.

pilgrim1
05-03-2011, 14:39
[QUOTE=mweinstone;1153999]the correct thing to do is inform a ridgerunner.

i guess this is a crazy question but what is a ridgerunner?

kanga
05-03-2011, 15:03
people employed to hike sections of the trail, cleaning up trash, maintaining trails, etc. usually work 4 days on 3 off. at least they did 20 yrs ago. could be different now.

Jim Adams
05-03-2011, 17:15
If this is the same guy that I mentioned, he sort of looks like Charles Bronson in his prime.

geek

DapperD
05-03-2011, 17:45
Graying black long hair, some military clothing, very dirty, looks like Charles Bronson?

If this is the same guy that I mentioned, he sort of looks like Charles Bronson in his prime.

geekThey say only his friends got to call him Charlie:sun

Red Hat
05-03-2011, 17:57
[QUOTE=mweinstone;1153999]the correct thing to do is inform a ridgerunner.

i guess this is a crazy question but what is a ridgerunner?

The Georgia ridgerunner is hired by the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to walk the trail in Georgia. His responsibilities include seeing that hikers are safe, that they are educated about and follow Leave No Trace policies, to protect the trail and its wildlife, to pick up trash, to report damages (such as blowdowns) and to keep a count of hikers (thru, section, and day). He works in cooperation with the National Forest Service and is in touch by radio and cellphone. Special duties include bear patrol (such as when an area is closed to camping) and checking on possible vagrants who may try to live in shelters on the trail.

Papa D
05-03-2011, 18:27
Being often perceived as an "elitist" or purist or whatever on this site, I think that as a community we should celebrate diversity. If the guy bothered you that he should be avoided. If he harassed you, he should be reported, but if he is just "sketchy" in your opinion, you should move on but realize that the whole trail is made up of mis-fits of one sort of the other - some take the form of ultra-light gear geeks, thru-hikers, but some are old dudes in military garb - socialize with whom you want but celebrate that there are all kinds that make up the trail family.

mweinstone
05-03-2011, 19:16
no pappa d. this is the reason we have to wait till someone exsposes themselves or steals or freaks out off meds and screams at an old lady . no. we tell a ridgerunner when its this many reports. every year we have this situation and sometimes when out of needed meds or just when their criminaly minded, folks we love get hurt. so, with love at such a premium?.....we watch carfully and ask a ridgerunner to look into it. it saves the leo a trip if nothings amiss, and informs the vagrant of the squatting policys if not.

kanga
05-03-2011, 19:22
The Georgia ridgerunner is hired by the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to walk the trail in Georgia. His responsibilities include seeing that hikers are safe, that they are educated about and follow Leave No Trace policies, to protect the trail and its wildlife, to pick up trash, to report damages (such as blowdowns) and to keep a count of hikers (thru, section, and day). He works in cooperation with the National Forest Service and is in touch by radio and cellphone. Special duties include bear patrol (such as when an area is closed to camping) and checking on possible drifters who may try to live in shelters on the trail. He works 5 days on and 2 off when the trail is busiest in Feb, Mar, and April. Then he switches to 10 on and 4 off when is is less busy in May, June, and July. He works weekends and all holidays, when crowds are around.
thank you ma'am!

kanga
05-03-2011, 19:25
Being often perceived as an "elitist" or purist or whatever on this site, I think that as a community we should celebrate diversity. If the guy bothered you that he should be avoided. If he harassed you, he should be reported, but if he is just "sketchy" in your opinion, you should move on but realize that the whole trail is made up of mis-fits of one sort of the other - some take the form of ultra-light gear geeks, thru-hikers, but some are old dudes in military garb - socialize with whom you want but celebrate that there are all kinds that make up the trail family.
that's a great idea in theory. however, please keep gmh in mind when you think about this. there is no harm in having a ridge runner check him out. hikers need to look out for each other and this guy doesn't seem to be doing much hiking. while i have no problem with the occasional oddball in the woods, knowing that many are not as lucky in life as i am, this guy sounds a bit off and people should be aware of him. nobody's saying he's a terrorist.

JAK
05-03-2011, 19:47
I think Papa D. said pretty much the same as all of you. It's just a personal judgement call which category to place someone in, any given instance. Trust your instincts. Use your own judgement. Know when to report, when to simply avoid, and when to leave well enough alone, in order to keep yourself and your community safe and happy. Isn't that more or less what we all are saying? We won't all agree though, in any given instance, what category to place someone in. Interesting discussion.

Here is another thought. How do you avoid appearing sketchy, when hiking alone on the AT for the first time? I think this is especially hard sometimes for men once they reach a certain age like 40-50 or so. It's like a second awkward age. You might just want to hike, but there are always going to be people that find you suspect. So what do you do?

Personally I think the answer is to avoid the crowd, maybe hike SOBO, and make a few friends so that people understand what you are all about and what your intentions are. Some people are still going to find you sketchy though. Just the way life is.

Keeping in touch with a few friends is also a good way to avoid actually becoming sketchy. That is important. No man is an island.

JAK
05-03-2011, 19:49
A good wife is important, of course. They don't always want to hike with you though.

mweinstone
05-03-2011, 20:06
jak, i respectfully strongly dissagre with each and every point you make.

generoll
05-03-2011, 20:47
FWIW. this guy or another just like him spent the night in Hiawassee. I offered to drive several hikers out to the trail using Rons van this morning and some dude was front and center to get on the van. A couple of the other hikers then came up to me and pointed the guy out to me as trouble and asked what could be done about him. One of the hikers flatly refused to go back on the trail if the person in question was going to be in the same section of trail. While this was taking place, the guy in question did a fast disappearing act and when I asked them where he was all they could say was that he took off into town.

