PDA

View Full Version : AT hiker arrested in Pawling

Deb
05-05-2011, 10:08
Here is a local story. Short on details.

http://hpnw.org/2011/04/appalachian-trail-hiker-arrested-for-alleged-theft-of-pawling-rec-center-food/

max patch
05-05-2011, 10:12
He probably thot the rec center was the site of a pre-planned hiker feed.

10-K
05-05-2011, 10:14
$2500 cash / $10,000 unsecured bond for some food sounds like they're going to make an example out of him.

Rain Man
05-05-2011, 10:47
$2500 cash / $10,000 unsecured bond for some food sounds like they're going to make an example out of him.

Yeah, sounds a bit like "Les Miserables." Stealing a bit of food is a felony? Give me a break. Unless he hijacked a semi-truck, stealing some food should be a misdemeanor. Save the felony tag for serious crimes. Far too many "petty" crime definitions have not kept up with inflation and are now prosecuted zealously way beyond their place on the spectrum of harm to society and persons. IMHO.

Having said that, thieves should be prosecuted (just not like they're rapists or murderers).

Rain:sunMan

10-K
05-05-2011, 10:52
You have to admit, stealing food is rather.. uh... unsmart.

The only way I can see myself stealing food is if I were driven by hunger.

Food is the one thing most people would give you if you asked for it.

DareN
05-05-2011, 11:08
Agree with Rain Man. Real crimes have victims, no victim, no crime. If he did steal a low dollar value of food items, then he committed a misdemeanor at best. But no, some prosecutor and LEO's need to make an "example" of him. They would add a burglary charge if he entered the rec center building to steal the food, that he entered the building with the intent of committing a crime therein. This way they can threaten him with serious time in order to take their "deal".

88BlueGT
05-05-2011, 11:10
It does seem a little extreme but that's the price you pay when you steal something, no matter the value.

88BlueGT
05-05-2011, 11:11
Agree with Rain Man. Real crimes have victims, no victim, no crime. If he did steal a low dollar value of food items, then he committed a misdemeanor at best. But no, some prosecutor and LEO's need to make an "example" of him. They would add a burglary charge if he entered the rec center building to steal the food, that he entered the building with the intent of committing a crime therein. This way they can threaten him with serious time in order to take their "deal".

Exactly. This way they can drop the felony, hold the misdemeanor and probably have him pay some astronomical fine :rolleyes:

Skidsteer
05-05-2011, 11:17

Or they just want to make sure he shows up in court instead of hiking on.

d.o.c
05-05-2011, 11:22
they should just make him do some comunity service or somthin this seems a bit blown up....punishment should fit the crime..

Old Hiker
05-05-2011, 11:36
No victim, no crime?

How about the taxpayer who has to pay for any replacement food? Repairs to the doors, locks, whatever?

Let's give everyone a slap on the wrist no matter what - that'll deter them.

Old Grouse
05-05-2011, 11:40
You're looking at this the wrong way. The burglary was the felony - i.e. breaking into the rec center at night for the purpose of stealing something. Because what he stole was food of relatively little value, the theft itself was the misdmeanor.

chief
05-05-2011, 11:45
they should just make him do some comunity service or somthin this seems a bit blown up....punishment should fit the crime..
Yeah, he's a hiker, therefore "entitled" to easy treatment. By now, Pawling should know hikers are special!

sherrill
05-05-2011, 11:51
A good lawyer will plead it down to criminal trespass, he'll pay a fine plus restitution for damages, and hike on.

d.o.c
05-05-2011, 11:58
i didnt say hes entitled to anything... but i doubt he stole a cow or a goat or stole $10,000 worth of food either so i think forceing him to work for that comunity fits this crime more than jail and large fines and tax payer money to house his ass in jail for a tiny amount of food... i also missd the breaking in part at first..

paistes5
05-05-2011, 12:37
Lot's of sympathy here for the thief. How about instead of some rec center he was stealing food out of hikers packs? Would there be as much sympathy? A thief is a thief is a thief.

Lion King
05-05-2011, 12:40
screw this guy.

The need for food I can see, but ask, dont break into somewhere, hikers get a bad enough rap.

way to go assfacedumbstick, now we will lose that park as a welcome camp.

Once again, thank you ******** who ruin things on trails.

Spokes
05-05-2011, 13:01
...Stealing a bit of food is a felony? Give me a break. .... IMHO.
Having said that, thieves should be prosecuted .

