PDA

View Full Version : Giving up job for at

carpattack
05-03-2011, 18:58
So I have been planning on doing a 2012 nobo thru since January and my wife for the most part has been supportive until recently. She is worried about me giving up my job to hike and not being able to find another one with the way the economy is.

Just curious if anyone had any issues finding a decent paying job after thru hiking or am I just totally insane for wanting to give mine up? Now seems like the right time since we don't have kids yet.

Rocket Jones
05-03-2011, 19:01
When times are good the decision is a lot easier, but you know what kind of demand there is for your particular skill set. If I were in your situation, I'd take a second long, hard look at whether or not to go. I'm not saying I'd definitely put it off, but I'd be double damn sure I could pick up where I left off after the hike.

EastCoastFeastCoast
05-03-2011, 19:13
Are you talking about a"job" or a "career"? Jobs you can find... careers can be different. Will your employer not give you adequate time off?

johnnybgood
05-03-2011, 19:29
Depends on your skill set . Do you have a skill that is universally needed.

Section hike unless you're absolutely positive , no job offers after a six month vacation would certainly suck.

stranger
05-03-2011, 19:40
There is always a reason to not do something...ALWAYS

wvgrinder
05-03-2011, 19:49

;););););););););););););););););););););););););)

max patch
05-03-2011, 20:07
I quit my job (career) to hike the trail. I would not make that decision today given the state of the economy.

If you need to make the same amount of money in a reasonable period of time when your hike is over then you should keep your job and hike later.

Ask for a leave and see what they say.

royalusa
05-03-2011, 20:25
A very similar (and long) thread:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64973

Shooting Star
05-03-2011, 20:25
At your age, you've got plenty of time to tackle the trail
and wait for a better time to do it. Do some week or 2 week
section trips to tame the urge.

10-K
05-03-2011, 20:38
I wouldn't do it but I'm rather attached to having a life outside of hiking. :)

Trailbender
05-03-2011, 20:42

That doesn't work. I did my thru last year, came back to college, and all I could think of was the AT. After failing a few easy classes, I decided to get back on the AT, not sure if I will do another thru or what.

WingedMonkey
05-03-2011, 20:43
So I have been planning on doing a 2012 nobo thru since January and my wife for the most part has been supportive until recently. She is worried about me giving up my job to hike and not being able to find another one with the way the economy is.

Just curious if anyone had any issues finding a decent paying job after thru hiking or am I just totally insane for wanting to give mine up? Now seems like the right time since we don't have kids yet.

Those who have never completed a thru hike will tell you don't do it. Those that have completed a thru hike already have.

4shot
05-03-2011, 23:09
I am making about 10% of what i was making prior to my hike. My philosophy is that anyone fortunate enough to live in America is wealthy if you keep things in perspective...after all, look at how many "poor" people we have who are overweight, have TV's and cars and air conditioning etc. With that being said, i did the whole "career" thing prior to ditching it. maybe leaving is easier if you have "scratched the itch" so to speak.

One thing i believe...it's best to do the hike before you and the wife have kids or wait until they're old enough to not notice or care if you are gone for 5-6 months.

sbhikes
05-03-2011, 23:37
You are asking the wrong people if you are crazy.

I quit and it's been hard finding a good job again and I have a relatively good skill set. Thing is, it might be hard to get back to work for more reasons than just the availability of jobs. I am looking for a job now, having been under-employed since my 2009 hike. In the back of my head is this waffling. What if I get a good job and have to give up the idea of hiking again for years and years?

Toolshed
05-03-2011, 23:44
My vote is that you are crazy:D.
I am too A-type and focused on earning for my family/retirement to quit a good paying job (or career) to go "live a dream" on the AT.
I think there is waaaay too much romanticism by those sitting at their desks slowly picking away at their existential scabs [Krakauer]and surveying their banal lives. Poor/under-employed people seem to rationalize away their existence with "it isn't about the money, or "we've never been happier with nothing...."

You'll be back in less than a year, trying to play catch up and perhaps salvage a relationship or two... trying to rebuild the remnants.

I'm not saying some can't do it, but I think there are a lot more facesavers out there than those who truly want to live the dream....;)

Northern Lights
05-04-2011, 00:45
My vote is that you are crazy:D.
I am too A-type and focused on earning for my family/retirement to quit a good paying job (or career) to go "live a dream" on the AT.
I think there is waaaay too much romanticism by those sitting at their desks slowly picking away at their existential scabs [Krakauer]and surveying their banal lives. Poor/under-employed people seem to rationalize away their existence with "it isn't about the money, or "we've never been happier with nothing...."

You'll be back in less than a year, trying to play catch up and perhaps salvage a relationship or two... trying to rebuild the remnants.

I'm not saying some can't do it, but I think there are a lot more facesavers out there than those who truly want to live the dream....;)

I guess I am an A type as well then. I will happily section and wait out my 12.5 years until I can take early retirement. Our company will give a 6 month sabatical. But by the time you get back everything has changed so much there is no way I could do the same job at the same pay without retraining.

The trail will be there in 20 yrs, your job may not be there in 6 months. JMHO

Datto
05-04-2011, 06:17
I wouldn't ever let a job get in the way of my dreams.

Your question leans more toward whether you have the financial resources necessary to afford a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail -- to allow you and your spouse to be mentally comfortable with the costs of an AT thru-hike.

If the answer is no, you don't have the necessary finances for an AT thru-hike and you go ahead and do the thru-hike anyhow, it's likely you'll drive a wedge into the relationship with your spouse.

If the answer is yes and you have the financial resources for an AT thru-hike and your wife is still uncomfortable, then you need to nail down why it is she is uncomfortable and get to the root of the problem.

Examples:

* loneliness while you're gone
* not willing to hold down the fort alone while you're gone
* jealousy that you're fulfilling a dream and she's not
* worried about faithfulness
* wanting the funds used for a thru-hike to be used differently such as house buying

Since you have plenty of time, begin today to address the concerns of your wife. Get ahead of it -- if you let this go and don't address the issue, it's likely going to fester. The absolute last thing you want for starting a thru-hike is to have some major problem back home festering and pestering you every day.

Datto

4shot
05-04-2011, 08:21
Poor/under-employed people seem to rationalize away their existence with "it isn't about the money, or "we've never been happier with nothing...."

rationalization is the salve for the human condition and must be a gift from God. People who toil away endlessly at careers/jobs that they don't truly enjoy tell themselves they "can't afford to quit" or I'm "sacrificing my time now for the future". People who quit to hike,travel,focus on hobbies, etc. also have the same belief that they too chose the right path. To the OP, if you are like most human beings it doesn't matter in the end what decision that you make, you will find a way to rationalize that decision in a way that you will be comfortable with. We all do.

The_Truth
05-04-2011, 08:36
I'm not sure humanity evolved to this point so we can endure 40 hour work weeks waiting for that two week vacation.

I have not done a thru hike. But I did quit a career so I could live in China. Didn't regret it even though I made 50% less after returning to the US.

I left that job to live in Korea.

Both times I had immediate family members die while I was abroad.

Still, I do not regret those decisions.

Thoreau said, "I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success in uncommon hours."

The question is, what are your dreams?

DapperD
05-04-2011, 10:00

Just curious if anyone had any issues finding a decent paying job after thru hiking or am I just totally insane for wanting to give mine up? Now seems like the right time since we don't have kids yet.Your wife may or may not have legitimate concerns with regards to your ability to earn a living upon your return. You don't say what type of work you do, but if it is a good job with decent benefits, etc...with the way the economy is and appears headed there is a chance you will have trouble replacing a good job (if you quit) with a comparatively good one once the hike is over. If you are well off financially, then naturally there would be less of a risk upon your return. Having plenty of savings would buy you the time you would need to begin the effort to find another form of employment. The extra money would act as a buffer so you could take the time necessary to recover from your hike and not be too concerned for a while. Also a problem may exist whereas if your wife is forced to assume the role of "bread winner", eventual resentment may arise if you are unable to resume working in a timely fashion. There are no easy answers here. Not having kids is definately a plus as far as that issue is concerned. Having and raising babies and young adolescents is no easy endeavor under the best of circumstances, and "abandoning" your significant other at that time to enjoy a 5 to 6 month hike can and would most likely cause resentment if your other half was forced to shoulder the full burden of raising the children alone. I think it best to sit down and truly discuss with your wife your wanting to do the hike before children are delivered into your lives. Consider all your wifes concerns and attempt to make the best decision regarding both of your lives wants and needs. Good Luck

chief
05-04-2011, 13:31
I'm not sure humanity evolved to this point so we can endure 40 hour work weeks waiting for that two week vacation.

I have not done a thru hike. But I did quit a career so I could live in China. Didn't regret it even though I made 50% less after returning to the US.

Thoreau said, "I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success in uncommon hours."

Nope, the questions are: did you, at least, feel some loss in the deaths of your family members while you were off fulfilling your dreams or were you able to rationalize away even that? You did mention humanity.

10-K
05-04-2011, 14:06
Looks like there will always be 2 camps with different opinions about this.

To me, giving up my current lifestyle to go on what amounts to a 4-5 month series of 3-4 day section hikes doesn't offer enough incentive to even consider it.

The AT is a great trail but it is, in a way, "hiking with training wheels".

trailangelbronco
05-04-2011, 14:14
LOL, 10K. Yeah, whre else is there shelters every 7 miles and roadcrossings with people passing out food everywhere?

The AT has, well, um, changed a bit since the 80's. Not so sure that when I retire, I may hike the PCT instead of going back to the AT.

max patch
05-04-2011, 14:21
If you were to ask:

My wife and I have 6 kids all under the age of ten. She is currently 6 months pregnant with twins. My wife is unemployed because of medical issues. I make $40,000 a year, we live paycheck to paycheck, and have no savings. The economy is really horrible where we live; and my emplorer has a no re-hire policy for those who leave the company. If I quit we will lose our health insurance. I really really really want to thru hike the appacachian trail. Its my dream!!

Most people on this site would say to go ahead and hike. Worry about the job when you're done. Have fun!!!

Truth of the matter is that if you make $40,000 now and because of family obligations you will need to find a job that pays $40,000 within a short period of time when you return you can't go hiking in the current economy. It would irresponsible to do so.