So, probably over reaction, but I do remember Gary Hilton and Meredith Emerson. In the absence of a crystal ball we just have to trust our instincts.
Not all of the hikers were afraid of him, but all of them considered his behavior unusual. And this is a community of the unusual. It takes something to stand out in this crowd.

Mizirlou
05-03-2011, 20:53
In the absence of a crystal ball we just have to trust our instincts.

Solid info. Thanks.

For the naysayers: Hikers count on each other for safety so why make light of another person’s concerns? If they’re concerned enough to mention it here, listen up and give them an audience. People have different eyeballs to see with. Some see nothing but goodness and light; they’re probably the nicest people to be around. But other eyeballs have seen the dark side; they’re probably the safest ones to be around. The ones who make fun aren’t the type I’d depend on.

mweinstone
05-03-2011, 22:30
the hiker in question is in question as to weather hes hiking questionabley.
suggestion? 911 . he has a warrent or my name aint falsly accuseing a stranger.

mweinstone
05-03-2011, 22:33
hate knowing whos a fake. right now theres a poster here who i know personaly whos lieing. but its not my buissness in this world we live in. nor is it important. but hate it.

JAK
05-04-2011, 00:56
jak, i respectfully strongly dissagre with each and every point you make.... and I agree with you, which makes it all the more interesting.

hobby
05-04-2011, 09:55
GSLeader #21
Generoll #41
Sounds like the same guy. He did mention hiking in NH in 'chest deep' snow!

JAK "I think this is especially hard sometimes for men once they reach a certain age like 40-50 or so. It's like a second awkward age."
-----I resemble that remark! lol

This guy is just uncomfortable to be around. Be careful out there!

mweinstone
05-04-2011, 10:03
GSLeader #21
Generoll #41
Sounds like the same guy. He did mention hiking in NH in 'chest deep' snow!

JAK "I think this is especially hard sometimes for men once they reach a certain age like 40-50 or so. It's like a second awkward age."
-----I resemble that remark! lol

This guy is just uncomfortable to be around. Be careful out there!

i like codes. this looks like one. a date code. the #sign is for month. the first number is witch month and the 1 is the first of a new month with a new name that changes to include a sylable from the month. as in "geneROLL" and phoneticaly,"apROLL"
the GSleader is for georgia start.
not.
next.

hobby
05-04-2011, 10:12
or it could be the number of a previous posting. No---thats too complicated for a code system

JAK
05-04-2011, 10:39
There are probably a number of people that are more strange than dangerous, for a number of reasons perhaps many of us can relate to. I think in general it behooves men, especially older men with more experience in odd sorts of people and behavior, to do more to keep an eye on people such as that. Check people out. Make sure they are ok. Make sure they are not dangerous. Ladies need to be more careful. That's just the way it is. If I fellow does seem odd enough, to be a danger to himself or others, then it makes sense to let people know so that people are forewarned and authourities can take a closer look. Still, if you run off all the odd-balls, you won't have anyone left to check for odd-balls.

GSLeader_in_NC
05-04-2011, 15:43
Actually, GSLeader stands for "Girl Scout Leader" in North Carolina.:) I've been proudly leading my troop of girls for 6 years now. I've watched them grow up, and now they're all high schoolers! :)

They are very "into" the outdoors. We have gone on numerous Girl Scout camping adventures, and then progressed to 12-mile day hikes on the Art Loeb Trail, weekend TN caving and NC backpacking trips, ziplining adventures, and we took an extended week-long trip to Williamsburg a few years ago. Now that they are sooo busy in high school, our time together is limited...

Now that I've got the hiking and backpacking bug, I am starting the AT - only a few days here and there when I get free time (after all, I'm a mom of three, have a job I love, and I husband I can't live without for very long). It might take me 30 years to hike the entire trail, but I'm proud to say my daughter and I started at Springer last Monday and made it to Woody Gap by Wednesday morning before the tornadoes and bad weather cut my trip a day short.:( I can't wait to go out again!

WildTomato
05-05-2011, 05:40
My son called me when he got to his next town and I told him my concerns, and read to him from this thread some of my concerns about this person and others like him.

He swears he spend a night in a shelter when this guy was in it, I told him how some here says he looks like Charles Bronson, and the odd behavior. This was at Low Gap just the other day.

He said the guy was really sketchy, and kept talking about how he is a 'master yellow blazer' and that he was in no big hurry to get to 'Daddy Katadin', and that his wife encourages him to hike. He said he was a thru hiker and did it every year. He pulled out a 6 pack from his pack and started to drink it. He constantly asked for food from everyone in the shelter. Then my son really got nervous when the guy pulled out a big knife and started to talk about how the 'blade does not lie' and that his knife is 'laser sharp' and can cut through a 'Bear's bone'. ( whatever the hell that means ) He says the knife was not a pocket knife or a leatherman type, but a 14 inch 'bowie' type. For what reason this guy has it on the AT is beyond me.

My Son decided to move from the shelter around 1 AM when he woke up this guy 'doing fighting moves' in front a fire he started, with the same bowie knife while talking to himself. For my son to move camp at 1AM and set up a tent right on the trail means this really spooked him, and he is taking a few days off the trail in the hope this guy will move on ahead of him.

Now I am worried because this guy seems not to be hiking at all, but slackpacking or mooching off real thru-hikers. The guy from what Rodney ( my son ) says gives off a really creep vibe, and he describes him as similar to patients he sees as a therapist.

Patients who have schizophrenia.

WildTomato
05-05-2011, 05:45
Some mistakes to correct, sorry!

This should read: around 1 AM when he woke up TO this guy 'doing fighting moves'

Lemni Skate
05-05-2011, 06:03
I for one like to have the info on somebody like this. This summer my wife, myself and our high school cross country coach are taking some of my daughter's cross country team aged 13-17 trail running. While we'll have a person in front of the kids, one in the middle of the pack and one in the back we'd still like to know if there's somebody out there to tell everyone to "run on past."

