PDA

View Full Version : What cup do you use for coffee?

hawkeye
05-04-2011, 14:29
Hi, I am looking for a light cup for morning coffee. What do you use??
Greg

10-K
05-04-2011, 14:40
I use the same pot I cook with, a .5 liter Evernew ti pot.

I did used to keep a double wall ti cup carbinered to the back of my pack for coffee though. http://www.moontrail.com/snowpeak-ticups-dw.php

dbellue
05-04-2011, 14:50
The cup/bowl that is part of my GSI Soloist Cook set. Works well.

Hoop
05-04-2011, 14:53
McDonald's - cheap, sturdy, easy to replace.

Spokes
I carried an old lexan cup. An inexpensive travel mug from WalMart works great too.

bigcranky
My cook pot is a 700ml mug, works fine for coffee.

JAK
05-04-2011, 14:54
I will try to keep the paper cup from Tim Horton's that I bought on the drive to the trailhead, and keep it going for a day or two before eventually using it for tinder. After that it is the same mug/pot that I use for soup and oatmeal and other stuff. It is nice to have two. I am working on it doubling as a water carrier with a sealable lid, so I can have two of the same, without too much redundancy and extra weight and bulk. On the other hand I like the feel of ceramic mugs so I have have a mind to carry one. I have one that is sort of half way between a bowl and a mug, without a handle. I don't mind the extra weight but I am afraid of busting it. Natural materials are cool. I've heard of people making coffee cups from birch bark but I've only had epic fails thus far.

hawkeye
05-04-2011, 15:06
Think I'll get the GSI Soloist Cook set.

Deadeye
05-04-2011, 15:11
I use a single-wall titanium mug (Snowpeak, I think) for my coffee. Plastic cups are fine, but the nice thing with a metal mug: you can reheat the coffee!

JaxHiker
05-04-2011, 15:11
I use the double-wall ti cup from Snow Peak. I just like my coffee to stay hot and that doesn't happen with my single-wall pots.

Buffalo Skipper
05-04-2011, 15:19
Not to hijack the thread, but I have been keeping an eye out for a clear lexan (single layer, not like the rei insulated mug) measuring cup to double as a coffee cup. While we are talking about measuring cupg, can anyone offer some ideas on where I can find something like this?

Thanks...

dbellue
05-04-2011, 15:25

At 10oz, not a bad choice

Sickmont
05-04-2011, 15:41
Not to hijack the thread, but I have been keeping an eye out for a clear lexan (single layer, not like the rei insulated mug) measuring cup to double as a coffee cup. While we are talking about measuring cupg, can anyone offer some ideas on where I can find something like this?

Thanks...
How about this?

http://www.shoptrailblazer.com/Lexan-Cup---12oz/PAAAAABHFGCBDBBK/product?ad_id=froogle&key_id=LexanCup12oz

bigcranky
05-04-2011, 15:45
I use the double-wall ti cup from Snow Peak. I just like my coffee to stay hot and that doesn't happen with my single-wall pots.

I made a pot cozy from Reflectix. I use it for cozying meals, and it keeps my coffee hot, too.

Hikes in Rain
05-04-2011, 15:52
Still using my old Sierra cup. It's steel (weighs 4 oz), wire rim wicks the heat away from your lip so you don't burn it on the cup (just the coffee), good shape for dipping out of spring puddles or small streams. I keep it in an outside pack pocket. Exactly 8 fluid ounces at the rim, so it makes a decent makeshift measuring cup. Wish it held more coffee, though, the way I gulp it in the mornings! Still, haven't found anything better, although I keep monitoring threads like this for ideas. one day, one might come.

daddytwosticks
05-04-2011, 16:19
Lately, I've been using a 500ml nalgene bottle with a beer can cozy as a mug. Multi-purpose extra water carrier, hot water bottle, or emptied, I can store crushables (such as Nutri-grain bars) in them. If not this, just use my SP-600 as a mug. :)

Alligator
05-04-2011, 16:38
I use a ti Sierra cup with folding handle for tea. It would work for some methods of brewing coffee.
http://www.wildernessdining.com/eqvar480.html
If interested, note that there is an Evernew model that is similar but that the Evernew listed weight is more than the Vargo.

Doc Mike
05-04-2011, 16:55
walmart sells lexan measuring cups. very good for coffee(i burn my lip with titanium), and very handy for freezer bag cooking

Buffalo Skipper
05-04-2011, 16:56
How about this?

http://www.shoptrailblazer.com/Lexan-Cup---12oz/PAAAAABHFGCBDBBK/product?ad_id=froogle&key_id=LexanCup12oz

That's almost it! and I love that it is 12oz (not 8). :sun
But I really want something that has oz measurment marks on it.

harryfred
05-04-2011, 18:50
I use travel cup I got at Dollar General for a dollar. It holds two cups I scribed the one cup point inside. Just put some instant coffee in it with water, put the lid on and give it a gentle shake/ stirring motion. Also use it for dehydrated soups. It hangs off the back of my pack or off a shoulder strap. I also carry the cup off a cough syrup bottle which is marked in tsp., tbsp. and oz. and the scoop out of a gator aid can that holds 1/4 cup. I can figure whatever I need from there.

woodstock64
05-04-2011, 20:10
I use the pot from my GSI Minimalist w/ supplied sip lid & cozy.

