View Full Version : FYI, later opening at Baxter State Park?

05-04-2011, 20:45
for SOBOs and anyone else interested, the latest from the Bangor Daily News:

05-04-2011, 20:47
What does this mean?

Is it still possible to hike Katahdin early june but camp elsewhere?

Red Hat
05-05-2011, 09:26
You should be okay in early June. The article says that the May 15th opening will probably be delayed due to heavy snow. I suspect that delay will only be a week or so. that said, be prepared for lots of snow melt and snow. Call the number to reserve a camping spot at Katahdin Springs.

05-05-2011, 09:41
Just got off the phone with them. They're going to do a full assessment May 12 to survey how much snow they have, and will have a better idea then. The lady I talked to didn't want to speculate, since it all depends on conditions and it hasn't really warmed up yet there and they may get hit with snow this weekend. She recommended that I hold on until they get the report back. They should have a better idea after the 12th and that information should be on the website. She said the Hunt trail is one of the first to open though. Hope this helps.

Personally, I'm still up in the air between a June 4 summit or June 11th.

05-05-2011, 10:57
I was wondering about this. I've been checking Baxter's site regularly and it just says winter is remaining in the park unusually long. Thanks for the article. We are still slated to summit June 6 and hoping that can happen ...

05-05-2011, 15:01
You'll be fine.

Have faith in Mother Nature, but do call the HQ after the 12th.

TJ aka Teej
05-11-2011, 15:16
This just in from Baxter HQ:
The Park Tote Road will be open by Saturday, May 14 from Togue Pond Gate to Abol Beach and the base of Abol Hill and from Matagamon Gate to Trout Brook Crossing and South Branch Pond. The Roaring Brook Road and the Park Tote Road north of Foster Field and west of Trout Brook Crossing will remain closed until at least May 20. All Katahdin-access trails at Roaring Brook, Abol and Katahdin Stream and Traveler Loop trails are closed to hiking.

05-17-2011, 16:53
I've called BSP again and the one lady said my target summit date of June 4th is probably not going to be possible. I asked her if June 11th would work and she was a little more optimistic, but wasn't going to endorse that fully either. Hopefully the sun can come out or some warm rain can fall

05-18-2011, 21:20
If what she said is true about summit possibilities being delayed til around the 11th, june 11 -18 could be a big week. Especially with all the sobo's already planning to start mid june.

A delay like that would be a nuisance for early starters, but at least the 100 mile will be filled with thrus.

Of course anything can happen with the weather

Just expressing some of my excitement, I am more than ready to be out of this ****ty college apartment and in the woods:sun

05-19-2011, 07:31
The recent weather conditions for the last week have been ideal for snow melt, wet and foggy, which tends to burn out the snow just as fast as sunny days. The biggest issue is that the roads probably wont dry out, and that usaually is a condition of when they open they trails up the mountain. Its going to be close for June 4th.