PDA

View Full Version : town update

wolf
01-25-2005, 20:14
:jump how is the town of front royal va. is it hiker frendly.also how is rock fish gap?

Footslogger
01-25-2005, 20:37
:jump how is the town of front royal va. is it hiker frendly.also how is rock fish gap?====================================
Front Royal is a bit spread out but it's got everything you need and the people (at least the ones I met) are friendly to hikers. Rock Fish Gap is really just a wide spot in the road with a visitors station.

'Slogger
AT 2003

The Old Fhart
01-25-2005, 21:38
Rockfish Gap is just a highway interchange with a visitor center, gas station, and a payphone. It is 4.5 miles to Waynesboro which is a good size city with everything you need including an outfitter. You can call a taxi or you can sometimes catch a ride if you wait.

Porter99
01-29-2005, 09:19
If the visitors center (it is located behind the gas station) at Rockfish Gap is open, they have a list of volunteers that will shuttle you into Waynesboro for free. The first place you will pass is Rockfish Gap Outfitters, it's a little farther in to town for Post Office, groceries, YMCA etc...

shades of blue
01-29-2005, 09:38
The list of volunteers is very helpful, and I had a great experience with them. The outfitters were very helpful with me trying to replace a broken pole. They didn't carry the brand, but gave me the number to call, and advice on how to talk them into shipping it to me quickly and at a low cost. It ended up being NO cost because of them. There is a great little greasy spoon type of place on the left, across from a laundry mat. I forget the name of the place, but the burgers were great!