Tinker
05-04-2011, 20:34
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/snow-peak/titanium-cook-set-3pcs/

I use the larger cup from the set above. I can reheat my coffee if it gets cold by placing it near the fire (if I have one going) or setting it briefly on the stove, plus you can put it in boiling water to sterilize it, dip water from seeps with it, lots of uses.

kanga
05-04-2011, 20:36
i have a montbell ti set and while my breakfast is rehydrating in the big bowl or frying on the lid, the coffee is perking in the small bowl.

Farr Away
05-05-2011, 10:40

You can put ounce measuring marks on it - just use permanent marker, then paint over it with clear nail polish when dry (or something similar if you don't have nail polish lying around). I put two sets of marks on mine to help me 'level' things.

-FA

amac
05-05-2011, 11:39
I use this for my coffee and my powdered beverages. It's the 16oz version. It is a multuse item.
http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor//static/images/acc/80896.jpg

kanga
05-05-2011, 13:05

i etched the measurements onto my ti set myself. it's also easy to do with lexan.

Buffalo Skipper
05-05-2011, 13:39
Thanks for all the good ideas. This is what I currently have.http://www.rei.com/zoom/tt/853e56c1-08b3-4e0c-8cd0-7bd4517d00ef.jpg/150
The glue holding the handle failed, but that was fine with me (made it ligher and easier to pack). At about 5.5 oz, it is ok, but I would just as soon find a lighter alternative. I do like the clear plastic as it is easier to read as a measuring cup. I have 2 titanium cups. One is from the Snowpeak stove starter kit: a .7L ti cup, the other is from the Snowpeak French Press. Can't decide on which I like better.

One mug (my plastic one) will be for oatmeal and measuring, while the other will be for coffee/hot chocolate/cider.

Beachcomber
05-05-2011, 15:11
Just paid 99 cents for a no-name 8-oz plastic cup, graduated for measuring and with a handle for hot drinks. It's identical to the one in the classic BSA mess kit. (In fact, I got it to replace one missing from my son's kit.) Found it at Great Outdoor Provision Co.

Normis
05-05-2011, 15:34
I use this:

http://www.minibulldesign.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1968264

STICK
05-06-2011, 00:29
I used to use an REI Polypropylene Cup (http://www.rei.com/product/784667/rei-campware-polypropylene-cup) which weighed 2 oz, held 12 oz of fluid and has graduated markings inside the cup. Plus, since it is Poly, the handle never gets too hot and the lip will never burn your lips!

However, now I carry a Kupilka 21 (http://sticksblog.com/gear/kitchen/cups-mugs/kupilka-21-cup/). It weighs a little more at 3 oz, has a slightly smaller capacity and no graduated markings...but this cup is different. It is fashioned after the traditional kuksa's but rather than being made from 100% birch burl, it is made of 50/50 wood and plastic. It is very comfy to hold in my hand and to drink from, and it just seems more at home in the backcountry than my REI cups. This cup has become one of my luxury items...

Panzer1
05-06-2011, 00:48
you have to have a cup.

Panzer

mark schofield
05-06-2011, 06:37
absolutely

Two Tents
05-06-2011, 07:11
I also use the Kupilka 21. It just feels right. I have not carried any of the other cups or mugs I have since getting the 21. Yea it's pricey but I ain't taking no money with me when I die. I only wish it held a little more volume. When I use it for measuring I can eyeball how far to fill it for a one cup guesstimate.

Jake76
06-08-2011, 22:22
I went with pill-form caffeine...Walmart brand Vivarin (200mg caffeine) 16 pills for $0.78...very light weight and much quicker than brewing a cup.

This worked last weekend for a section hike...I imagine I'd miss coffee very quickly though.

SouthMark
06-08-2011, 23:15
mcdonald's - cheap, sturdy, easy to replace.

+1........

Espero
06-09-2011, 02:55
I've been toying with the idea of taking a Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner Cup for the first evening meal, then saving the cup for the next, and subsequent, morning coffee. I've tried it in my kitchen by filling the cup with boiling water and letting it sit in my pot cozy for about 10 minutes. It's a little soupy so I'm going to tweak it by adjusting the water and sitting time. The cup works pretty good for coffee.

mark schofield
06-09-2011, 06:20
I was at Campmor a month ago and got one of these
http://www.backcountry.com/gsi-outdoors-gourmet-nesting-mug-and-bowl

Uncle Tom
06-09-2011, 06:29
You can't go wrong with the foldable Orikaso cup hat packs flat in your back. Also flexible enough to extract water from shallow sources.