The_Truth
05-04-2011, 14:23
Nope, the questions are: did you, at least, feel some loss in the deaths of your family members while you were off fulfilling your dreams or were you able to rationalize away even that? You did mention humanity.

With all due respect, those questions come after my initial question.

If my dreams were to establish a family and contribute as much to my community then I would not have traveled abroad. Therefore your questions would have never occurred.

One must first ask the basic question, what are my dreams? Only after dealing with that question can further questions be explored.

For example, if the OP answers the question by saying accumulating as much wealth as possible is his goal then the next question is easy: does taking six months to hike the AT help you achieve that goal?

My goal is to experience the depth and breadth of the world as much as possible. Therefore, whether to quit a job or not is easily answered by asking, "does quitting help me to experience more of the world?" Twice I have asked that question and twice the answer was easy.

Being away from home when my sister died was a side effect of that decision. At that point my goal changed. So the questions changed. Now I wanted to be there for my family. So the question whether or not to leave China was easy to answer.

Years later the process repeated. Things stabalized in my family so my goals changed. I asked the question again. I traveled again. Sadly my father died while in Korea. I reevaluated. Asked the question again. The answer was easy. Now I've been back in the states for a year and my mom has adjusted and a support network is in place.

Today I feel comfortable reexamining my goals and reasking the question, 'what are my dreams?'

You see it all hinges on that one question.

4shot
05-04-2011, 15:03
If you were to ask:...
Most people on this site would say to go ahead and hike. Worry about the job when you're done. Have fun!!!

I disagree with this statement. based on the responses to this thread and after reviewing it in light of your comment, I don't see one response telling him to just "go for it" whatever the consequences, even from the people who have indicated that they have thru-hiked. The section hikers have explained why they choose to section hike. everyone feels good about their decision but nobody has really told the OP what to do that I can see.In the worst case, some responders to the thread have constructed their responses in a way that perhaps portrays their personal decision as being the one that is the "one correct answer" for all.Maybe I'm missing something here.

carpattack
05-04-2011, 15:27
So I guess I can fill in some blanks about why I was considering doing it next year. First off my wife and I are both 32 and want to start a family in the near future. I am a manager for Starbucks and make decent money while my wife is a pre-school teacher and doesn't make the greatest amount. The plan is to cash in stock to cover the bills and expenses while I hike. My job does offer a 1 year sabbatical after 10 years of service but I have 5 years before that would happen and by that time we would surely have a kid or two. I have not asked about a leave of absence yet though the company policy is only 1 month every 3 years. They might make an exception but I kinda doubt it.

I enjoy my job, but with management there comes the headache of taking care of a lot of things that at the end of the day don't really mean anything. Hiking and backpacking has always been my escape to find that balance and clean the slate. If I could come back to my job that would be great, but if I had to find something new, I would be alright with that too. Guess I am just at a weird crossroads right now.

I do appreciate all the comments and feedback though. Keep it coming!

sbhikes
05-04-2011, 15:55
Since you work for a large chain, would it be possible for you to return to Starbucks after you quit, perhaps returning to the company but working at a different store? If not, is it possible to transfer your skills to another similar company? Well, I suppose it's always possible, so perhaps the better word is how likely would it be?

Do you think you could find satisfaction with a one-month hike for now? There is a risk you could not make it past the first couple of weeks. You may injure yourself or have to leave the trail for some reason. My boyfriend attempted a 700 mile hike of the PCT last year and had to leave after 170 miles because he sprained his ankle. So to quit your job when you aren't certain it's the right thing to do risks that you quit for a 6 month trip that ends up only lasting a few weeks. If things are a little shaky financially, it might be better to just take the maximum you can get without quitting your job.

Rocket Jones
05-04-2011, 20:24
So I guess I can fill in some blanks about why I was considering doing it next year. First off my wife and I are both 32 and want to start a family in the near future. I am a manager for Starbucks and make decent money while my wife is a pre-school teacher and doesn't make the greatest amount. The plan is to cash in stock to cover the bills and expenses while I hike. My job does offer a 1 year sabbatical after 10 years of service but I have 5 years before that would happen and by that time we would surely have a kid or two. I have not asked about a leave of absence yet though the company policy is only 1 month every 3 years. They might make an exception but I kinda doubt it.

I enjoy my job, but with management there comes the headache of taking care of a lot of things that at the end of the day don't really mean anything. Hiking and backpacking has always been my escape to find that balance and clean the slate. If I could come back to my job that would be great, but if I had to find something new, I would be alright with that too. Guess I am just at a weird crossroads right now.

I do appreciate all the comments and feedback though. Keep it coming!

All right, let's get creative. Can you pitch the idea about your store, or the local stores, tracking "their" manager hiking the AT? Free coffee singles for your trip? You send back trail journals and photos of you enjoying SBUX on the trail? I can see where some marketing tie-in exists to maybe let you do this and still have your job, or an equivalent one, when you get back.

Couldn't hurt to develope some ideas and pitch them.

stranger
05-04-2011, 23:07

It really comes down to priorities, or values...what is important to you?

For me, I take my chances, because in my experience, most people who put things off never get there, ever...

Yes hiking comes with consequences, all hard decisions do, but without risk comes no reward. At the end of the day you will do what's important to you, there is no easy answer or decision, if you don't quit...you won't get to hike, if you do hike, you might not be able to find a job...but you also might find one easily!

I left the US years ago on a whim, just wanted to try something different, I was incredibly nervous and afraid, cold feet wasn't even close, I was petrified...but I still did it. Fast forward 10 years and you couldn't pay me to return to the US, I earn double what I made in the US, I have 6 weeks paid leave every year, I get extended leave of absences from work, my life has changed so much...but none of that would have ever happened if I didn't make that hard decision to leave, with no job, $2000 to my name and no work permit.

And sure, it 'could' have gone the other way, but guess what...it 'didn't'

Live now, within reason, putting something off 12 months isn't the end of the world, but putting something off years is a mistake in my view.

Remember...call it what you want, but fear is the reason why this is a hard decision, and only fear...it's not easy, it never is. But being conservative is not always smart, it can cost you dearly in terms of motivation, health and time.

Time you never get back.

jesse
05-05-2011, 00:12
Wife is 32. How many kids do you plan on having, and how spread out do you want them to be. Women can have children after 40, but the younger, the better.

How long you been married? Did the wife know about the 6 month outta work vacation before? If not, don't be surprised if she is not supportive.

IMO, Just before starting a family is the time to be adding to savings, not depleting savings.

4shot
05-05-2011, 08:14
IMO, Just before starting a family is the time to be adding to savings, not depleting savings.

it's now or wait 20+ years. Stranger boiled it down beautifully - you want to hike but you fear the consequences (which could be either good or bad). You've heard from people on either side of the fence so to speak.We all agree it is a tough call and one each has to make for him or herself. Good luck and please post back on what you decide to do.

Trailbender
05-05-2011, 10:04
If I had a wife and kids, I wouldn't quit a job. But if you are single, it would be a lot easier. I am single by choice because of this. I get to do what I want, pretty much whenever I want, and I am the only one who has to suffer the consequences if it goes wrong. If I had a family, it would be completely different.

daddytwosticks
05-05-2011, 15:56
+1 Trailbender. :)

Datto
05-05-2011, 20:23
By far, you should worry most about what your wife thinks. The job situation isn't your worry -- you can always find another job someplace. How often can you find another wife?

Datto

tf bear
05-05-2011, 20:39
I was called into a conference room with 20 co workers and told by the hatchet that they were closing our office and our services would no longer be needed in a week. My career was ended. We were given a package to last about 8 weeks. The first thing I thought about was I am going out on the trail. I felt liberated! Now I can go, nothing to hold me back. Three days later they called me back in and told me they have a position but it is an hour and a half away. I have been depressed ever since. Now I have an hour and a half twice a day to think about the trail. PLEASE GO DON'T LOOK BACK.

hikerboy57
05-05-2011, 20:56
By far, you should worry most about what your wife thinks. The job situation isn't your worry -- you can always find another job someplace. How often can you find another wife?

Datto
I think this is the best advice so far(Im divorced). 4-5 months on the trail will need a spouse who is behind you all the way.
Every situation is different. I know that as much as Ive had a thru on my bucket list since I first stepped on the AT in '76, 4-5 months off from work is a bit too much for me financially, so i asked my boss for 3 months, with the understanding if Im feeling good and Im far enough North, I may tell him I need to finish it, but some 1000+ miles to me is a pretty hefty acheivement in its own right, and seeing that Ive never been out for more than 3 weeks at a time. I believe I will be satisfied.Ive section hiked most of the Trail from PA/NJ north., so you need to ask yourself what exactly are you looking to achieve.You may find a month on the trail is all you need. For me its always been the journey itself, not the destination.

Lemni Skate
05-05-2011, 21:12
Two perfect times to thru-hike: After college before you get married and right after you retire.

Now you've got some sacrifices to make in order to do this. People tell you that there is always going to be time. Not necessarily. Once you have kids the thru-hike is out if your as addicted to your kids as I am (at least until their old enough to do it with you). In 20 years at 52 you don't know what your health will be like or your finances will be like (or even if you'll be here).

If this is a priority you need to do it while you're sure you have the chance, but you also need to be aware of the sacrifices your wife is making to allow you to do this. Always remember for the rest of your life that she let you have your dream and then make sure she gets hers.

4shot
05-05-2011, 22:43
. Always remember for the rest of your life that she let you have your dream and then make sure she gets hers.

she'll remind you!;) actually i never would have stepped foot on the trail without the 100% support of my wife. If she wouldn't have been for it I wouldn't have gone. We're actually going to do a 4 day, 3 night trip in a few weeks on the trail - she's excited to go since she's heard so many stories and have met some of my thru-hiking buddies. Gonna go back thru my journal and guide to pick the hike.so many great places.

Bearpaw
05-05-2011, 22:48
If you hate your job, walk. Literally.

If you like it, stick with until things shape up in the country.

This is from someone who thru-hiked when the economy was good, and lost his rear end trying to teach outdoor skills when the economy was sliding downhill fast.