Don't get me wrong. I am so excited for these great kids to get to sit down and chat with backpackers; we want the kids to meet all the cool characters out on the trail (and we're going to take them out for a couple days of trail work before our week of running), but you can't take chances with kids.

My top advice to the kids is:
1) stay on the trail
2) stay with a partner
3) if somebody gives you a bad feeling keep moving
4) leave no trace

Lone Wolf
05-05-2011, 07:15
leave the guy alone. he's not breakin' any laws. y'all sound elitist

the goat
05-05-2011, 07:36

ditto. leave him alone.

Jim Adams
05-05-2011, 11:06
This is the same guy as Hawk Mt. Shelter...I remember the knife and the same dialog. He never threatened or harmed anyone but he is creepy!

geek

tolkien
05-05-2011, 11:11
weirdos are weirods. period. nothing wrong with warning others about some nutjob with a knife.

WingedMonkey
05-05-2011, 13:29
STOP feeding him.

Penguin
05-05-2011, 14:04
"this guy isn't breaking any laws"!!?!?!!?

Even in Arizona it is illegal to threaten someone with a huge knife. It seems that that's what happened to Wild Tomatos son. When you pull a knife on someone and imply that you could kill them with it. That's got to fall into some sort of Felony harassment category. Personally I would have told him I didn't want to see his stupid knife and ask why he feels so insecure, "perhaps there's trouble at home, sir?" Then preach to him for hours on the merits of ultra light backpacking and LNT. Then ask him about Jesus. Then talk about my anus for a while, and how my bowels have been really loose. Just keep interrupting him and telling him he's wrong until he has a mental breakdown. I hate being kept up by crazy people.

Old Hiker
05-05-2011, 14:07

..............Just keep interrupting him and telling him he's wrong until he has a mental breakdown. ...........

It's the "mental breakdown" of a guy with a large knife that I'd worry about! :D

WingedMonkey
05-05-2011, 14:26

I agree. Now would somebody please give him a ride to Damascus and drop him off at The Place?
:D

Penguin
05-05-2011, 14:37
:) Yeah I should have continued along the thought process before choosing that route. Much to early to think, now I've had my caffeine it should be all right.

Gray Blazer
05-05-2011, 14:48
I agree. Now would somebody please give him a ride to Damascus and drop him off at The Place?

That's funny right there.

generoll
05-05-2011, 14:52
you'll want to take a detour to allow him to replenish his stash. one of the hikers said he woke up around 4am at Blue Mountain Shelter and the guy was burning one. when he asked him what was going on the guy said he needed to smoke all his dope before he hit town so he wouldn't be holding, just in case.

Then you can drop him at The Place.

mweinstone
05-05-2011, 14:58
gypsy and lwolf lived well into their 90's. then a man came to the door with a peice of brown paper with some numbers on it. he said his father had sold lwolf the house years ago and had no right to do so. his hnd scribbled receipt had lwolfs signature on it from back on that day years ago he bought the house from a guy at dots. lwolf was just passin thru damascus and was a newbee thru and thru. so they had to give back the house and went to live in the shelter north of town. but nobody ever called the cops on them for being weird and old and living in the shelter.

Pedaling Fool
05-05-2011, 18:21
That guy ain't breaking no laws; it's just that some hikers think that scaring them does break a law. And hikers are easy to scare.

Gray Blazer
05-05-2011, 18:32
gypsy and lwolf lived well into their 90's. then a man came to the door with a peice of brown paper with some numbers on it. he said his father had sold lwolf the house years ago and had no right to do so. his hnd scribbled receipt had lwolfs signature on it from back on that day years ago he bought the house from a guy at dots. lwolf was just passin thru damascus and was a newbee thru and thru. so they had to give back the house and went to live in the shelter north of town. but nobody ever called the cops on them for being weird and old and living in the shelter.

... and what is the meaning of this parable, master?

mweinstone
05-05-2011, 18:44
matthewski: so, your like mooching off my hikers and given out creeps free?

weirdo: who the hell are you?

matthewski; exactly.

weirdo: what the hells your problum pal?

matthewski: your mooching and your creeping out hikers.

weirdo: you dont know me pal.

matthewski: i know im asking a cop to check you out at my next conveinience.

weirdo:you do that pal.

matthewski: this is matthew weinstone , im a hiker on the appalachian trail at low gap. theres a man here who is this seasons weirdo and is creeping everyone out , mooching and liveing in shelters not hiking. he tells unbeliveable storys and scopes out hikers belongings possibly. he seems suspicious and is causeing some hikers to worry for their saftey. thank you mamm.

weirdo: dude, your crazy. im outta here.
matthewski:dont let the privy door hit you on the way out.

mweinstone
05-05-2011, 18:58
heres what we know.
in my years of hiking ive had to do this. what happens is this.
the minute the weirdo is banashed, everyone is empowered, feels better, has a good time for the first time since the ruination of fun by freak began. its like a fog is lifted. folks are suddenly reminded of how simple and how very okay it is to act on gut feelings. folks begin retelling of the weirdos worst moments with laughter, but when the incedents took place, there was no jokeing around. just stress. people then can juxtapose the two perspectives and see the power of evil to destroy is great. one weirdo can sour a camp formerly full of fun and laughter. and the opposite is true. one action of faith and conviction in the name of right can do alot to rid evil from your happy camp.
what sometimes happens next is a leo will find one of your group and thank you for your good looking out. they may inform you the person was checked out and found harmless. but they will allways renforce to you that they are there for this sort of thing and that you did the right thing. in the event the guy is arrested for warrents or other , your groupe can be proud to have helped make the trail safer for all.
their is no shame in following your gut or getting helped by a leo.