LBJ
06-09-2011, 08:01
Hi, I am looking for a light cup for morning coffee. What do you use??
Greg

REI double-wall titanium mug.

Pedaling Fool
06-09-2011, 08:18
Why do I feel slightly embarrassed posting this:o

http://a1.zassets.com/images/z/1/3/0/1302093-p-DETAILED.jpg

SMSP
06-09-2011, 17:32
Lately, I’ve been using an MSR Titan Kettle along with the Wal-Mart Mainstays brand shaker/mixer cup. I use the Kettle to boil 3 cups of water. Add whatever water is needed for the meal, which can be anywhere from 8-16 ounces, then the leftover water is for my hot beverage (tea or coffee). The shaker/mixer cup is plastic, lite (2.5 ounces), has measurement markings along the side, has a handle, holds 16 ounces of beverage and on screw on lid with a pour spot a.k.a. a sippy spout with a mini flip lid. What I like about this shaker/mixer cup is that once I make my hot beverage, I can screw the lid on and allow the hot beverage to steep. The lid keeps any critters out as well. I have two of these cups because when I first came across them I cut the handle off one (experimenting) and the weight savings was not significant and the added the complication of holding a hot plastic cup w/o any insulation. Also, these are cheap, like around $2-3. They can also be used for the powder drinks. Since most of the powder drink packets out there require 16 ounces of water, it’s perfect for mixing.
And on last benefit, while storing this shaker/mixer cup in your pack, I put my beverage items (coffee, tea and powder mixes in a zip lock baggie and then stuff it in the shaker/mixer.

http://www.viewpoints.com/Mainstays-Two-Cup-Mix-and-Serve-review-152f11

SMSP

DaveSail
06-09-2011, 17:43
I'm looking for something as simple and high - quality
as the " Soloist " , but with a lid that can be used as
a fry - pan .

David V. Webber

The Snowman
06-17-2011, 18:39
I favor my white plastic AMC travel mug on most trips. keeps drinks hot and has a tight cover.

ed short
06-23-2011, 23:56
I use a foam cup like from a fast food place, actually I double it, stays hot a long time, replace as needed. In a pinch use a 12 oz cleaned out soda can. Easy to come by and cheeeep!gnome

Olddog
08-27-2011, 11:30
Just came over from the hammock forum. Thought I might add this. Was in the local Walmart recently and found 4 IMUSA cups. Had heard about them but had never seen one. Picked up one to check it out, got home and was looking for something to act as a lip guard, found this coffee can lid to be a perfect fit. Will work as a lid or with the center removed a lid. Returned to the WM the next day and they were sold out!

Lyle
08-27-2011, 12:05
The small, one cup storage bowl with cozy from my Antigravity Gear "Mamma's Kitchen" that I've used for years now.

vamelungeon
08-27-2011, 20:34
Sierra cup with a folding handle. Multi-purpose item.

vamelungeon
08-27-2011, 20:41
Sierra cup with a folding handle. Multi-purpose item.
Like this one but titanium...
http://www.rei.com/product/765762/rei-campware-sierra-cup

LDog
08-27-2011, 22:21
We each have an MSR Titan Cup. 13 oz capacity, weighs 1.9 oz. Spendy but light and tough. Allows us to drink our coffee while cooking breakfast. Well, that's my excuse for carrying an extra cup. Oh yeah, I can dip water out of streams with it, and cook with it.

shelterbuilder
08-28-2011, 15:36
Still using my old Sierra cup. It's steel (weighs 4 oz), wire rim wicks the heat away from your lip so you don't burn it on the cup (just the coffee), good shape for dipping out of spring puddles or small streams. I keep it in an outside pack pocket. Exactly 8 fluid ounces at the rim, so it makes a decent makeshift measuring cup. Wish it held more coffee, though, the way I gulp it in the mornings! Still, haven't found anything better, although I keep monitoring threads like this for ideas. one day, one might come.
I think that Coulghan's (?) is still making a 12 oz. version of the Sierra cup - I picked one up from Campmor several years ago, and I think that I saw one at Cabela's store in Hamburg last summer when I stopped by to browse. There is also a lid that someone makes for this, so it can double as a 2nd pot (or become a primary pot for the weight-conscious). The shape of the cup is GREAT for dipping from small seeps....

MommaDuck
08-28-2011, 15:49
I love and use my Sea 2 Summit collapsible mug. Cute colors too and 2.4oz.

MyName1sMud
09-14-2011, 12:22
I use my Snow Peak cup... It works

Renee'
09-14-2011, 12:34
I use a plastic mug I got at Thunder Scout Reservation many years ago. I cut the handle off and it fits inside my pot and my stove fits inside my mug. I made marks on the onside with a marker for 1 cup measurement. I also use my wool cap as a cozy.