Trailbender
05-05-2011, 23:46
I was called into a conference room with 20 co workers and told by the hatchet that they were closing our office and our services would no longer be needed in a week. My career was ended. We were given a package to last about 8 weeks. The first thing I thought about was I am going out on the trail. I felt liberated! Now I can go, nothing to hold me back. Three days later they called me back in and told me they have a position but it is an hour and a half away. I have been depressed ever since. Now I have an hour and a half twice a day to think about the trail. PLEASE GO DON'T LOOK BACK.

Go anyways. No way I would commute that long. The max I would drive for a job is 30 mins.

4shot
05-06-2011, 08:02
Go anyways. No way I would commute that long. The max I would drive for a job is 30 mins.

was not seeking input on whether or not he should hike. Your max commute time is your guideline and may or may not apply to others. to advise him to hike rather than make a long commute is a bit presumptious without knowing anything of his family/personal situation.

JAK
05-06-2011, 08:17
There must exist some unifying theory, which will allow us to solve once and for all when and when not to leave a job to thru-hike the AT, and also when and when not to go ahead with the thru-hike when your spouse has some compelling reasons against it.

What the world needs is a nobel prize for Whiteblazers.

lutefisk
05-06-2011, 08:29
Didn't Matthewski win a Nobel?

4shot
05-06-2011, 08:57
There must exist some unifying theory, which will allow us to solve once and for all when and when not to leave a job to thru-hike the AT, and also when and when not to go ahead with the thru-hike when your spouse has some compelling reasons against it.

Einstein both looked into and said the topic was too difficult for them. Why did they have to make the trail so long to start with? If they'd have kept it to 50 miles max., there'd be a lot less stressing over the whole plethora of "should I thru hike" questions!;)

Reid
05-06-2011, 09:05
Everybody faces that dilemma at one time or another in their lives no matter the prospect it all boils down to money without passion or passion without money. Or both either way. I would access my own situation, don't limit yourself, but be very aware of your needs. Most people don't wanna hear it but get right with God.

88BlueGT
05-06-2011, 09:15
If you leave a great job to hike AND your GF/Wife doesn't want you to leave. There's a good chance that you'll regret it. I would think anyway....

Lose everything for the trail? Think not.

moshi
05-06-2011, 10:16
I quit my job (career) to hike the trail. I would not make that decision today given the state of the economy.

If you need to make the same amount of money in a reasonable period of time when your hike is over then you should keep your job and hike later.

Ask for a leave and see what they say.

This is the correct answer.

stars in her eyes
05-06-2011, 10:56

Yeah, it doesn't work that way. Whenever I come back from even just an overnight I experience horrible longing and withdrawal for the "ol' piney woods."

Count me among those who will leave the comfortable prison of employment for the rain, snow, blisters, and cold on the Appalachian Trail come March. :sun

To the OP: Don't worry about finding a job when you get back -- worry about having a WIFE. It sounds like she needs convincing or reassuring for what you want to tackle.

SD2AT
05-06-2011, 12:32
I just quit my job/career, but was uninspired by it. THEN I made the decision to hike the AT since I had the time. However, my situation is unique in that I have almost no expenses or responsibilities...I doubt you would regret it. I already know I've made the right decision and I haven't even started my through-hike yet.

SOBO 2011....leaving June 21st

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

sbhikes
05-07-2011, 21:18
Congratulations SD2AT!

It's funny but when I quit my job in 2008 everybody told me Congratulations before I even told them why.

I read somewhere yesterday that there is no city in the entire US where a full-time job at minimum wage can afford a 1 bedroom apartment. I read this morning where a family had their health insurance rates increased 40% in one day. They pay $24,000 a year for health insurance if you count the deductible and co-pays. Everywhere you turn, it gets harder and harder to hang on. Some people respond by being grateful for whatever job they have and holding on to it even tighter. Others say *** this ain't worth it and they hit the trail. No right answer there, but you can guess what my response would be.

Now I'm looking for a good job so I can buy some land for my off-grid homestead. Close the PCT, of course.

BradMT
05-07-2011, 21:57

"You're young, you've got your health, what do you want with a job?"

Raising Arizona - 1987

weary
05-07-2011, 22:34
I wouldn't ever let a job get in the way of my dreams. ....Datto
Just make sure your dream is realistic. A lot of people dream about the AT. A lot of people give up that dream once they experience the reality of the trail.

As adults, our first responsibility is to care for our kids, and family, present and future, responsibly.

If the AT is only a dream, I would talk to a lot of people who once had a similar dream, and ask them why they quit. And don't make it a casual conversation. Ask tough questions, and dig beyond the standard excuses.

Toolshed
05-07-2011, 22:41
Just make sure your dream is realistic. A lot of people dream about the AT. A lot of people give up that dream once they experience the reality of the trail.

Hell, Everytime I hike the AT, I find myself dreaming about a soft bed, A/C, Hot coffee and cold bear and relaxin behind my desk with my 28" computer screen.
But then again, I always wanted to be somewhere else other than where I am at the moment...

weary
05-07-2011, 22:59

Henry Thoreau is my favorite author. But one needs more than that quote before one takes his advice about life. I just returned from a Dave Mallett concert, in which he recited David Thoreau's account of his experiences climbing Katahdin, while strumming his guitar. Thoreau gave up the idea of family and kids, to experiment with earning a living while following his dreams.

Thoreau's accounts of his experiments make Walden one of the great books puhlished in the 19th century.

However, as adults our first responsibility is to care for our families. That's why I didn't attempt a thru hike until I retired. Not that I didn't sacrifice a lot of luxuries to live dreams. But I made sure my wife and kids had the basics, good food, and adequate shelter and clothing. It helped that I managed to earn my living in a job I found to be both useful and enjoyable.

weary
05-07-2011, 23:17
Hell, Everytime I hike the AT, I find myself dreaming about a soft bed, A/C, Hot coffee and cold bear and relaxin behind my desk with my 28" computer screen.
But then again, I always wanted to be somewhere else other than where I am at the moment...
So? What are you trying to tell us? It's my opinion that people with family responsibilities should not not give up a good job in this economic climate without first knowing as much as possible about their trail dream. Remember only 20 percent of those that start the trail, claim to finish it. And a great many of those that make the claim don't in fact finish.

stranger
05-08-2011, 03:54
I think alot of what is being discussed in strongly linked to the fact that most of you live in the United States...get out of the states and alot of these problem disappear.

In Australia every single person gets 4-6 weeks paid vacation per year, mandatory 9% employer contribution into retirement, very inexpensive national medicare insurance, 5 months of summer in most places, and the average wage is stiting around $20/hour, with the dollar being worth more than the US dollar.

People aren't worried about losing or finding jobs here...think outside the box, there are always options.

Then again, there is always Walmart.

Datto
05-08-2011, 06:04
You always have the choice to do nothing about your dreams.

Suggestion -- do four multi-day hikes in your geographic area prior to making your final decision about thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Details:

Don't make your final decision about thru-hiking the AT until this coming October. In the meantime, plan to hike (meaning, carry your full backpack with food and water) the southernmost 50 miles of the Knobstone Trail in the next month beginning at Deam Lake State Park and finishing at Delaney Park 50 miles north -- it's not very far from where you currently live and the KT will give you a very good glimpse of what the terrain will be like on the AT in Georgia. Note that you may need to pre-spot water along the trail for your KT hike and you can assume you'll be hiking an average of 10 miles per day or less. It may take a good part of a week to hike the KT.

Then, assuming that goes well on the KT, plan to hike (with your full backpack) three other multi-day nearby trails (Zaleski State Forest Backpack Trail for instance which is in your neighborhood in the other direction) over the course of the summer.

By October, you should have your answer. If backpacking is still looking like fun then you're ready to make a decision. If backpacking is looking more like work, expense and a slog then you're ready to make a decision.

Datto

4shot
05-08-2011, 09:35
If the AT is only a dream, I would talk to a lot of people who once had a similar dream, and ask them why they quit. And don't make it a casual conversation. Ask tough questions, and dig beyond the standard excuses.

to ask of him because I tried that when researching my thru because I wanted to know why the completion rate was low given that so many people who have "the dream" give up on it. i met and talked to several people who completed their hike (which are easy tio find/locate and most are willing to help out with advice) but could not find anyone who said they started a thru but quit. so after my thru, the reasons that people quit are (imo) as follows.

1) poor preparation/planning (i.e. running out of cash)
2) lack of discipline (i.e. ran out of cash because they couldn't stay on their budget)
3) injury or illness forces them off the trail and during the recovery they lose desire to finish or ability to finish due to time constraints (i.e. long recovery period)
4) family emergency or event back home
5) the mental aspect of a 5-6 month hike is too difficult after the initial euphoria wears off (usually referred to as "I wasn't having fun anymore" or it "wasn't what I hoped it would be" or "I'm gonna hitch to Trail days or Bonnaroo or...etc and hangout for awhile). this category usually gets the more creative and artistic explanations. One doesn't have to elaborate much when saying "I'm going home because I broke my ankle". In retrospect, there really is no way to prepare for this part as it has to be experienced for oneself.Hearing about it or reading about it does not do it justice. This category may actually be a subset of 2 above (lack of discipline)

as best as I can recall, the above list is comprehensive.

4shot
05-08-2011, 09:50
Remember only 20 percent of those that start the trail, claim to finish it. And a great many of those that make the claim don't in fact finish.

the data is probably about right. Those who claim to have finished but didn't may be offset by those who finished but didn't care enough to claim (or report to the ACT) that they did. Just a theory.

weary
05-08-2011, 10:03
You always have the choice to do nothing about your dreams.

Suggestion -- do four multi-day hikes in your geographic area prior to making your final decision about thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Details:

Don't make your final decision about thru-hiking the AT until this coming October. In the meantime, plan to hike (meaning, carry your full backpack with food and water) the southernmost 50 miles of the Knobstone Trail in the next month beginning at Deam Lake State Park and finishing at Delaney Park 50 miles north -- it's not very far from where you currently live and the KT will give you a very good glimpse of what the terrain will be like on the AT in Georgia. Note that you may need to pre-spot water along the trail for your KT hike and you can assume you'll be hiking an average of 10 miles per day or less. It may take a good part of a week to hike the KT.

