PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Rogers: 2 nights. Need suggestions

ronniedee
05-04-2011, 13:19
Would anyone be willing to suggest an easy 2-nighter at Mount Rogers for my wife and me? I'm thinking Grayson Highlands would be a good place, but have just begun looking into it and could use any tips.

We'd be leaving from Charlotte.

chelko
05-04-2011, 14:27
Park at the overnight parking lot and take the .8 mile blue blazed connector trail to the AT the turn right (north) on the AT and reach the Wise shelter in about 2.5 miles. It is a nice shelter. If you prefer to tent continue on the AT for another .2 miles and cross the creek then climb the steep bank and you will be at a large campsite. Day two continue north on the AT to Scales and then up to the ridge to the junction with Pine Mountain Trail (blue blazed) go left and follow this till you get to Rhododendron Gap and turn right (south) on the AT. From here it is a little over a mile to the Thomas Knob shelter or you can camp in one of the many sites along this section. This is also where you will most likely see the ponies. Day two is about 7.5 miles. Day three backtrack north on the AT past the junction with Pine Mountain Trail and continue on the AT going north till you get to the spur trail you entered on take a right and you are back to the parking lot in .8 miles. Day three about 5.5 miles. This hike has everything the highlands has to offer. Forests, Balds, Ridges, Rock outcrops, Creeks and awesome views. Get the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated map for Mt Rogers. There are several horse trails that criss cross the area and you could become dis-oriented if you are not watching the signs and the blazes.

Doc Mike
05-04-2011, 14:30
+1 on chelko suggestion
just hiked that area last weekend and was wonderful

Ewker
05-04-2011, 16:12
+2 on that hike!!!

ronniedee
05-04-2011, 16:25
I've got the Nat Geo map and your directions are very easy to follow. Thanks for everyone's input.

I called the Ranger Station and they just received snow and have night temps in the 20's. The wife preferred to wait until it warms up or until she can get some warmer gear. We'll likely do this trip in another couple weeks or so.

map man
05-04-2011, 21:42
Here's hoping the weather doesn't give you and your wife the same send-off it did to Doc Mike:eek:. No twisters please.

Doc Mike
05-05-2011, 06:57
Yeah mine was quite the adventure. As stated before it was a wonderful hike. Longhorns, ponies, beautiful vistas. I think i'll always remember the rock where we ate lunch watching the ponies and relaxing in the sun.

chelko
05-05-2011, 09:08
Snow at mt Rogers in May. Probably the only place south of the Whites with such un predictable weather.

Ewker
05-06-2011, 10:15
Does anyone know what the conditions are like at Mt Rogers/Grayson Highland State Park due to the tornado's in that area?

I know Grindstone campgrounds are closed due to some tornado damage so I was wondering about the trails up that way

Doc Mike
05-06-2011, 10:41
I was there after tornado. It missed that area no damage at all.

Ewker
05-06-2011, 11:09
good to know. We may do that hike listed above next weekend