PDA

View Full Version : SoBo hike issues

tolkien
05-03-2011, 22:11
Most hikes here seem to be NoBo hikes begining in early spring. I'll be begining a SoBo hike in mid-June of next year, and I'd like to know if there are any specific differences in starting a SoBo?

I decided to go SoBo because spending summer in Georgia and fall in Maine sounds like a good way to end a hike, plus the parks in Maine close in winter, I believe. I've heard the far north is more isolated than the far south, and more rugged. Is it harder to resuply? Is the 4ltr-Platypus water carrier excessive?

The_Truth
05-03-2011, 22:25
http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530

Southbounders start later (Baxter opens June 1) and usually finish in November or even December. The downsides: You'll endure thick black flies and challenging stream crossings in Maine (start after July 1 to avoid the worst); hike during hunting season in the south; and walk into winter instead of out of it. Upsides, according to successful SOBO Francis Tapon: get Maine and New Hampshire–the AT's hardest section–over with first; enjoy more solitude; walk out of mosquito season instead of into it; pass through Virginia during prime-time fall colors; and hike with no time pressure, since Springer Mountain doesn't close for the winter.

Marta
05-04-2011, 05:34
There are a number of threads on this subject in the Whiteblaze archives. Some are more factual; some are more argumentative.

You've already hit some of the main points:
*SOBOs start with some of the most exciting terrain on the Trail. Day 1 is a challenge to almost anyone's fitness.
*Your first big resupply/regear option is more than 100 miles into the hike. Poor gear and footwear choices are more serious for SOBOs than for NOBOs.
*There are only a few SOBOs--you're much more on your own, instead of being buoyed along by an enthusiastic crowd who can help you keep up your spirits.
*As your hike progresses, the days get shorter and the nights get longer. That can be a challenge.

SOBO Pride!

bigcranky
05-04-2011, 07:46
Since it appears that you live near the Trail, here is a suggestion. (This is my plan for a sobo hike that will happen, er, someday.)

Start on June 1 in Damascus, VA, and hike southbound for 2 weeks. Then go home, repack your gear, and get on the bus for Maine. Do a sobo thru-hike.

Rationale: The two weeks on the trail are a good warm-up that will let you (1) get your "trail legs", (2) nail down any gear problems, and (3) work out your hiking and camp routine in an easier and more supportive environment.

That section starts relatively flat, then hits serious climbs in the NC Balds. It has good resupply options and several places to bail if the need arises. When you do get to Maine, you'll be in much better shape to tackle Katahdin and the 100 mile wilderness.

Red Hat
05-04-2011, 08:52
At 17, you will probably love a SOBO hike. At my age, I simply wasn't ready for the rough terrain so early. You will be walking against the flow, so to speak, but there may be more folks on the trail than you expect for the first couple of months as you pass the NOBOS.

DapperD
05-04-2011, 10:49
Most hikes here seem to be NoBo hikes begining in early spring. I'll be begining a SoBo hike in mid-June of next year, and I'd like to know if there are any specific differences in starting a SoBo?

I decided to go SoBo because spending summer in Georgia and fall in Maine sounds like a good way to end a hike, plus the parks in Maine close in winter, I believe. I've heard the far north is more isolated than the far south, and more rugged. Is it harder to resuply? Is the 4ltr-Platypus water carrier excessive?It is harder. I believe they say only like 10% of thru-hikers head Southbound. It is an instant challenge physically as the terrain in Maine is so rugged. Having to begin the hike by climbing Mt. Katahdin first is not for the faint of heart or those who have been living a slothful existence:D. They say the best is to begin no sooner than July 1st. This way the bugs have died down and the mud has begun to dry up. If you are the type who enjoys solitude and a more individualistic type of hike, then this may be the more preferable direction to go. They say there will still be many starting Southbound around this time, but as your hike progresses, you will wind up having more time alone. There will be no time constraints to get to Georgia. Get yourself a warm, high quality bag and tent and have fun:sun.

on_the_GOEZ
05-04-2011, 11:02
I'd like to know if there are any specific differences in starting a SoBo?

