PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof, Sliproof, Adhesive Tape

WalksInDark
05-05-2011, 11:55
Two years ago, I took a short course on wilderness first aid which was taught by a wilderness first-responder MD. During the course he told us about this "wonder" adhesive tape that really stays on in almost every circumstance. Problem is, now I want to go buy some of this "wonder" tape and can no longer remember what it is?

Does anyone know what the name of this "wonder" tape is? :-?

Supposedly, this "wonder" tape is one of the few adhesive tapes which will actually stay on an ankle or toe blister....regardless of how much you sweat or how wet your feet get. Also, the only other thing I remember about the tape is that it is only available on line and/or from specialty suppliers.

Any assistance will be appreciated!

Thanks In Advance!

Pete Moss
05-05-2011, 12:01
Is it Leukotape?

Mr Boston
05-05-2011, 12:39
Is it Leukotape?

Leukotape?

That's what I was thinking.

Spokes
05-05-2011, 16:16
Nexcare Absolute Waterproof (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJetq1DWzMs)Tape by 3M?

tolkien
05-06-2011, 21:18
Perhaps something that uses Compound Tincture of Benzoin as a glue? Some sort of athletic tape?

Also, duct tape?

tolkien
05-06-2011, 21:21
Is it Leukotape?
"Leukotape: Heavy-duty strapping tape with aggressive adhesive Especially suited for patellofemoral taping"
that's what the internets said Leukotape is defined as. I don't know what that large word means and I don't feel like looking it up, but "aggressive adhesive" sounds reasonably sticky.

Leebob
05-06-2011, 22:56
I've used Leukotape on blisters...good stuff...yes, it is very water resistant and does a good job of stretching and conforming to shape. Tincture of benzoin is good for making everything extra sticky - let the stuff get tacky before taping...if you have alcohol wipes, use them to cool off the hot spots and make sure the skin to be taped is as dry as possible. I generally wrap a couple of feet around a super glue container rather than pack the entire roll. Fold over one corner slightly so you can get it loose. Although the stuff tears sort of like duct tape the little scissors on a Swiss Army knife are easier to deal with.

WalksInDark
05-10-2011, 16:07
3 M micropore tape has recently been recommended to me as well. However, the 3 M tape will only work if the foot/blister area has been cleaned with alcohol and allowed to COMPLETELY dry prior to the tape application.

I look forward to hearing the "real world" experiences of others as well!

WalksInDark
05-30-2011, 09:49
Just got back from a week in the woods. Neither the 3 M tape or the leukotape lasted more than a day when taped across my heel. It may be that my feet sweat more than most..or that I need to wrap the tape completely around my ankle and back on itself in order for it to stay on.

Anyway, my search for a tape that will really stay on my feet while hiking continues!

juma
05-31-2011, 19:10
I leukotape all known blister points before I take the first step. even in rain, it sticks 3 days or more. you can even peel off or tear a hole in a callus if you don't remove it carefully. best thing is that callus builds underneath the tape as you use it.

QiWiz
06-03-2011, 11:35
And it's not just for feet, though it's the best for that IMO. I have not found a better all purpose tape and I've tried many. I have two packs with leukotape repairs on torn side pockets after rock scrambling that are still holding up after many months and many miles (ie. 3 weeks on AT).