Geoff Glen
10-27-2011, 09:00
My coffee mug looks exactly like the cups starbucks uses. I got that from my mom for my birthday.

sly dog
10-27-2011, 09:32
Go ultralight, just use your hands. But seriously, I have a sturdy one made of some type of plastic I found at wally world. It was a four pack for a couple bucks. In winter I have a bubbabrand tumbler that is amazing at keeping my coffee hot for hours.

Tipi Walter
10-27-2011, 10:01

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-LaKc8GVgc0k/TIJ7KhHIRPI/AAAAAAAAA7U/wNF06ZTUJlw/s640/Chickasaw%20Creek%20Workday%20and%20Sierra%20Cup%2 0029.jpg
This was the only cup carried by backpackers for years, and it was part of my standard load back in the 1970's and '80's. I carried a Svea 123 stove and this cup would sit on top and could be heated and even in a pinch cooked out of, like morning oats. Other larger sierra type cups came out, and then off course the blue enamel cups which held more, all usable atop a stove---just watch out for the hot handles---and burnt lips.

Lyle
10-27-2011, 10:08
When I got my Antigravity Gear "Mamma's Kitchen", it came with a Glad one-cup plastic container with a cozy and lid. Recently, I've been using this, works very well. It's my measuring and drinking cup. Plus, it stores inside my pot and holds the stove and accessories inside of it. Makes for a very compact kit.

Tinker
10-27-2011, 10:35
http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/snow-peak-titanium-3-piece-cookset-2
I use the larger pot, which goes inside my Evernew 1.3liter ti pot. I put my filter basket (one of the reusable ones you can buy at the store for your coffee maker at home) into the snow peak cup when I store my cookware. Inside the filter goes a Supercat stove (in a plastic bag). I usually carry ground coffee in a ziplock which I store in my cookpot along with a lighter and some spices. If my cookpot isn't full of other gear, I'm wasting space in my pack. I make coffee by boiling water in the big pot (making sure it's not so deep that it will overflow the filter and wash the grounds into the water), taking it off the burner (or fire), putting grounds into the filter, swishing it around a few times, then I remove it and dump the grounds (in a firepit if available, or I scatter them in the woods). They'll burn or decompose one way or the other. Makes good coffee quickly and easily.

Two benefits to a metal cup 1) It won't crack in the cold of if it gets stepped on accidentally, 2) If I get busy packing up and the coffee gets cold I can put the cup on the stove and reheat it.

swjohnsey
10-27-2011, 14:22
I use a cut down Folgers 1lb plastic "can". It fits inside my .9 l Evernew titanium mug/pot. I brew cowboy coffee in the Evernew pot and strain it through an old sock (actually a piece of nylon window screen) into the Folgers "coffee cup".

Lyle
10-27-2011, 19:24
The small, one cup storage bowl with cozy from my Antigravity Gear "Mamma's Kitchen" that I've used for years now.

When I got my Antigravity Gear "Mamma's Kitchen", it came with a Glad one-cup plastic container with a cozy and lid. Recently, I've been using this, works very well. It's my measuring and drinking cup. Plus, it stores inside my pot and holds the stove and accessories inside of it. Makes for a very compact kit.

Dang, I hate it when these threads re-activate without warning, and I don't notice. At least I didn't embarrass myself by giving different answers. :-)

daddytwosticks
10-28-2011, 07:30
At least you are consistent...I'm still learning! Every few months I'm trying something new. :)

moytoy
10-28-2011, 08:01
IMUSA cup with silicone wristband stretched around the top to save my lip. I cook and fix my meals in this cup also.

LDog
10-28-2011, 11:15
silicone wristband stretched around the top to save my lip

Good Idea.

Tinker
10-28-2011, 11:26
Is that IMUSA cup aluminum? That would, perhaps, explain why you need a lip guard to keep from burning your lips. I learned a long time ago that aluminum is good for cooking, not so good for drinking from. It is an excellent heat conductor (right up to your lips, in this case). Thin stainless or titanium won't need a lip guard (though stainless is probably heavier and titanium is definitely more expensive). I've tried all the "cheap hiking tricks" and have a closet full of stuff used once or twice in the name of "science".
The silicone lip guard is a good thing to have on an aluminum cup for drinking. Just don't try to reheat your coffee with the lip guard on, and make sure you remove the lip guard when you wash the cup or you might have a nice "germ factory" going on under it.

I have some small stainless cups I could part with (though the shipping cost would make it cost prohibitive, even if I gave them away). If anyone's looking for a metal cup, send me a PM and I'll tell you what I've got. Pay the shipping and it's yours.

QiWiz
10-28-2011, 11:35
I use an Arizona Tea can, top cut off, silicone band for lip, homemade reflectix cozy - also serves as Caldera Cone caddy. A one-ounce insulated mug that holds >2 cups and also serves as the Cone caddy. Can you dig it?

Rocket Jones
10-28-2011, 20:34
I used to use a strip of duct tape on the IMUSA aluminum cup to keep from burning my lips. I've since switched to the REI measuring cup, which I really like.