Simply because it's what most people dont do! :banana

Two Tents
05-04-2011, 11:34
Simply because it's what most people dont do! :banana

Very well put! The plan that bigcranky has deserves serious consideration also. You better make sure that you get along very well with the man in the mirror. You will be by yourself and in the dark more than a hike going the other way. I am not trying to talk you out of it, I'm just sayin.

4shot
05-04-2011, 12:31
. There will be no time constraints to get to Georgia. Get yourself a warm, high quality bag and tent and have fun:sun.

while there is no "official" deadline for a SOBO, some of them that I met in New England were having discussions about how many miles per day they would have to average to be home for Thanksgiving. May not be a deal breaker for some but I know I would not want to miss any of the holidays away from home. Not trying to influence anybody or say that one direction is better than the other. Just something to consider for someone planning a thru.

DapperD
05-04-2011, 19:06
while there is no "official" deadline for a SOBO, some of them that I met in New England were having discussions about how many miles per day they would have to average to be home for Thanksgiving. May not be a deal breaker for some but I know I would not want to miss any of the holidays away from home.I can see how many would want to make the effort to be with loved ones during the major holidays, especially Thankgiving. One good thing is if the hiker is hiking "home", say they live near the trails Southern Terminus, after hiking for about 5 months if they still haven't finished, they might be able to have family meet them somewhere for a meal out together, or to take them back home for a few days to celebrate the holidays.

Buffalo Skipper
05-05-2011, 16:26
SOBO can be better. It's more like you are hiking downhill the whole way. ;)

stranger
05-05-2011, 19:42
I would make sure I was in good physical condition before starting a Sobo, cause you have Katahdin and then 100 or so miles of relatively moderate/tough terrain, and there is no Neels Gap or Hiawassee in there!

Also, I might imagine a huge sense of relief would be felt upon reaching Hanover, knowing the hardest terrain is behind you.

I think a Sobo would have much better weather, no real heat, no real cold unless you drag you a$$, less people.

Only other thing I would mention is you will end up hiking during hunting season and daylight will decline as you move south.

tolkien
05-05-2011, 19:53
Is it harder to resuply up north? Is a 4ltr Platypus water carrier excessive (even if I dont fill it all the way)? Should I take more than the 2-3 days of NoBo-recomended food? Because I'm leaning towards bringing a week's worth of food at first, until I get used to the terrain enough to travel quickly.

singing wind
05-05-2011, 23:15
Hi tolkien,
Resupply through the 100-Mile Wilderness can be achieved - I think there are notes in a thread elsewhere on WB. I started with about 5 days food hiking SOBO. I was able to pick up some supplies at one of the camps (accessed via a blue-blazed side trail - name escapes me - it's the burger place, very high prices) and also by hitching out on Katahdin Ironworks road to a nearby town (nearby meaning over 18 miles 1-way from the Gulf Hagas parking lot). Met some very nice folks along the way.

Water was very easy most of the time - possible exception would be the the high ridges but that is to be expected. The trail was flooded the year I walked it - a canoe would have been more appropriate in places! You may find a 4-ltr Platy excessive - would this be in addition to your regular, say 1-ltr water bottles? To each their own.

It's rugged terrain, as you may have gathered, but very beautiful as well. Enjoy...

Marta
05-06-2011, 06:27
As far as resupply in the Hundred-Mile Wilderness... You can do it, but most people don't. If you're not going to resupply, make sure you bring a week's worth of food with you. When I was hiking SOBO, I ended up with a little group of guys who had planned to blast through the Wilderness in four days, but because of injuries and other issues, ended up needing a week. They were desperate for food by the end of it. It is not at all uncommon for fit, young hikers to hurt themselves (knees, Achilles, blisters, quad injury...) the first few days out. Once you're hurt, your speed drops by half.