TIDE-HSV
05-05-2011, 19:29
OK, for starters, I'm doing a little surfing to take my mind off all the death and destruction around me here and my beloved university. Here's what's bothering me. Here, in Huntsville, we had a mass murder a year ago, by a PHD professor originally from Massachusetts. Now, she didn't dance around with a knife, after begging food, but she did do a few "weird" things, like killing her brother with a shotgun and sending a bomb to a professor with whom she was displeased. People have come forward and stated that they saw the murder coming - that, as soon as they heard about the shooting, they knew exactly who had done it because they'd predicted that it might happen. There was a massive abdication of responsibility and several people are dead as a result. There are several people dead in the southern Appalachians because nobody blew the whistle on a weirdo. IMO, this particular guy blew his "weirdo get-out-of-jail-free" card, when he pulled out his knife. Weirdos with butcher knives which they flash in association with begging for food call for assumption of responsibility and not an abdication. This guy sounds like the next logical candidate for a multiple page thread in the future about what a shame it was that nobody did anything about it until too late. (BTW, he has indeed committed a criminal offense.)

Lone Wolf
05-05-2011, 19:47
buncha paranoid elitists.

generoll
05-05-2011, 20:01
gotta admire a man who sticks to his opinions.

Deb
05-05-2011, 20:09
FWIW. this guy or another just like him spent the night in Hiawassee. I offered to drive several hikers out to the trail using Rons van this morning and some dude was front and center to get on the van. A couple of the other hikers then came up to me and pointed the guy out to me as trouble and asked what could be done about him. One of the hikers flatly refused to go back on the trail if the person in question was going to be in the same section of trail. While this was taking place, the guy in question did a fast disappearing act and when I asked them where he was all they could say was that he took off into town.

So, probably over reaction, but I do remember Gary Hilton and Meredith Emerson. In the absence of a crystal ball we just have to trust our instincts.
Not all of the hikers were afraid of him, but all of them considered his behavior unusual. And this is a community of the unusual. It takes something to stand out in this crowd.

OK, this isn't enought for you?

tolkien
05-05-2011, 20:29
That guy ain't breaking no laws; it's just that some hikers think that scaring them does break a law. And hikers are easy to scare.
He was smoking pot. It's illegal, even if the hippe trash doesnt want it to be.

tolkien
05-05-2011, 20:30
If somebody is scoping out others belongings and waving around a knife, they're a freak. Plain and simple. Some people are just off.

Lone Wolf
05-05-2011, 20:37
If somebody is scoping out others belongings and waving around a knife, they're a freak. Plain and simple. Some people are just off.

stay away from shelters. real walkers don't need them

Lone Wolf
05-05-2011, 20:38

most "thru_hikers do also. that's why dogs sniff "The Place"

Pedaling Fool
05-05-2011, 21:09
Hmmm :-? I'm guessing you've never been on the AT. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but you must know that that comment showed your ignorance.

Kind of a funny story: I was eating at a shelter once and started talking with another guy, who turns out was a cop just out for a hike. When a few other hikers came up started unpacking and broke out a joint and offered to us...

Bottomline, it's all around and the cop didn't even bother to tell them he was a cop. He was on vacation -- and no he didn't smoke. Pot is all around the AT. Anyone that has spent time on the AT knows this. So if he did break a law in that respect for all we know many of the people he offended break the same law.

JAK
05-05-2011, 21:18
First they came for the hiker trash,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't hiker trash.

Then they came for the weirdos,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a weirdo.

Then they came for the waragathingies,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a waragathingy.

Then they came for me
and I had no freaking idea what took them so long.

Trailbender
05-05-2011, 23:29
Waving a knife around however, and talking about it being laser sharp, ect, I would see as a perceived threat and that would definitely be reported. I do carry a fixed blade knife, but it is a 4" blade and appears exactly as what it is, a tool. I have made equipment repairs with it, as well as sharpened it in a shelter, and had no comments or anyone acting scared. I wasn't saying weird stuff about wanting to stab people and waving it around, though.

Blue Jay
05-06-2011, 08:01
First they came for the hiker trash,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't hiker trash.

Then they came for the weirdos,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a weirdo.

Then they came for the waragathingies,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a waragathingy.

Then they came for me
and I had no freaking idea what took them so long.

My new favorite post of all time:banana Thank you, I needed that.

Pedaling Fool
05-06-2011, 08:30
OK, for starters, I'm doing a little surfing to take my mind off all the death and destruction around me here and my beloved university. Here's what's bothering me. Here, in Huntsville, we had a mass murder a year ago, by a PHD professor originally from Massachusetts. Now, she didn't dance around with a knife, after begging food, but she did do a few "weird" things, like killing her brother with a shotgun and sending a bomb to a professor with whom she was displeased. People have come forward and stated that they saw the murder coming - that, as soon as they heard about the shooting, they knew exactly who had done it because they'd predicted that it might happen. There was a massive abdication of responsibility and several people are dead as a result. There are several people dead in the southern Appalachians because nobody blew the whistle on a weirdo. IMO, this particular guy blew his "weirdo get-out-of-jail-free" card, when he pulled out his knife. Weirdos with butcher knives which they flash in association with begging for food call for assumption of responsibility and not an abdication. This guy sounds like the next logical candidate for a multiple page thread in the future about what a shame it was that nobody did anything about it until too late. (BTW, he has indeed committed a criminal offense.)
I'm all for people that get the creeps about someone and move on -- no problem with that. And Kanga is probably right, this guy sounds like a nut-nut:) But it's kind of pathetic how some of these threads evolve.

As for him committing a criminal offense. What was it? I admit haven't been following this thread that closely, but someone said in response to WildTomato's thread that this guy broke the law. Don't see any law breaking in those specific posts.

What should we do with the weirdos? I'm all for contacting the cops if there's something specific that may be investigated, but if someone is just acting weird they can't really do anything, especially on the trail. It's a whole different situation if this happened in a work place environment.

