PDA

View Full Version : Lyme

Reid
05-03-2011, 11:54
Has anyone ever seen Lyme take more than 6 months to a year to have any onset or effects? Possibly triggered by alcohol? And is it anything worth while to think that a dog may have brought a tick in, going unnoticed, then effecting the owner? Something is all over me and I was searching for flu and cold like symptoms and twice I came across suggestions that Lyme disease could be a factor. No bulls eye, but then again the only ticks I've had were in my head. I hunt fish camp run and most things in between. I don't hunt at the fish camp (though maybe I could) but that is my general MO on the weekends. Haven't camped since turkey season began.

88BlueGT
05-03-2011, 11:56
See a doctor

Reid
05-03-2011, 12:16
I did. Did not bring up Lyme though. Blood tests were normal beside low T and NSAIDS and IB won't touch it.

Reid
05-03-2011, 12:17
I know ppl who don't drink because of 5 day hangovers but not from 2 jamesons.

rambunny
05-04-2011, 09:47
The test is 50% false positive-so it has not been ruled out. If you are saying you've had it more than 6 months you need to find a Dr VERY knowlegeable about Lyme as you may have as i do chronic Lyme disease. Good Luck.

LDog
05-04-2011, 10:08
Ask for the Western Blot test. Doc might want to give an ELISA Lyme test first, and it's cheaper. But if it comes back negative, and your doc agrees you have the symptom profile, demand the Western Blot, and ask that it be tested at IGeneX in California.

Reid
05-04-2011, 15:59
I'll try that, thanks for the info from both. It's effecting me mentally too which is really weird I'm usually not paranoid or mean or dissociative.

perrito
05-04-2011, 21:33
I just found out today that I have the Anaplasma bacteria. It is a "coinfection". I'm still looking into it. You should have a doctor run a thorough series of Lyme blood test, not just the standard ones.

TravelPro
05-23-2011, 22:55
Definitely take action. Delay and time are not your friends when Lyme's could be involved. Anecdotally there are a lot of people who take too long to get diagnosed or get false reassurance from a doctor who isn't up on Lyme's.
My bud got covered in ticks, literally dozens of them, saw an Urgent Care center doctor who gave him a lot of what my friend knew was clueless misinformation, told him he didn't even need blood tests since there were no 'bullseyes'. Total clown show. Bud follows up with his own doc, got tested and retested, learned he had several infections, then did the antibiotics course. See someone who knows about Lyme's STAT.

Chop
05-24-2011, 14:07
Definitely be proactive and bring it up with a doc.

Years ago, when I had it, I was misdiagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis first, and then doc realized it was lyme.

Tenderheart
05-24-2011, 14:18
I would think that you're in the wrong area for Lyme disease. I understand that SNP is pretty much the southern boundary for deer ticks, which are invisible to the human eye, as I'm sure you know.

TravelPro
05-24-2011, 14:29
Deer ticks are small and easy to overlook but they are definitely visible if you're looking for them. SNP is full of them.
Deer ticks are in a pretty wide territory, and humans are one of their transport vehicles.
Lyme's not the only serious disease spread by ticks, and deer ticks are not the only species to carry disease. Lots of misconceptions about ticks and disease going around.

The Old Boot
05-24-2011, 14:38
I would think that you're in the wrong area for Lyme disease. I understand that SNP is pretty much the southern boundary for deer ticks, which are invisible to the human eye, as I'm sure you know.

That's what Dr's in Canada keep saying to us up here too!

Coincidentally, I was just reading an article in Reader's Digest about the difficulty in getting a Lyme disease diagnosis here in Canada...just about impossible since the government run health care system won't acknowledge standard US protocol for treating the disease, denies that you can get it in most of the country and IF, BIG IF you can find a doctor to even do testing for it, the ELISA test is standard protocol (it has a bad rep for false readings).

From what I can understand research has shown that ticks carrying the bacteria responsible for Lyme are known to hitch rides on migratory birds. This means that no matter where you are in the continent, you CAN be at risk for Lyme. Yes, ticks population varies by area but the possibility still exists.

Tenderheart
05-24-2011, 14:52
Deer ticks are small and easy to overlook but they are definitely visible if you're looking for them. SNP is full of them.
Deer ticks are in a pretty wide territory, and humans are one of their transport vehicles.
Lyme's not the only serious disease spread by ticks, and deer ticks are not the only species to carry disease. Lots of misconceptions about ticks and disease going around.

Well, I guess the MD's at the local health department are wrong.

Buffalo Skipper
05-24-2011, 15:31
Here what appears to be a pretty informative site on tick identification. It has good photos and include common objects for a size reference.

http://www.oes.org/html/how_2_identify_different_ticks.html

Reid
05-24-2011, 17:40
Luckily I don't have Lyme. And luckily that ordeal wasn't too expensive either. I know more about Lyme then I would like too as well. I hope it never comes in handy.

Spirit Walker
05-24-2011, 22:25
So what did it turn out to be?

Reid
05-24-2011, 23:36
Some kind of virus I had to have gotten from the resturant I was at. Absolutley ridiculous though. I'm still suspect my gf didn't put ruffies in my chicken noodles to keep me home. No, but it did level me for something close to 9 days and didn't look to be getting any better.

Reid
05-25-2011, 11:46
I have seen Lyme here though. Hank Parker's son, if you know who they are, got it in late fall a few years ago and we border them to the north.

long island bob
05-25-2011, 16:09
I had lyme and never noticed a bullseye. I did (eventually) notice a large red splotch like this one:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/259231/large/M2000081-Erythema_due_to_Lyme_disease_on_young_girl_s_chest-SPL.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sciencephoto.com/media/259231/enlarge&usg=__9Mjzx_Ik4HzgI5tatP4ESXrYteM=&h=378&w=530&sz=35&hl=en&start=8&sig2=oxhrVXR_r8hSgCe0AQ0f9g&zoom=1&tbnid=q9UIlAzY5SFLuM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=132&ei=_WHdTerjEtScgQeYmunsDw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dlyme%2Bdisease%2Bred%26um%3D1%26hl%3D en%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26rlz%3D1I7ADRA_en%26biw%3D1259%26bih%3D460%26t bm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

Yes the symptoms are very flu-like. In my case the symptoms also included
- extreme bouts of tiredness
- irregularities regarding urination

long island bob
05-25-2011, 16:12
Oh, lyme is easy to cure (antibiotics) but the most highly-recommended lyme-specific anti-biotics are quite costly.

Lyme that hs been untreated in teh body for a long time can be quite problematic however.