The burglary is the felony. Just like breaking and entering into your house would be.

Lion King
05-05-2011, 13:08
PS

I EAGERLY await Lone Wolfs response to this idiots actions

WingedMonkey
05-05-2011, 13:08
I stayed at the recreation center during my 1995 thru. Even then it was out of the way and used by few, but I needed resupply and laundry.
I can't think of a good reason for a non thru hiker to even walk the 3 miles in and out of town.
The town has allowed hikers to sleep there for all this time and to have some one screw it up is just amazing. A small town like this should take it serious when some one breaks in or damages it's park. No one could be that hungry in a place where any one would feed you if you needed it. If he could walk that far he couldn't be doing it just for food. He did it cause he thought he could get away with it.
So what happens now when a hiker "needs" to use the town park? Are they gonna find a big sign that says closed after dark? Is the town going to look at some one carrying a pack through town as a potential thief?
It only takes one to ruin it for everyone.

Wolf - 23000
05-05-2011, 13:36
Just to keep things in prospective. Right now he is charged with a crime not found either guilty or not-guilty. What was his intent and what was he doing in the Rec Center might have been different than what he left with. He may have only left with food but could have been looking for other things to take as well. Either way, him entering a place that he had no permission to enter is wrong.

Toolshed
05-05-2011, 13:44
Burglary, Vandalism on some level of "government owned" property. Bastard's guilty. Nuff Said. Don't try to rationalize away crime....

Tuckahoe
05-05-2011, 13:53
You're looking at this the wrong way. The burglary was the felony - i.e. breaking into the rec center at night for the purpose of stealing something. Because what he stole was food of relatively little value, the theft itself was the misdmeanor.

I have to side with Old Grouse and Spokes here. Aaron king has two charges against him, the felony charge of burglary for the breaking and entering of the rec center and the misdemeanor charge of petty larceny for the theft of the food items.

He's not charged with a felony because they want to make an example of him and its not an overreaction to the theft of the food. That felony charge is because he broke into a building where he was not permitted to be to commit a theft. Had it been only the theft of food all he would be facing would be the misdemeanor petty theft charge, and probably not even that.

STEVEM
05-05-2011, 14:15
Look at the date on this story. The incident happened sometime before 04/14/11. This must have been settled long ago. If he's still in jail I'm sure he's eaten far more than what he was accused of stealing.

Beachcomber
05-05-2011, 14:41
Look at the date on this story. The incident happened sometime before 04/14/11. This must have been settled long ago. If he's still in jail I'm sure he's eaten far more than what he was accused of stealing.

Settled long ago? No court system I know of would dispose of a criminal matter that quickly. Bail was set to ensure he comes back for a court date likely months in the future. After which he may well end up with community service/restitution after a plea bargain, as several have suggested.

Wise Old Owl
05-05-2011, 14:59
So there are few "Aaron N. King, age 22" in Pennsyslvania.... Anyone found his facebook? His WB name?

mweinstone
05-05-2011, 15:11
im 50. been hungry. never stole. ever. lately i look at food and worry. i pulled up to acame and rode away with my money. i cant buy food. havent been able to in a long time. im liveing off friends resturants scraps for errands i do. i look for work every day. but my hair is scruffy , my clothes torn and stained. and i look tired and sad. but im not. inside im on fire with hope and plans and love. and i wont be stealing untill its life or death. and thats not happening today. i still got all kinds of handouts between me and stealing. ive gone to bed hungry and woke up hungry 95% of the days and nights of the last year or more. and my one thing ill never ever pawn for food is my honesty and faith in my gigantic, yet oftimes sluggish in the morning...god.

JAK
05-05-2011, 15:19
Well, now that we got Osama, someone else has to be public enemy #1.

Phreak
05-05-2011, 15:20
Burglary, Vandalism on some level of "government owned" property. Bastard's guilty. Nuff Said. Don't try to rationalize away crime....
Well said. You can't commit a crime and then b*tch about the punishment.

mweinstone
05-05-2011, 15:25
my friend who worked in washington says one day crime will be impossible with money when its made foolproof. i dont know, but prisons need to be doundons with rats and disece or country club islands with real rehab. but makeing them just places of no freedom and collages of crime aint it.

hikerhobs
05-05-2011, 16:06
Lot's of sympathy here for the thief. How about instead of some rec center he was stealing food out of hikers packs? Would there be as much sympathy? A thief is a thief is a thief.
Good point .....!

