PDA

View Full Version : Yet another record attempt! Nature Boy

Pages : [1] 2

JEBjr
05-03-2011, 09:13
http://www.natureboyhiking.com/ Appears he left Springer around 4am.

Jeff
05-03-2011, 09:16
Nature Boy is a serious contender for the record. He has hiked the entire trail several times and actually trained for this endeavor.

fredmugs
05-03-2011, 09:58
He seems to be the least likely candidate I've seen so he'll probably do it.

10-K
05-03-2011, 10:52
Out of all the record attempts that have been floated here in the past several months this is the first one to begin that (IMO) has a chance of being realized.

Ms. Davis certainly, but she hasn't started yet has she?

Mizirlou
05-03-2011, 11:26
OK I give up; what’s that thing in his mouth?
http://twitter.com/#!/NatureBoyHiking (http://twitter.com/#%21/NatureBoyHiking)

on_the_GOEZ
05-03-2011, 11:37
OK I give up; what’s that thing in his mouth?
http://twitter.com/#!/NatureBoyHiking (http://twitter.com/#%21/NatureBoyHiking)

Looks like a toothbrush.

Hell be at Katadhin (assumingly) right around my start date! Go natureboy

Phreak
05-03-2011, 11:56
He seems to be the least likely candidate I've seen
How so? He's thru-hiked three times and is an endurance athlete. Seems like he's one of the most likely candidates to me.

jersey joe
05-03-2011, 12:03
Good Luck Nature Boy! I'll be watching your hike closely, rooting you on!!!

88BlueGT
05-03-2011, 12:17
5 Pepperoni pizzas is DEFINITELY more than 8,000 calories.... just saying. That would be equivalent to approx 133 calories a slice... hmmmm I think not. I ate a granola bar this morning that had more calories than that :D Maybe TWO pepperoni pizza's.

bigcranky
05-03-2011, 13:20
I love how his website provides his "time on the trail" in milliseconds.

fredmugs
05-03-2011, 19:16
How so? He's thru-hiked three times and is an endurance athlete. Seems like he's one of the most likely candidates to me.

I could say the same thing about Lone Wolf.

kayak karl
05-03-2011, 19:39
I could say the same thing about Lone Wolf.
your a white blaze nut-nut. basically an idiot. how does this compare to LW ????

royalusa
05-03-2011, 19:48
your a white blaze nut-nut. basically an idiot. how does this compare to LW ????

Surely Fredmugs must be playing the troll role today. We all know that LW likes to camp more than hike. Go check out the Daily Schedule thread where he talks about his schedule - "up around 7, start walkin' around 8. long lunch break around 11 then quit walkin' no later than 4. i like campin' more than walkin' but i can walk 3mph no problem"

fredmugs
05-03-2011, 19:50

How many times has LW thru hiked? At least 3. Right.

Has he run marathons? I think so. Doesn't that make him an endurance athlete? I think so.

Tell me one thing Nature Boy has done that LW hasn't exactly done or done something similar? And I've never met either one of them.

If you would like to put up some cash I'll take the over on 63 days. If not shut the hell up.

mweinstone
05-03-2011, 19:53
some of you dont need to hear this, but i need to tell it.
nature boy showed me how he craps and walks.
enough said.
i contain the knowlage.

kayak karl
05-03-2011, 19:58
how many times has lw thru hiked? At least 3. Right.

Has he run marathons? I think so. Doesn't that make him an endurance athlete? I think so.

Tell me one thing nature boy has done that lw hasn't exactly done or done something similar? And i've never met either one of them.

If you would like to put up some cash i'll take the over on 63 days. If not shut the hell up.
**** you!...

mweinstone
05-03-2011, 19:58
more on our boy:

he carrys a tv.
he walks backwards up hills on roads.
he eats iceing.

may i also remind you he is funny as crap?

Sun Blazed
05-03-2011, 20:04
Nature Boy's going to do it, regardless. I maybe partially bias because he's my friend but even if that wasn't the case. He's still gonna do it. GO NATURE BOY!

MkBibble
05-03-2011, 20:04
now, where did i put those boxing gloves. aha, here they are!

kayak karl
05-03-2011, 20:06
And I've never met either one of them.
so you shut the hell up! <Bleepity..bleepity and Bleepity . -Mags :) )

Mags
05-03-2011, 20:14
Fred and Karl, please take it to PM.

Thanks.

In the mean time, I dedicate this song to both of you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMzZ_KCp_E

:D

mweinstone
05-03-2011, 20:20
lw smells clean
stands alot
drinks coffie
has junk gypsy put up all around the living room walls
respects hikers
dosnt like folks walking on his front
has a big heart
dosnt let any man touch his bedroom
gets alot of love from his young hiker admirers while driving them to food lion
stands watch after hours at traildays in case help of a sober variaty is needed
wakes up early every day happy hes with gypsy
comes to the aid of odd old ladys
saves every penney he ever made to protect and be a blessing on those he loves
invites the only wanderer and all wanderers to coffie.
still has his dress blue pic.

i know this but cant say i know wolf. i want to. i belive i do. but i cant know. thats the nature of seperate lives. wolf shares with me. im glad. i call that knowing him.

10-K
05-03-2011, 21:58
Just got an update on FB... Nature Boy made it to Low Gap shelter on Day 1 - 41.5 miles.

Not bad!

mweinstone
05-03-2011, 22:02
he he he ! this is so cool!

Nearly Normal
05-03-2011, 22:23
lw smells clean
stands alot
drinks coffie
has junk gypsy put up all around the living room walls
respects hikers
dosnt like folks walking on his front
has a big heart
dosnt let any man touch his bedroom
gets alot of love from his young hiker admirers while driving them to food lion
stands watch after hours at traildays in case help of a sober variaty is needed
wakes up early every day happy hes with gypsy
comes to the aid of odd old ladys
saves every penney he ever made to protect and be a blessing on those he loves
invites the only wanderer and all wanderers to coffie.
still has his dress blue pic.

i know this but cant say i know wolf. i want to. i belive i do. but i cant know. thats the nature of seperate lives. wolf shares with me. im glad. i call that knowing him.

Wolf introduced me to a very fine flat picker once.

Lone Wolf
05-03-2011, 22:30

and Nearly Normal presented me with a very nice USMC knife around the same time

mweinstone
05-03-2011, 22:48
and then all three of us had a man hug...........ewww!

peasantgirl
05-03-2011, 23:25
I swore I would never use Twitter (ugh, just typing the name makes me cringe), but this is sucking me in!! Thanks a LOT, Nature Boy!!! :p

Red Hat
05-04-2011, 08:57
According to his facebook, looks like he maybe having digestion problems, uh oh. Hope it clears up soon!

88BlueGT
05-04-2011, 09:09
Hope he brought tums :rolleyes: Whats his name on FB & Twitter?

Phreak
05-04-2011, 09:35
Hope he brought tums :rolleyes: Whats his name on FB & Twitter?
FB = Nature-Boy Hiking

Jeremiah Greenjeans
05-04-2011, 09:43
I feel like there can be money made in this...

Team Nature Boy & Team Davis t-shirts? hats? coffee mugs?

What's the spread on this sort of thing?

mweinstone
05-04-2011, 09:58
even though he knows how to do what he does so so so well, i worry he may be creating too much stress mentaly causeing stomach acids that are giving him trouble? its stressfull to work out as he does. its near the limits of what we can do without harm. i suggest calm thaughts, diluted lemon water and more oats.but i have no idea of the trouble and hope to god its not that all the doorknobs and spiggotts on our trail aint covered in carelessness. washing hands is life and death, not good hygene. everyone think calm stomach thaughts.

tdoczi
05-04-2011, 10:10
Just got an update on FB... Nature Boy made it to Low Gap shelter on Day 1 - 41.5 miles.

Not bad!

wouldnt it be awesome to be there when he passes navy seal guy in... what, like a day or two?

Buffalo Skipper
05-04-2011, 10:12
wouldnt it be awesome to be there when he passes navy seal guy in... what, like a day or two?

Now that's funny :D
I don't care who you are.

lutefisk
05-04-2011, 10:28
According to his facebook, looks like he maybe having digestion problems, uh oh. Hope it clears up soon!
It's the 5 pepperoni pizzas

Phreak
05-04-2011, 10:41
I figured out that if Nature Boy maintains 40 MPD, he would pass the Navy Seal towards the end of day 9.

Colter
05-04-2011, 10:43
Nature Boy is a serious contender for the record. He has hiked the entire trail several times and actually trained for this endeavor.

You need experience, good genes, excellent training, and a dream to set a record like this. Too many people try to set a record relying on the latter.

This guy has a real shot and I wish him luck.

88BlueGT
05-04-2011, 11:10
Whos the Navy Seal guy? Is he someone else attempting to set a record or something?

on_the_GOEZ
05-04-2011, 11:17
Whos the Navy Seal guy? Is he someone else attempting to set a record or something?

You obviously dont spend enough time on WB! :p You been outdoors or something...?

mweinstone
05-04-2011, 11:18

Mitchell Tennison
I am a former Navy SEAL of ten years and have yearned to hike the Appalachian Trail since I discovered long distance hiking years ago. I will be setting the record for an UNASSISTED trek of the 2,175 miles that the trail covers from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Katahdin in Maine.

Old Hiker
05-04-2011, 11:25

I can't believe I'm doing this: what's a "flat picker"?

Or this: and how can you tell the "very fine" from just "fine", "OK", or just plain "mediocre" flat pickers?

Or even: are these USDA standards???

Phreak
05-04-2011, 11:30
Mitchell Tennison
I am a former Navy SEAL of ten years and have yearned to hike the Appalachian Trail since I discovered long distance hiking years ago. I will be setting the record for an UNASSISTED trek of the 2,175 miles that the trail covers from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Katahdin in Maine.
He's averaging 14.1 miles so far. The record is out of the question but hopefully he's enjoying his hike.

tdoczi
05-04-2011, 13:25

Or this: and how can you tell the "very fine" from just "fine", "OK", or just plain "mediocre" flat pickers?

could be wrong, but my guess is its a guitar player. as opposed to a finger picker. thats what i think of when i hear it. of course most people probably dont ever think of playing a guitar any other than with a pick.

Mizirlou
05-04-2011, 13:59
According to his facebook, looks like he maybe having digestion problems

Maybe it’s the toothpaste
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1321888449/PCT_june_2008_93_reasonably_small.jpg
(http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1321888449/PCT_june_2008_93_reasonably_small.jpg)
He gets a pizza on me when he hits Hot Springs. May two.
http://www.natureboyhiking.com/Nature_Boy_s_hungry.php

jersey joe
05-04-2011, 15:35
41.5 on day 1. That is fantastic. This seems like a serious contender folks. I hope his digetion problems go away though. Looking forward to seeing his progress over the next week, see if he can keep up this pace. A 40+ mile day is one thing, stringing a bunch of them together is a whole other thing entirely.

Bear Bag 2000
05-04-2011, 16:01
I thought the LW comparison was a good one as to attributes of a record breaking fast hiker. But in 2000 LW and Gypsy were at the Carabasett River Crossing for about a week! I was the crew for the first four days (to Fontana!) of David Horton the Runner's record when he did the AT in 56 days. He was only on the trail about 8 hours a day running about 39 miles. That same year Scott Grierson ( Mainiac) walked 16 hour days (with LW as crew all the way). Horton started about a day behind Mainiac. As a supporter of Horton I predicted we would pass Mainiac at Neel Gap, GA. Well, Horton passed him in Vermont! Once a certain level of athleticism is reached, the whole success has to do with: focus, dedication, desire, logistics, hours on trail, and perseverance.
Bear Bag GA>ME 2000
39 Marathons and 115 50-milers, and still slow

Bear Bag 2000
05-04-2011, 16:05
Now if you really want to follow an athlete in search of a record on the AT, follow Cimarron the 88 year old hiker who just passed Hot Springs, NC, averaging about 8 mpd but picking it up. He is on Trail Journals. He can give most of hikers an Ass-kicking.
Bear Bag GA>ME 2000

the goat
05-04-2011, 16:35

i think nature boy passed him already.

Phreak
05-04-2011, 21:24
Nature Boy was sick last night and couldn't keep anything down after midnight. He hiked 31.5 miles today and is camped near Blue Ridge Gap. Impressive mileage for a jacked up stomach.

jersey joe
05-04-2011, 21:35
Nature Boy was sick last night and couldn't keep anything down after midnight. He hiked 31.5 miles today and is camped near Blue Ridge Gap. Impressive mileage for a jacked up stomach.
31.5 isn't bad. I was afraid he might really be limited because of the stomach issues. Happy to see he is hiking through the ails. Still on pace...

stranger
05-04-2011, 22:42
I agree Nature Boy's mileage is impressive considering the stomach thing, although it's early days, shin splints, tendonitis and stress fractures are all repetition injuries...making miles is one thing, doing it for 59 days straight is another story, damn...doing it for 2 weeks is another story.

He can clearly do the miles, but that's only part of it, holding together physically is another matter. Great to see him going so strongly!

slow
05-04-2011, 22:50
Ward has no thru rec due to he was on drugs.Like in any sport ...it dont count bottom line.

weary
05-04-2011, 23:00
Ward has no thru rec due to he was on drugs.Like in any sport ...it dont count bottom line.
Who says so?

jersey joe
05-05-2011, 01:48
Oh please, the majority of the hiking community recognize Ward as the unsupported record holder. That's good enough for me.

CrumbSnatcher
05-05-2011, 08:15
Ward has no thru rec due to he was on drugs.Like in any sport ...it dont count bottom line.drugs or meds?
big difference! im a big ward fan and i consider him to be the unsupported record holder, im not sure who the supported record holder is and don't really follow the supported record attempts, IMO its not nearly as exciting as the unsupported attempts

Buffalo Skipper
05-05-2011, 08:57
I don't know about Ward, but I am curious as to what is the unsupported record, and the supported record, for that matter.

CrumbSnatcher
05-05-2011, 09:01
60 or 60.5 days for the unsupported record(depends who you ask)
the supported record is something like 47 days

jersey joe
05-05-2011, 09:03
This is what I have for supported AT thru-hikes...
1. Andrew Thompson: 47 days 13 hours 31 minutes (2005)
2. Pete Palmer: 48 days 20 hours 11 minutes (1999)
3. David Horton: 52 days 9 hours (1991)
4. Karl Meltzer: 54 days 21 hours 12 minutes (2008)
5. Scott Grierson: 55 days 20 hours 34 minutes (1991)
6. Jennifer Pharr Davis: 57 days 8 hours 35 minutes (2008) [women's record]

stranger
05-05-2011, 09:07
Ward Leonard is the recognized unsupported record holder, in 1990 he hiked the AT in 60-60.5 days depending on who you talk to.

He also has thru-hiked the AT 10 times and is the only person (or atleast the first person) to complete a double yo-yo (3 thru-hikes) in a calendar year.

He is also mentally ill and a very unique individual who I feel privileged to have met in 1993.

10-K
05-05-2011, 09:07
Who sets the rules for these things?

stranger
05-05-2011, 09:08
60 or 60.5 days for the unsupported record(depends who you ask)
the supported record is something like 47 days

Sorry to double up, didn't see this post originally.

Buffalo Skipper
05-05-2011, 09:26
Thanks for the info. I am particularly empathetic to the comment you made about Ward Leonard's mental health.

My youngest older brother thru hiked the trail in 1976 (no record). That was the first year that more than 100 hikers are listed as completing a thru. His mental health has detioriated since a few years after completing his thru, and every year we loose a little more of him. He still considers the AT his greatest accomplishment and would like to hike the CDT, but he no longer has a real understanding of that would entail.

Interestingly, he made his own tent for his thru. It was comperable to modern bivvy type tents, maybe slightly bigger. It held him and his 70 lb Kelty external frame pack. It weighed right at 3 lbs--not bad for 35 years ago! Yet he left town carrying 70+ lbs every week. I was privilaged enough to day hike serveral sections throught SNP with him. I was 10.5 years old, and that was my first exposure to the AT. I have wanted to do a thru ever since.

weary
05-05-2011, 10:07
Ward Leonard is the recognized unsupported record holder, in 1990 he hiked the AT in 60-60.5 days depending on who you talk to.

He also has thru-hiked the AT 10 times and is the only person (or atleast the first person) to complete a double yo-yo (3 thru-hikes) in a calendar year.

He is also mentally ill and a very unique individual who I feel privileged to have met in 1993.
I met Ward twice in August of 1991; as he approached Katahdin and after he left Katahdin. I was hiking Maine with a 9-year-old grandson, who had reading and writing problems, so communicated with the world by talking. No one escaped, not even Ward, who wasn't known for his communication skills.

But when I met him the second time and asked if he expected to make it south for the fourth time that year, before answering he demanded, "Is that your grandson?"

