PDA

View Full Version : Wicking undershorts, shirts, and socks

tolkien
05-03-2011, 18:54
I'm looking into some wicking clothing to take on a hike. I've already got socks, but I need underwear and shirts. Do UnderArmour shirts/briefs work, or is there a special brand I should look into?

I got 2 pairs of Wigwam wicking ultralight sock liners and 2 pairs of Smartwool mountaineering heavy socks: it's a bit much, I know, but I'd rather be over-padded than under-padded.

Doc Mike
05-03-2011, 19:17
exofficio work well but a little pricey. Then again what would you pay not to have a chaffing issue.

bk18
05-03-2011, 19:22
I've always used Starter brand compression shorts from Walmart. Pretty similar to UnderArmor only a lot cheaper. I've always had chaffing issues but not since I switched to these. For a thru-hike, definitely buy quality, something that will last. However for shorter trips, I've been very pleased with my WM undershorts. Your mileage may vary.

88BlueGT
05-03-2011, 19:25
WalMart works well too. I'll spend the extra money for almost anything to get the 'good' gear but with underwear and tee shirts? no. Just spent $30 2 days ago got 2 pairs of underwear and a long-sleeve shirt. Both are Starter brand and seem to be pretty good quality. If you have the cash and you don't mind spending $35-50 dollars for a tee-shirt than I guess go for it, theres alot of nice stuff out there.

leaftye
05-03-2011, 19:30
I wouldn't bother with UnderArmour briefs unless they are boxer briefs with at least a 6" inseam. UA is generally more snug around the thighs, which helps them stay down and do their job of preventing chafing. UA is the only company that makes briefs with a 9" inseam which I find to be far superior to the 6" inseam version.

Target sells Champion C9 full synthetic boxer briefs that are great, but I've heard they pill up a lot faster than the UA version. If you're a really big guy, you'll need to stick with UA because C9 boxer briefs don't come in the bigger sizes.

I also have Patagonia boxer briefs, but they're not tight at all around the thighs, so they do a piss poor job of preventing chafing because they ride up after a few footsteps.

I'm not so sure about your socks. My thick socks get so hot that I blister up in no time. My feet fare much better in very thin socks.

Trailbender
05-03-2011, 20:34
I wear women's synthetic underwear, 0.5 oz per pair. Men's are 2.3 oz, for the same exact thing. I wear wool socks year round, they last a long time and are comfortable. Wear 2 pair in the winter. Diaper rash ointment with zinc oxide is good for chafing, and sunscreen as well.

tolkien
05-03-2011, 21:36
WalMart works well too. I'll spend the extra money for almost anything to get the 'good' gear but with underwear and tee shirts? no. Just spent $30 2 days ago got 2 pairs of underwear and a long-sleeve shirt. Both are Starter brand and seem to be pretty good quality. If you have the cash and you don't mind spending $35-50 dollars for a tee-shirt than I guess go for it, theres alot of nice stuff out there.

If anything, underwear strikes me as the one thing to spend big on: its an area I value and want to protect.

I'm not so sure about your socks. My thick socks get so hot that I blister up in no time. My feet fare much better in very thin socks.

Thats why I'm taking thin liners and heavy socks: in case it gets too warm.

tolkien
05-03-2011, 21:38
[QUOTE=leaftye;1154522]I wouldn't bother with UnderArmour briefs unless they are boxer briefs with at least a 6" inseam. UA is generally more snug around the thighs, which helps them stay down and do their job of preventing chafing. UA is the only company that makes briefs with a 9" inseam which I find to be far superior to the 6" inseam version.

Target sells Champion C9 full synthetic boxer briefs that are great, but I've heard they pill up a lot faster than the UA version. If you're a really big guy, you'll need to stick with UA because C9 boxer briefs don't come in the bigger sizes.
QUOTE]

Alright. So the UA 9'' underwear works well. Does dry quickly, or does it hold water? I've looked at the labels on UA gear before and it's occasionally been partially cotton.