DareN
05-05-2011, 16:32
If he stole the food, then yes there is a victim and a crime. He owes some form of restitution to the rec center for at a minimum the value of what he stole. This is a very short article without much detail about the burglary part. It states that "he stole numerous food items from the town's recreation center" without going into any detail about how he stole those items. Did he physically break in to the rec center, or did he just lift some stuff off the counter while it was open to the public. I don't know and the article doesn't say. But burglary is a serious felony that can carry state time, and many have been charged with it for something as simple as the latter. Yes a thief is a thief that can give us all a bad name and rep on the trail.

Hooch
05-05-2011, 16:35
. . . .A thief is a thief is a thief.Well said. Severity of the charges aside, no one likes a thief. Bottom line, he commited the crime, now he has to face the consequences for it, whatever they may be.

Jim Adams
05-05-2011, 16:58
There is nothing in this article that states that he is a thru hiker. Pretty weird place to be on April 14 if you're thru hiking. He could just be a bum with a pack like the guy at Hawk Mt. and Low Gap. It could have been assumed that he was a thru hiker just because he had a pack. Either way it still makes thru hikers look bad...that's the worst part. Backpackers may take a bad rap there from now on and he may not even be a hiker.....I see tons of school kids with backpacks every day that are not hikers.

geek

Dogwood
05-05-2011, 18:03
I'm familiar with Murrow Park. I have slept there as an AT thru and section hiker. They have a shelter or two out of the way just for such use and a large covered picnic pavillion with fireplace. Some short trails. It's quiet at the AT shelter. They also have seasonal showers and a swimming lake. I like the lake becuase it's shallower so it's usually warm when I've been there. It's a short walk from the downtown area. I have always done my laundry downtown at the laundromat.

The Pawling community, as well as the local police department, including authorities who patrol that park have graciously accommodated hikers. The police, while doing their duties, were very nice without chips on their shoulders to me when they checked me out in the park on two different ocassions. On one of the ocassions I encounterd a cop, he even offered me food! Mcdonald's. No shart! On another ocassion I saw no one there.

He did more than steal food! He was also charged with burglary which I think means he broke into a building. If I'm remembering correctly, there is a food/snack building and the rec center. Seems he broke into one of those buildings.

There are ways of getting a bite to eat without having to resort to larceny and burglary. I don't know the particulars, but what's one night without food for a thru-hiker? The next morning with some determination, communication, and honesty I'm fairly confident he could have went downtown and got something to eat!

$2500 cash / $10,000 unsecured bond for some food sounds like they're going to make an example out of him. 10-k

This may not be because he's being made an example of! He's a hiker, meaning he probably doesn't live in the area. They want him to answer to these charges without fleeing. He's a flight risk! Larger bonds are given in accordance with the degree of charges and potential flight risk.

I think after all the AT hikers that have stayed in that park, Pawling realizes not every hiker acts like this! It's the rare exception not the norm!

It does brink up a SIGNIFICANT point though! I learned from some responsible conscientious AT thru-hkers long ago, some you would recognize here on WB if I mentioned their names, that WHEN WE HIKE WE ALL ARE REPRESENTING THE HIKING COMMUNITY. WHAT WE DO REFLECTS ON OTHER HIKERS, INCLUDING THOSE WHO WOULD COME AFTER US!!! Hiking is not just about me me me!!!

Dogwood
05-05-2011, 18:21
There is nothing in this article that states that he is a thru hiker. Pretty weird place to be on April 14 if you're thru hiking. - Jim Adams

Absolutely!

Although, I think most of us know the differences between AT thru-hikers, AT section hikers, or homeless people staying on the AT, Pawling may not be aware of the differences. They may just lump all the situations together taking it as: someone(claiming to be? ) hiking the AT was arrested after breaking into a building(structure) and stealing food? at Murrow Park. These situations can bring defamation to anyone on the AT that comes into Pawling. These situations can easily lead to labeling of all hikers as ???