I told him yes.

"Good," Ward declared. "He's the first person I've met on this trail who is bright enough for me to talk too."

JAK
05-05-2011, 10:44

Who's picking banjo here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlqQ1_vZVE&NR=1

JEBjr
05-05-2011, 11:47
Nature Boy updated an hour ago on facebook:

Home sweet home - The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and I have my 20miles in . North of Carter Gap Shelters.

Buffalo Skipper
05-05-2011, 12:07
I cannot access Facebook at work. Can someone sum up? Trailjournals still only shows his first day....

JEBjr
05-05-2011, 12:16
His last facebook update was about an hour ago. He's camping north of Carter Gap Shelter. That would put him past the 90 mile mark. Not sure how his 6 hour block system works but I guess he will nap and then hit the trail again this afternoon.

Buffalo Skipper
05-05-2011, 12:25
Thanks. I was reading about those 6 hour blocks he was doing in training. Sounded grueling :eek: ...sent shivers down my spine just thinking about it!

Yea, he really looks prepared, well trained and in excellent shape. I really hope he makes it!

MkBibble
05-05-2011, 15:32
sounds like trouble! just posted on twitter:

@NatureBoyHiking (http://twitter.com/#!/NatureBoyHiking) Nature-Boy Hiking OK, very funny, but where are my shoes....??!!

Buffalo Skipper
05-05-2011, 16:14
OK, I can't access twitter while at work either.

A little help please? :o

MkBibble
05-05-2011, 16:18
Not much on twitter: This is all that's been posted since he started:

The unexpected joys of the trail...started a clensing last night around 12. Haven't been able to keep anything down since. :-( 4 May (http://twitter.com/#!/NatureBoyHiking/status/65740329848016896)

Day one is in the books..Springer to Low Gap shelter 41.5 miles 3 May (http://twitter.com/#!/NatureBoyHiking/status/65582098634899456)

And so it begins.....leaving Springer Mountain and heading north.... 4am 3 May (http://twitter.com/#!/NatureBoyHiking/status/65323251202658305)

Phreak
05-05-2011, 17:17
sounds like trouble! just posted on twitter:

@NatureBoyHiking (http://twitter.com/#!/NatureBoyHiking) Nature-Boy Hiking OK, very funny, but where are my shoes....??!!

He found his shoes 1/4 mile from his campsite. Not sure how that could have happened but at least he's on the move again. Just climbed over Albert Mountain.

Mags
05-05-2011, 20:41
Who sets the rules for these things?

http://www.pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi

:)

Being serious, I don't think anyone sets the rules per se. It is more by mutual agreement and usually set on a trail by trail basis.

See this website for more info:
http://home.comcast.net/~pbakwin/FKT.html (http://home.comcast.net/%7Epbakwin/FKT.html)

I'd argue for some trails, it is hard to really have any kind of agreed upon FKT (many Western trails come to mind), but that's another ball of wax. :)

CrumbSnatcher
05-05-2011, 21:07
He found his shoes 1/4 mile from his campsite. Not sure how that could have happened but at least he's on the move again. Just climbed over Albert Mountain.
he found his shoes a 1/4 mile south or north of his campsite?
so either his shoes couldn't keep up with him or they couldn't stop as fast as he did:D good luck natureboy

Malto
05-05-2011, 21:28
he found his shoes a 1/4 mile south or north of his campsite?
so either his shoes couldn't keep up with him or they couldn't stop as fast as he did:D good luck natureboy

Or his shoes could do a few more miles today.

I met Natureboy on my AT trail runs. I have been doing some crazy training for 18 months for a relatively fast PCT hike and his training makes me look like a couch potato. It is very motivating to meet someone who is willing to go all out toward accomplishing an objective. Certainly a contrast with a couple of recent record attempts.

He certainly has prepared, he just needs to keep injuries at bay. Good luck Natureboy and keep track of your shoes or learn to run barefoot!

Malto

Sun Blazed
05-05-2011, 23:55
He's made it a little further today, he is at the 113.6 mile marker. He is staying the night at Wayah gap. He's making pretty good progress.

stranger
05-06-2011, 06:14
He's made it a little further today, he is at the 113.6 mile marker. He is staying the night at Wayah gap. He's making pretty good progress.

37.7 miles per day for 3 days...pretty damn good. I think the next week is going to determine everything, if he reaches Damascus on pace with no injuries I like his chances.

mweinstone
05-06-2011, 06:37
pouring coffie on crotch to offset pain of watching others hike.

mweinstone
05-06-2011, 07:01
pouring coffie on crotch to offset pain of watching others hike.

JAK
05-06-2011, 07:05
Two cups eh. That is serious.
I'm bummed also.

mweinstone
05-06-2011, 07:06
took 2 cups for the pain to work. okay. im better now. just need 10k to change his profile pic to not reflect such blinding beams of happyness so directly into my eyes. yo 10k.
tone it down. how bout a little sympathy for city loosers not hiking ever again it seams?
put up a pic of like,...a blistered foot or ,...you hiking in the rain unhappily. k? thanks.
sheesh. first friday, no tape, hikers enjoying miss janet and her town without me. not a good start.
coffie. hotter.

JAK
05-06-2011, 08:21
You should try wool pants. Once you hit the crotch with the second cup, and it does take a second cup, they retain the scalding hot temperatures extremely well.

Buffalo Skipper
05-06-2011, 09:12
37.7 miles per day for 3 days...pretty damn good. I think the next week is going to determine everything, if he reaches Damascus on pace with no injuries I like his chances.

So are you saying that in another week he will be in Damascus at this pace?!?!?! :-?

That's just mind boggling. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Buffalo Skipper
05-06-2011, 09:15
OK, I looked it up and did the math. At this pace, it will take him 9 more days to reach Damascus VA. That is an incredible speed. Of course this doesn't take into account any resupply time in towns.

Go for it Nature Boy! :banana

Jaybird
05-06-2011, 09:18
http://www.natureboyhiking.com/ Appears he left Springer around 4am.

"Hiking is an outdoor activity which consists of walking in natural environments, often in mountainous areas on hiking trails."

seems like he is trail RUNNING....NOT hiking the trail!...
just sayin'!

i WILL be hiking (section-hiking) DWG...NoBo to Kent,CT
May 28-June 12...
this year w/ "Piece O' Work"
maybe we'll encounter a few of U WhiteBlazers out there!:D

WingedMonkey
05-06-2011, 12:55
Looks like this is the Trail Running and Speed Hiking forum.
Oh wait a minute...it is.

max patch
05-06-2011, 13:04
just sayin'!

He's carrying all his stuff on his unsupported hike so it doesn't matter if he walking, running, or anything in between.

Phreak
05-06-2011, 14:15
He's carrying all his stuff on his unsupported hike so it doesn't matter if he walking, running, or anything in between.
Exactly. He's averaging about 3.3 mph, so I'd wager he's hiking and not running.

Mags
05-06-2011, 14:22
"

just sayin'!

The line between slow running and fast hiking is a blurry one.

I suspect he is just hiking at 3+ MPH pace and doing it all day.

Besides, as has been pointed out, this is the trail running/speed hiking forum. :D

Phreak
05-06-2011, 19:01
NB is camped at Cody Gap - 41 miles today.

JEBjr
05-06-2011, 19:02
Nature Boy's last update on Facebook:

Long hot day
Laying in my tent feasting on ramen dry noodles. Fix'n to workover some honey stingers & some pudding too !!! Cody Gap 41 miles

Sun Blazed
05-06-2011, 23:18
He told me before he left that his plan is to walk the uphills, and run the downhills/flats. He has 15 mail drops for resupply and if he has to he'll go into town. He plans on making it to Damascus for Trail Days.

mweinstone
05-07-2011, 01:01
blather i tells ya ! fun! member it? hes haveing fun, yes? or is he birthing miles? or doing ramman iv's? no! hes funning! have fun will travel? sokay. im better now. its just you nerds got weird for a minute. you know i love you my nerds. and i need you. its just that fun comes first. gabbish?

hes tossed .0003 ounces of toenail clippings so far.............
omfg! he just ate vasalene! so mfing cool...........
this dueds so down. hes down. omg,.....god of hike.

the propper response from cool hikers while watching this coolass hike is:

"god i suck"

slow
05-07-2011, 01:42
blather i tells ya ! fun! member it? hes haveing fun, yes? or is he birthing miles? or doing ramman iv's? no! hes funning! have fun will travel? sokay. im better now. its just you nerds got weird for a minute. you know i love you my nerds. and i need you. its just that fun comes first. gabbish?

