PDA

View Full Version : Down VS Synthetic bag

tolkien
05-04-2011, 11:43
"Down is best in every way, except where it isn't" is something I read previously. Most posts in favor of down go something like "it's great in every way and the only downside is it doesnt dry well", but as somebody who lives in the appalachains I can say that not drying well is a faily big issue. Any personal experience would be welcome.

Spider
05-04-2011, 11:45
dont get it wet and you're fine

4shot
05-04-2011, 11:56
as said above, keep it dry. that's pretty easy to do with a waterproof stuff sack. While synthetic may retain more insulating value when wet, I don't imagine it would be comfortable to get into a wet bag of any type.

88BlueGT
05-04-2011, 12:13
+1 you just need to take precaution to keep it dry, the same that you would do with ANY bag, down OR synthetic.

FYI, if you get a good bag (and depending on the bag) some brands have water RESISTANT shells. I know my Marmot Helium does and it works very well.

tolkien
05-04-2011, 12:37
Marmot Helium + water-proof bag. Got it. Would a garbage bag work well as a waterproof sack?

Also:
Do you have allergy problems with the down bags?
"Just don't get it wet" seems a bit improbable at times. I like the down bags, but not drying rapidly is truly an issue. They seem better than synthetics, in general, but the moisture issue is big for me.

ChinMusic
05-04-2011, 12:42
Marmot Helium + water-proof bag. Got it. Would a garbage bag work well as a waterproof sack?

Also:
"Just don't get it wet" seems a bit improbable at times. I like the down bags, but not drying rapidly is truly an issue. They seem better than synthetics, in general, but the moisture issue is big for me.
Garbage bags work just fine but take more care.

"Just don't get it wet" works for me.

4shot
05-04-2011, 13:12
"Just don't get it wet" seems a bit improbable at times.

when hiking in rain, pack cover + w-p stuff sack works well enough for an AT hike. some may say both are an over kill.the bag may get some moisture over time when setting up camp or repacking in the rain but not enough to affect the bag's insulating value.

Ender
05-04-2011, 13:44
You'll be fine with down. It takes a serious level of ineptitude to really soak a down bag enough that it becomes worthless. Take the normal precautions (keep inside the backpack, keep in a waterproof stuff sack, etc etc etc), and you'll have no real problems.

leaftye
05-04-2011, 14:16
There are certain techniques to help drive building moisture out of your bag. First thing I do when I get out of my down jacket or quilt is quickly compress it to drive out the moist air before it cools and condenses in the insulation. You can also dry it in the sun during the day, but I've been fortunate enough in hiking in the west that I haven't needed to do that.

JAK
05-04-2011, 14:45
It is good to practice keeping your bag dry, but also think about the ways and means of drying it out or dealing with it if it does happen to get wet. It is easier to skimp on your bag, and bag protection, if your clothing is somewhat on the overkill. If you are skimping on clothing, you have to be more careful about your bag and shelter. Depends also on time of year, how long the nights are, how wet it is, and whether or not you can depend on trees and fire in a pinch, or going to a lower altitude, or off the trail. Think about worst case scenarios, like falling in a creek or 2 days of rain, with 2 feet of snow already on the ground, then freezing temperatures. That's probably not going to happen in July, so it depends on the time of year, and how familiar you are with that part of thee trail at that time of year.

garlic08
05-04-2011, 14:57
I hiked only Western trails in mostly arid climate with my down bag before I tackled the AT, and I had similar concerns. I can report that even in a wet year I had no water issues with my down bag on the AT. As said above, with some trail smarts and experience your bag won't get wet.

I used synthetic bags for years until I realized, even after some years in the Washington Cascades and Olympics, where they measure the rain in feet not inches, I'd never wetted out a sleeping bag. So I finally switched to down and kicked myself for waiting so long.

Chomp09
05-04-2011, 14:58
There is a new line of Sea To Summit sleeping bags out this spring that are down with a thin synthetic layer near the surface intended to wick moisture away from the inside of the bag. I haven't read any reviews of them yet but they might be a good option if you're concerned about water.

