PDA

View Full Version : New Boots

seahawk ponyfox
05-02-2011, 13:02
Hi, I recently got a new pair of Keen Targhee II Boots after wearing my last pair of boots out. I broke them in for about a week and then went hiking in them. Afterwards, I had some shin pain in both of my legs, probably shin splints. I did buy a half size bigger than I was planning on, after the salesperson at the store talked me into it. I could tell after a few miles they were too big, that my feet were moving around too much in my boots. I do have a history of shin splints, however have not had them in quite some time while hiking. I was wondering if this was because of the boots themselves or just maybe they were too big. Any opinions??

Texico
05-02-2011, 18:59
Keen shoes DO run about a 1/2 size short, but they also run about a full size wider than any other brands. If your foot is moving side to side too side too much Keen shoes just might not be for you. I know I can't wear them.

Texico
05-02-2011, 19:12
I guess I can't edit my post. I've only ever had shin splints from wearing flip flops while walking up hill for a long period of time. The only thing I can think of is that your feet and lower leg muscles are working to hard to stabilize yourself in shoes that are too loose or too flexible. Every person is different, though, so I'm just postulating about how I get shin splints.

Sunshine0202
05-02-2011, 21:19
I have also recently broken in a pair of Keen Targhees and also had shin splints for a week or so. I also bought mine a little big. I have wide feet though and they fit MUCH better than my Merrils. I have been hiking back and forth to work with a loaded pack (3mi. a day) for three weeks now and the shin splints have stopped. I thought it was because I started off too fast without stretching. So, I try to start off slowly to warm up. Maybe stretching would help.

seahawk ponyfox
05-02-2011, 23:23
Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it. I was originally going to get a half size bigger than I normally wear, and the sales person talked me into getting a full size bigger. Where my big toe joins with my foot, I guess it would be the base of the toe, hurt a lot and so I thought my feet were bending more than they should be. We did the section north of Mt. Rogers, so there wasn't a lot of uphill, but the uphill we did was more steep than gradual. My boyfriend swears by the vasque and tried hardcore to get me to buy those but they were heavier and I didn't know how they were as women's boots. I was wondering what other boots might be better than the keens as far as comfort and support.

redtail froglicker
05-03-2011, 10:58
Keens...? Cmon..really? Really? Cmon..cmon. I mean..Keens? Cmon.

seahawk ponyfox
05-03-2011, 11:29
um, mr. froglicker is it?? well they are comfy shoes, I stand behind my decision, but there may be something better for me. Let me guess.... you are a vasque supporter... is that an accurate statement?

B.B.
05-03-2011, 12:21
seahawk....my husband has a pair of keens and they hurt his foot in the same place ( at joint behind his big toe). He likes them for the roomy toe box (his foot is very wide) but I think the way they are shaped is not compatible with his foot (turns up too much). He has had them for over a year and has never been able to wear them more than just an hour or two before it starts hurting (and that is not even hiking...just casual wear). I have a pair and they are very comfortable for me. Think it is more a feature of his foot vs the shape of the shoe than a size issue...