"god i suck"

Can you please stop the dumb rant on this topic,and 99.9 of others on this board please.:sun

Sun Blazed
05-07-2011, 01:53

"god i suck"

Is it okay if we never understand the crap that you're trying to say? Because I don't, and I don't think a lot of other people do either.

slow
05-07-2011, 04:09
Is it okay if we never understand the crap that you're trying to say? Because I don't, and I don't think a lot of other people do either.

When members have to go from post after post of non hiking ....it get REAL OLD.

JEBjr
05-07-2011, 09:51
From Facebook:

Nature Boy entered the Smoky's at 7am.

If my math is right, that is around mile 163.

Cool AT Breeze
05-07-2011, 10:02
When members have to go from post after post of non hiking ....it get REAL OLD.
That's why there is an ignore button, use it. Matty rocks.

mweinstone
05-07-2011, 10:24
we have a button to do our ignoring? wow. i need time to digest this new information.
what other kinds of buttons do we have?

mweinstone
05-07-2011, 10:27
if the entire world tryed to keep up with nature boy, after about a week he would be alone again. jen farr would be the last to keep up.
my jelosy grows mold becomeing toxic. must rob thruhiker of his or her hike.........

Red Hat
05-07-2011, 10:32
I can't wait to say hi to Natureboy as he hits Damascus for his 6 hr rest stop. Can't even imagine doing anything close to this. I thought he was crazy last year when he did it in less than 4 months. Of course, he did come back to GA when he hit the Smokeys and the snow was too deep.

Oh, and I love Matty too. but I admit that I sometimes just skim his posts...lol

bobqzzi
05-07-2011, 12:14

I felt this way when I first joined and was very annoyed with him. Then a more experienced member pointed out that Matthewski was worth the effort to read. He was quite right.

As for not understanding what he says: Shakespeare is hard to understand as well, but rewarding to those who put the effort in.

Blissful
05-07-2011, 16:34
Looks like the year of the AT races with Jenn Pharr doing it too.

Mags
05-07-2011, 21:27
As for not understanding what he says: Shakespeare is hard to understand as well, but rewarding to those who put the effort in.

Mattski is the Big Lebowski of WB.

He abides.

Rocket Jones
05-08-2011, 09:16
Mattski is the Big Lebowski of WB.

He abides.

He really ties the forum together.

mweinstone
05-08-2011, 09:25
no what concorosity is? its when i concurr with absolutly no spelling skills.
know what spelling the same word differently every time exspecting the same result is?
me being absolutly me every time.
know what stuff is? soup. most things are comprised of mainly soup. tru.

mweinstone
05-08-2011, 09:33
serious people worry me. but not too seriously. remember, ones future salty doglyness depends on ones granular salt intake.

sheepdog
05-08-2011, 09:39
you need a job

JEBjr
05-08-2011, 09:50
Nature Boy's last Facebook update:

In for the night
8pm, and I'm calling it at Double Springs Shelter. 3 miles from Clingmans, but it will be waiting for me in the morning... :-) 40 miles today

mweinstone
05-08-2011, 10:10
reading that sends shivers down any hikers spine who hasnt suffered spineloss.imagine how unbelivably strong he is.how tired? how good the hard dirty shelter floor or ground feels after such work.

god, i lay my jelosy for this hikers hike at your sons feet i alone cannot bear.

10-K
05-08-2011, 22:03
Latest update:

Looks like I blew my 6 hour blocks, I got tired of the shelters in the Smokey's so I hiked all night. Spent the afternoon at Standing Bear. 85 miles...Hot Springs tomorrow :-)

jersey joe
05-08-2011, 22:11
85 miles...outstanding!
This guy may challenge the supported record!

CdnHiker
05-09-2011, 06:09
Met Nature Boy last night at Standing Bear...even after 86 miles, he was still cheerful and answered everyone's six zillion questions! What a guy - I truly hope he makes it..he deserves to.

mweinstone
05-09-2011, 06:49
to understand the nature of ward nature
one nust concider the dance of the bannana leader
returning at even so snack may pass
even his gas
and on the morrow a poop flys
still he is above
even afore the mouse wakes
toilet paper
he leaves perfect cakes

Malto
05-09-2011, 07:32
This may not good news. Sleep will be needed to maintain this pace. When Bink and Krudmeister set the PCT record they were remarkably consistant in the daily mileage especially at the beginning. Hope he extends a couple of his 6 hr rest breaks to catch up on some sleep. Keep it going Natureboy.

mweinstone
05-09-2011, 07:45
This may not good news. Sleep will be needed to maintain this pace. When Bink and Krudmeister set the PCT record they were remarkably consistant in the daily mileage especially at the beginning. Hope he extends a couple of his 6 hr rest breaks to catch up on some sleep. Keep it going Natureboy.

i hope/belive the opposite. maby the limits of our abilitys are unlimited and maby nature is supercharging him to a whole other level never known since primitve peoples led different lives. maby he has become the gazell and the lepord and the paragrine now. let him go. hes johnathan liveingston segull and don juan and don gennaro all in one now. he may need less and less rest and require more and more exurtion. like a pole shift has hapened in his person and he is opposite us now.
so cool to watch this years whole class it aint no joke. no joke at all. please kiss miss janet for me natty.

Red Hat
05-09-2011, 18:39
According to Facebook, he was in Hot springs loading up on food at the Smokey Mtn Diner at 4:30 EST

Nean
05-09-2011, 21:41

Was that the PCT record or "ESSENTIALLY the same ROUTE" record which wasn't disclosed and declared "top secret"???:-?:confused::eek:

JEBjr
05-09-2011, 22:51
His last Facebook update about 2 hours ago:

Felt like I was in a time warp, no cell service!! Spending night on Rich Mountain. Week #1 complete 280.1 miles hiked.

Phreak
05-10-2011, 15:46
Latest update:
WOW...was this mornings block trying!! Legs started hurting around 10 last night, and wouldn't stop..very little sleep. Slept poorly again today :-(

Buffalo Skipper
05-10-2011, 15:49
Thanks for the update. :)
Trailjournals is still not updated since Saturday. Where is he now?

Red Hat
05-10-2011, 18:14
He was at 280 last night, so with his block this morning, he should be about mile 300 and headilng for 320 by the end of the day.

peasantgirl
05-11-2011, 01:17
Going on last night’s position of Rich mountain and 280 miles, leaving about 185 miles to Damascus, is it reasonable to hope he will be there in time for Trail Days? 40 mpd would put him about 25 miles short by Saturday night.

One the one hand, it would be cool if he was there, but OTOH, he might get mobbed when he arrives. He’s a mini-celebrity. Wouldn’t blame him if he snuck through in the middle of the night. :o

Del Q
05-11-2011, 04:54
I would slide in and out quickly, after a few pizzas (eat and carry to eat) and beers!!

Resupply............gone

Disguise if necessary, maybe go as the Lone Ranger or something simple, bandanna over lower 1/2 of his face

10-K
05-11-2011, 07:13
So I wonder if he's setting little mini-records as he goes...

Fastest to NC/GA border, fastest to GSMNP, fastest to Hot Springs, etc.

Red Hat
05-11-2011, 10:29
he's in Erwin and headed north to traildays. I think he plans to make the hiker parade and slip back out of town.

jersey joe
05-11-2011, 11:59
So I wonder if he's setting little mini-records as he goes...

Fastest to NC/GA border, fastest to GSMNP, fastest to Hot Springs, etc.
Good question...There are journals out there about supported records, but I can't find any details about unsupported records.

Malto
05-11-2011, 13:05
Seriously doubt that he set the GA section is a record. He averaged less than 40/day in GA and that's a short enough section (75 miles) that there is sure to have been trail runners that have done it in a day. He finished in just over two days. He may have broken some small record on the 80+ mile day but it would be an arbitrary record at best. Isn't he closing in on Crazyhair pretty soon?

Nean
05-11-2011, 15:20
what if he takes every short cut possible, but follows "essentially the same route" as the AT. What if he declares the "route" he took "top secret":-?

Still a record??:)

10-K
05-11-2011, 15:21
what if he takes every short cut possible, but follows "essentially the same route" as the AT. What if he declares the "route" he took "top secret":-?

Yes, but he'd have an asterisk by his name. :)

Nean
05-11-2011, 15:24
Yes, but he'd have an asterisk by his name. :)

What would the * note?:)

Buffalo Skipper
05-12-2011, 09:57
What's the latest on Nature Boy? I assume he got out of Erwin OK. How far has he gotten?

