PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable medium between trail runners and boots?

tolkien
05-04-2011, 11:21
Im looking for something a bit sturdier than trail runners, but big heavy boots now seem to be a bit excessive and heavy. However, I do like the boots for the ankle support and thick soles. Is there a shoe you would recomend that offers good ankle support and sole endurance without being incredibly heavy/thick?

JAK
05-04-2011, 11:42
I have an old pair of leather ankle boots like that. No padding. No thick sole. Weigh about 1 pound each. I don't see anything like them on the market anymore unless you go to some very rare and expensive specialty shops or fashion something yourself. Once you do manage to fashion something yourself, you will always be able to maintain and replace them.

Here is something I would like to try...
http://www.quoddy.com/styles/tracker-boot.html

LDog
05-04-2011, 12:05
Im looking for something a bit sturdier than trail runners, but big heavy boots now seem to be a bit excessive and heavy. However, I do like the boots for the ankle support and thick soles. Is there a shoe you would recomend that offers good ankle support and sole endurance without being incredibly heavy/thick?

Mary and I have Solomon 3D Fastpacker GTX mid-cut boots which have goretex liners, and the base of a trail running shoe. My size 10s weigh 17 ozs each, and are very comfortable. I wish the heel cup was just a tad narrower, but that's a common issue for me.

http://www.salomon.com/medias/products/product2/440378.jpg (http://www.salomon.com/us/product/3d-fastpacker-mid-gtx.html)

Our plan is to use these for the shoulder seasons, switching out to lighter, low-cut trail runners for the summer. Figure these will give us a bit more ankle support as we are getting our legs under us for the first month or so, and later, in VT, NH and ME when we're in more challenging terrain.

88BlueGT
05-04-2011, 12:19
Look for a mid cut trail-runner and you will have the best of both worlds.

ChillyWilly, nice boot. I'm going to look into them, they seem nice.

UPDATE: MEVERMIND, out of my price range :rolleyes:

naturejunkie
05-04-2011, 12:27
A lot of people seem to like the Keen Targhee or Voyager, which seem to fit your description nicely.

tolkien
05-04-2011, 12:34
Those boots do look exactly like what I was looking for. I was kind-of hoping for something that more resembled an old-style leather boot (mostly for aesthetic reasons). The price is a bit much, but I will bookmark these. They seem reasonable.
Do you know if I can get them in 13-Wide? I have a 12.5-Wide pair of Timberland shoes I wear every day, and I know that between foot-swell and heavy socks I'll need to upgrade.

Praha4
05-04-2011, 12:36
Backpacker magazine publishes their annual Editor's Choice awards for different weight hiking shoes/boots, you could look their recommendations over.

I like the Vasque Breeze GTX midcuts... I also see many Keen Targhee II midcuts on the trail and Merrell MOAB low cut and midcuts on the trail. I've used the Salomon midcuts, they are also nice. Make sure you get something with good shank support, its easy to strain the plantar fascia on the hills and rocks if you don't have good support in the shoe.

LDog
05-04-2011, 17:23
UPDATE: MEVERMIND, out of my price range :rolleyes:

So far, the cheapest price I've seen for the Solomons is $112 at o2 Gear Shop