TIDE-HSV
05-05-2011, 18:27
FYI, if you don't have permission to enter a building, and you turn the knob on an unlocked door and enter, then, in almost all states, you've committed "breaking and entering/burglary." You don't really have to "break" anything. The breaking is a linguistic anomaly. One trespass count at common law is "Quare clausum fregit," or "whereby he broke the close." The "close" was the house and the immediately surrounding outbuildings. The "breaking" was entering the perimeter without permission. The bare language of the charge doesn't tell one anything. He could have simply turned the knob of a door to food which he thought had been offered. IOW, don't judge until you really know the facts...

LIhikers
05-05-2011, 18:27
Your ALL missing the important point.
The article said they recovered the food items....was that before or after he ate them??? :eek:

WingedMonkey
05-05-2011, 18:38
He could have simply turned the knob of a door to food which he thought had been offered. IOW, don't judge until you really know the facts...
LOL I want to see the judge's face when the defendant says that.

TIDE-HSV
05-05-2011, 18:43
LOL I want to see the judge's face when the defendant says that.

Let me simplify - just entering a building to which you haven't been granted access is breaking and entering. Prosecutor love to "stack charges" as a bargaining process. Not knowing the facts, I have no way to judge (judging without the facts is popular around here.) However, I doubt that the facts will turn out to be quite as florid as the press...

Dogwood
05-05-2011, 18:45
Um, thanks for the legal backround about where the term breaking and entering comes from. Those who might not have already been aware of that might appreciate knowing this.

For myself, I'll still say without legal ambiguity he broke into a building, meaning he can be charged with breaking and entering without physically having to break anything!

TIDE-HSV
05-05-2011, 18:53
Um, thanks for the legal backround about where the term breaking and entering comes from. Those who might not have already been aware of that might appreciate knowing this.

For myself, I'll still say without legal ambiguity he broke into a building, meaning he can be charged with breaking and entering without physically having to break anything!

Yep. If he spied a sandwich on a table through a window where he'd previously been fed, and opened the door, entered and took it, then that would support the charges as filed. It probably wasn't that innocent - but it could have been. We just don't know the facts and may never...

Wise Old Owl
05-05-2011, 18:55
I am amazed we are discussing the charges when stacking is the norm. And Dogwod your above post is strange, burglary & B & E almost the same thing and why are we discussing it...

Dogwood
05-05-2011, 18:58
...just entering a building to which you haven't been granted access is breaking and entering. Prosecutor love to "stack charges" as a bargaining process. - Tide-HSV

Prosecutors do engage in stacking charges quite commonly.

But he was charged with two crimes because he alledgedly committed two crimes.

He broke into a building, that is he entered a building, whether by force or not, supposedly without permission - Burglary. This certainly can be expanded though to include a conveyance, structure(boat, shed, etc), etc

and then he took something within a certain dollar range Petty Larceny.

Where's the stacking?

TIDE-HSV
05-05-2011, 19:03
...just entering a building to which you haven't been granted access is breaking and entering. Prosecutor love to "stack charges" as a bargaining process. - Tide-HSV

Prosecutors do engage in stacking charges quite commonly.

But he was charged with two crimes because he alledgedly committed two crimes.

He broke into a building, that is he entered a building, whether by force or not, supposedly without permission - Burglary. This certainly can be expanded though to include a conveyance, structure(boat, shed, etc), etc

and then he took something within a certain dollar range Petty Larceny.

Where's the stacking?

"Stacking" is placing as many distinct charges as you think might stick associated with any particular offense...

Dogwood
05-05-2011, 19:08
I think you might call Aaron and offer your services TIDE-HSV! LOL! Thanks for sharing! You look like lawyer!

Thanks WOO for grabbing my collar!

Rain Man
05-05-2011, 19:08
Bottom line, he commited the crime, now he has to face the consequences for it, whatever they may be.

Good point .....!

Well said. You can't commit a crime and then b*tch about the punishment.

screw this guy.

A thief is a thief is a thief.

As long as you would feel the same about some "stealth" camper getting charged with a felony. Or someone packing heat illegally. THAT is and should be a felony. Etc.

At least be consistent. I said he should be punished. But the punishment should fit the crime. Too many saying "Off with his head" like the deranged Queen in "Through the Looking Glass."

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. That applies to various crimes numerous self-righteous hikers commit every year "on government property." They'd cry like babies if they got charged with felonies and complain about "Barney Fife" rangers. I read such whining all the time on WB.

Wise Old Owl
05-05-2011, 19:09
Dogwood, He's right.

TIDE-HSV
05-05-2011, 19:13
I think you might call Aaron and offer your services TIDE-HSV! LOL! Thanks for sharing! You look like lawyer!

