PDA

View Full Version : Trail Guides

Jeremiah Greenjeans
05-04-2011, 13:47
How will I be able to find trail guides for my thru hike? Are they sold in the towns I walk through or should I buy them ahead of time? Thanks.

88BlueGT
05-04-2011, 14:27
Thru-Hikers Companion (2011)
AT Data Book (2011)

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemlist.cfm?atcmem=0&catid=42&pcatid=0&compid=1

FYI: You also get 15-20% off if you sign up for the ALDHA.

Amanita
05-04-2011, 14:46
I just got my AT guide by David "AWOL" Miller, and I must say the format is fantastic. It has really good details on water and resupply, as well as restaurants and lodging. Available in both NOBO and SOBO formats. He also sells an unbound version on his website so you can split it up by section without having to rip the pages out.

Awol2003
05-04-2011, 14:46
“Trail guides” is ambiguous because hikers use the term to refer to a variety of publications. The ATC publishes a set of 11 guides that have detailed descriptions of the trail. These books are not commonly carried by thru-hikers.
There are other guidebooks that cover the full length of the trail in a single book. “The Data Book” is bare-bones little book with mileages to all landmarks along the way. “The Thru-Hikers’ Companion” and “The A.T. Guide” have more detail about hiker services along the way and are the most common choices for thru-hikers.
All of these books are available from a number of shops along the way. But most thru-hikers will purchase in advance for use in planning.
I publish The A.T. Guide: www.theATguide.com

Spokes
05-04-2011, 14:51
Yep, don't waste your time. Just order The AT Guide from AWOL and be done with it.

Jeremiah Greenjeans
05-04-2011, 21:28
Wow... that was easy.. thanks! David, you just got a sale on your website.