Beachcomber
05-06-2011, 08:45
In North Carolina, there is an offense called "Communicating threats." Not having seen just how this character was brandishing his pig-sticker, I'll defer judgment about whether his remarks about "cutting bear bones" constituted an illegal threat. But the point is that statements or actions meant to intimidate can, in fact, be grounds for prosecution.

Pedaling Fool
05-06-2011, 08:48
In North Carolina, there is an offense called "Communicating threats." Not having seen just how this character was brandishing his pig-sticker, I'll defer judgment about whether his remarks about "cutting bear bones" constituted an illegal threat. But the point is that statements or actions meant to intimidate can, in fact, be grounds for prosecution.
I agree, but how many hikers are going to have the resolve to be a part of that process, including everyone that posted here. You can't just report and forget. They seem to think that once you report the guy you've done your job. That's one reason these type of threads make me :rolleyes:

generoll
05-06-2011, 09:39
does anyone know anything about a guy called "Steve O" in AWOLs book? one of the hikers seemed to recall the character and said this guy fit the physical description and his actions matched. ring any bells?

moshi
05-06-2011, 10:06
Why has nobody stealthed a picture of this guy?

It should be done. For many reasons.

If you know there is a guy hanging around Low Gap shltr cruise on towards Poplar Stamp & Cold Springs Gap. There are some really nice sites in that area.

I would gladly hike an additional mile or two to be free of the nuisance.

Personally I think the guy is just screwing with people. Aggressive panhandlers tend to get more than passive panhandlers.

I have had two events that cause me to be concerned about this fellow.

The first was in 1999 when some mess of a 300# guy w/ a 100# pack came in to Hawk Mtn shltr at about 11pm and proceeded to tell me that he was packing heat and had come hiking to commit suicide. He just had not decided whether he was going to jump or pull the trigger. Interesting conversation that night.

The second was a caretaker at Stone Mtn who told me that he had seen Meredith Emerson's killer coming out of the woods with a shovel many years ago. Apparently he hung around Stone Mtn Campground. He reported it to the police, but nothing ever came of it. He is certain that the guy (name?) has buried bodies out there.

Where are Gypsy and wolf now? I remember that story. Trek is okay. I assume Bear is still running around.

One of you hikers needs to get a picture of this guy while he is distracted by others.

Trailbender
05-06-2011, 14:05

Or self defense with a lethal weapon in response.

bfayer
05-06-2011, 17:25

Actually in GA if he was concealing a a knife over 5 inches designed for offensive or defensive purpose he is. I would also say based on the description of him pulling out a 14 inch knife and demonstrating fighting moves he was.

Additionally possession a knife over 3 inches in GA while in possession of a controlled substance or while committing any crime against or involving the person of another can be a felony. Disorderly conduct means you acted in a violent or tumultuous manner toward another person that put them in fear of their safety and is considered a crime against another person.

There is no doubt in my mind that based on the statements posted on here, he has violated the law in several ways.

I not saying you or anyone else needs to care, I'm just saying it sure looks like he broke the law to me, and any LEO that is investigating a report would most likely feel the same way, and once they found the knife it would be all up to the prosecutor and jury.

tolkien
05-06-2011, 21:36
"Yall sound elitist". Somebody explain to me the similarity between not being a knife-wielding weirdo, and being better than everybody else?

In my opinion, I am better than almost everybody else on this forum, and I take offense to the idea that you assume that I don't have a sword-like weapon with me. That is profiling, and I am deeply hurt. I go hiking to get away from the stereotypes that I, as a knife-wielding elitist, face every day. You have no how hard it is to have be a narcissist AND an armed psycho.

tolkien
05-06-2011, 21:41
Hmmm :-? I'm guessing you've never been on the AT. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but you must know that that comment showed your ignorance.

Kind of a funny story: I was eating at a shelter once and started talking with another guy, who turns out was a cop just out for a hike. When a few other hikers came up started unpacking and broke out a joint and offered to us...

Bottomline, it's all around and the cop didn't even bother to tell them he was a cop. He was on vacation -- and no he didn't smoke. Pot is all around the AT. Anyone that has spent time on the AT knows this. So if he did break a law in that respect for all we know many of the people he offended break the same law.
Just because people chose to ignore a law doesnt mean it isnt still a law that ought to be followed like any other. You cant draw a line in the sand about which laws it's ok to break and expect society to not be harmed in the process. And I live in a college town, so believe me when I say that I am well exposed to it, and take my word I contact the authorities whenever I get an opportunity.

Skidsteer
05-06-2011, 21:42
...You have no how hard it is to have be a narcissist AND an armed psycho.

Of course I do.

bfayer
05-06-2011, 22:39
Just because people chose to ignore a law doesnt mean it isnt still a law that ought to be followed like any other. You cant draw a line in the sand about which laws it's ok to break and expect society to not be harmed in the process. And I live in a college town, so believe me when I say that I am well exposed to it, and take my word I contact the authorities whenever I get an opportunity.

I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

For the most part I am live and let live, but when someone decides to "light up" around me and my kids, I ask them to find another place to have their fun, if they don't, I will drop a dime faster then they can hide their stash. It's a big trail out there, and if someone wants to smoke pot, that is up to them, all they need to do is find somewhere me and my kids are not. Thank goodness the vast majority of people are respectful, polite and have common sense. Not being willing to put up with the few that are not, does not make me an elitist it makes me normal.

mweinstone
05-07-2011, 00:38
children are the future. we gotta watch out for them good.

The_Truth
05-07-2011, 10:55
Just because people chose to ignore a law doesnt mean it isnt still a law that ought to be followed like any other. You cant draw a line in the sand about which laws it's ok to break and expect society to not be harmed in the process.

Like a black lady sitting at the front of a bus?

Not all laws are good, just, or moral. It is up to the citizens to challenge laws in order to make sure they are fair and true.

