PDA

View Full Version : Shelter Conditions after Storms?

xyppee1
05-03-2011, 21:15
Can anyone give us an update on trail conditions and Shelter conditions following the recent storms in the South East? Lots of damages in other places, just wondering if the trail was effected. I am going to the North side of the GSMNP this coming week.

XrayDuke
05-04-2011, 10:31
The Stan Murray and Overmountain shelters along the Roan Highlands both came through with no damage.

Tennessee Viking
05-04-2011, 11:39
I haven't heard of any damages from the rest of maintenance contacts.

I heard some tornadoes came with in a few miles of the trail and some shelters. But nothing actually hit the trail. As for wind and hail damage, hopefully the thrus will be helping report any issues.

FlyPaper
05-04-2011, 12:53
Can anyone give us an update on trail conditions and Shelter conditions following the recent storms in the South East? Lots of damages in other places, just wondering if the trail was effected. I am going to the North side of the GSMNP this coming week.

Was just out last week. One freshly fallen tree was down across the trail in the whole 41 mile stretch we did. We had to walk 3 feet off the trail to get around it. This was in Virginia BTW, which had some very strong winds while we were out.

On the bright side, there was plenty of water.

Buffalo Skipper
05-04-2011, 15:21
On the bright side, there was plenty of water.

Always good to know. ;)