Then, assuming that goes well on the KT, plan to hike (with your full backpack) three other multi-day nearby trails (Zaleski State Forest Backpack Trail for instance which is in your neighborhood in the other direction) over the course of the summer.

By October, you should have your answer. If backpacking is still looking like fun then you're ready to make a decision. If backpacking is looking more like work, expense and a slog then you're ready to make a decision.

Datto
Great advice. I would add only, go on the planned days, regardless of predicted weather conditions, short of deadly tornadoes and hurricanes. And hike everyday, regardless of rain.

sbhikes
05-08-2011, 10:06

I thought I would go and look up the original post. He had no children so he does not have a family to support and therefore is relatively responsibility-free. He has a wife but wives aren't dependents. There's a worry that it will be hard to find a job after the hike and that's about it.

So, here's my experience. After finishing the trail in 2009 it was somewhat hard to get a decent job. All I really did was look casually and I didn't like what I saw. Jobs with no pay (sorry, equity in your start-up isn't pay), "internships" (sorry, the qualifications you require are not intern-level), "will look great on your resume" (that's obviously not pay) etc. I didn't job hunt any harder than that.

I had enough money saved that I could be out of work for several years so I didn't feel a lot of pressure. I found a volunteer job right away so that I could stay active and out meeting people. I found a part-time job in my field and decided to take it while I kept looking and use the extra time to take some courses at the community college. I ended up doing that for over a year.

Recently the jobs being advertised have seemed to improve. At least they are offering salaries and don't appear to be scams. I've been sending out resumes and have had 2 interviews and I have another interview tomorrow.

So it has been a little difficult, then when I got the part-time job I stopped looking for a while since it was paying the bills, and now that I'm out looking for real again, it doesn't seem any worse than it used to be, but the jobs are paying less than they did.

I wish I lived in Australia! It is true we have it pretty bad here in the States. When I trekked in Nepal sometimes the first thing people would ask was, "Is it true Americans only get 2 weeks vacation?" They couldn't get over that one. They were pretty shocked. I wish in the US instead of trying to take away benefits from other groups that have more than most of us we'd work on trying to get better benefits for everyone. But since Americans are meaner than they are smart, I'm just going to save up for my off-grid homestead and let you youngfolk take over.

4shot
05-08-2011, 10:23
I wish I lived in Australia! .

"should I quit my job, thruhike the AT, then move to Australia"?;)

stranger
05-08-2011, 20:11
There are alot of countries out there, you only live once

Sierra Echo
05-08-2011, 20:27
I get more then 2 weeks vacation.

weary
05-08-2011, 20:28
I've lived my life in this country -- mostly Maine. I don't regret it. I sometimes think my town, maybe even Maine, might be a bit better because of my having lived here.

But regardless, I'm not jealous of Australia, though I can certainly recognize the value of strong labor unions, and long vacation breaks.

Twenty of the last 25 years of my last before retirement job, was really a continuous vacation, in that I enjoyed what I was doing, day after day. I even "worked" most of my 4 week vacations. At least I can't remember any after which I didn't return with a story I wanted published, and which the management didn't refuse to publish.

I did have minor quarrels with the Union, which wondered why I had pushed for longer vacations, but then insisted on working during part of most of them. But my greater quarrel was with management, which couldn't see the changes that were coming as a monopoly (the newspaper) suddenly had to compete with the internet and it's multiple competitors -- many, like me, who worked without pay, or for minimal pay.

Bearpaw
05-08-2011, 22:46
I get more then 2 weeks vacation.

I get 13! 9 weeks in a row start in 2 1/2 weeks!

I don't need to give up my job to do some serious hiking. :banana

Wide I'ed
05-09-2011, 00:14
I am leaving my job and gf in early June to start my SOBO thru-hike..I have no clue what the outcome will be, all I know is that in my heart I have no doubts that I want to do this. Granted, I do not own a home, a car, or a large amount of debt.

If you have a valuable skill set, you will find work when you're done even if it is less pay. I'd much rather grow old with a little less money than go on through life with the regret of not living to the fullest. Unfortunately for us few people actually feel that way.

Good luck on the trail!

10-K
05-09-2011, 08:01
If you have a valuable skill set, you will find work when you're done even if it is less pay. I'd much rather grow old with a little less money than go on through life with the regret of not living to the fullest. Unfortunately for us few people actually feel that way.

It's a crap shoot.

I sold my soul to a company I started in 1992, worked 100 hour weeks, slept on the office floor more times than I can count, and almost got divorced.

If you knew how many people told me I was screwing up my life you wouldn't believe it.

Then, like magic, it all came together and paid off in aces.

Now I'm 49, semi-retired, and I can hike with abandon (when my wife lets me).

And almost without exception the people who told me I was crazy are still working 40 hour weeks and are essentially running in place with their regular old checks and 2-3 weeks of vacation.

So.... you just never know.

4shot
05-09-2011, 09:43
It's a crap shoot.

I sold my soul to a company I started in 1992, And almost without exception the people who told me I was crazy are still working 40 hour weeks and are essentially running in place with their regular old checks and 2-3 weeks of vacation.

So.... you just never know.

the difference being that you were running a company that you founded, built with your blood, sweat and tears obviously, and it was your vision and you who had the freedom, authority, etc. and had risked the capital required to start it up.That takes risk, faith and hard work and you have made it pay off.

The "others" that you speak of are working for other people, not taking the risks that you took and not putting in the emotional investment that you obviously did in your company. They have traded risk for "security" of a regular paycheck with written procedures, policies, set hours, etc.They think they have avoided the crap shoot but in today's economic climate there really is no safe haven. Let me be quick to add this disclaimer ala Senfield and gang: not that there is anything wrong with that.

I know that you are somewhat disdainful of the thru-hike experience as expressed in your posts earlier but the common theme is that there is great joy and risk in "selling one's soul" (as you put it) to one's passion, whether it be starting a business or thruhiking the AT. The thought of "running in place" is what scares many of us and leads to business startups, hiking 2100 plus miles, moving to Australia, etc.

10-K
05-09-2011, 15:04
the difference being that you were running a company that you founded, built with your blood, sweat and tears obviously, and it was your vision and you who had the freedom, authority, etc. and had risked the capital required to start it up.That takes risk, faith and hard work and you have made it pay off.
I know that you are somewhat disdainful of the thru-hike experience as expressed in your posts earlier but the common theme is that there is great joy and risk in "selling one's soul" (as you put it) to one's passion, whether it be starting a business or thruhiking the AT. The thought of "running in place" is what scares many of us and leads to business startups, hiking 2100 plus miles, moving to Australia, etc.

I'm pretty much agreement with you with just a few points of clarification....

First, I didn't mean to give the impression that I "have arrived" and fly above people who work more traditional jobs. We're all just a phone call away from having our lives turned upside down and inside out. My business could fail and the people who still have their jobs could have the last laugh.

And, it takes all kinds - if the people who work at my company all decided to go start their own businesses I would be in a real bind.

Secondly, I don't have any disdain for thru hikers/ing. I like to think my posts provide some balance to the "Damn the torpedoes, follow your dreams." point of view. If I were on a board where people were actively discouraged from thru hiking I like to think I would offer reasons why it could be an awesome thing to do.

Now, do I think thru hiking is overrated? Yes, I do when it's contrasted against everything life has to offer. You walk for 4-6 months (or more likely, start but don't finish). It's over before you know it and you're right back where you were before you started - and if you follow some of the advice on this forum not only are you back where you started but you're also jobless and homeless.....

weary
05-09-2011, 16:23
I'm pretty much agreement with you with just a few points of clarification....

First, I didn't mean to give the impression that I "have arrived" and fly above people who work more traditional jobs. We're all just a phone call away from having our lives turned upside down and inside out. My business could fail and the people who still have their jobs could have the last laugh.

And, it takes all kinds - if the people who work at my company all decided to go start their own businesses I would be in a real bind.

Secondly, I don't have any disdain for thru hikers/ing. I like to think my posts provide some balance to the "Damn the torpedoes, follow your dreams." point of view. If I were on a board where people were actively discouraged from thru hiking I like to think I would offer reasons why it could be an awesome thing to do.

Now, do I think thru hiking is overrated? Yes, I do when it's contrasted against everything life has to offer. You walk for 4-6 months (or more likely, start but don't finish). It's over before you know it and you're right back where you were before you started - and if you follow some of the advice on this forum not only are you back where you started but you're also jobless and homeless.....
Which is why many thru hikers are folks in transition. Just out of school, between jobs, or just retired.

I chose the latter. I found my six months to be a lot of fun, educational, and healthy exercise. I went back to maintaining my trail section, and to my wife, home, and adult kids. I also took on new volunteer responsibilities, serving for six years as overseer of 60 miles of the so called "100-mile-wilderness, helping form a new Appalachian Trail land trust, and working as a volunteer with our local town land trust.

Regrets? Well, I've lived a good life. But from time to time, I wish I had paid more attention to earning money, especially as inflation begins again in earnest, and my somewhat meager pension buys less and less.

10-K
05-09-2011, 16:28
Regrets? Well, I've lived a good life. But from time to time, I wish I had paid more attention to earning money, especially as inflation begins again in earnest, and my somewhat meager pension buys less and less.

That's a good point... You can't eat a thru hike.. :)

Sierra Echo
05-09-2011, 17:03
I get 13! 9 weeks in a row start in 2 1/2 weeks!

I don't need to give up my job to do some serious hiking. :banana

How did you get so lucky?!

Bearpaw
05-09-2011, 17:28
How did you get so lucky?!

I teach kids most teachers are afraid of. :sun

Good hiking time AND job security.

Sierra Echo
05-09-2011, 17:37
I teach kids most teachers are afraid of. :sun

Good hiking time AND job security.

I didn't know you were a teacher! You do have a better schedule then me! :p

sbhikes
05-09-2011, 22:27
I did my two hikes in between jobs and with a loved one at home. Maybe the OP is between jobs or wants to be. I don't think there's anything wrong with going out there to try and figure things out.