Shaw said, "... all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

Beachcomber
05-07-2011, 11:27

Not all laws are good, just, or moral. It is up to the citizens to challenge laws in order to make sure they are fair and true.

Thoreau, Gandhi, Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King, the Freedom Riders: All challenged unjust laws, all expected to pay a price, and all spent time in jail for their principled positions. My point: if you intend a flout a law you find unjust, be prepared to face the consequences. My opinion: this doesn't especially apply to the hiker burning one in the presence of others who support our current drug laws. That just combines bad taste with bad judgment.

TallShark
05-07-2011, 12:19
I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

For the most part I am live and let live, but when someone decides to "light up" around me and my kids, I ask them to find another place to have their fun, if they don't, I will drop a dime faster then they can hide their stash. It's a big trail out there, and if someone wants to smoke pot, that is up to them, all they need to do is find somewhere me and my kids are not. Thank goodness the vast majority of people are respectful, polite and have common sense. Not being willing to put up with the few that are not, does not make me an elitist it makes me normal. But this is completely acceptable. everyone just needs to use their discretion.

moshi
05-07-2011, 16:06

Seriously?

You should really quit the drugs.

To attempt to equate the struggle that Rosa Parks, Dr. King and countless others suffered
through with marijuana use on the AT (or anywhere) is absurd.

Mark Twain - “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”

For the record, I agree with your premise that a law making something illegal or legal does not necessarily meant that the defined action or substance is wrong or good.

Just leave Ms. Parks and Dr. King out of your legalize pot shenanigans.

Thanks,

Al Sharpton

moshi
05-07-2011, 16:10
Besides the issue here is not smoking dope on the AT, but the strange guy @ low gap shelter.

I am sure you can start a doper hiker thread somewhere else to talk about how repressive the man is, how unjust the laws are, and how non-users are squares.

Penguin
05-07-2011, 16:23
@Moshi,
Laws are laws it's perfectly acceptable to equate pot with Rosa Parks breaking the law, or Jesus breaking Roman law, or Galileo violating church law. All the same. People need to stand up against oppression wherever possible. And no I don't illegally smoke marijuana, so you don't need to bring that up in your rebuttal.

Pedaling Fool
05-07-2011, 19:39

I don't think he was equating drug laws with civil rights. Maybe could have picked a better analogy, but....

Pedaling Fool
05-07-2011, 19:43
So what were we talking about:confused: :D

Woodturner
05-07-2011, 20:29
But back to the subject……
In 1978 I rehiked from Springer to Wesser. Somewhere around Tray mountain I ran into a guy who called himself “Mack” and claimed to be a USFS employee patrolling the AT. I’m not sure if there even was a ridge runner program at that time but this guy didn’t come across as legitimate.
I remember him as being maybe five foot 9 or 10 with bad teeth. Granted, this was over thirty years ago. Nonetheless the guy being discussed sounds so much like the one I met that I have to wonder if it’s the same guy.

Jim Adams
05-07-2011, 21:37
In 1978 I rehiked from Springer to Wesser. Somewhere around Tray mountain I ran into a guy who called himself “Mack” and claimed to be a USFS employee patrolling the AT. I’m not sure if there even was a ridge runner program at that time but this guy didn’t come across as legitimate.
I remember him as being maybe five foot 9 or 10 with bad teeth. Granted, this was over thirty years ago. Nonetheless the guy being discussed sounds so much like the one I met that I have to wonder if it’s the same guy.
this one is too young to be him.

geek

JAK
05-07-2011, 23:09
Then there was this Low Guy at Strange Gap.
He hiked through sideways.

Point Man Chef
05-07-2011, 23:57
Then there was this Low Guy at Strange Gap.
He hiked through sideways.

Did you see him? Were you able to stealth snap a photo on your phone? I think I know him.:D

WildTomato
05-08-2011, 04:22
Guys, I have some more info on what took place and about my son. My son called me again today and I told him how they have a page up on this site all about this guy, so that he is not alone in his estimation of him.

My son is still in town, waiting for this guy to move on but I told him how he probably is a hobo. But pulling out that 14 inch bowie knife and talking the way he did freaked him out, and his hiking buddy was so freaked out he called home to get his wife to send him his firearm, and he will not be stepping back on the trail without his sidearm.

WildTomato
05-08-2011, 04:31
I hit enter by mistake before I was done! Darn.

The guy who sent for his gun is a veteran of the first Iraq war, and of the current one. He is out doing the trail for the first time like my son, I suggest to him he stay close to the veteran with the gun.

My son does not freak out easily, so I am sure this guy is froot loops and dangerous. Everyone plays it off as if it is nothing, or 'odd behavior', or whatever. But when a guy pulls out a 14 inch bowie combat knife, says things like ' the blade does not lie' and 'it is laser shape' and 'it can cut through a bear's bones', then wakes everyone up at 1AM after starting a large fire to do mock combat moves in front of the fire - SAFETY comes first. Another 'clue' my son told me is that he was doing the combat moves at 1AM in front of the fire in just his boxers. (!)

The guy was talking to the knife as it it were a person for Christ sakes. He is clearly mentally unstable, and probably dangerous. Who knows what will set him off. I just do not want something tragic to happen, so I see nothing wrong with talking about this guy.
Far too often people say nothing and then tragedy happens with bloodshed, because the person was 'just odd' or something like that.

I have personally called the closest police office to the shelter, wrote a to the point letter to the ATC, and am thinking about somehow contacting various forest services and rangers, anything. This guy needs to be talked to at the least to gauge his mental stability and threat level.

Pedaling Fool
05-08-2011, 08:02
What kind of mileage is this guy making? Where is he now? If your son is so freaked out why doesn't he just contact the cops himself, same with all the other hikers?

hobby
05-08-2011, 12:00

I did not know my original post would create such a response! I did some research and found the original reference in David Brill's book "As Far as the Eye Can See". The guy in question in his book was "Ranger Mack" (not Ranger Rick as I had recalled). aka Mountain Man Mack. Yes, he had the same method of operation, but now i don't think it is the same guy. He, just not old enough to have been the guy from 30 years ago.

But----This guy in question now is every bit as weird. Glad I did not see 'the knife'. We tented away from the shelter. I am glad that I brought this guy up though. At least others are forewarned.

tolkien
05-08-2011, 21:57
Is this guy probably going to be there for awhile? Because I'm coming up next year and the main attraction of the AT is to get away from nutjobs with weapons.

WildTomato
05-08-2011, 22:59
Good news, Jetski ( my son ) and Warrior have gone back to the trail after Warrior's package arrived. They are not afraid anymore.

I really wanted to come with him this year but I have to work! ( So I can go next year!) I am set up so I can thru every other year, and next year is SOBO for me which is a first and is exciting.

Everyone stay safe and trust only the trustworthy!

jfan
05-09-2011, 03:56
Good news, Jetski ( my son ) and Warrior have gone back to the trail after Warrior's package arrived. They are not afraid anymore.

I really wanted to come with him this year but I have to work! ( So I can go next year!) I am set up so I can thru every other year, and next year is SOBO for me which is a first and is exciting.

Everyone stay safe and trust only the trustworthy!

Unless Warrior's wife and the receiving party both have federal firearms dealer licenses, they couldn't have shipped or received a handgun. I don't usually pay heed to weinstone's odd posts, but this story's got some major flags.

WildTomato
05-09-2011, 05:25
I have no idea how his wife sent him his sidearm, but I do know that Warrior is retired from the military after serving in the first and second Iraq wars. I too was shocked at how quickly he was able to get his sidearm sent to him. The next time I talk with my son I will ask him if he could bring it up with the gentleman.

I am just glad my son is traveling with a Marine.

Skid.
05-09-2011, 07:11
Trail hobo. Met one very much like that at Port Clinton two years ago, same MO.

generoll
05-09-2011, 09:13
Unless Warrior's wife and the receiving party both have federal firearms dealer licenses, they couldn't have shipped or received a handgun. I don't usually pay heed to weinstone's odd posts, but this story's got some major flags.

You can ship a handgun via UPS overnight air. You need a FFL to sell a handgun via the mail, but it doesn't sound like a FFL was necessary for this transaction.

now, getting back to the original thread, since the subject of this thread does a lot of yellow blazing (according to second hand accounts by those who met him), it'll be interesting to see if this guy stands out at Traildays.

LoneRidgeRunner
05-09-2011, 10:05

My thought exactly...maybe he thinks you guys are "weird" Every body freaks out when they meet someone who isn't exactly like them... any one this afraid of the woods should stay out of the woods...If he hasn't stolen anything or set the woods on firs..etc..he hasn't broken any laws.... He talks too much? Maybe he's been in the woods a long time... it could be he's just "friendly"..much more so than some of you guys...

LoneRidgeRunner
05-09-2011, 10:15

Even in Arizona it is illegal to threaten someone with a huge knife.

No where has any one said he "threatened" anyone with a knife...As far as doing "fighting " moves by the fire...maybe he's a Martial Artist practicing...I was once an active Martial Artist. (was 2nd degree black belt. 15 years ago.not any more..stopped practicing..and NO... NOT bragging..just making a point) I practiced by doing pre-arranged fighting moves (called Katas in the Japanese styles of Martial Arts).. It could be he did this in the middle of the night to try to avoid freaking out narrow minded people who are afraid of anything they don't fully understand) Most won't practice in the company of others unless they are in the Dojo or in the company of like minded individuals...If I took my chucks or bow staff to the woods I would do any practicing I did out of sight or when people were asleep too.. Maybe he was trying to NOT freak people out...

LoneRidgeRunner
05-09-2011, 10:19

Good point...any one who scares this easily should stay at home...lol..

LoneRidgeRunner
05-09-2011, 10:24

yep.... ten characters

LoneRidgeRunner
05-09-2011, 10:29

woooohhh..and a pot smoker is most definitly a very dangerous menace to society to be feared until hell freezes over.:rolleyes: .NOT... they're usually the most peacfull people on Earth..unlike many drunks who get loud mouthed obnoxious and violent (not saying ALL drunks are that way, but there's a much higher percentage of violent drunks than there are pot heads) Having been both in the past and associating with both in the past is how I know these facts..

LoneRidgeRunner
05-09-2011, 10:33
most "thru_hikers do also. that's why dogs sniff "The Place"

Another quote of wisdom from LW...Well said LW..:cool:

LoneRidgeRunner
05-09-2011, 10:35

Good and informative post John..and so true...

Pedaling Fool
05-09-2011, 10:51
I did not know my original post would create such a response! I did some research and found the original reference in David Brill's book "As Far as the Eye Can See". The guy in question in his book was "Ranger Mack" (not Ranger Rick as I had recalled). aka Mountain Man Mack. Yes, he had the same method of operation, but now i don't think it is the same guy. He, just not old enough to have been the guy from 30 years ago.

But----This guy in question now is every bit as weird. Glad I did not see 'the knife'. We tented away from the shelter. I am glad that I brought this guy up though. At least others are forewarned.
These type of threads always do. Everyone knows there are always a couple of nut-nuts:) on the trail every year, but for some reason you can't just simply inform people on here -- no problem with that, but it always turns into a freak show. W-T-F:confused:

LoneRidgeRunner
05-09-2011, 11:01
These type of threads always do. Everyone knows there are always a couple of nut-nuts:) on the trail every year, but for some reason you can't just simply inform people on here -- no problem with that, but it always turns into a freak show. W-T-F:confused:

Exactly John..next thing you know people on here will be saying this guy was raised by a Polar Bear and a Western Cougar, has claws like Edward Scissorhands, and fangs like a prehistoric Sabre Toothed Tiger and has eaten 162 old ladies on the AT in the last 2 days... not to mention what he has done with his knife..after all..this freak smoked the deadly "weed" so he must also be a deadly "reefer addict" from the early 50's... I also can't understand a combat veteran being scared of a guy with a knife enough to run off of the trail and wait for his gun... :confused::confused::confused:

tolkien
05-09-2011, 11:32
At least the weirdos have solidarity.

kanga
05-09-2011, 11:52
At least the weirdos have solidarity.
hahahahaha! good point.