Thanks WOO for grabbing my collar!

LOL! I'm the furtherest thing from a criminal attorney. I'm more like a tax/estate/trust/business law guy. However, there are things that all competent lawyers know and I suspect that this guy is being made an example. I'm about to stick out my neck for the chopping on the "strange guy." Thread. See if you can defend me... :D

Dogwood
05-05-2011, 19:15
I know he's right! No argument from me! TIDE-HSV brings greater clarity to the thread!

Dogwood
05-05-2011, 19:29
I'm more like a tax/estate/trust/business law guy. However, there are things that all competent lawyers know... TIDE-HSV

Sensed that!

Latest Pawling newspaper headline:

Tax/estate/trust/business law guy, also AT hiker, successfully defends other AT hiker in Criminal Case. Defendant RORed. Defendant's charges reduced to trespassing after defendant agrees to make full restitution and pay $500 fine. Defendant's family applauds tax/estate/trust/business law guy, also AT hiker!

LOL!

I lived near a local courthouse. On tuesday nights when the court was in session my friends and I would sit in the back row, sometimes heckling prosecutors, defendants, and even the judge! We didn't last for too long though, until we were told to leave!

mweinstone
05-05-2011, 19:30
im a judge. and a jury. and a prossecuter.and an executioner and jailer and gravedigger and badmouther. after i woop a chump i badmouth his ars. my way saves the fed bucks and i take stuff from the bad guys .

Ashevillian
05-05-2011, 20:05
As long as you would feel the same about some "stealth" camper getting charged with a felony. Or someone packing heat illegally. THAT is and should be a felony. Etc.

At least be consistent. I said he should be punished. But the punishment should fit the crime. Too many saying "Off with his head" like the deranged Queen in "Through the Looking Glass."

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. That applies to various crimes numerous self-righteous hikers commit every year "on government property." They'd cry like babies if they got charged with felonies and complain about "Barney Fife" rangers. I read such whining all the time on WB.

How can you compare a stealth camper to someone who commits a crime such as B&E? What this guy did was wrong, plus makes the hiking community look bad.

weary
05-05-2011, 21:05
Well, I didn't think of it as a crime at the time, but this thread has changed my mind. After spending the night at the Iron Masters Mansion, I walked through the campground heading north -- only to pass a church group table sitting next to the trail, piled high with donuts. I eased by closely and snitched a jelly donut. Luckily, the only folks that noticed were the guys I was hiking with at the time -- including my 11-year-old grandson. All were appalled, as was I, but it didn't seem right to put the donut back, since it had been in my dirty hands. So I gulped it down and continued north.

peasantgirl
05-05-2011, 21:13
This article confuses me. For one thing, it's dated April 22, yet it says the court date was set for April 14th? So I thought maybe it was a typo and it was supposed to read MAY 14th, but it turns out that is a Saturday so that can't be it. :confused:

Which brought me back to the reported court date of April 14th, but, as best I can figure, he was arrested on the 19th. The article (dated April 22) starts out by saying "An Appalachian Trail hiker was arrested Tuesday"... that would clearly imply the previous Tuesday, the 19th, no? I've heard some AT hikers are obsessive planners but this guy managed to get his court date set before he even committed the crime?? :D

Then the reporter mentioned the court being closed on Saturday so I figured the story must have run on a weekend but that's not it either, as April 22 was a Friday. :-?

So, we don't even know if it has gone to trial yet.

Regarding the guy's status as a hiker - as already mentioned above early April is an unusual timeline for a thru-hiker. He's from PA so he could have been a section hiker but I wonder if he was homeless, which might explain why the bond was so high (flight risk). It's also possible he had a criminal background which would make him a repeat offender and wouldn't that warrant higher bond? I know nothing about law; is the bond based purely on the actual charge(s) and flight risk, or do they weigh other things like past convictions (or anything else, for that matter?)

Being slightly obsessive myself, I emailed the reporter to see if I could find out anything else. Will post if I get a response. I'm really curious now about the rest of this story.

Skidsteer
05-05-2011, 21:16
That settles it.

The guy was a Terminator.

Lone Wolf
05-05-2011, 21:17
thieves suck. no sympathy

Rain Man
05-05-2011, 22:04
How can you compare a stealth camper to someone who commits a crime such as B&E? What this guy did was wrong, plus makes the hiking community look bad.