I really wanted to figure things out on the trail, but the actual figuring out didn't happen until afterward. I wanted to figure out if I hated my career or just my employer. At the time I thought it was my career. So I took a lot of time away -- almost two years. When I was back home, not yet back in the job market, and I eventually found myself doing the work I did in my career for fun. I had my answer. The trail gave me distance enough to find some kind of answer. How else can you take off 6 months or more to think things over unless you do something like travel? What would you think of someone who just quit and then sat home for 6 months? A hike is a good excuse and it's a great thing to do, too.

The problem I have with advice to be cautious and responsible is that I don't really believe there is a wrong way to do life. I read obituaries in the paper. The long obituaries are always about people who didn't do things the right way. The really successful ones make a lot of mistakes, have big adventures and end their lives with a great story to tell. The ones who were responsible and did all the right things get one-liners in the obits. From reading obituaries, I have learned there are a lot of ways to live your life and there's really not a right way.

P.S. I might be getting a job with not just benefits but a UNION!

Nean
05-09-2011, 23:03
Work to live- not live to work.:eek:
I just quit 2 jobs to go hiking.:p
I have faith in my ability to always find work.;) This has worked almost every year for over 20 years.:-?
Follow your dreams today if at all possible- tomorrow - if you get one, might not have that option.:)

4shot
05-09-2011, 23:10

you're still right back where you started as well. Besides, a thru-hiker may be jobless but will never be homeless as long as he/she has their gear!;)

stranger
05-09-2011, 23:12
I've lived my life in this country -- mostly Maine. I don't regret it. I sometimes think my town, maybe even Maine, might be a bit better because of my having lived here.

But regardless, I'm not jealous of Australia, though I can certainly recognize the value of strong labor unions, and long vacation breaks.

Twenty of the last 25 years of my last before retirement job, was really a continuous vacation, in that I enjoyed what I was doing, day after day. I even "worked" most of my 4 week vacations. At least I can't remember any after which I didn't return with a story I wanted published, and which the management didn't refuse to publish.

I did have minor quarrels with the Union, which wondered why I had pushed for longer vacations, but then insisted on working during part of most of them. But my greater quarrel was with management, which couldn't see the changes that were coming as a monopoly (the newspaper) suddenly had to compete with the internet and it's multiple competitors -- many, like me, who worked without pay, or for minimal pay.

Hey it's all good, I'm just trying to show some comparison's internationallly and certainly not promoting Australia per say, just giving another example of what is possible. After all the world is a big place.

At one time in my life, I never would have considered leaving America...now I could never even consider returning, I would lose half my income, 3/4 of my vacation, work longer, earn less, have more bills, have less medical coverage, less freedoms...this fact does sadden me, but it's also reality and I accept it.

The ability to compare, to experience another existence, in my case two other existences (New Zealand and Australia)...has meant all the difference in my life.

But it's not for everyone...most people don't take action, most people adapt and accept, whether or not this is good or bad is up to you...it's your life : )

Datto
05-09-2011, 23:19
I sold my soul to a company I started in 1992, worked 100 hour weeks, slept on the office floor more times than I can count, and almost got divorced.

If you knew how many people told me I was screwing up my life you wouldn't believe it.

Then, like magic, it all came together and paid off in aces.

We're all just a phone call away from having our lives turned upside down and inside out. My business could fail and the people who still have their jobs could have the last laugh.

I've found the movie Black Swan relates tangentially to this idea as well as relating to the freedom gained from a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail.

Datto

10-K
05-10-2011, 07:40
I've found the movie Black Swan relates tangentially to this idea as well as relating to the freedom gained from a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail.

Datto

............. Ok then. :)

10-K
05-10-2011, 08:06
you're still right back where you started as well. Besides, a thru-hiker may be jobless but will never be homeless as long as he/she has their gear!;)

Ok, I surrender. :)

The only person I'm really an expert on is myself and sometimes I wonder about that.

sbhikes
05-10-2011, 08:55
a thru-hiker may be jobless but will never be homeless as long as he/she has their gear!;)

The day I realized that one was a very liberating day indeed! Just need enough money for food and shoes and a warm trail for winter.

10-K
05-10-2011, 10:16
The day I realized that one was a very liberating day indeed! Just need enough money for food and shoes and a warm trail for winter.

See, that's good for you - but I wouldn't want to live like that.

I feel much more liberated with money in the bank, a home, some investments, etc.

Yes, it takes up space in my brain and requires management but it's an excellent launch pad for doing pretty much anything I want to do, whenever I want to do it.

Freedom/liberation isn't in not actually having stuff, the freedom is in realizing that I'd be fine without it. And I do know that.

Do you see what I mean?

ScottP
05-10-2011, 10:53
Lots of good thoughts in this thread. Here's my two cents.

Right now the average job search is 14 months. There's 20 qualified job seekers for the average job (according to NPR a few weeks ago). Obviously the above is very field dependent, but still interesting.

Do you have enough savings to hike the AT, and spend 2 years (on the outside) searching for a job? How much is that financial commitment going to delay your retirement? Perhaps hiking now and forgoing 2 years of work (and the interest that money could make/lost income from starting back at a new, possibly worse job) would delay your retirement by 6-8 years. That's a lot of thru-hikes if you still have your health then.

Do you enjoy your current job? Will you enjoy the job you might be forced to take post-hike less?

Do you want to stay in your marriage? How much stress is the hike going to put on it, and how much stress would being unemployed for 1-2 years after your hike with an 'I told you so' every day from the wife put on your marriage?

Nean
05-10-2011, 11:53
Lots of good thoughts in this thread. Here's my two cents.

Right now the average job search is 14 months. There's 20 qualified job seekers for the average job (according to NPR a few weeks ago). Obviously the above is very field dependent, but still interesting.

Do you have enough savings to hike the AT, and spend 2 years (on the outside) searching for a job? How much is that financial commitment going to delay your retirement? Perhaps hiking now and forgoing 2 years of work (and the interest that money could make/lost income from starting back at a new, possibly worse job) would delay your retirement by 6-8 years. That's a lot of thru-hikes if you still have your health then.

Do you enjoy your current job? Will you enjoy the job you might be forced to take post-hike less?

Do you want to stay in your marriage? How much stress is the hike going to put on it, and how much stress would being unemployed for 1-2 years after your hike with an 'I told you so' every day from the wife put on your marriage?

So you see- you can always find reasons not to thru.:eek:
Fear keeps many off the trail. Better safe than sorry.:-?
Banking on a tomorrow that may never come is one way to live. I prefer adventure both in life and on the trail.:)
I'll never be rich in terms of money but I've traveled all over the world, worked in some beautiful places and have friends I would have never met otherwise.;)

Datto
05-10-2011, 14:33
after your hike with an 'I told you so' every day from the wife

"Honey? Do these pants make me look risk-averse?"

Datto

10-K
05-10-2011, 16:41
I don't know what it is about this thread that keeps drawing me in......

How much is that financial commitment going to delay your retirement? Perhaps hiking now and forgoing 2 years of work (and the interest that money could make/lost income from starting back at a new, possibly worse job) would delay your retirement by 6-8 years. That's a lot of thru-hikes if you still have your health then.

I have to keep reminding myself that I'm on a hiking forum, not a financial forum. I frequent some other forums where investing is discussed and funding retirement comes up about as often there as what kind of sleeping bag is best comes up here. (http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/ )

Your quote above is probably the most salient point of this entire thread.

I'm all about "living for today" but part of living for today is planning for tomorrow. Yes, I could go under a bus tomorrow. But, statistically I'm going to live until I'm well into my 70's. And I don't want to do work for stay at a hostel and live in a bunkhouse when I get old.

max patch
05-10-2011, 16:52
index or managed?

10-K
05-10-2011, 16:53
index or managed?

Mostly indexed - 2 managed. :)

Vanguard all the way.

Nean
05-10-2011, 17:35
I've met so many people who spent most of their lives racing the rats and keeping up with the Jones' and by the time they have caught up- they're to old to enjoy or even do. Sure, their house is bigger than a- oh , I dont know.... bunkhouse, even gotta pool- drive a new SUV- stay at the finest hotels and yet... they envy me.:-?

I suppose you can twist living your dreams into being a begger w/o a pot to piss in -but if you live within your means and have faith in your abilities you will have all the money you need and live life on your terms. I've been doing it for decades...;)

Im a single guy though. If I had a family to think about I couldn't do what I do. As it is I live in a beautiful place in a nice home and make all the money I need in 6 months (read today) to do what I want for 6 months (read tomorrow). I don't consider living to 70 or getting run over by the proverbial bus tomorrow. To each his own- but fear of not getting another/same job is a weak reason not to go, IMHO.:)

Chomp09
05-10-2011, 17:35
While I can completely understand this train of thinking as it took quite some time for me to make the leap, I find it interesting that so many of the "wait until you retire" crowd apply the word 'if.' If you make it to retirement. If you still have your health. If you can afford to go then. If your priorities haven't changed.

I am living, breathing proof that it is possible quit your job, rent out your house to cover your expenses while you're thru-hiking and not only find employment when you return, (within a couple months) but actually apply your existing professional skills to a career that is much more exciting and a better personal fit. The last part is something that NEVER would have happened had I not left to thru-hike the AT.

So yes, there is some security with what you know today, for good and for bad. But there are times when you have to take a measured risk in life-not necessarily knowing what the future holds-to truly reap the rewards. I, for one, am so thankful for the experience and how it's now shaping my future.

Nean
05-10-2011, 17:41
While I can completely understand this train of thinking as it took quite some time for me to make the leap, I find it interesting that so many of the "wait until you retire" crowd apply the word 'if.' If you make it to retirement. If you still have your health. If you can afford to go then. If your priorities haven't changed.

I am living, breathing proof that it is possible quit your job, rent out your house to cover your expenses while you're thru-hiking and not only find employment when you return, (within a couple months) but actually apply your existing professional skills to a career that is much more exciting and a better personal fit. The last part is something that NEVER would have happened had I not left to thru-hike the AT.