Phreak
05-12-2011, 10:07
What's the latest on Nature Boy? I assume he got out of Erwin OK. How far has he gotten?
No new updates on his FB page as of 10:08 EST.

Doc Mike
05-12-2011, 11:12
Hey phreak didn't know you could predict the future you posted at 10:07!!

just messing around
thanks for the updates for those of us who refuse to do face book.

Phreak
05-12-2011, 12:00
Hey phreak didn't know you could predict the future you posted at 10:07!!

just messing around
thanks for the updates for those of us who refuse to do face book.
LOL!

Latest update from approximately 11:00AM...
In my tent feasting on Spam and pudding, waiting on the sun to show up and dry my socks!!! ¡ mile 382.8 a few miles south of 19E

Phreak
05-12-2011, 12:03
He's averaging 41.03 miles per day through 9.33 days.

max patch
05-12-2011, 12:15

I know you are trying to say "something" but I don't know what. Care to clarify?

Wolf - 23000
05-12-2011, 12:35
Seriously doubt that he set the GA section is a record. He averaged less than 40/day in GA and that's a short enough section (75 miles) that there is sure to have been trail runners that have done it in a day. He finished in just over two days. He may have broken some small record on the 80+ mile day but it would be an arbitrary record at best. Isn't he closing in on Crazyhair pretty soon?

I for one have done the GA section in 2 days - no record attempt. I heard of someone doing the GA section in 1 day. I'm not sure if they were supported or not.

Wolf

JAK
05-12-2011, 12:37
At any given moment, that time on trail counter is only accurate to +- 587 milliseconds.

Just sayin.

Phreak
05-12-2011, 12:40
I hiked the GA section unsupported in 22 hr 10 min. SpeedGoat did it supported in under 1 day but I haven't heard what his exact time was.

Nean
05-12-2011, 13:42
I know you are trying to say "something" but I don't know what. Care to clarify?

Really not trying to speak in code here- just wondering if there is a code for setting a speed record?:confused:

The Pct record was mentioned. I've known Bink for a long time- hiked hundreds of miles with him- finished my second TC with him- heck, he even used my trail name for a few years. To say he is not a purist is an understatement. He says as much in a Youtube interview I watched when they were in Aqua Dulce saying "they were following essentially the same route as David Horton." DH did the trail- not a route.;) When my friend Lint asked Krudmeister just what was their "route" and where/how did they resupply he was told it was "top secret.":(

I'm of the mindset that if you want to claim a speed record you should stick to the trail and your efforts should be transparent.:-?
If this isn't the case and all that really matters is how fast you get from one terminus to the other- I'd like to know how others feel.... is it still a record?:confused:

Is it acceptable for NB to start blue blazing and trading trail miles for road miles? I've done pure hikes and hikes w/ alternative routes thrown in = if only to see something new and consider it a thru. But a record attempt for speed should be pure IMHO. Maybe I'm dead wrong- care to change my mind?:)

max patch
05-12-2011, 13:54
But a record attempt for speed should be pure IMHO. Maybe I'm dead wrong- care to change my mind?:)

I agree 100% - a speed hike has to be totally by the white blazes. Any deviation voids the attempt.

And thanks for clarifying.

Squeaky 2
05-12-2011, 16:08
good on this guy! i hope he raises the bar and goes for the out right record. if he can sustain this pace in the begining, which is the hardest part, he should avg. 50+ towards the end when he will be in peak endurance!

go nature boy!!!!!

Scooby99
05-12-2011, 19:51
Just curious, the trail gets longer each year, so how are the records or record attempts equal or compared when the trail gets longer each year? They have added at least 1/2 mile just on Bear Mtn this year. How is it reconciled who is the fastest if NB is hiking 5-10 miles further than earlier hikers, especially if he ends up being really close to the previous record?

Malto
05-12-2011, 20:17
I hiked the GA section unsupported in 22 hr 10 min. SpeedGoat did it supported in under 1 day but I haven't heard what his exact time was.

Phreak,
It's funny that you were actually who I was thinking of when referring to trail runners.

As far as the PCT record goes, it's a record in my book until someone provides evidence to the contrary. When the JMT record was set there was a chorus of skeptics that came forward. I hope Natureboy is taking time stamp, witness testified pictures of every white blaze from Georgia to Maine because I'm fully expecting the skeptics to come out of the woodwork if and when he sets the AT record.

In other news..... Vs other previous record attempts or records, how is Natureboy doing at this point?

Phreak
05-12-2011, 20:29
Phreak,
It's funny that you were actually who I was thinking of when referring to trail runners.

As far as the PCT record goes, it's a record in my book until someone provides evidence to the contrary. When the JMT record was set there was a chorus of skeptics that came forward. I hope Natureboy is taking time stamp, witness testified pictures of every white blaze from Georgia to Maine because I'm fully expecting the skeptics to come out of the woodwork if and when he sets the AT record.

In other news..... Vs other previous record attempts or records, how is Natureboy doing at this point?
Hey GG-man!
I'm planning to run the GA section this summer for training for my hikes in the Sierras this August.

Unsupported record is 60.5 days and Nature Boy is currently on pace for 53.1 days.

Pedaling Fool
05-12-2011, 20:35
Just curious, the trail gets longer each year, so how are the records or record attempts equal or compared when the trail gets longer each year? They have added at least 1/2 mile just on Bear Mtn this year. How is it reconciled who is the fastest if NB is hiking 5-10 miles further than earlier hikers, especially if he ends up being really close to the previous record?
It's not a well regulated event, kind of just an unofficial thing. But I'm not really part of that community, so I'm sure others can elaborate. However, if you do the math it's not that much of a difference, example:

Say the trail is 2,160 miles long and one does it in 50 days that would be an average of 43.2 miles per day.

Now say the trail is 2,180 miles long and one does it in 50 days that would be an average of 43.6 miles per day.

I'm not going to check my math...I hope it's correct or else I'd be :o:o:o

Hikerhead
05-12-2011, 21:30

I'd like to see you go for SNP record, I think you could do it.

jersey joe
05-12-2011, 22:03
good on this guy! i hope he raises the bar and goes for the out right record. if he can sustain this pace in the begining, which is the hardest part, he should avg. 50+ towards the end when he will be in peak endurance!

go nature boy!!!!!
That would be super impressive, if he could take the supported record...unsupported. Unify the belts so to speak.

hikinfool36
05-12-2011, 22:29
The only question I have is why. From time to time I have put down a lot of miles in a day, but I have never liked it. Not that I couldn't physically handle it. I just feel that I didn't experience the spirit of that part of the trial because I was concentrating on the miles.

CrumbSnatcher
05-12-2011, 22:32
Just curious, the trail gets longer each year, so how are the records or record attempts equal or compared when the trail gets longer each year? They have added at least 1/2 mile just on Bear Mtn this year. How is it reconciled who is the fastest if NB is hiking 5-10 miles further than earlier hikers, especially if he ends up being really close to the previous record?more switchbacks too,makes things a little easier

Nean
05-12-2011, 23:30

Well even if it is a few miles longer its a lot easier. ;)
As long as you stay on the trail you can say you did the trail record. :-?

weary
05-12-2011, 23:32
Trail records aren't recorded anywhere that is remotely official. They are basically in the minds of the claimed champions, and on sites like White Blaze and in publications like the Companion.

No one is checking. No one is keeping anything remotely "official." The record is whatever we as trail enthusiasts believe it too be. I beleive Ward Leonard's record because I've met and chatted with him on the trail and have come to respect him.

Nean
05-12-2011, 23:42
Phreak,

As far as the PCT record goes, it's a record in my book until someone provides evidence to the contrary.

Watch the video in living color- he admits they are doing a different "route"

Ask him straight up how they did it- I don't think he will lie, but you'll probably get a "top secret".

I've got to many Bink stories and reasons to believe they didn't reroute along the way. One is they would of had to do a ton of walking above and beyond the trail as all their resupply was on foot and unsupported. Until they can show the "route" they did take its Hortons record.

jersey joe
05-13-2011, 08:44
I think that 5 or 10 miles is an acceptable variance. If a couple hundred miles were added to the trail, that would be a different story.