I didn't. But I thank you for your comments, which support the principle of hikers breaking laws make us all look bad, and don't commit a crime, if you are not willing to do the time. And no cherry-picking crimes or rationalizing one's favorite crimes.

Rain Man
05-05-2011, 22:08
thieves suck.

I agree with Lone Wolf. Neighbor's home broken into today. I hope they catch the thieves.

Rain Man

sherrill
05-05-2011, 22:29
Yeah thieves suck. I agree.

Until this man is convicted, he's simply someone charged with a crime though. There's a difference.

Trailweaver
05-06-2011, 01:05
No one has mentioned this: Maybe he "only" stole say, $25.00 worth of food. Did he damage the building/door $500.00 worth when he broke in? I suspect that's where the expensive felony charge comes in. He is charged according to the law of the state he is in when he committed the crime - if it's over a certain dollar amount, it's a felony, not a misdemeanor. The DA's office can't just arbitrarily make the charge - it is based on what the law says they have to charge.

I used to work for a judge and he always said "They put themselves in jail; I just tell them how long they have to stay."

SMSP
05-06-2011, 01:39
If he's found 'guilty', which it looks to be the case, perhaps his sentence could be foot washing for tired hikers that rest in this park.

SMSP

Penguin
05-06-2011, 04:47
Then he might rob them while doing the foot washing. I say give him what he wants. He wanted free food, and in jail you get plenty of it, so put him there. The bum should be happy then.

Spokes
05-06-2011, 06:44
Too bad the Dutchess County Sheriffs Office doesn't post arrest mugshots. Very frustrating.

JAK
05-06-2011, 07:08
Too bad the Dutchess County Sheriffs Office doesn't post arrest mugshots. Very frustrating.
Apparently it is against national security interests.

Jim Adams
05-06-2011, 07:12
No such thing as free food....he eats, we pay.

geek

Sierra Echo
05-06-2011, 07:22

Dutchess County, huh?? His new trail name should be Dutchess! :D

mweinstone
05-06-2011, 07:24
maby the answer is to dip theives in green coloring that dosnt ever wash off head to toe.then put them in jail longer. i belive leaving them un diped is a mistake.

JAK
05-06-2011, 07:27
What if its the start of a peasants revolt?

Feral Bill
05-06-2011, 12:20
thieves suck. no sympathy

Petty thieves suck. Big time Wall Street thieves are a whole other level of sucking. They almost never get punished. Lets save the blood lust for those who really deserve it.

DripDry
05-06-2011, 13:04
I can't help but imagine trying to explain the "no victim/no crime" idea to a 10 year old. This is simple- don't take what doesn't belong to you, and don't go in places you don't belong. So it is OK if he stole $15 worth of food, but at $25 it is a crime? Sorry- I would eat my shoe before I stole food- from a house, a picnic table, a restaurant or center. Why is it OK- because we are LD hikers and the world owes us something? I remember a hostile owner putting out Snickers and asking for payment of 50 cents in a cup- he told me about half the hikers took them without paying. Hey- its only candy right? Please- wrong is wrong. Even a 10 year old can get that. Is it to much to assume a hiker can't? I don't know the details, and maybe there are some additional circumstances, but don't excuse theft because it is "petty".

bus
05-06-2011, 13:42

She shoots, she score! 5/5. :banana

Trailbender
05-06-2011, 14:01
I can't help but imagine trying to explain the "no victim/no crime" idea to a 10 year old. This is simple- don't take what doesn't belong to you, and don't go in places you don't belong. So it is OK if he stole $15 worth of food, but at $25 it is a crime? Sorry- I would eat my shoe before I stole food- from a house, a picnic table, a restaurant or center. Why is it OK- because we are LD hikers and the world owes us something? I remember a hostile owner putting out Snickers and asking for payment of 50 cents in a cup- he told me about half the hikers took them without paying. Hey- its only candy right? Please- wrong is wrong. Even a 10 year old can get that. Is it to much to assume a hiker can't? I don't know the details, and maybe there are some additional circumstances, but don't excuse theft because it is "petty".

I'd never steal food unless the alternative was to starve to death.