So yes, there is some security with what you know today, for good and for bad. But there are times when you have to take a measured risk in life-not necessarily knowing what the future holds-to truly reap the rewards. I, for one, am so thankful for the experience and how it's now shaping my future.
Well said Chomp :)

4shot
05-10-2011, 19:02
this is repeat advice to the OP - read thru these threads carefully. Everyone (the "stayers" and the "goers") are satisfied with their decision and can "defend" their position.So it doesn't matter really what u decide - your (our) minds are wired to always believe in what we choose. It's called "ego" and rationalization is how we keep ourselves propped up so to speak. so, flip a coin - heads you hike, tails you stay. You'll be satisfied with whatever you do (or don't do). best wishes.

10-K
05-10-2011, 19:21
this is repeat advice to the OP - read thru these threads carefully. Everyone (the "stayers" and the "goers") are satisfied with their decision and can "defend" their position.So it doesn't matter really what u decide - your (our) minds are wired to always believe in what we choose. It's called "ego" and rationalization is how we keep ourselves propped up so to speak. so, flip a coin - heads you hike, tails you stay. You'll be satisfied with whatever you do (or don't do). best wishes.

For the record, I'm not a "Stayer" or a "Goer".

I sound like a "Stayer", I know. But, there are conditions where I would be all for going.

I'm not stupid - I comprehend exactly what Nean and Chomp are saying.

The funny thing is, I could go on a thru hike of the AT, PCT, or any other trail tomorrow if I wanted to so I'm pretty sure I'm on to something.

And.....I don't need to work for 6 months so I can take 6 months off. :)

10-K
05-10-2011, 19:30
I've met so many people who spent most of their lives racing the rats and keeping up with the Jones' and by the time they have caught up- they're to old to enjoy or even do. Sure, their house is bigger than a- oh , I dont know.... bunkhouse, even gotta pool- drive a new SUV- stay at the finest hotels and yet... they envy me.:-?

I suppose you can twist living your dreams into being a begger w/o a pot to piss in -but if you live within your means and have faith in your abilities you will have all the money you need and live life on your terms. I've been doing it for decades...;)

And I suppose you can twist being fiscally responsible and planning for the future into chasing rats and keeping up with the Jones'.

That's not what I'm talking about either.

carpattack
05-10-2011, 19:33
First off I want to thank everyone for all the posts...there are great view points from both sides of the coin, whether rational or dreamer. And to be honest, if all the posts leaned in just one direction it would be weird. There is definitely a lot to consider. I think the decision would be a lot easier if the economy didn't stink right now, but we will see how it looks next year. Planning on doing a week-long section this summer and making sure it is something I still want to do, and if we have all of our ducks in a row (or most of them at least) talk to my boss this fall about an extended leave or what my options would be, which would then buy me a little more time to figure out what to do.

Please keep this discussion going, not just for my benefit, but for the benefit of who ever else might be in the same boat.

sbhikes
05-10-2011, 20:21
Hmm. I think I'm suddenly unemployed. Paycheck bounced for the 4th time and I just can't see a reason to go back. Should I hike or should I look for a job (not that I haven't been looking for a few months already)?

Nean, what is it you do for 6 months that you live on for the other 6? And do you draw down your savings to close to zero at the end of your 6 months off?

Nean
05-10-2011, 20:26
I think the key words here are " if I wanted to" 10k. Not anything wrong with NOT wanting to. This guy wants to but has that fear most of us humans have of the unknown. Most people want comfort and security more than they want adventure. I have 2 bosses in Pagosa- both worth 100s of millions. They work almost everyday, stress everyday, and never seem to be happy with what they got becase what they "want" is more.... more than they will ever need. They strive to stay ahead of the race and leave them Jones' behind. Nothing wrong with that if thats what you want out of life.

I don't owe soul a penny and can afford to do as I please. My multi millionare bosses can't say that. In my mind I'm richer than they. And the only reget I might have is not doing something I wanted to do but didn't- because I was afraid.

10-K
05-10-2011, 20:32
I think the key words here are " if I wanted to" 10k. Not anything wrong with NOT wanting to. This guy wants to but has that fear most of us humans have of the unknown. Most people want comfort and security more than they want adventure. I have 2 bosses in Pagosa- both worth 100s of millions. They work almost everyday, stress everyday, and never seem to be happy with what they got becase what they "want" is more.... more than they will ever need. They strive to stay ahead of the race and leave them Jones' behind. Nothing wrong with that if thats what you want out of life.

I don't owe soul a penny and can afford to do as I please. My multi millionare bosses can't say that. In my mind I'm richer than they. And the only reget I might have is not doing something I wanted to do but didn't- because I was afraid.

Good points all around Nean.

What I'm speaking to is the wisdom of delaying gratification which is absolutely appropriate.

4shot
05-10-2011, 20:33
. I think the decision would be a lot easier if the economy didn't stink right now, but we will see how it looks next year.

when the economy is "good" people get bonuses, raises, the work environment is more relaxed so that people enjoy it more and who wants to leave that? based on what I hear, "job satisfaction" is rather low right now so in fact it may be easier to ditch it and pursue other things. After all, the common denominator in these threads are why waste your precious time doing something you don't enjoy? Bottom line, it's always a tough decision regardless of the economic cycle.

Nean
05-10-2011, 20:51
Hmm. I think I'm suddenly unemployed. Paycheck bounced for the 4th time and I just can't see a reason to go back. Should I hike or should I look for a job (not that I haven't been looking for a few months already)?

Nean, what is it you do for 6 months that you live on for the other 6? And do you draw down your savings to close to zero at the end of your 6 months off?

I work on a ranch and at the hot springs. The pay isn't that good but my secret is to live below my means. I don't blow money and my monthly bills are next to nothing. I do have a beer or three after work which =5$ per day, 2 of which is tip. I also know that I work harder and smarter than most, which means I can always get my old jobs back or keep a new one. I'm not book smart or educated. I'm determined and persistent and take pride in whatever it is I do. When I run out of money- I go back to work- thats how I know my vacation is over.

If what you want to do is hike sb- then I would.

sbhikes
05-10-2011, 21:03
Hiking wasn't my plan. Sudden unemployment wasn't my plan. I was actually in the process of looking for a job. If the one I interviewed at the other day doesn't hire me, I guess I'll keep looking, but now that I'm unemployed it'll be a lot harder. I wish I could look and hike at the same time because sitting at home worrying about getting a job isn't a good place to be. I live below my means, too. I had hoped I could save up a whopping pile, get some land and quit for good.

Nean
05-10-2011, 21:07
Good points all around Nean.

What I'm speaking to is the wisdom of delaying gratification which is absolutely appropriate.

Thank you 10-K :)

....and thats why I'm still a virgin...:o

but serious- you got a great gig you worked hard for- nothing wrong with that. I'm sure you get a great deal of satisfaction from this and can afford to do whatever it is you want- if you wanted.:-?
Me- I just feel fortunate- to be so unfortunate.;)

10-K
05-10-2011, 21:12
Thank you 10-K :)

....and thats why I'm still a virgin...:o

but serious- you got a great gig you worked hard for- nothing wrong with that. I'm sure you get a great deal of satisfaction from this and can afford to do whatever it is you want- if you wanted.:-?
Me- I just feel fortunate- to be so unfortunate.;)

I love win/win situations... :)

Best to you Nean.

Datto
05-10-2011, 21:15
What other activity could you do where others who have done it wouldn't have ever given up the time to have gone and done something else?

Datto

Nean
05-10-2011, 21:19
Hiking wasn't my plan. Sudden unemployment wasn't my plan. I was actually in the process of looking for a job. If the one I interviewed at the other day doesn't hire me, I guess I'll keep looking, but now that I'm unemployed it'll be a lot harder. I wish I could look and hike at the same time because sitting at home worrying about getting a job isn't a good place to be. I live below my means, too. I had hoped I could save up a whopping pile, get some land and quit for good.

That was my dream too! The big pile, a nice place, no more work- just enjoy whatever. Then I figured- why wait. I'll retire today!!! Still have a nice place, a small pile to do what I want, no work. Of course I will work again but truth be known I enjoy working- just not all the time. Makes me enjoy my trips that much more I think...

Nean
05-10-2011, 21:22
What other activity could you do where others who have done it wouldn't have ever given up the time to have gone and done something else?

Datto

Hey buddy:mad:

This is a family site!:eek::D

weary
05-10-2011, 22:00

All life involves betting on the odds, and making choices. But we need to recognize that people are living longer, and those of us who wait for retirement, while remaining reasonably active, have an excellent chance of being able to do long distance walks during our plus 62 and plus 65 years.

Few would have predicted when I graduated high school a month after my 17th birthday, that I would be among the two or three still active members of the class, 65 years later. It's not because of any natural ability. But it did involve remaining interested in what's happening in the world beyond earning a living. I've managed to earn a reasonable living, retire with a reasonable pension, and, most importantly, have managed to do a few things that will live after I'm finally gone, and I hope, will benefit people who enjoy the outdoors for at least a few years after I'm gone.

The key, I'm convinced, is to spend our lives working at and volunteering at doing things that we will both enjoy doing and be proud of having done during our working lives.

Datto
05-10-2011, 23:18
Hey buddy:mad:

This is a family site!:eek::D

Ha, I didn't even mention Victoria's Secret and their new line of packs.

Datto

10-K
05-11-2011, 07:04
All life involves betting on the odds, and making choices. But we need to recognize that people are living longer, and those of us who wait for retirement, while remaining reasonably active, have an excellent chance of being able to do long distance walks during our plus 62 and plus 65 years.

I'll just say this:

1. If you have to ask if you should quit your job to go hiking you probably shouldn't.

2. The question should really be: "Should I quit my job?" - everything that comes after that is superflous.

3. The more choices you have, the more freedom you have. Investing in your future is the best way to increase your options. Delaying gratification is one of the hardest things to teach a child in the world. It does not come naturally and some people never learn how to do it.

4. Hiking 2-4 weeks a year and on weekends can be as rewarding as hiking for 6 months. It's possible to have the best of both worlds.

5. This is going to sound odd, but there's a lot to be said for getting annual physicals and going to the dentist regularly. Most nomadic types I know neglect both because they can't afford it or it never crosses their mind until something hurts.

Datto
05-11-2011, 15:37
This is one of the great things about the Internet -- differing views. Not that one is right and the other is wrong but instead, just different rather than a zero sum game.