You could compare this to HR records in baseball even though every ball park has slightly different dimensions. How do you compare a guy who plays in a ballpark with fences at 350ft vs 400ft??? You just do.

jersey joe
05-13-2011, 10:49
Two tweets by NatureBoyHiking came in an hour ago:

"Another nice day, a vit foggy early but still nice. Left foot is hurting but new insoles are only 63 miles away :-)"

"I have entered the land that Bob Peoples built, and the land of spotty cell coverage!! No rest for the weary, must make my way to Trail Days"

Phreak
05-14-2011, 00:05
Nature Boy rolled into Damascus at approximately 11:55PM.

map man
05-14-2011, 00:41
Eleven days to Damascus means about 42 miles/day thus far. On pace for 52 days. Hope those insoles take care of that heel problem. Hope he doesn't get sucked into the Damascus/Trail Days vortex!

jersey joe
05-14-2011, 09:57
Eleven days to Damascus means about 42 miles/day thus far. On pace for 52 days. Hope those insoles take care of that heel problem. Hope he doesn't get sucked into the Damascus/Trail Days vortex!
Thanks for doing the math map man. 42mpd over 11 days...I really like his chances to come in under 60 days.

Nean
05-14-2011, 11:59
Speaking of Spooky Boys' record- he did the trail 3x that year.:eek:

CrumbSnatcher
05-14-2011, 18:04
nean the last time i wrote ward did the trail 3 times in 1 year, mr. doyle corrected me saying it was 3 times in a 2 year period. doesn't really matter, natureboy seems like a really nice guy,and i wish him well. but ward will always be the man. its easier to surpass someone than to go out there and set the bar.

CrumbSnatcher
05-14-2011, 18:09
BUT what the hell do i know though, i still think BABE RUTH is the all time homerun champ!
memories not to good but i thought ole' HANK AARON had like 8,000 more at bats than the bambino. i'm pretty sure hank never had a 40 homer season but he enjoyed like 23 years in the majors

Nean
05-14-2011, 20:38
nean the last time i wrote ward did the trail 3 times in 1 year, mr. doyle corrected me saying it was 3 times in a 2 year period. doesn't really matter, natureboy seems like a really nice guy,and i wish him well. but ward will always be the man. its easier to surpass someone than to go out there and set the bar.

Maybe WD knows WL better than I but I believe he started from Hapers ferry to Ga. then to Me.(for the record) then to Ga. and then Me. to HF or Hf to Me. but that would only be 8-9months for him. He told he did it 3x in a year....:-?

CrumbSnatcher
05-14-2011, 21:15
it don't really matter any hoo NEAN, ward just loved the trail as much as anyone ever could, and nobody can take that from him! :)
hope all is well with you

CrumbSnatcher
05-14-2011, 21:16
Maybe WD knows WL better than I but I believe he started from Hapers ferry to Ga. then to Me.(for the record) then to Ga. and then Me. to HF or Hf to Me. but that would only be 8-9months for him. He told he did it 3x in a year....:-?
maybe i just understood wrong:-? i too heard 3x 1 year

LBJ
05-14-2011, 21:22
I felt this way when I first joined and was very annoyed with him. Then a more experienced member pointed out that Matthewski was worth the effort to read. He was quite right.

OMG, Now he's being compared to Shakespeare. Where does one find that button?

Nean
05-14-2011, 22:45
OMG, Now he's being compared to Shakespeare. Where does one find that button?

4 rows down, second from the left...

Nean
05-14-2011, 22:47
it don't really matter any hoo NEAN, ward just loved the trail as much as anyone ever could, and nobody can take that from him! :)
hope all is well with you

All is well Crumb, about to take a walk. :banana

..and I still feel bad about that beer

...again:o

CrumbSnatcher
05-15-2011, 07:21
All is well Crumb, about to take a walk. :banana

..and I still feel bad about that beer

...again:o
all is good brother! stop by if your passing thru,i always have a cold beer for ya

max patch
05-15-2011, 07:43
BUT what the hell do i know though, i still think BABE RUTH is the all time homerun champ!

Exactly. In 1927 Babe hit 60 homeruns. That was more than any other TEAM in the American League hit that year.

max patch
05-15-2011, 07:51
nean the last time i wrote ward did the trail 3 times in 1 year, mr. doyle corrected me saying it was 3 times in a 2 year period.

I think what Mr Doyle was trying to clarify is that while Ward hiked the trail 3 times in less than 365 days, he did not hike the trail 3 times in one calendar year.

Wolf - 23000
05-15-2011, 13:02
Speaking of Spooky Boys' record- he did the trail 3x that year.:eek:

A little bit over. He complete 3 full thru-hikes that year. He stopped after hiking another 250 miles, possible trying to complete a fourth thru-hike. He finished all this in 8 months. He got off the trail after having bad stress fracture.

Ward told me he knew that any record he set would one day be broke. His goal was to set muliply records making it almost impossible for any one person to break all of them.

Wolf

Wolf - 23000
05-15-2011, 13:06
I think what Mr Doyle was trying to clarify is that while Ward hiked the trail 3 times in less than 365 days, he did not hike the trail 3 times in one calendar year.

Max patch,

Ward did complete the entire trail 3 times in the same calendar year. He did it all in 8 months.

Wolf

max patch
05-15-2011, 16:08
Thanks wolf. I was just repeating what Mr Doyle said; he is normally a great source when it comes to the various records, times, etc.

Fog Horn
05-16-2011, 13:31
He posted a picture of a really bad foot infection on Facebook. I'm hoping he gets some treatment instead of powering through it or he might not make it.

jersey joe
05-16-2011, 13:49
It was difficult to tell by the picture just how bad it is, but yeah, an injury like this is tough to "power through"...especially considering he is only 1/4 of the way done.

jersey joe
05-16-2011, 14:11
Recent Tweet:
"Antibiotics have been aquired!!! The only question now is how long til my foot is hike ready ??"

Squeaky 2
05-17-2011, 16:27
hows he doing now? i hope this hasnt slowed him down!!! go nature boy

jersey joe
05-17-2011, 16:44
6 Hours ago via facebook:

"Eating breakfast at the Barn Restaurant then heading back on trail. Foot still looks bad but close to a normal stride again. Cold and rainy"

5 Hours ago via facebook:
"Often thouhgt about excuses to quit, now that I have one all I want to do is hike hope these drugs do the trick, nervous"

jersey joe
05-19-2011, 09:16
Latest tweet(5 hours ago):
"Had a good day, no rain this afternoon and I even saw a bit of blue in the sky! Breakfast at Woods Hole tomorrow :-) mile 611.2"

Joker4ink
05-19-2011, 19:27
Facebook status as of 11:30am

New Shoes
Had breakfast with Neville & Michael. It was great to see them but 2 hrs wasn't long enough :-( Picked up my mail drop & shoes now I'm looking at Peariburg.

Blissful
05-19-2011, 19:33
Gee he may just be at our hiker picnic but probably will be past that (week from tomorrow at Smith Roach Gap in SNP - 5/27).

Red Hat
05-19-2011, 22:20
saw on fb that he hitched into Pearisburg having a bummer day... hope he gets some rest and is feeling better real soon

Nean
05-20-2011, 03:56
Gee he may just be at our hiker picnic but probably will be past that (week from tomorrow at Smith Roach Gap in SNP - 5/27).

I hate feeds :rolleyes:, but love picnics!!!:banana

Enjoy!;)

mweinstone
05-20-2011, 09:41
nature boy, i love you as only a gay man should. but straightly. your hike is all i got now. dont care how slow or fast or short or far you go. just know i die when you stop . you may use me for support of any kind. well, most any. lol.

jersey joe
05-23-2011, 14:21
Nature Boy did a 50 mile day yesterday and is aiming for the dutch house tonight...That is about 800 miles in 21 days or a 38mpd average...

jersey joe
05-24-2011, 16:33
Wow, if this is true, this is really bad folks...Update 28 minutes ago from nature boy on facebook...

"I was woke up at 1am by a couple of guys yelling my name and throwing things at my tent. After someone started to unzip my tent, I started to crawl out it happened. I rember waking up on the ground outside of my tent with a massive head ache. I made it to the next shelter and sat against a tree next to it until it was light enough to see, then made it in Waynesboro this morning. "

Lone Wolf
05-24-2011, 16:37
Wow, if this is true, this is really bad folks...Update 28 minutes ago from nature boy on facebook...

"I was woke up at 1am by a couple of guys yelling my name and throwing things at my tent. After someone started to unzip my tent, I started to crawl out it happened. I rember waking up on the ground outside of my tent with a massive head ache. I made it to the next shelter and sat against a tree next to it until it was light enough to see, then made it in Waynesboro this morning. "
too bad he wasn't packin'

Jeff
05-24-2011, 16:42
Man, I hope he is OK.

