PDA

View Full Version : Last years bad news...

Miss Janet
01-25-2005, 14:03
I just got word that the man known as Saved that was stealing his way down the AT last summer may have been taken into custody. I am waiting on confirmation from the authorities but it sounds like they know it was him. He was living in rural Ga since about the time the last stolen car was found in October. Maybe now he can get the help he needs and pay his debt to society for the crimes he commited. Assuming it is him and he is guilty of the charges.
The problem is that many of the people who heard the "Appalachian Trail Theif!" stories, will still look at all the hikers they see over the next months as "one of THOSE hikers!" and wonder if they should trust them or be afraid of them! So, try to take an extra effort in towns to just smile and be polite and considerate. It can't hurt!

Rain Man
01-25-2005, 14:09
... try to take an extra effort in towns to just smile and be polite and considerate. It can't hurt!

AMEN, Sister Janet!!! Not a bad rule any time.

:sun
Rain Man

hikerjohnd
01-25-2005, 15:12
The problem is that many of the people who heard the "Appalachian Trail Theif!" stories, will still look at all the hikers they see over the next months as "one of THOSE hikers!" and wonder if they should trust them or be afraid of them! So, try to take an extra effort in towns to just smile and be polite and considerate. It can't hurt!
As mom used to say, it takes one bad apple... All of us will be judged on the actions of a few - so the time taken to be curteous and respectful goes a long way. Somebody told me that it takes 10 good things to rule out 1 bad thing - so we will have to be dilligent in our manners.

:)