4shot
05-04-2011, 15:21
You'll be fine with down. It takes a serious level of ineptitude to really soak a down bag enough that it becomes worthless. Take the normal precautions (keep inside the backpack, keep in a waterproof stuff sack, etc etc etc), and you'll have no real problems.

ineptitude. My skill set varied from extremely inept to mediocre/mildly competent on a good day and i managed to keep my bag dry;). (I did try to remain congenial though at all times). Seriously, I cannot envision a scenario in which you would get a down bag wet enough to make it worthless while hiking the AT if it's a w-p sack.

Ender
05-04-2011, 15:38
ineptitude. My skill set varied from extremely inept to mediocre/mildly competent on a good day and i managed to keep my bag dry;). (I did try to remain congenial though at all times). Seriously, I cannot envision a scenario in which you would get a down bag wet enough to make it worthless while hiking the AT if it's a w-p sack.

Ha! :sun

Yeah, I got rained on for 28 out of the 30 days of April during my thru, and I never had a problem at all. I honestly think you'd have to actively try to get your bag wet to actually accomplish it.

Snowleopard
05-04-2011, 16:59

"Just don't get it wet" seems a bit improbable at times. ...
Allergy problems: I don't have it, but an allergy to down is possible; I don't know if it's common. Allergy to dust mites is common. If you're allergic to dust mites or if you have asthma, you're supposed to wash your bedding with 140 degree water at least every 2 weeks (of use). I don't like washing my down bags that often and it could be difficult on a thru-hike. So, I'm thinking of using a synthetic quilt in the summer in warmer temps; it'll be lighter and easier to clean. For colder temps, I'll take down.

"Just don't get it wet" isn't that hard. In truly wet/damp climates I'd be tempted to use synthetics down freezing.

Chubbs4U
05-04-2011, 17:21
So is there ever a point/use for a synthetic bag?

Ender
05-04-2011, 17:26
Well, some people are allergic to down. Also, for extended river rafting trips I'd maybe go with synthetic.

Really though, down is pretty great, and it lasts longer than a synthetic bag, so over the course of years, the price equals out.

Leanthree
05-04-2011, 18:30

Synthetic is generally cheaper for a similar temperature rating is all I can think of.

leaftye
05-04-2011, 19:01

Synthetic is generally cheaper for a similar temperature rating is all I can think of.

If you are fairly certain moisture will get inside, and/or if you don't have to carry it, then synthetic can be great. I wish I could remember more, but I swear I remember a certain explorer to the north pole that used an overstuffed synthetic bag. His thinking was that a lot of condensation would build up during the trip, so he wanted a thicker bag that would still work, and since he had a sled, he didn't have to carry that big load.

More to our concerns...

A synthetic quilt can be easier because they don't require baffles, and because of that reason there seems to be a certain warmth level where synthetic quilts are as light or lighter than their down counterparts.

SassyWindsor
05-04-2011, 20:32

I use a synthetic bag when kayaking, extra weight doesn't really matter, but keeping me warm if it should get wet does. I use a down bag 90% of the time when traveling by foot.

Jay_NJ
05-04-2011, 20:40
"Just don't get it wet" seems a bit improbable at times.

I have never had a problem with a wet bag over the last few years after I switched from a synthetic. Some issues I've heard are condensation,etc, in tarps, but I use a double-wall tent. I think the most wet I have gotten my bag in the last 3 years and many many nights backpacking is a damp footbox from hitting the end of my tent multiple times during a torrential rain storm. It dried quickly the following day.

With a garbage bag, a pack-cover, and some common sense you should really never have a wet bag.

Tinker
05-04-2011, 20:42
Down is much lighter (though more expensive) than synthetic fills and lasts for years. Synthetic bags used on, say, a thruhike are not nearly as warm near the end as they are in the beginning as the insulation mats down and loses loft.

Heat can also damage synthetic fills because it allows the fibers to "relax" losing the semi-permanent kink which gives them their bulk. Never dry them in a hot dryer - use low heat or line dry.

The only time I think I would use synthetic filled bags is if I went on an extended water trip or did canyoneering or (in the east) following a stream just for fun.

The exception I would possibly make (for hiking) is for a summer only bag. Since you don't need as much of any type of insulation in a 40-50 degree bag the difference in weight between down and synthetic is not significant (though the cost can be!).