PDA

View Full Version : A more practical pots question

Bootstrap
05-04-2011, 17:24
I've been using the same 2 coated aluminum pots since 2005. One holds 2 cups, and is great when it's just me. One holds 6-7 cups, it's overkill for even two people, takes up a lot of room in my pack, and is somewhat prone to bending.

I'd like something in the 3-4 cup range, about 750 - 1000 milliliters, maybe even as much as 1.4 Liters but only if its very conveniently shaped for the pack (and something that big might nudge me toward titanium). I'd like it to have a lid. I want the lid to stay on the pot when it's in my pack instead of popping off like the lids on my current pots. I'd like it to not bend up too much.

I'll usually use this with an alky stove, sometimes with a canister, probably never with wood.

Cheap is good. It doesn't have to be titanium, though I'm open to it. It certainly doesn't have to be designer yuppie. I'm open to making something or buying a grease pot or whatever.

jeffmeh
05-04-2011, 18:40
The Stanco Grease Pot is about 5 cups, and weighs in at 3.8 oz. if you replace the plastic lid pull with a binder clip wire. And cheap....

http://www.amazon.com/Stanco-Non-Stick-Grease-Strainer-Black/dp/B000MVTIOQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304548640&sr=1-1-catcorr

Amanita
05-04-2011, 19:22
The grease pot jeffmeh linked to is available at Kmart for about $7. It holds about a liter of water.

Walmart also has a grease pot, by Imusa, that holds about a liter and a half. The walmart pot weighs 7-8 ounces (also without the heavy original plastic lid handle) and is taller but smaller in diameter. It has an aluminum handle for pouring on the pot, but that adds to the weight.

I'm not sure what you mean by "coated" but I wouldn't describe either of these pots as such. If you intend to cook directly in them I would recommend "seasoning" them to prevent leeching and corrosion. Google can provide instructions on how to do so.

Tinker
05-04-2011, 20:49
Re: the above posts.
Aluminum can pit if salt is used in cooking, then it can be hard to clean well (coated or anodized pots mostly solve this problem).
Titanium tends to get very hot just above the heat source. Not a problem for an alcohol stove, but it could be if simmering food over a canister stove.
Stainless is pretty heavy but nearly bulletproof, and doesn't have either of the above problems (if you use some cooking oil when cooking sticky food).
If you use your cookset as storage in your pack (put your condiments and small items in it), it takes up virtually no space, regardless of its size.

jeffmeh
05-04-2011, 21:11
Seasoning an aluminum pot is as simple as washing it, filling it with water, then boling for an hour. The formerly shiny interior should now have a dull look, which is the oxide layer, or "seasoning." Avoid cleaning with an abrasive cleaner or pad that would make it shiny again, or repeat the boiling if you do. That works for cooking, or for brewing beer, or for boiling water to rehydrate meals on the trail. :)

Bootstrap
05-05-2011, 01:10
The Stanco Grease Pot is about 5 cups, and weighs in at 3.8 oz. if you replace the plastic lid pull with a binder clip wire. And cheap....

http://www.amazon.com/Stanco-Non-Stick-Grease-Strainer-Black/dp/B000MVTIOQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304548640&sr=1-1-catcorr

That looks great! I'll have to go visit one at K-Mart ...

Bootstrap
05-05-2011, 01:11
The grease pot jeffmeh linked to is available at Kmart for about $7. It holds about a liter of water.

Walmart also has a grease pot, by Imusa, that holds about a liter and a half. The walmart pot weighs 7-8 ounces (also without the heavy original plastic lid handle) and is taller but smaller in diameter. It has an aluminum handle for pouring on the pot, but that adds to the weight.

Is there any advantage to the Walmart grease pot over the K-Mart one if I don't need the larger size?

mweinstone
05-05-2011, 08:08
thats one sweet grease pot. lids bogus. all lids are. when you cookwithout a lid your like a biker without a helmit. your screaming, hey world! here i am!.kinda. lidless cooking is the bomb. a lid is anthing layed over a thing. there everywhere for the haveing.bringing one with you is like bringing a date to a batchelor party, i would guess. anyway keep on cooking in here. cheap pots make you way cooler . my fancy shmancy msr ti pots a pussy.