OTOH, a lot of SOBOs blow through Georgia in 3 or four days rather than the week or more most NOBOs require. It all evens out.

naturejunkie
05-06-2011, 10:33
SOBO resupply is quite achievable through the Wilderness. I carried five days of food (1 day for Katahdin plus 4 days to WHL) and even cheated by grabbing a burger at Abol Bridge store. Then I resupplied just fine at White House Landing. Other SOBOs resupplied at one of the logging roads, where a nice lady cached their resupply. I can't remember her name, but I met her in Monson at Shaw's.

Doing one or the other makes your pack much lighter and the hike more enjoyable. If you're a fast and fit hiker, you could of course get by with even less. But if you're fat and slow like me or new to backpacking, I would stick with 5 days of food with one of the aforementioned resupplies.

However, I did hear something about WHL being up for sale, so I would confirm they are open for the season before you plan on a resupply there.

naturejunkie
05-06-2011, 12:59
For this year's hikers who are interested, I just checked with WHL and they will be open for the season beginning on Memorial Day weekend.

tolkien
05-06-2011, 14:23
Alright. I'll err on the side of caution here and use the external frame to take a weeks worth of food and the 4-ltr water carrier with me.

Blissful
05-07-2011, 16:05

I decided to go SoBo because spending summer in Georgia and fall in Maine sounds like a good way to end a hike, plus the parks in Maine close in winter, I believe. I've heard the far north is more isolated than the far south, and more rugged. Is it harder to resuply? Is the 4ltr-Platypus water carrier excessive?

SOBO is a great way to go. I wrote about it on my blog, hope to write more differences about SOBO vs NOBO. Don't need a 4 lt platypus, plenty of water. I even did it in a drought and found water with maps. Resupply at WHL in the 100 mile wilderness. I would not carry a week's worth of food if i can help it, not after my knee gave out with the load last year.

tolkien
05-07-2011, 21:41
SOBO is a great way to go. I wrote about it on my blog, hope to write more differences about SOBO vs NOBO. Don't need a 4 lt platypus, plenty of water. I even did it in a drought and found water with maps. Resupply at WHL in the 100 mile wilderness. I would not carry a week's worth of food if i can help it, not after my knee gave out with the load last year.
Sorry to hear that. I have fairly good knees, and a good dose of Vitamin I never hurt. But I do have somewhat disproportionately thin ankles and I tend to roll them at least once or so a year during careless descents/water crossings so I plan on bringing mid-high top shoes/boots and athletic ankle braces.

Blissful
05-08-2011, 16:12
Sorry to hear that. I have fairly good knees, and a good dose of Vitamin I never hurt. But I do have somewhat disproportionately thin ankles and I tend to roll them at least once or so a year during careless descents/water crossings so I plan on bringing mid-high top shoes/boots and athletic ankle braces.

I'd get a wobble board and strengthen your ankles that way. And make sure you have the proper footwear for your feet type. I can tell you with that kind of stuff on your legs and feet, you'll get blisters galore. Not sure why thin ankles would make ankles roll, its weak ligaments which can be strengthened with proper exercises. (I have had multiple ankle injuries). I have hiked the trail both ways in trail runners and no braces.

tolkien
05-08-2011, 18:23
I'd get a wobble board and strengthen your ankles that way. And make sure you have the proper footwear for your feet type. I can tell you with that kind of stuff on your legs and feet, you'll get blisters galore. Not sure why thin ankles would make ankles roll, its weak ligaments which can be strengthened with proper exercises. (I have had multiple ankle injuries). I have hiked the trail both ways in trail runners and no braces.
Thin, not weak. I assume they're just as strong as any other ankles of their size. They're just a bit too small for my large legs. I runs in my family: my dad and grandfather are also prone to injuries.

The athletic braces I'm looking at don't seem like they could give me blisters on my feet unless I stuffed them in my shoes.