PDA

View Full Version : Wow...

10-K
05-04-2011, 11:29
I guess I'm going a bit crazy - I'm already thinking about hiking the BMT again.

Knowing what I know now I think the 2nd time would be even more fun.

My next 2 hikes of more than a few days are the AT from Atkins to Damascus with my wife and a Bartram Trail thru in August.

I bet the BMT would be an awesome October hike.....

Jeff
05-04-2011, 11:32
You got the bug bad !!! :)

Tipi Walter
05-04-2011, 11:55
I'm planning my next swaray in the Cohutta wilderness, part of which you passed thru on your trip. There's enough trails in it and the Big Frog to keep me occupied for the next ten years, and it's close to home.

10-K
05-04-2011, 11:56
I'm planning my next swaray in the Cohutta wilderness, part of which you passed thru on your trip. There's enough trails in it and the Big Frog to keep me occupied for the next ten years, and it's close to home.

The Cohutta wilderness section was my favorite. Definitely had the most remote feel of the entire trail to me.

mweinstone
05-04-2011, 11:57
walk out of atkins at dawn. the birdsong there is amazing. you must be just south of town on the first bump for best hearing. but anywhere ontrail within half a mile of the road is magic. something about that walk just thrills me to my birdcore. take a recording. i have the sounds and sights of this on youtube on a 30 second clip i belive is just called atkins va. look for it and other clips i made there.

Canada Goose
05-04-2011, 23:03
walk out of atkins at dawn. the birdsong there is amazing. you must be just south of town on the first bump for best hearing. but anywhere ontrail within half a mile of the road is magic. something about that walk just thrills me to my birdcore.

On a hike a few years back southbound from Bland to Damascus, I left the Relax Inn at dawn after spending the night there. There were a lot of birds, and there was a lot of singing, all the way to the Settler's Museum. It was magical!

The one other place where I encountered a similar aviary serenade was Overmountain Shelter. Pure heaven...

CG

Dogwood
05-05-2011, 03:44
You gotta go over to the shopping network or take up coin collecting or something! You're an addict! Let me give you the time and place of the next Hikers Anonymous meeting near you. Maybe, you'll see me there.

My life was out of control. I was powerless to stop hiking. All I ever thought about was my next hike.

Stay away from me too. I'll be a co-dependent to you!

Nean
05-05-2011, 03:51
walk out of atkins at dawn. the birdsong there is amazing. you must be just south of town on the first bump for best hearing. but anywhere ontrail within half a mile of the road is magic. something about that walk just thrills me to my birdcore. take a recording. i have the sounds and sights of this on youtube on a 30 second clip i belive is just called atkins va. look for it and other clips i made there.

U may have replied on this site before:confused:

but this ranks high among them;)

SGT Rock
05-05-2011, 18:46
The BMT is addicting.

Trailbender
05-05-2011, 23:41
The BMT is addicting.

I'm gonna find out in a couple of days. I ordered your book, it looks really thorough. If I get lost in the woods and die, I'll be sure to blame your book. Nah, I have plenty of wilderness survival skills. I'd probably end up wearing a loincloth and hunting rabbits with a stone age bow set. They would find me in 20 years when they were building a new subdivision, and I wouldn't even be able to talk anymore.

SGT Rock
05-06-2011, 09:31
You should do fine out there. If you stay long enough you will run into Tipi Walter at least once.

Trailbender
05-06-2011, 14:15
You should do fine out there. If you stay long enough you will run into Tipi Walter at least once.

Yeah, he seems like a guy I could learn a lot from. I am applying for a ridgerunner position somewhere along the AT next year, so I am gonna kinda hang out and hike until then. I also want to look into a park ranger position as well. I have gotten extremely frugal over the years, and don't need to buy much besides food anymore. I have decided that an outdoors job would fit me well, I have done a lot of different jobs over the years, and surprisingly, framing houses was the only job I actually enjoyed, and it paid fairly well.

I do wish I could carry a monster pack, just to carry tons of food. My base weight is not bad, around 13 lbs, but I wouldn't mind being able to carry 20-25 lbs of food. I was one of the few thrus last year who didn't really care for town stops and staying at hostels. I slept better in my tent, and just did neros for resupply.

I will experiment with heavier and heavier loads, just to see what my "magic" pack weight will be. The doctor never told me in the Army what weight causes stress fractures, he just said that I carried too much. In Iraq, my normal load was probably around 90 lbs. Body armor with rifle plates, weapons, ammo, water, medic bag, ect. I was 140 lbs when I was in.