Bootstrap
05-05-2011, 08:26
OK, Grease pot is a real contender. And definitely one of the cheapest options, which is good for a cheapskate like me.

On the higher end (and I have to keep this definitely below $50), I see things like this:

REI Pasta Pot
http://www.rei.com/product/797871/rei-ti-ware-pasta-pot

Snow Peak Trek 900
http://www.rei.com/product/768602/snow-peak-trek-900-titanium-cookset

REI Ti Ware Nonstick Titanium Pot - 0.9 Liter
http://www.rei.com/product/764181/rei-ti-ware-nonstick-titanium-pot-09-liter

Should I consider parting with that much cash, do these have significant advantages over the grease pot route?

mister krabs
05-05-2011, 08:56
There's also the 24oz capacity 2.4 oz IMUSA mug. With some tinfoil for a lid, you've got cheap easy and light.

http://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Aluminum_Cookware.html

TravelPro
05-14-2011, 00:24
Bigger is better. Titanium or stainless. I like the cheap dirtbaggy idea of the grease pots, but bottom line these are soft aluminum meant for storage, not cooking, and any way you slice it you're gonna wind up ingesting a lot of aluminum molecules with every swallow. I don't cook in aluminum at home, I won't do it on the trail. The few bucks you spend one time to get a decent titanium pot (check out Snow Trek 1.4L or Backcountry.com's 1.3 L) is an investment in not getting Alzheimer's any sooner than you have to.

Lyle
05-14-2011, 11:26
Haven't seen the Antigravity Gear 3-cup anodized pot mentioned. I've been using it for a number of years and it is still like new. Very easy to clean.

Purchase it with the cozy and you will save a substantial amount of fuel. Works well with most alcohol stoves as it is wider than deep, so takes advantage of the flame spread on most stoves. Tall, narrow pots tend to waste a lot of Btu's up the side.

That said, there are lots of good choices these days.

I tried a grease pot, same advantages of size and shape as the Antigravity, but it became pitted and started leaking after one season. Probably due to my neglect when packing it while wet. The anodized pot solves this shortcoming.

twsmith001
05-20-2011, 00:01
aluminum gives u oldtimers??? i always thought that was an old wives tale.......

Feral Bill
05-20-2011, 11:04
aluminum gives u oldtimers??? i always thought that was an old wives tale.......

A debunked hypothesis that won't go away.

LIhikers
05-21-2011, 19:14
I use the K-Mart grease pot and it works well with both my alcohol stove that I use for the warmer 3 seasons and my white gas stove that I use in winter. It's light weight, seems to transfer heat well, and is holding up just fine. If it has a down side, it's kind of big for one person. It works well for my wife and me.

For solo use I'm probably going to get the Anti Gravity 3 cup pot that you can see HERE (http://www.antigravitygear.com/antigravitygear-3-cup-aluminum-non-stick-cook-pot.html),just to save a little room in my pack.

gunner76
05-21-2011, 22:09
While I have a variety of pots, that KMart Grease pot is still my favorite, very light weight, low and wide making it very stable and under $10

mweinstone
05-21-2011, 22:17
worked at zitnerns easter egg factory summers as a kid. i loaded the cut roll machines. its a big submarene like wheel you turn to open a hatch and then you move the piston to the side and drop in blobs of hot buttercream or coconut filling. then you slam the hatch and spin the wheel to lock it. the piston was alluminum as was the chamber. when the last bit of filling was exstruded, a silver streak of aluminum clearly grey and alot of it, was mixed with the new. when you wipe a clean aluminum pot out with an oily peice of paper towel, you see the same grey particals of aluminum.

now, are you saying its good for you? or innert? nickle hypersensitivity is no joke for those of use who are sensitive to it.

mweinstone
05-21-2011, 22:20
i have an alluminum teflon coated scratched up old msr frypan. and a pitted aluminum saute pot at home. neither scare me. but i know there wrong. and if i were rich i would care.