Emu
04-05-2012, 08:46
I use this for my coffee and my powdered beverages. It's the 16oz version. It is a multuse item.
http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor//static/images/acc/80896.jpg
I use the 16 oz. Nalgene as well, sometimes with a Neoprene sleeve from Wal-Mart. Even without the sleeve it keeps coffee hot for a surprisingly long time. Makes a good hand warmer while you're drinking too. You can put it in your jacket to keep yourself and/or the coffee warm. It also can be used to mix powered drinks, milk or carry extra water. Like all Nalgenes, you can freeze water in it and use it as a temporary ice pack to keep food cold early in your trip, or to consume as ice water later. If you accidentally knock it over while the lid is screwed on, you don't lose your drink, as I have done with many a coffee cup.

2 Dogs
04-05-2012, 09:32

I've been using a Soloist since they came out / works great for me, I also keep a shorted Bud can with a neoprene cozy & cover for when I have other things to cook / for a stove I use a Super Cat & everything fits (Bud Can, Windscreen, stove, fuel (2-2.5oz bottles), lighter & spfoon fit into the Soloist, I also carry a 6oz back up bottle of fuel

Not as light as Ti - but the Alum heats faster

coach lou
04-05-2012, 10:43
My souvenir steel enamel cup from Tortola...... It has the recipe for Painkillers... just in case of emergency!

Lyle
04-05-2012, 13:44
I use an Antigravity Mamma's Kitchen stove/pot. Comes with a one cup Glad food storage bowl with a cozy. Lightest I've found, works great, keeps coffee hot.

Hawkwind61
04-05-2012, 13:53
Sea to Summit X-cup. I can set it into my cooking pot while having my morning coffee or evening tea.

dornstar
04-06-2012, 17:13
Sea to Summit X-cup. I can set it into my cooking pot while having my morning coffee or evening tea.

Same here. It's one of the few purchases that I'm not looking to replace.

Hawkwind61
04-06-2012, 21:57
Ditto! I even flatten it to use as a lid on my cooking pot. I am pretty sure I would flip a nutty if I lost it! LOL! ;)

Rif
04-06-2012, 23:36
Evernew 400ml Ti mug w/sippy lid for coffee, tea and broth. I heat it up in this same setup with a Gram Weenie (non-Pro model) alcohol stove. Stove, windscreen and tiny fuel bottle large enough for day hikes fits right in the mug.

gumball
04-07-2012, 05:51
I have a titanium mug for cooking, but I pour my coffee in a small nalgene bottle. Keeps it warm, and keeps my hands nice and warm. I don't like drinking out of the metal cup.

Gum

RETCW4
04-07-2012, 08:19
I use the bowl/cup from my GSI Pinnacle Soloist.

Tumbleweed

rocketsocks
04-07-2012, 09:32
A long long time ago in a land far far away,I cooked a cup of instant coffee in a"Sierra cup"took a sip,and burned the heck out of my lip..........Won't do that again!Operator error.

Rif
04-07-2012, 09:37
I have a titanium mug for cooking, but I pour my coffee in a small nalgene bottle. Keeps it warm, and keeps my hands nice and warm. I don't like drinking out of the metal cup.

Gum

Gum,

Not a bad idea especially if one wants to keep walking after making their brew. The Evernew, even with the sippy lid would not be as handy if on the move but is great for sitting idle. On cool or wet days I like to keep moving a bit even when snaking or drinking teo. The Nalgene would cut down on the burned lips too.

Sailing_Faith
04-07-2012, 09:52
McDonald's - cheap, sturdy, easy to replace.
Yup, Mickie 'D's makes a fine product... they even give you free coffee when you buy one of their UL cups.

Makes a fine wine glass to share with that special someone for those classy evenings too.

QiWiz
04-07-2012, 19:04
I use some kind of light plastic container that I've made a Reflectix cozy for. Examples would be 16 oz margarine tubs, or currently I'm using an inexpensive plastic bowl with lid from ziploc that come in three-packs for about $5. Hold 2 cups.Ziploc Twist 'N Loc Containers & Lids, Round, Small

2new2hang
04-07-2012, 19:29
I started looking for very light and multipurpose. I found Sgt. Rock's "Lemon Jar" idea, with a reflectix cozy to be perfect! Lightweight, multipurpose, and can have measurements marked off, or, top is one cup, bottom is two.

2new2hang
04-07-2012, 19:32
Oops, forgot his site address in case you were interested.
www.hikinghq.net

kayak karl
04-07-2012, 19:39
i use a plastic cup. doesn't burn my lips or freeze to my fleece gloves in winter.

Wise Old Owl
04-07-2012, 20:00
5000 + views and five pages about a cup?

johnnybgood
04-07-2012, 22:05
5000 + views and five pages about a cup? 7,636 posts and god knows how many views and that's all you got ??
Personally, I carry two Wawa cups (one extra in case I need it) with those fancy cup slippers to make it easy to hold when hot.