Here's my view:

1) Maximum fun. All fun, all the time. Life is way too short to accept anything else.

I was once hired and brought in to take over a small department in a company that needed that department to improve dramatically. It was costing that company considerable dough when instead, that department should have been improving productivity. In the annual all-employee survey (done by outsiders) that department had a 40% approval rating when I started work. My job was to get that improved, significantly if possible.

How'd I do it?

I told everyone we're going to have fun. I told people how we're going to have fun and then I did it. We had a blast. Twenty months later another all-employee survey was conducted (by outsiders again) and the rating for the department had zoomed to a 96% company-wide satisfaction rate -- the highest of any department in the company. People just wanna have fun.

2) The question should really be: "Is it time for another adventure?" Everything coming afterward branches from that decision.

3) "Delaying gratification is one of the hardest things to teach..." Delaying gratification?? Huh? What's that?

All seriousness aside, from my point of view that challenge is more of purposely living below your means, getting rid of fluff expenses, knowing what it is you truly want and focusing your four precious resources (time, energy, capital and love) on what precisely you want out of life.

4) "Hiking 2-4 weeks a year and on weekends can be as rewarding as hiking for 6 months." I have not found that to be true for me. The minimum is problem three months before I start experiencing maximum benefit from the effort and expense of doing an adventure. The front-end costs an the back-end costs of doing an adventure are at least 50% of the total adventure cost so I usually want the length of the adventure (in months) to be as much as possible in order to warrant the front-end/back-end costs.

5) I've said elsewhere the secret to happiness is: Have Fun, Live Fully, Peace. Once I figured this out, things improved dramatically for the better. It is true that living one of those facets to fullest can make things difficult in another facet and that is the challenge of life.

Datto

Datto
05-11-2011, 15:41
"The minimum is problem three months before"

Ha, Freudian slip?

Datto

carpattack
05-11-2011, 16:07
10-K I was going to send you a pm but your inbox is full.

10-K
05-11-2011, 16:18
10-K I was going to send you a pm but your inbox is full.

Sorry, I emptied some out - should be ok now.

10-K
05-11-2011, 16:19
Do you mind if I ask your age?

This is one of the great things about the Internet -- differing views. Not that one is right and the other is wrong but instead, just different rather than a zero sum game.

Here's my view:

1) Maximum fun. All fun, all the time. Life is way too short to accept anything else.

I was once hired and brought in to take over a small department in a company that needed that department to improve dramatically. It was costing that company considerable dough when instead, that department should have been improving productivity. In the annual all-employee survey (done by outsiders) that department had a 40% approval rating when I started work. My job was to get that improved, significantly if possible.

How'd I do it?

I told everyone we're going to have fun. I told people how we're going to have fun and then I did it. We had a blast. Twenty months later another all-employee survey was conducted (by outsiders again) and the rating for the department had zoomed to a 96% company-wide satisfaction rate -- the highest of any department in the company. People just wanna have fun.

2) The question should really be: "Is it time for another adventure?" Everything coming afterward branches from that decision.

3) "Delaying gratification is one of the hardest things to teach..." Delaying gratification?? Huh? What's that?

All seriousness aside, from my point of view that challenge is more of purposely living below your means, getting rid of fluff expenses, knowing what it is you truly want and focusing your four precious resources (time, energy, capital and love) on what precisely you want out of life.

4) "Hiking 2-4 weeks a year and on weekends can be as rewarding as hiking for 6 months." I have not found that to be true for me. The minimum is problem three months before I start experiencing maximum benefit from the effort and expense of doing an adventure. The front-end costs an the back-end costs of doing an adventure are at least 50% of the total adventure cost so I usually want the length of the adventure (in months) to be as much as possible in order to warrant the front-end/back-end costs.

5) I've said elsewhere the secret to happiness is: Have Fun, Live Fully, Peace. Once I figured this out, things improved dramatically for the better. It is true that living one of those facets to fullest can make things difficult in another facet and that is the challenge of life.

Datto

Nean
05-11-2011, 16:44
Age is relative- its all about chocies and figuring out who you are and what makes you happy.:) Datto is there.;)

I used to say the first three months I was in nature. :-?
The next three I was part of it.:banana

These days it doesn't take quite as long for several reasons but the point is- 2-4 weeks isn't a lifestyle.:o Sure you can enjoy 2-4 weeks just as much as you would as the first 2-4 weeks of a 6 month trip. :p

Nothing wrong with having a - I don't know... normal lifestyle- but 2 weeks or so is a taste...:eek:

...likewise, when you travel -as a LIFESTYLE -you only get to taste normal ;)

for me (a gemini no doubt for u stargazers) this is the best of both worlds- real and man made...civilization:rolleyes:

10-K
05-11-2011, 18:34
Age is relative- its all about chocies and figuring out who you are and what makes you happy.:) Datto is there.;)

That's a snappy quote but I think it's not true. Life is about growing up and aging is a big part of that.

Just so you don't think I'm clueless as to what you're talking about.... My oldest son lives in Asheville, is 19 and a gifted guitarist. He lives to play guitar.... He works in a kitchen in downtown Asheville making $8.00 an hour. He's happy as a clam and lives from paycheck to paycheck. Basically, as long as he can buy Taco Bell and guitar strings he feels like he's set. Of course, you expect this from an adolescent moving into adulthood.

I support and encourage him to follow his dream to make money as a musician one day completely.

Now... my own personal view is that rather than being free, he has actually limited himself and rather than being free, he is rather trapped in a world of relatively few choices compared to his more conventional peers who have a bigger picture of life.

That's similar to how I feel about what you describe as a lifestyle. Rather than being free, I see it as a trap. So what.... Being able to hike or work and save money to go hiking again... big deal. What kind of life is that?

Want freedom? Expand your options, don't narrow them.

That's how I see it anyway.

Nean
05-11-2011, 20:27
That's a snappy quote but I think it's not true. Life is about growing up and aging is a big part of that.

Just so you don't think I'm clueless as to what you're talking about....

What kind of life is that?

Want freedom? Expand your options, don't narrow them.

That's how I see it anyway.

With that example I believe you are...:o

The BEST life. ;) I....HAVE.....THE....BEST....LIFE...FOR....ME!!!!! !!:banana

Options are wonderful but you unless you really use them who cares. Remember the guys I work for? The have about half a billion in options between them. Where are they- where am I. Its not about where they could be- if they if they knew where they wanted to be. Maybe they are happy racing each other. I don't envy them although I do like and respect them.
If you know who you are- what you want- and how to get there- you don't need more options.:eek: Obtaining options sacrifices freedom- I mean how many options is enough? Do you judge your success in options. Do you judge wealth in money?:-?

Not to worry 10-K- you are still young -its not too late!:D

10-K
05-12-2011, 14:41
Nean - I saw this and immediately thought of you. :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/58391_153934181296721_100000404198286_353236_76169 49_n.jpg

Nean
05-12-2011, 15:02
Nean - I saw this and immediately thought of you. :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/58391_153934181296721_100000404198286_353236_76169 49_n.jpg

LOVE IT!! :banana Thanks 10-K, thats "it" in a nutshell and "it" is different for everyone.;) Reminds me of that line in City Slickers....:):)

sbhikes
05-12-2011, 15:29
Well, I got the job I interviewed for the other day. Proof that you can quit a good job just before an economic downturn, hike the trail for a couple of years, and return to the work world none the worse for wear. Good thing I had many years of cash on hand to make this a stress-free option. I suppose it also helped that I have a college degree and am in a technical field and wasn't a 55 year old man looking for a construction job.

Now I can save my big pile of money a little faster, but in the mean time, I can tell you that I have fewer options to exercise because I will have to sit at a desk from 8-5 M-F. That's not living life fully no matter how much money you get for it. I won't get to do a multi-month hike again until I quit this job, so the job really doesn't open up a lot of options while I have it. Hopefully the big pile o' money will, but that remains to be seen if a) I can amass it and b) it's still worth anything at the end.

I plan to hike the next week for at least 5 days in a row (I have a final exam on Thursday night so I can't go for the whole entire week.) Except for the occasional overnighter or long weekend or possibly full week, that'll be it for the next few years.

10-K
05-12-2011, 15:34
Hopefully you will have internet access. Whiteblaze withdrawal is rather painful, or so I've heard. :)

Well, I got the job I interviewed for the other day. Proof that you can quit a good job just before an economic downturn, hike the trail for a couple of years, and return to the work world none the worse for wear. Good thing I had many years of cash on hand to make this a stress-free option. I suppose it also helped that I have a college degree and am in a technical field and wasn't a 55 year old man looking for a construction job.

Now I can save my big pile of money a little faster, but in the mean time, I can tell you that I have fewer options to exercise because I will have to sit at a desk from 8-5 M-F. That's not living life fully no matter how much money you get for it. I won't get to do a multi-month hike again until I quit this job, so the job really doesn't open up a lot of options while I have it. Hopefully the big pile o' money will, but that remains to be seen if a) I can amass it and b) it's still worth anything at the end.

I plan to hike the next week for at least 5 days in a row (I have a final exam on Thursday night so I can't go for the whole entire week.) Except for the occasional overnighter or long weekend or possibly full week, that'll be it for the next few years.

Datto
05-12-2011, 18:23
Well, I got the job I interviewed for the other day.

Hey, congratulations.

Datto

RGB
05-12-2011, 19:06
I think it's true that people romanticize it a lot. Several people that want to do it and have done it seem to be very ideological (sometimes without the "logical") when the bare bones of it is they just don't want to work.

But I don't really think it's a bad thing though. America is one of the few places in the world where people define themselves by their job. When you meet someone new, someone is going to ask the question "So what do you do?" And people respond with their job. Yeah, that's nice and all, but what do you actually do besides the $hit you do to pay the bills? What do you enjoy doing? What are your interests? What do wish you could be doing for a living, basically? America lives to work, the rest of the world works to live (excluding Japan and other Asian countries, maybe).

I say do it. Also, put it on your resume` when you're done.