Sharing your experience with the world on Facebook is apparently dangerous. This is a good example why we on Whiteblaze should not ID a hikers exact location.

WingedMonkey
05-24-2011, 16:48
Not to make light of this, but all of us get called "nature boy" by those that aren't. Don't know yet that he was singled out. I'm waiting to hear more details.

Sierra Echo
05-24-2011, 16:50
He is lucky they didnt run off with his pack. :eek:

Lone Wolf
05-24-2011, 16:51

if some guys are callin' my name in the middle of the night plus throwin' stuff at my tent, they got a helluva surprise comin'

jersey joe
05-24-2011, 16:54
I've never been an advocate of carrying on the trail, but this kind of incident makes me rethink my position....

jbwood5
05-24-2011, 17:02
I'd sure like to know exactly where he was at. It must have been close to a road crossing. I doubt he was singled out but more likely in the wrong place at the wrong time and being harassed by some teens possibly.

Yeah, I don't know about VA, but in Florida it is perfectly legal to shoot if you believe your life is in danger. Of course all the depositions after the fact, and the weight of the piece would just slow him down. :)

Best to avoid these situations when possible.

I'd say this is a pretty rare occurrence.
Possibly a bad nightmare?

I don't pack..... yet.

Buffalo Skipper
05-24-2011, 17:05
Has anything been posted on his twitter page? I hope he is all right....

jersey joe
05-24-2011, 17:11
Has anything been posted on his twitter page? I hope he is all right....
Less info on his twitter page than on facebook so far.
I think it is too coincidental that they called him by name for this to be a random attack.
He did post roughly where he was on facebook last night... "Mile 846"

fiddlehead
05-24-2011, 20:13
Wow! This is just totally ****ed up!
Who would do something like this?
A group of people no less?
Hard to believe.
I hope he files a report and they catch these bastards.

Del Q
05-24-2011, 20:32
Just awful. I spent some time with Bill Irwin last fall, he told me that at times when we was at road crossings there were a LOT of people waiting for him, popularity has its' downside.

This just stinks...............

mweinstone
05-24-2011, 21:09
sorry nature boy. dont stop. please!

Red Hat
05-25-2011, 08:10
apparently he was dragged from his tent about 1 am Tuesday and beaten. He was in VA not far from the Blue Ridge Pkwy. He made it to Waynesboro and the Augusta hospital. He is out, but still not sure whether he'll go on. I am praying for his speedy recovery. As much as I want him to break the record, I am more concerned for his health.

lazy river road
05-25-2011, 08:19
This just makes me sad inside. My hear goes out to nature boy who could do such a thing. My best thoughts and wishes go out to Him. I hope they catch the culprits and they get what punishment they deserve.

4Bears
05-25-2011, 08:57
This just makes me sad inside. My hear goes out to nature boy who could do such a thing. My best thoughts and wishes go out to Him. I hope they catch the culprits and they get what punishment they deserve.

Unfortunately if the sub-humans are caught they would not get the punishment they deserve only the one prescribed by law. If there was true justice in this case it could be quite interesting, of course it involves a fire ant hill, wet rawhide, well it gets rather complicated from there. I am saddened that some feel the need to interfere with some elses good time. I just hope Nature Boy can continue and complete his quest.

Sly
05-25-2011, 09:21
Less info on his twitter page than on facebook so far.
I think it is too coincidental that they called him by name for this to be a random attack.
He did post roughly where he was on facebook last night... "Mile 846"

Unless he specifically mentioned a road crossing, obviously it had to be done by someone familiar with the trail. According to the 2011 Companion mile 846 is between Bear Spring and Glass Hollow Overlook. The nearest road is 6 miles south and 8 miles north, Paul Wolfe Shelter was three miles north.

I dunno, it sounds like it had to be hikers.

jersey joe
05-25-2011, 09:35
Unless he specifically mentioned a road crossing, obviously it had to be done by someone familiar with the trail. According to the 2011 Companion mile 846 is between Bear Spring and Glass Hollow Overlook. The nearest road is 6 miles south and 8 miles north, Paul Wolfe Shelter was three miles north.

I dunno, it sounds like it had to be hikers.
Makes sense....

jersey joe
05-25-2011, 09:37
Latest from Nature Boy on facebook...seems he is still feeling pretty crappy.

"Chris from #LEKI stopped by and took me out to breakfast. Feeling rough this am, light-headed & dizzy, hoping my head starts to clear soon.."

Sly
05-25-2011, 10:14
Makes sense....

Not really. Why would anyone do that?

jersey joe
05-25-2011, 10:17
Not really. Why would anyone do that?
The point that it must have been someone who knows the trail somewhat makes sense. Of course pulling someone out of a tent and beating them senseless does not make sense.

Storm
05-25-2011, 11:01
If they catch these lowlife I think a just punishment would be to put them in a locked room with Lone Wolf one at a time. Or maybe even two.

mweinstone
05-25-2011, 12:27
if anyone here can muster a motovation speach,..please!!!!!!! lets pump our boy back up with enthusiasm.

natybo,...bro, friend, earthmate, space dude, please. hike like you need to get the anger out. walk off the phicical violation and scent of them. use your anger to reach out to others. i allways knew you would be able to do this hike as you wished. your fans love you enough for a thousand lifetimes. go dog go!

mweinstone
05-25-2011, 12:29
ignore the math and see if you cant surprise yourself. in the end, you will walk a week straight like you were reasted and freash . and all from the inner fire that cannot be put out, covered or overfueled. now is your time to burn bright. even brighter than you could have imagined.

Jack Tarlin
05-25-2011, 13:09
Interesting. Was this crime reported? If so, to whom? If not, why not?

Mizirlou
05-25-2011, 18:35
Wishing Nature Boy does what feels right to him. Tweets that he’s feeling smothered by all the attention. Hard to say what he’ll do but, myself, I’d carry more weight.
Ruger LCP .380
9.4 ounces

Red Hat
05-25-2011, 18:42
it is even possible for someone with cracked ribs and a concussion to do 50 mile days? I'd love to see him break the record, but not at the expense of his health...

lutefisk
05-25-2011, 19:02
...of course it involves a fire ant hill, wet rawhide, well it gets rather complicated from there.

You must know my older brother. When we were kids and he came after me his methods included the above plus four railroad spikes, and some honey on my belly to attract the ants.

Enough nostalgia. I wish Nature Boy all the best, whatever he decides from here.

Lone Wolf
05-25-2011, 19:21
Interesting. Was this crime reported? If so, to whom? If not, why not?

Wishing Nature Boy does what feels right to him. Tweets that he’s feeling smothered by all the attention. Hard to say what he’ll do but, myself, I’d carry more weight.
Ruger LCP .380
9.4 ounces

it's got me wonderin', jack :-?
and a sidearm woulda done wonders

Lostone
05-25-2011, 20:11
Wow.....

Son and I have been watching his progress with some excitement and hope.

I just can't believe someone would single him out and attack him.

Just make me think that public trail journals and like like are not such a good idea.

Wolf - 23000
05-26-2011, 03:40
This is one of the reasons why trail journals can really be a bad thing. If these guys can real his trail post. It is not hard to figure out roughly where someone will be. The bad side is there is @$$ holes out there that will do things like this.

Wolf

LBJ
05-26-2011, 08:16
Is anyone other than me seeing a pattern here: "Someone stole my shoes"; "Someone beat me up"?

CrumbSnatcher
05-26-2011, 08:41
Is anyone other than me seeing a pattern here: "Someone stole my shoes"; "Someone beat me up"?
are you saying he's looking for an out?
maybe he fell on the trail and hurt himself

lazy river road
05-26-2011, 08:43
"Someone stole my shoes";

He had his shoes stolen, must of missed that one. Man why cant people leave this guy alone and let him HHOH (hike his own hike)

are their any latest reports. Do we know if he is back on the trail or not?

LBJ
05-26-2011, 08:49
are you saying he's looking for an out?
maybe he fell on the trail and hurt himself

Just sayin', You make up your own mind.

Red Hat
05-26-2011, 09:22
Obviously you guys dont know Natureboy or you wouldn't be accusing him. He has hiked before in very short times, with no journaingl or publicity. He is a very quiet, humble guy. Yes, his shoes were taken and moved up the trail a bit, as a prank early on in his hike. The beating incident is for real. He was in the hospital! He has cracked ribs and a concussion! I don't know if he felt like hiking again this morning or not yet. But if he wanted to just quit, he would have, without the drama.