SMSP
04-07-2012, 23:53
We serious about which coffee cup works for each us! Haha!

SMSP

Mountain Mike
04-08-2012, 00:28
If you were sitting next to me before my cup of java I would pluck off a tail feather to use as a swizel stick! There are just some things not to mess with. Morning coffee is one of them.

Edwardo Rodriguez
04-08-2012, 02:34
I use a measuring cup that double to measure out my water for my food

coach lou
04-08-2012, 07:54

WOO... but it's a COFFEE cup, empires have been won and loss over a good cup of Joe.....okay marriages.

LDog
04-08-2012, 08:30
However, now I carry a Kupilka 21 (http://sticksblog.com/gear/kitchen/cups-mugs/kupilka-21-cup/).
I previously said I was using an MSR Titan cup. Even went out and got a Live Strong band to go around the lip. The day before I left for my thru attempt I got a birthday package in the mail from my son with a Kupilka. I love drinking my morning coffee out of it. It's great for dipping water out of streams. I lost the functionality of cooking with it. Otoh, it is a superior mixing bowl.

Recently at a shelter for lunch, I poured a cup of granola into it, and mixed in 2tbls of peanut butter and a bunch of raisins. Wonderful.

Wise Old Owl
04-08-2012, 08:53
Keep your pickin fingers off my feathers,,,,,

RWheeler
04-08-2012, 09:24
I just use a coffee cup from a gas station that I cut down a little bit to fit better. Styrofoam, fits in my cookpot perfectly with everything else, and if I end up using the Via, the cup is only about 8oz, which will help make the flavor a little stronger (which I like).

Odd Man Out
04-08-2012, 12:58
My problem is I like coffee in the AM, but tea in the evening. Tea tends to taste bad when consumed out of plastic cups that were previously used to hold coffee, no matter how much you clean them. I have been know to carry two cups, but would be interested if there are any tea snobs who can provide an UL alternative.

Wise Old Owl
04-08-2012, 13:39
Tea Snob? oh well - UL would be to use the boil pot for tea nested cup for java a sort of nested Ti/aluminum cup/pot.

One step creamer? Land of Lakes - Mini Moos work great in both - creamer in tea sucks.

vamelungeon
04-08-2012, 17:45
I like an afternoon cup of tea but I use my good old Sierra cup for that too.

Connie
04-10-2012, 15:13
I decided I can't wait for 3-cups of boiling water, so I can have my coffee and dinner.

At breakfast, it is worse to have to wait.

For that reason, I justified purchase of an Evernew Titanium Cup (EBY152).

It isn't all rationalization. One cup water heats faster. The titanium cools rapidly so the edge isn't a problem.

I nest the cup in my beanie hat sleepwear, that keeps my hot drink hot.

I feel more enlightened and more justified in spending the big $$$ after writing all this out. :p

Wise Old Owl
04-10-2012, 22:07
Connie has moved to the dark side.

jimmyjam
10-08-2012, 08:38
I use a one of those microwaveable single serving Campbell's soup cups. They are hard styro with an aluminum ring that reinforces the top and have a plastic lid.

Drybones
10-08-2012, 08:50
I use a lightweight insulated plastic cup given as a gift when visiting a church, haven't found anything yet that compares with it and I look every time I go in a store...weights 3 oz and holds 12-14 oz. I keep my coffee and filters inside it so I'm always ready to brew.

Hairbear
10-08-2012, 21:35
i use a mcdonalds cup and the pot from my cook set i boil a close to full pot of water.then i pour all but what it takes to make my oatmeal into the mcdonalds cup,making coffee.when my oatmeal is eaten i pour some of the coffee back into the pot and use it to clean the pot then drink it,repeat process till coffe is gone and the pot is clean.swirling and scraping with spoon helps.there is no calorie waste that way.

swjohnsey
10-09-2012, 17:11
For my alcohol rig I use the a cut off plastic 1 lb coffee "can" and for my gas rig I use a cut off 3 lb peanut butter jar. Both nest in the cooking pot.

Cadenza
10-11-2012, 20:08
I don't like morning people.
...or mornings
...or people
until after I've had my coffee.

I don't care what kind of cup that first cup is in.
As my mood improves, I get pickier about the cup. :p

Papa D
10-11-2012, 20:15
Backpacking
I liter MSR TI pot that I cook with. On shorter (luxury trips), I have a TI mug by MSR that nests and I might carry that too.

At home / work
When I'm not backpacking, I'd like to tell you that I use a re-fillable mug all the time (like the Patagonia mug my Mom gave me last year as a holiday gift). The problem is
that I leave these nice and rather expensive mugs at people's houses, offices, on job-sites and loose them and so forth and have to get new ones. My latest tact is to see how long I can use
and re-use a styrofoam cup - - the one in my sink right now (awaiting tomorrow morning's coffee) is about 8 days old - from Dunkin Donughts - I carefully wash it and re-use
it. For me, it's less wasteful to try to get two weeks out of a styrofoam cup than it is to loose nice steel and plastic mugs (that are probably Chinese made) - - just a thought

SunnyWalker
10-11-2012, 20:16
Snowpeak titanium cup with the orange dealie on the front to protect the lips. Works great and is fun. One could also put it on the stove(just remove the orange dealie then replace it when ready to drink).