Tuckahoe
05-09-2011, 12:44
WildTomato, please dont be "that guy." Its just not cool to go announcing to the world that your son's hiking buddy is armed. Just not cool.

That is not necessarily the case and this ATF link can clarify the issue -- http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html.

Only an licensed firearms dealer may ship a pistol through the US mail. private individuals may ship a pistol through a common or contract carrier; i.e., UPS or FedEx. Additionally a private individual may ship to themselves in care of another across state lines, or a private individual may ship to another private individual if they reside in the same state.

WildTomato
05-10-2011, 12:14
Do not worry Tuckahoe64, Warrior is a decorated veteran and knows what he is doing with the sidearm. I fail to see why announcing that they are safe now is not cool.

It was not cool when the crazy guy pulled out a 14 inch Bowie Combat knife and brandished it, yet you said nothing about how that was not cool from what I can read.

Again, I have no idea how the sidearm was sent, and frankly I do not care. The important thing is if they somehow see this guy again ( and they probably will not, seeing as the guy is just a hobo mooching off hikers at specific shelters ) they will have the ability to defend themselves if this guy goes nuts.

Fog Horn
05-10-2011, 14:39
LOL at decorated veteran being the qualifier of knowing what you're doing with a side arm. Well over half of our military force, I'd be willing to wager, has never even fired a side arm. They aren't the primary weapon for most of the force, rifles are. Very not cool for people to brandish knives though, I'd agree with that.

Good luck to them though, and if you get a chance, thank him for his service for me :)

bfayer
05-10-2011, 14:55
Do not worry Tuckahoe64, Warrior is a decorated veteran and knows what he is doing with the sidearm. I fail to see why announcing that they are safe now is not cool.

It was not cool when the crazy guy pulled out a 14 inch Bowie Combat knife and brandished it, yet you said nothing about how that was not cool from what I can read.

Again, I have no idea how the sidearm was sent, and frankly I do not care. The important thing is if they somehow see this guy again ( and they probably will not, seeing as the guy is just a hobo mooching off hikers at specific shelters ) they will have the ability to defend themselves if this guy goes nuts.

I think his point was people that CC a hand gun do not want the world to know. It makes them a target for theft, and takes away their tactical advantage. It also makes them a target for the anti gun folks who will take every opportunity to give them a hard time.

If you know someone is legally CCing a gun
It is best to keep it to yourself.

WingedMonkey
05-10-2011, 15:18
I think his point was people that CC a hand gun do not want the world to know. It makes them a target for theft, and takes away their tactical advantage. It also makes them a target for the anti gun folks who will take every opportunity to give them a hard time.

If you know someone is legally CCing a gun
It is best to keep it to yourself.

Tactical advantage? Like the hiker this year in Georgia, named herself Packing Heat? She dropped her firearm on the trail and another hiker found it and returned it to her. Of course everyone knew it was hers.
Now his trail name is Gunrunner.
:sun

MoodyBluer
05-10-2011, 15:38

You really can't win here...either err on the side of caution and be labeled a paranoid elitist or do nothing and possibly wind up with another Gary Hilton...

mweinstone
05-10-2011, 16:53
the reason you dont need a gun to hike the trail is:

because

followed by:

you dont

and finaly :

shut up is why

Cool AT Breeze
05-10-2011, 17:51
Come on Matty, you know you you enjoy popin caps behind the shelter in the evening when you're hiking.

mweinstone
05-10-2011, 18:18
i love carrying my pistol in the city. i sold them all for food long ago. its been about a year of unarmedness.my permits good for 5 years. so if i get work and save, i can walk into the store and walk out fully blammin.but i got other stuff to get first.to me, most of the joy in carrying is the constant reminder that your in a good country that allows it.

Skidsteer
05-10-2011, 19:09
...most of the joy in carrying is the constant reminder that your in a good country that allows it.

Best. Post. Ever.

JAK
05-10-2011, 19:15
Love the gun your with.

Tuckahoe
05-10-2011, 20:03

Man, you just dont get it do you? I am not worried about Warrior or whether he is a decorated veteran and knows how to handle a weapon. I am sure he does. And this isnt about some possibly disturbed man with a knife. The problem is that you have broadcast across the forum that the guy is now armed and as bfayer has so simply pointed out, you have opened him up to potential problems that he may not want to deal with. Your son should have shut up about it and you should have shut up about it. Concealed means concealed.

HikerMom58
05-10-2011, 20:59
Really? I'm really glad that all this is being talked about on here. I met a "crazy" person on the AT a couple of years ago. I wasn't thru hiking myself but was "slacking" 2 girls thru Central VA. I really don't appreciate people not trusting other people's gut feeling when they say they've met someone that is weird, scary, crazy ....whatever. I KNOW this man was mentally ill. Period. End of story.... Whether he would ever harm himself or someone else remains to be seen but PLEASE don't tell me I shouldn't tell/warn people about what I KNOW to be a reality on the trail. As far as protecting yourself on the trail from these type people, I say.. GO FOR IT!

Edvvard
05-11-2011, 12:08
Best. Post. Ever.

I entirely agree!:)

Yukon
05-11-2011, 12:36
Pulling out a 14" knife and talking crazy is by no means normal, guy needs to be dealt with...