DripDry
05-06-2011, 17:33
In my rant, I should have said "hostel" vs. "hostile". I guess I am struggling with why anybody would try to justify this guy's actions. I get that the police may have overreacted with the charges, but stealing is still wrong in my book and isn't justified by the value of the theft (or location). If I was truly starving, I guess I might consider it if I had no other option- but there is a long way between "hungry" and "starving". I doubt he had walked that road. And just for the record- at the hostel I gave the owner a couple of extra bucks for the idiots that thought they were too important to pay for what they took. (OK- make that two rants- I am done now!).

Dogwood
05-06-2011, 17:49
WOW! So now it's Pawling or New York's fault that this young AT hiker was hit with Burglary and Petty Larceny charges?

Spokes
05-06-2011, 17:57
Thievery tends to be like eating potato chips, hardly anybody stops at just one.

peasantgirl
05-07-2011, 22:49

Already taken! :sun

GeneralLee10
05-07-2011, 23:09
screw this guy.

The need for food I can see, but ask, dont break into somewhere, hikers get a bad enough rap.

way to go assfacedumbstick, now we will lose that park as a welcome camp.

Once again, thank you ******** who ruin things on trails.

I agree with you 100%

JAK
05-07-2011, 23:40
Jus ti fy
To make a passing comment on without extreme outrage and condemnation.

Source: High Horse Dictionary - 21st Century Edition

WildTomato
05-08-2011, 23:06
Stealing another man's property is one of the oldest crimes in the world. :(

No mercy should be given to this thief. :mad:

A example should be set by the Hiker community that crime will NOT be tolerated on the trail, as to protect the A.T.

I do not want the A.T. and A.T. hikers ( thrus the most ) to get a bad reputation along the trail. :o

4Bears
05-09-2011, 09:55
Stealing another man's property is one of the oldest crimes in the world. :(

No mercy should be given to this thief. :mad:

I do believe in these United States that he needs to be found guilty first, then he can be cheerfully dealt with as the court deams fit. In this country the simplest of crimes can take over a year to come to court.

Spokes
05-10-2011, 05:55
Looks like the alleged thief was released early (http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20110509/NEWS05/110509016/Officials-Hiker-who-stole-food-released-from-jail-early?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|PoughkeepsieJournal .com) but what's even more amusing is the part where he says he started from Maryland in JANUARY!!

It just doesn't add up.

WingedMonkey
05-10-2011, 13:32
That news article calls him a thru hiker, but it is obvious he is one of them section hikers.
:D

Panzer1
05-10-2011, 13:49
I looks like he served 15 days of a 30 day sentence.

Panzer

Nean
05-10-2011, 14:21
They got tired of feeding him?:eek:

sherrill
05-10-2011, 14:31
A good lawyer will plead it down to criminal trespass, he'll pay a fine plus restitution for damages, and hike on.

Well, I don't know if he lawyered up or not. Usually the county will elect to get money instead of paying for food and deputy time. That would explain why his sentence was cut in half, though.

Panzer1
05-10-2011, 14:41
they probably never intended to keep him in jail for 30 days to start with. They force you into "good behavior" by promising you time off. This is partly to make it easier for the guards to handle you, partly so you don't make trouble for anyone else.

Anyhow, after 15 days in jail I'm sure he learned his lesson.

Panzer
(ps: its a proven fact that most criminals are non-hikers)

Spokes
05-10-2011, 15:12
Think he said "Dude, this is the best shelter ever"?

peasantgirl
05-11-2011, 00:51
Think he said "Dude, this is the best shelter ever"?

Spokes, thanks for following up on this. I emailed the original reporter and she answered by cc'ing me on an email she sent to another reporter who she thought was following the story, but he never replied. Very annoying :rolleyes:

I was insanely curious about this case, so thank you for your perseverance!

Dogwood
05-11-2011, 01:02
We should have a hiker feed in pawling.

Tinker
05-11-2011, 01:06
We should have a hiker feed in pawling.

They did.
It was at the jail.
You missed it. ;)

Spokes
05-11-2011, 07:14
Spokes, thanks for following up on this. .....

You're welcome peasantgirl.

Bare Bear
05-11-2011, 16:35
Why can't we all just get along?
I have never failed to feed anyone who was hungry that I had the ability to share with. There is an old saying in the South, "If I got a bisquit, you got half'.

Wise Old Owl
05-15-2011, 23:28
bisquit? - whats that?

Old Hiker
05-16-2011, 21:43
bisquit? - whats that?

That's when yore dog "Bis" won't quit a-sniffin' where he ain't a-welcome!