Another Kevin
10-11-2012, 21:09
I'm such a clueless weekender that I use the cup from my GSI kit. The Real Hikers all laugh at me. :)

LDog
10-11-2012, 21:23
I originally was going to carry my MSR ti cup at 2ozs. But then I saw the Kupilka cup and had the totally irrational urge to have one. I put it on my Amazon wish list, and the day before I left for the trail, I got one in the mail. A birthday present from my son. I did what any one else would do. I ran into the kitchen and put it on my scale! ****! It's 3 ozs! What to do? Willingly increase pack weight by an oz? Just because it looks so good, and feels good in the hand? The ti cup can be put on the stove, but not this wood/resin thing. It does retain heat better ... And the round bottom makes mixing better ... And it was a gift from my son ...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_KYGXrObZXY/UGueRZ0ZrhI/AAAAAAAAEtE/zpkKEk7JqD0/s512/DSCF1095.JPG

Papa D
10-11-2012, 21:30
I originally was going to carry my MSR ti cup at 2ozs. But then I saw the Kupilka cup and had the totally irrational urge to have one. I put it on my Amazon wish list, and the day before I left for the trail, I got one in the mail. A birthday present from my son. I did what any one else would do. I ran into the kitchen and put it on my scale! ****! It's 3 ozs! What to do? Willingly increase pack weight by an oz? Just because it looks so good, and feels good in the hand? The ti cup can be put on the stove, but not this wood/resin thing. It does retain heat better ... And the round bottom makes mixing better ... And it was a gift from my son ...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_KYGXrObZXY/UGueRZ0ZrhI/AAAAAAAAEtE/zpkKEk7JqD0/s512/DSCF1095.JPG

oh, just tote the thing - you'll drop an ounce somewhere else - it looks pretty cool

LDog
10-11-2012, 21:45
oh, just tote the thing - you'll drop an ounce somewhere else - it looks pretty cool

I did. Love it.

Odd Man Out
10-12-2012, 14:43

You could "accidentally" break the handles off. That might get it closer to 2 oz. I have considered these before. 3 oz isn't bad, but capacity might be kind of small. (7 oz?)

T-Rx
10-12-2012, 16:37
I also carry a snow peak titanium cup with the orange lip protector thing on the front.

LDog
10-12-2012, 17:09
You could "accidentally" break the handles off. That might get it closer to 2 oz.

Nah, it's just about perfect as it is.

I have considered these before. 3 oz isn't bad, but capacity might be kind of small. (7 oz?)

Just measured it to be sure. It's 8 ozs when it's too full to avoid spilling hot coffee all over yer lap. 7 ozs is probably usable. Perfect for those pre-measured tubes of instant coffee. Doesn't burn the lips, holds heat pretty well, feels good in cupped hands on a cold morning.

oops56
10-12-2012, 17:59

get that fungus for fire starting it take a spark after its dry

nottelling
11-03-2012, 23:28
This came out of a Swedish army mess kit (like OD green tupperware)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41a3uF2A63L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Weighs about 30 grams.

I heat water in a military canteen cup, drink coffee and green tea out of the Swede folding cup and eat out of a ziplock bag. Works for me.

OzJacko
11-04-2012, 00:35
I'm a bit of a Neanderthal here.
My cup is stainless steel! It is about 450ml and 105gm (3.7oz).
Purchased for $1 from a Salvation Army store.
Has a lid (also SS). 43gm (1.5oz)
I have made a cozy.
Fits my Evernew Ti burner and stove set inside.
Total weght of the whole bundle (including half dish cloth) - 293 gm. Just over 10 oz.
I don't care that it may be considered heavy it suits me.
Between the cozy and the lid it keeps hot for a long time.
I can put it straight onto any flame including open fire (tricky to get off that though).
I drink soups, coffees and anything else I like out of it.

bannerstone
11-04-2012, 10:55
An insulated mug has had me on the fence for a while now but not wanting to give up pack space and ounces. I often make breakfast from the hammock and want to sip my coffee while I'm vegging a cold morning away with a book. Or sometimes I just want to make my cuppa jo and sip on it as I'm packing up and then have it hot in hand for a while to enjoy as I'm walking out of camp.

Either way, a couple that I like in the low 3oz to mid 4oz are these:

Sea to Summit http://www.backcountry.com/sea-to-summit-delta-insulated-mug
and the GSI http://www.backcountry.com/gsi-outdoors-infinity-insulated-mug

Certainly there are other good compromizes and DIY options, reflectix cozies, etc. I have learned that a lid is the low hanging fruit of heat retention and a sip lid seems to me like a worthwhile luxury for the benefit. I guess an insulated cup makes more sense for me in cool/cold outings where I spend more time in camp and I'm more likely to make hot beverages in the evening as well.