Slo-go'en
05-26-2011, 09:35
If Nature Boy decides to continue on after he heals a bit, the down time resulting from this unfortunate incident should not be counted as part of the trip time.

CrumbSnatcher
05-26-2011, 09:39
redhat, i was asking LBJ a question on his statement, i never accused anyone of anything. i too have been following natureboy,have wished him goodluck before and i will again. good luck NB, take care of yourself

JAK
05-26-2011, 15:41
bears ain't so bad

Pedaling Fool
05-26-2011, 15:47
If Nature Boy decides to continue on after he heals a bit, the down time resulting from this unfortunate incident should not be counted as part of the trip time.
I'm not going to debate anyone on this, but I think if the time taken off is long enough, say a week, then that's too much of a recovery. It's like any other sport if you get an injury and are unable to continue that's just tough. This isn't the first time an injury wasn't caused by an accident, rather a hostile "fan".

JAK
05-26-2011, 15:51
I would guess that Nature Boy would agree with you.

max patch
05-26-2011, 15:52

its a dam shame, but the clock doesn't stop on a record attempt.

JAK
05-26-2011, 15:53
Has anyone done the trail unsupported including no hitching of rides for resupply?
Just asking.

JAK
05-26-2011, 15:54
Anyhow, I think he will still make it in under 60 days.

Red Hat
05-26-2011, 16:56
According to his fb, he tried to go out today, but was too dizzy and headed back to town. Since there is no "official" record, times are counted from start to end with no asteriscs subtracted for recovery time...

Sly
05-26-2011, 17:22
it's got me wonderin', jack :-?
and a sidearm woulda done wonders

What's that supposed to mean, he would have shot himself in the foot? ;)

Sly
05-26-2011, 17:25

LOL.... yeah sure. :rolleyes:

Blissful
05-26-2011, 19:08
According to his fb, he tried to go out today, but was too dizzy and headed back to town. .

He needs to get off before he has brain injury. Concussions can take several weeks to heal. A record is not worth this.

The AT is there. He can try again another time. And it will be great.

stranger
05-26-2011, 19:11

I recall him mentioning he somehow left his shoes outside his tent and found them in the morning...

I must say this sounds fairly unlikely, especially considering how far away from a road he was, not saying he's not being genuine, just in 16 years of hiking, thousands of miles, I have never heard of something like this happening.

But then again, I've never seen anyone say 'hey I'm camped at mile 846' on the internet, usually with trail journals, hikers report on where they have just been, as opposed to where they are at the moment.

mweinstone
05-26-2011, 20:04
i belive you are all reacting. try acting. be yourselves. i know each and every good natured one of you wants the best for him. im seeing what i call mountaineers and hikers and climbers and long distance hikers acting in a way most unlike the comraderic ways of past comrads. yall need to ditch the negetive and try to embrace the wonderful spitit that is the great outdoors and all its pursuits we enjoy. the unbelievable negetivity here by just a mere smattering of folks makes a huge cloude of yukkyness over what is a proud and brave and tru conquest of human wonders. please be kind to one another and to nattybo. one day, when you are dieing, or a loved on is, you may have a perspective that saddens you for its truth to lateness. be real hikers. you love nature boy, you want him to go on, and you will help him in any way including moral support. do it! or your less than hikers to this hiker and more of fools.respect.

Lone Wolf
05-26-2011, 20:30
He needs to get off before he has brain injury. Concussions can take several weeks to heal. A record is not worth this.

The AT is there. He can try again another time. And it will be great.

he didn't go to a hospital. i call BS

fiddlehead
05-26-2011, 20:44
Not everyone goes to hospitals.
Sounds like he's been communicating with doctors and his ribs are not broken or cracked.

What exactly are you calling BS?

Lone Wolf
05-26-2011, 20:46
What exactly are you calling BS?

the whole story.
if someone beat my ass to confusion and unconciousness i'd be goin' to hospital. not texting friggin' docs

fiddlehead
05-26-2011, 20:57
That's you.
I doubt I would.
I've been to the hospital only a few times in my life.
Once they saved me.
The rest of the time, I felt like they just were interested in making money.
turned me off from them.

I have a few doctor friends who i would trust more.

Lone Wolf
05-26-2011, 20:58
That's you.
I doubt I would.
I've been to the hospital only a few times in my life.
Once they saved me.
The rest of the time, I felt like they just were interested in making money.
turned me off from them.

I have a few doctor friends who i would trust more.

ok. you win. i still call bs

Mags
05-26-2011, 21:02
Hey all....let's not turn this into another "The guy who lived in a snow cave for a year and went hiking for a record (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67471)" thread. :)

No good came of that.

Nature Boy was obviously hurt based on what other people said and reported from first hand experience.

Are there were other circumstances beyond what we know? Well..who knows? (in my case,cares? ;) )

But, after the first round of initial speculation, these threads invariably turn into pissing contests.

So, let's try to keep it civil.. :)

I think we all hope he has a speedy recovery and comes back to do the trail under better circumstances!

Thanks!

Blissful
05-26-2011, 21:03
Problem is doc friends can't diagnose a slow bleed in the brain via a cell phone. That actress gal died from it in a skiing accident when her head got bashed. You don't fool around with a concussion. Football players usually are out for several weeks from playing games if they have it.

JAK
05-26-2011, 22:08
There was a boy
Very strange enchanted boy
They say he wandered very far
Very far, over land and sea

A little shy and sad of eye
Very wise, very wise was he

And then one day
A magic day he passed my way
And while we spoke of many things
Fools and kings, this he said to me

"Greatest thing you could ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return
To be loved in return"

And then one day
One magic day he passed my way
As we spoke of many things

To be loved in return"

To be loved in return

Lone Wolf
05-26-2011, 22:27
There was a boy
Very strange enchanted boy
They say he wandered very far
Very far, over land and sea

A little shy and sad of eye
Very wise, very wise was he

And then one day
A magic day he passed my way
And while we spoke of many things

To be loved in return"

And then one day
One magic day he passed my way
As we spoke of many things

To be loved in return"

To be loved in return
hardly germane to the topic :rolleyes:

LBJ
05-26-2011, 22:36
Nature Boy was obviously hurt based on what other people said and reported from first hand experience.

Are there were other circumstances beyond what we know? Well..who knows? (in my case,cares? ;) )

So you are saying that someone has actually seen him(NB) on the trail first hand and can verify all that he has said has really happened to him? I for one do care - to me, it's fascinating. If it's true, he has to have some really onery, dedicated people harassing him, or he has to be the unluckiest person on the AT.

Mags
05-26-2011, 22:50
So you are saying that someone has actually seen him(NB) on the trail first hand and can verify all that he has said has really happened to him?

People have stated they have met him and he is one hurting unit.

When I say "I don't care"..I mean I really don't care if there are other circumstances not being told. None of my business.

The end result is the same: The dude is hurt, he's not feeling well to put it mildly and his attempt at setting a record is in doubt.

Rather than endless speculation (see the other thread I mentioned!), I'd rather wish him good luck, hope he heals up and able to make another record attempt in the future.

Hope that makes more sense! :)

10-K
05-26-2011, 22:55
He hiked a lot further a lot faster than I ever could have even if he quits now.

mweinstone
05-27-2011, 02:15
nature boys one of these guys who eats shazandra berries in the morning and kalva at night. and for lunch prolly has like an umbashi plum .i bet he dosnt belive in underware and has never used soap. i got friends like him. his room is full of stuff he found even though he has millions tucked away from makeing bagels at 4 in the morning.
shazandra berrie eaters usually make bagel batter at 4 in the morning. they like to be alone. i also know for a fact nature boy would never be anything but kind to strangers. but he may come off as frightening to criminals looking to beat someone up. thats my theory. that the criminals only beat him up when they got scared by seeing his tent in the dark and hearing a sleeping person breathing inside. they prolly freaked out haveing never seen such a thing and feared for their lives. im just sayin, if i was a train robber and ran out into the night after loosing my loot and haveing my horse get lame, i might stumble on his tent and get scared too. and i also know the types of bagels most umbashi lovers make are fake with preservatives. they dont eat them or bring them home from work cause they know their bad for you. soap haters like healthy foods and never would give dough condishoners to friends or strangers or dogs or even other kalv drinkers.
in fact if you ever saw nature boy or any shazandra people, you would blok it out. the mind just isnt a place the memory even of a batter baker hiker can hang out and feel comfortable. these natural boys on berries are funny like that. very very elusive is the word. i for one, treasure my friends with rooms full of old crap they found, cans of cash and no wants.
for dc.wherever you are with mine turtle.