4shot
05-12-2011, 20:16
I think it's true that people romanticize it a lot. Several people that want to do it and have done it seem to be very ideological (sometimes without the "logical") when the bare bones of it is they just don't want to work.

of the word "work". In that sense, it was beyond a shadow of a doubt the hardest pure work I have ever done. in the more common usage of the word (i.e. time or energy for pay), it really wasn't because everything is done at one's own discretion. Wanna do eight miles today and spend hours pickink blueberries? OK. Wanna hump it for 28 miles to make a vertain hostel or town? OK. This is the appeal that a thruhike has for the vast majority of people imo, the autonomy to do work at their discretion. Very similar to what 10-K had as the owner of a business. The ability to "call the shots" is what people really crave, no matter their preferred venue.

Panzer1
05-12-2011, 21:14
never quite a good paying job to go hiking.

Money is everything.

Panzer

4shot
05-12-2011, 21:28
never quite a good paying job to go hiking.

Money is everything.

Panzer

hike? Should you quit that to go work at a job for free? Or is getting paid to hike equivalent to turning a hike into a job? :-?

Reid
05-12-2011, 21:30
when the cotton fails the corn prospers

Options
05-12-2011, 21:46
"How many times, have you heard someone say, If I had his money, I'd do things my way. But little they know, that it's so hard to find. One rich man in ten with a satisfied mind"

stranger
05-12-2011, 22:42

But I don't really think it's a bad thing though. America is one of the few places in the world where people define themselves by their job. When you meet someone new, someone is going to ask the question "So what do you do?" And people respond with their job. Yeah, that's nice and all, but what do you actually do besides the $hit you do to pay the bills? What do you enjoy doing? What are your interests? What do wish you could be doing for a living, basically? America lives to work, the rest of the world works to live (excluding Japan and other Asian countries, maybe).

I say do it. Also, put it on your resume` when you're done.

Well put...I'll take the rest of the world!

Nean
05-12-2011, 23:21

Good luck with the new job.:)

The Trail will be waiting for you...;)

Datto
05-13-2011, 22:41
My oldest son lives in Asheville, is 19 and a gifted guitarist. He lives to play guitar.... He works in a kitchen in downtown Asheville making $8.00 an hour. He's happy as a clam and lives from paycheck to paycheck. Basically, as long as he can buy Taco Bell and guitar strings he feels like he's set. Of course, you expect this from an adolescent moving into adulthood.

I can tell you that the most gifted guitarist I've ever seen was one that I saw in Asheville.

A very pretty girl had asked me out on a date -- she'd invited me to see a guitarist. A bass player. Ha, most single guys identify that with a walk home alone.

She and I ended up going to see the guy -- the bass player -- and with only about 30 people in the audience...the guy was fantastic. Never have I see anyone with that much musical talent in my life. His name, as I remember, was Michael Mann. Not the Miami Vice producer but the bassist with the same name. I can only assume he slept with his bass because I don't think you could be that good, that fluid, with a guitar without having slept with it for months, maybe years. Somehow, while that guy was jamming with another on stage who was playing an acoustic guitar, he worked in the McDonald's restaurant theme song into the music off the cuff. You couldn't help but laugh at times with what that guy could work into the music during his act. All from a bass guitar.

I mean, how can you make a bass guitar into an entire act? He could do it. Just needed some marketing person helping him out I think.

There is a music scene in Asheville. Alternative or something. One fantastic city from my view. I sure did have a great time there.

Datto

10-K
05-14-2011, 07:06
There is a music scene in Asheville. Alternative or something. One fantastic city from my view. I sure did have a great time there.

Datto

It's a great place to visit for sure.

Expensive and traffic issues but I guess most trendy cities are that way.

chief
05-14-2011, 15:08
Many gifted guitarists have no trouble working the McDonalds theme into their repertiore because hear it a lot at work!

Nean
05-14-2011, 15:21
that might not be true but it sure is funny:D

carpattack
10-19-2011, 18:35
So back in may I originally posted the question about quitting my job to hike the at. I just had the conversation with my boss yesterday and it went really well. I will have to quit because the time frame would be longer than what they allow for a leave of absence but I would be reliable in just one position lower than I am now and able to move up as soon as a management position opened up again. On top of all that they are going to find a way to help support me and my hike. I count myself very fortunate and am now even more excited to thru hike next year!

carpattack
10-19-2011, 18:36
Should have said rehirable, not reliable

nufsaid
10-19-2011, 19:08

And some of them are extremely good reasons. Use your head as well as your heart in making decisions.

MuddyWaters
10-19-2011, 21:20
Live your life the way you want
There is no right way, or wrong way
The way others do it is not necessarily right for you, or even right at all
Most persons with house, 2 cars, dog, and 2.3 kids are in debt up to eyeballs
Many are unhappy to boot. Never go anywhere, or do anything. A robot existence.
Many are destined to die without ever really having lived
There is a reason so many have"mid-life-crises", they wake up and realize their life is half over
And they havent ever done anything
When young you think you have so much time, and the future holds endless possibilities
But at middle age it is eye opening when you can see the rest of your life plan laid out
Work current job for 10 more years, retire, get sick, die. Same house, same town, same spouse
It puts it all in perspective, what is really important, and what is not
Follow your heart, not your head
Your head has been programmed by society to do things one way, and only that way, from the time you were young

Live_for_hiking
10-20-2011, 06:40
If I had it my way, I'd start planning for a thru-hike in 2012.

Truth is that my career AND retirement would suffer. My alternative? Determine how long it would take to save enough cash to live without a job for 1.5 years and not negatively impact my retirement. My calculations came up with 3.5 years. So, I will have a discussion about my thru-hike with my employer around January of 2015. If they say no, I put in my notice and will hike without worrying about my finances, retirement, etc. I'm of the opinion that I would not enjoy myself as much if I were not secure with my finances and short-term future after the hike.

Ladytrekker
10-20-2011, 07:03
When you get married and especially when you have children you take on obligations that I think need to come first. If quitting your job does not affect your families situation then go for it, if your itch to do a thru financially affects your family its hard to get support for that. I know the feeling of wanting to do the hike because it is all I think about but sometimes we have to evaluate whats best for everyone it affects. Selfish in the dictionary means taking care of ones self so it is not a bad word but in this case there is more than you so I would make sure your spouse is completely on board or you may have more problems when getting home than finding a job. This is a difficult decision to make good luck.

DapperD
10-20-2011, 08:17
When you get married and especially when you have children you take on obligations that I think need to come first. If quitting your job does not affect your families situation then go for it, if your itch to do a thru financially affects your family its hard to get support for that. I know the feeling of wanting to do the hike because it is all I think about but sometimes we have to evaluate whats best for everyone it affects. Selfish in the dictionary means taking care of ones self so it is not a bad word but in this case there is more than you so I would make sure your spouse is completely on board or you may have more problems when getting home than finding a job. This is a difficult decision to make good luck.Pretty much it in a nutshell:D. That's why they say middle-aged thru-hikers are usually in the minority on the trail. They are the ones who have the most pressing commitments, like raising children, holding a job to earn money to pay all the bills, including morgage, rent, etc...the young ones and the newly retired are in the majority. They are the ones who either are able to take advantage of freedom from responsibilities, or threw a lifetime of work and sacrifice, have earned it. If you have current responsibilities in your life, to your partner, children, job and home, etc...it is not quite as easy to just give them all up to go on a five to six month long hike.

MyName1sMud
10-20-2011, 09:55
Wasn't that Lennon that said the quote at the top of the page..... wait why am I even asking when I have GOOGLE

OBXWaMi
10-20-2011, 10:13
Carpattack,

I'm really glad this post came back up...I'm relatively new to WB and didn't see it until now. I've been wrestling with this same dilemma.

Here is the way I see MY situation: I'm 44 years old. My health is okay, but I wonder about my knees. I was a stay at home mom until my husband was injured in a car accident 16 years ago. He is now disabled. We have 4 children, oldest is 26 and youngest is 17. I have changed jobs several times in the past 15 years. My job is just that, a job. Don't get me wrong, it's okay money, but it's entry level with no opportunity for advancement. I am quitting my job as of April 1 and I'm going to go hike and volunteer!! Things will be tight, but they always have been.

How did I come to this decision?? I compared it to a situation from earlier in my life...
I decided I wanted this great parrot. She cost $600. I started saving. Every time I had almost enough saved up something came up--car needed tires, daughter needed braces, hot water heater busted (the list goes on)...It was more than 10 years before I got my parrot.

If you can afford to do this now, even if it means making adjustments to your household budget for a short time down the road to get back to where you are now; and as long as your wife is supportive, GO HIKE!
You are young, LIFE HAPPENS! If you wait until after you have children and can afford it, it might not happen for a LONG TIME.

Tinker
10-20-2011, 10:29
I would prepare to be either :
1) Unemployed long term with a low rate of unemployment insurance (those 5-6 mos. will come back to bite you in the butt), or,
2) Self-employed (you'll have to put the ball in motion before hiking the trail to make sure that you have reliable income when you come back).

Me, I can fix just about anything mechanical given the proper tools and diagrams/blueprints. I could probably bluff my way into a job that I figure I could pick up as I went along. Most likely, though, I would put an ad on Craigslist for "Bicycle repair" before I left for the trail and have my wife run phone interference for me until I got back. Maybe, just maybe I might have some work lined up when I returned.
The economy is very tough right now. I'm laid off and, as a seasonal worker (bicycle repair), even folks who would love to have me on their staff have to consider those who have seniority, so I continue to search.

Tinker
10-20-2011, 10:30
I would prepare to be either :
1) Unemployed long term with a low rate of unemployment insurance (those 5-6 mos. will come back to bite you in the butt), or
2) Self-employed (you'll have to put the ball in motion before hiking the trail to make sure that you have reliable income when you come back.
Me, I can fix just about anything mechanical given the proper tools and diagrams/blueprints. I could probably bluff my way into a job that I figure I could pick up as I went along. Most likely, though, I would put an ad on Craigslist for "Bicycle repair" before I left for the trail and have my wife run phone interference for me until I got back. Maybe, just maybe, I might have some work lined up when I returned.
The economy is very tough right now. I'm laid off and, as a seasonal worker (bicycle repair), even folks who would love to have me on their staff have to consider those who have seniority, so I continue to search.