PDA

View Full Version : How would you finish?

Different Socks
05-02-2011, 22:46
Let's say that you are completing the AT(hiking southbound) on a specific day. There is a shelter right at the end and one only 7+ miles away. Would you prefer to finish at the shelter closer to the end or further from the end?

I guess what i am asking is would you prefer to walk only a short distance the next day knowing the adventure would end with an hour or less, or would you rather be a bit further away for the last night so you can prolong the experience the next day?

4shot
05-02-2011, 22:59
unusual question. at the end, I always stopped around 5:30 PM or so, that would have decided your question for me (i.e which place would I be closer to at my preferred "end of shift" time). I liked hiking by my watch rather than by miles especially during the latter part.

Many Walks
05-02-2011, 23:15
I agree it depends on time of day. I'd stay with the established routine and enjoy the last night on the trail no matter where it is. After 5 months out a few miles more or less means nothing and you know you're at the end anyway. The real question is will you be in town for breakfast or lunch so you can fully develop your cravings.

erinjoy777
05-02-2011, 23:18
I think above all it would depend on if I had psyched myself up to finish THAT day. If so, I would finish, as I would have probably already spent my last sentimental night the night before. But who knows. Fun question!

map man
05-03-2011, 00:24
I would not spend my last night with only .2 miles left to go to complete my thru-hike! If I had been that close the day before I would have walked right on past the side trail to the Springer Mountain Shelter and summited. If it was late and I hadn't arranged for a ride, maybe I would spend that night at the shelter AFTER summiting.

Dogwood
05-03-2011, 02:04
Depends on what I've planned at the southern terminus, like having to travel by air, car, train, bus, boat, horse, etc or hitch immediately or if I've planned anything.

The last thing I want to do after a hike, especially a long one, is to forget to reflect on the hike, to not learn from the hike, to embrace a hurried impatient shallow life.

I guess I would use that last night further away and allow for some on trail reflection time to really/finally let soak in, lock in, and savor the blessings and challenges of being able to experience what I just did. Those last 7 miles would be bittersweet - a celebration of life, friends(both old and new), loved ones, learning, and growth but also of closure and physical separation, like when you leave a lover not knowing when you will return to her again or if you ever will. I would like the sense of completion and that reflection time on those last 7 miles.

No matter what shelter I stayed at, I would sense that new peace, clarity, contentment, patience, health, quietness, wisdom, connectedness, and appreciation, that comes after a hike. I would let these thoughts fill and embrace my soul on those last 7 miles.

Within a month I would be thinking about the next hike BUT NEVER FORGETTING the last one! Yeah, I'm a hiking addict!

mweinstone
05-03-2011, 08:26
ive had to quit several thruhike attempts. in 08, afer 1400 miles. in every case, i knew the next day was my last and that ruined all brain function so i bolted in the morning after hiking about 4 miles to the next road. its not the same as a finnish but i belive i would do the same. feel bad the day before and split early and haveing walked the shortest distance. when i finnish some day, a thruhike, i wanna walk out of the trail with no fanfare. i plan on walking up to the sign and turnning around within a minute or ten.

88BlueGT
05-03-2011, 08:44
I would start be up at 5 to watch the sunrise, make a nice big breakfast and get a long day in before summiting. Wouldn't want it to be over so fast