Ranc0r
05-03-2011, 21:49
+1 for Ex Officio boxer briefs. Stay in place, wick the moisture, dry in minutes, don't get petro stink after an hour. Worth it to me.

Ranc0r

leaftye
05-03-2011, 21:53
Alright. So the UA 9'' underwear works well. Does dry quickly, or does it hold water? I've looked at the labels on UA gear before and it's occasionally been partially cotton.

My UA boxer briefs have no cotton. Maybe you're thinking of some C9 boxer briefs? There are C9 boxer briefs that don't have cotton, but they're a little harder to find.

It's impossible to directly compare the 9" UA boxer briefs to anything else because there are no other 9" inseam boxer briefs. There are other boxer briefs that breathe better, but they don't fit as well. I'd rather have briefs that fit well and take a little longer to dry than to have uselessly loose briefs that dry instantly.

88BlueGT
05-03-2011, 21:56
If anything, underwear strikes me as the one thing to spend big on: its an area I value and want to protect.

Thats why I'm taking thin liners and heavy socks: in case it gets too warm.

Everyones different but I do just fine in the starter underwear. I have one pair from EMS as well which I like alot.

EDIT: I probably shouldn't say that too fast as I have just gotten them. I'm sure I'll have a thread next week about how horrible Starter underwear are, that's just my kind of luck

tolkien
05-03-2011, 22:06
My UA boxer briefs have no cotton. Maybe you're thinking of some C9 boxer briefs? There are C9 boxer briefs that don't have cotton, but they're a little harder to find.

It's impossible to directly compare the 9" UA boxer briefs to anything else because there are no other 9" inseam boxer briefs. There are other boxer briefs that breathe better, but they don't fit as well. I'd rather have briefs that fit well and take a little longer to dry than to have uselessly loose briefs that dry instantly.
Alright. So I'll take two pairs of the 9'' UA boxers so one can be drying in the pack.

ALLEGHENY
05-03-2011, 22:20
Buy American! WICKERS:cool:

ALLEGHENY
05-03-2011, 22:24
javascript:popupWindow2('http://www.wickers.com/popups/performance-thermal-underwear-prodZoom.cfm?imageName=WA100P%2Ejpg&alt=WA100P%20%2D%20Men%26rsquo%3Bs%20S%2FS%20Moist ure%20Wicking%20Printed%20T%2DShirt',%20'Win02',%2 0290,%20285)

skoolbyrd
05-04-2011, 00:00
My UA boxers make me accumulate MORE moisture in my grundle than regular cotton undies. I never dry out when I've taken them - which is why I do not take them anymore! Ex Officio or Patagonia FTW.

Rick500
05-04-2011, 10:24
I like ExOfficio. YMMV.

LIhikers
05-04-2011, 11:19
I just used THESE (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___77870) for a hike of the C+O Canal and they worked great.
It rain almost every day and they were even comfortable under those conditions. I highly recommend them.

Old Hiker
05-04-2011, 11:28

+1 on wickers - I've used them for 7 day section hikes - kept me dry and chafe free, but I usually don't chafe anyway. Did not pick up much smell, either.

Jim Adams
05-05-2011, 11:26
I had a pair of Patagonia compression briefs with the 6" inseam and I wore them out in 3 weeks on the PCT. Bought a pair of UA compression briefs and they are still going strong 4 years and about 2000 miles later.

I usually wear none under a kilt or SmartWool bottoms any other time. These combos have completely stopped the severe chaffing that I used to get.

geek

Walkintom
05-05-2011, 15:34
I also use the starter compression shorts from wallyworld. They solved chafing for me.

MkBibble
05-05-2011, 15:43
+1 for UA 9". I can also attest to how much better the 9" inseam works.

tolkien
05-05-2011, 17:41
I'm going to buy a pair of 9'' UA and a pair of ExOfficio, and possibly a pair of wool undershorts (if I can find something similar to my smartwool socks) and take them on a test hike.

Spogatz
05-06-2011, 00:16

second. These are the best :banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana