PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Lynx Pass 1

Sun Blazed
05-03-2011, 21:18
Do you guys know much about this tent? Do y'all have an experiences with it? It seems to be pretty cheap and fairly light.

http://www.rei.com/product/810996/big-agnes-lynx-pass-1-tent

Jersey Tim
05-03-2011, 21:52
Looks OK. The on-site reviews say it's not the lightest option and that the fly flaps around in wind and rain, but you get what you pay for. If it interests you, the Buford REI is less than an hour away; take it out for the weekend, and if you don't like it, return it. My personal recommendation is the MSR Hubba; I borrow one from a less active but richer buddy whenever I go out on the trails, and have only good things to say about it. It's more expensive, but most everything written about it (including here on WB) says it's bombproof and a good value for the weight and quality.

Sun Blazed
05-03-2011, 23:26
Yeah, but for BIG people I've heard that it isn't to good. I'm 6'2", 300+ pounds, so I kinda have to get a bigger one.

Jersey Tim
05-03-2011, 23:54
Ah, good call. According to the specs, the Lynx Pass gives you an extra 4" longer and 16" wider. I'm more or less a skeleton, so I fit into the Hubba just fine, but you don't wanna skimp on space you really need and be uncomfortable at night for five months straight. I still recommend the ol' "REI buy-n-try" to make sure you like it before committing to it for real.

Sun Blazed
05-04-2011, 11:14
I think I will do that, it seems to be the best option right now. Thanks a lot.

levidoug
05-05-2011, 14:20
You might also check the new Jack Rabbit 2, got one haven't had it outside yet but set up in living room. good length. I am 6' 1''. A little more $

FamilyGuy
05-08-2011, 12:39
I saw one at REI a few weeks ago. Most impressed with the size. Plenty big for you larger folks and the 2 person is definitely not needed. I was also impressed with the price. A little heavier than the Hubba, but noticeably bigger.

The Old Chief
05-08-2011, 19:11
I have the Lynx and used it quite a bit on a section hike in March. Love the roominess inside the tent and the vestibule is very generous also. The floor is not made of sil-nylon so you don't slide around all night on a sleeping pad. This was a big selling point (along with the price) for me. One night the fly did flap around and the tent stake came loose that was holding it down, but the wind had been blowing about 30-50 mph for about 4 hours so I don't blame the tent too much. Going to do a section hike after Trail Days and will be using this tent.