David

colorado_rob
11-04-2012, 11:43
An insulated mug ...

Sea to Summit http://www.backcountry.com/sea-to-summit-delta-insulated-mug

Yep, I like to sip my coffee slowly, but still like it hot, so a requirement for me is for it to be insulated, so I use this Sea to Summit. 3.4 ounces w/o the lid. I don't use the lid. I also require the 16 oz volume this one has (meaning a ~14 oz cup O joe). Sure would like to find something lighter, but it has to be insulated and ~16 ounce capacity.

Raymond James
11-04-2012, 13:11
I still carrry the plastic cup with measuring marks on it that I bought at a yard sale in 1968. It is part of a girl scout mess, I still use the aluminum plate and the spoon.

FarmerChef
11-12-2012, 12:48
I use the open country plastic measuring cup. It costs $1.50 at REI and weighs in at a whopping 1oz. To augment it's coffee holding properties, I built a <1 oz cozy for it out of reflectix. Did I mention it's a measuring cup? Makes measuring water for different recipes or pouches easy and has a hole so we just clip it to a beaner on the outside of our pack. Love 'em. :D

G-FOURce
11-12-2012, 13:11
i have two single-wall Evernew Ti 400ml mugs (without the sipper lids), but i just picked up two GSI Infinity mugs. the weight difference is too insignificant to matter and i like the insulated wrap on the GSI mugs. if i could sew i would have made insulated wraps for my Evernew mugs but unfortunately i cannot...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0xpWXRM0POvvVh8WU7rgwWMmpaZClx ecJWta3RfRj_MEO3YTELQ

treesloth
11-12-2012, 14:03
As I look at this post and see that it's garnered over six (6) pages of replies, I cannot help but to be amazed that it's about...... wait for it....... a cup.

G-FOURce
11-12-2012, 14:05
As I look at this post and see that it's garnered over six (6) pages of replies, I cannot help but to be amazed that it's about...... wait for it....... a cup.

i initially thought the same thing, but then again i wanted to do what all the cool kids were doing so i chimed in, too...

FarmerChef
11-12-2012, 14:06
Me 2 :cool:

msumax1985
12-06-2012, 14:50
McDonalds coffee cup. They are very rigid, for what they are. The small size fits perfectly in my 700ml TI cookpot and my supercat fits inside the cup. So I'm saving them up and going to include one in each of my mail drops, as they will need to be replaced every so often. Or you can simply get a new one in trail towns with McDonalds. On the occasions that it breaks, I can just use my cookpot until I replace it.

Rasty
12-06-2012, 15:04
Coffee is serious stuff. Without coffee I would not get out of bed. Ever! I'm not paticular and will drink coffee out of almost anything.

Train Wreck
12-06-2012, 17:00
Coffee is serious stuff. Without coffee I would not get out of bed. Ever! I'm not paticular and will drink coffee out of almost anything.

How about a thru hiker's boot? :D

atmilkman
12-06-2012, 17:13
Now that would be seriously diehard.

Rasty
12-06-2012, 18:28
Now that would be seriously diehard.

Fill it with Starbucks and you might not tell the difference as long as its hot enough.:)

Train Wreck
12-06-2012, 18:34
Fill it with Starbucks and you might not tell the difference as long as its hot enough.:)

That's the first beverage you and I agree on!

LDog
12-06-2012, 22:29

Ahhh! Dual use!

Rasty
12-06-2012, 22:38

Ahhh! Dual use!

GTX version?

theinfamousj
12-06-2012, 23:52
I use a one of those microwaveable single serving Campbell's soup cups. They are hard styro with an aluminum ring that reinforces the top and have a plastic lid.

I do this too! Or sometimes I use the 1 cup or 2 cups little zip lock Bowl things that I wrapped in reflectix.

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Tapatalk 2

Odd Man Out
12-06-2012, 23:55
A contest is on - can we have more posts about coffee cups or toilet paper????

SassyWindsor
12-07-2012, 00:54
Currently I'm using the carafe of my coffee press. I unscrew the knob, remove the top, the screen keeps the coffee grinds at the bottom. Sometimes I'll use it for making other meals/soups, etc. Works real well, and the coffee or tea can't be beat when making it with a French press.

SassyWindsor
12-07-2012, 00:55
.....this French Press is the smallest one REI sells, so it's not too big.

Whiskyjo
12-07-2012, 01:31
I use a campmor thermo measuring mug. Plastic, weighs 6 oz holds 12oz and doubles for my hot oatmeal bowl in the morning then washed out with my coffee. 4.99

JAK
12-07-2012, 09:09
I haven't figured this one out yet. I'll keep thinking about it over my morning coffee.