PDA

View Full Version : Denatured Alcohol/Heet in the SNP?

msupple
05-02-2011, 14:11
My wife and I are planning a mid May hike from Rockfish Gap to Fro the park.nt Royal. We plan on really taking our time probably never hiking over ten miles per day. We may even take as long as two weeks to hike it. We'll be using alky stoves to cook our meals, avoiding waysides as much as possible.

My question is....how easy is it to find Denatured Alcohol or Heet at the resupply points. We've never been there before so I don't even know if they have gas stations in the park. I couldn't get a live person when I tried calling the park.

Appreciate any info.

msupple
05-02-2011, 14:14
That's supposed to read Rockfish Gap to Front Royal. ( i have a weird computer)

Grampie
05-02-2011, 14:37
If you are planning to buy alcohol fule in the SMNP I think you will be out of luck. I can't think of one place you could buy it. Most fule stations down south don't sell, Heat in the yellow bottle. It's made to dry up the water in your gas so it won't freeze. Down south they don't have that problem so many places don't stock it.

msupple
05-02-2011, 15:25
If you are planning to buy alcohol fule in the SMNP I think you will be out of luck. I can't think of one place you could buy it. Most fule stations down south don't sell, Heat in the yellow bottle. It's made to dry up the water in your gas so it won't freeze. Down south they don't have that problem so many places don't stock it.

I new I shouldn't have abbreviated. :) I'm talking about the Shenandoah National Park...not the Smokies. (SMNP) It snows in the SNP...so they may indeed carry Heet. Thanks for your input though.

10-K
05-02-2011, 15:37
In the park - no where.

Luray was an easy hitch and I'm sure you could pick up something there.

Or you could cache some at one of the many places where the AT crosses the Blue Ridge Parkway beforehand to pick up when you hiked through - just don't forget it!

jlb2012
05-02-2011, 16:00
i once got some gas line deicer at Big Meadows gas station - wasn't Heet but the contents were the same

88BlueGT
05-02-2011, 16:07
isopropeliene (sp?)

jlb2012
05-02-2011, 18:20
no - isopro is very sooty (a last resort type of fuel)

what you want is methyl alcohol aka methanol

also watch out for the type of container - if I recall correctly the bottle I got could not be resealed once opened - not a real problem since I had the old bottle but it did drip some before I realized *** was going on

gunner76
05-02-2011, 19:41
can always take some everclear

WingedMonkey
05-02-2011, 19:51
can always take some everclear
Can't even buy it in Florida. If I had some on the trail I'm sure not gonna burn it. After a few shots I won't mind eating uncooked food.
:p

msupple
05-02-2011, 20:20
Thanks for the info....I'll stash some extra fuel in my wife's pack. She'll never know.:D BTW...I did call one of the campgrounds and the lady said they may start carrying it since "backpackers always ask for it." Hope springs eternal.

Makes me re-think those wood burning stoves. Thanks again.

Front Royal Mike
05-02-2011, 20:32
I was in the wayside at Big Meadows yesterday,didn't see heet but wasn't looking.They do have isopropyl on a shelf directly behind the cash register with other basic toiletries.They may have other fuels as well ,I was rather surprised with the variety of things they had.including a good variety of Mountain House foods and lots of car camping supplies from Coughlins.Enjoy your hike .Most of the auto parts stores in Front royal have HEET

DripDry
05-02-2011, 20:51
Luray definately- you may also want to call Lewis Mountain Cabins- there is a campstore there and I swear that I saw it there last year- but my memory may be fading. I would think the campstore there and at Loft Mtn would be better choices than Big Meadows or Skyland.