PDA

View Full Version : New to hiking

algernon
05-05-2011, 13:13
I am going to Atlanta in about two weeks and while I'm up that way, from Florida, two friends and I are planning on doing a 4 day hike somewhere on the AT.

I have done day time hikes in North Carolina but that's about the extent of my hiking experience. As far as camping goes, I don't have too much experience but of the two friends going, one knows a thing or two.

If anyone could give me some advice for my first time hiking the AT, and first time staying in the wilderness over night for more than one night while hiking. I'm fairly lost on what to bring, how much food and water to bring, what kind of shoes to wear. Any advice would be appreciated really.

Thanks!

MkBibble
05-05-2011, 15:16
If you haven't backpacked before there is a lot to learn. I am SURE you will get a lot of opinions, but I would start with a book, then use the search feature to read previous posts on whiteblaze. There is an enormous wealth of information here, but it will require a little effort on your part. Finally, don't be intimedated; if you start at Springer or Amicalola there will be plenty of places for you to leave the trail if needed.

Here is a handy website for information on the Georgia portion of the trail: http://www.georgia-atclub.org/

Have Fun and good luck!

mweinstone
05-05-2011, 15:17
flowers for algernon was written about me.

bigcranky
05-05-2011, 15:24
Start at Springer and hike to Neels Gap. That's a great 4 day beginner hike. You can get a shuttle from The Hiker Hostel, and stay there before or after your hike.

Get a book on backpacking. I think Colin Fletcher's The Complete Walker is still the best, but there are plenty of others. Or check the Appalachian Trail Conservancy web site. This web site has a lot of information, too -- check the Articles link on the main page.

Good luck, have fun, be flexible.

Spider
05-05-2011, 15:26
poke around this forum and you'll learn a lot. also check out the articles section for gear advice and such. lots of information to be found.

tolkien
05-05-2011, 17:53
I am going to Atlanta in about two weeks and while I'm up that way, from Florida, two friends and I are planning on doing a 4 day hike somewhere on the AT.

I have done day time hikes in North Carolina but that's about the extent of my hiking experience. As far as camping goes, I don't have too much experience but of the two friends going, one knows a thing or two.

If anyone could give me some advice for my first time hiking the AT, and first time staying in the wilderness over night for more than one night while hiking. I'm fairly lost on what to bring, how much food and water to bring, what kind of shoes to wear. Any advice would be appreciated really.

Thanks!
I can give you some epigrams:
It's a hiking trip, not a camping trip
Your gear doesnt move you; you move your gear
Camp to hike, don't hike to camp

Read some gear lists (not the UL ones) and try to read some of the "stupid gear" posts to find out what you shouldn't take.

Some things you may take camping that you wont need for a backpacking trip:
A hatchet
A camp stove (small backpacking stoves are better)
A "luxury" tent
binoculars
a laptop/any sort of electronic BS (except cell phones for emergencies)
a hammock

Young Gun
05-06-2011, 09:44
You wont need as much as you think. You will be able to refill your water supply on the trail with a filter or purifying tablets. Bring enough food for at least 4 days, and a pack. Everything else is optional, but I would also recommend:

Sleeping Pad
Sleeping Bag
Tarp/Tent
Poncho/Rain jacket

Its spring so the shelters are probably full.

sonic
05-06-2011, 09:52
I agree with what was said previously. And don't forget to have fun. Don't think you have to keep up with the other people, or they with you. Don't forget to stop and smell the roses if you want to. My first AT shakedown hike was Springer to Neels Gap. I must say it was a wake up call that I wasn't in as great of shape as I hoped. But I still had fun and am currently in the final stages of planning my thru. Enjoy!

Hooch
05-06-2011, 10:01
Some things you may take camping that you wont need for a backpacking trip:

a hammockWrong! Hammocking is a very comfortable shelter option. It's definitely worth exploring, but isn't for everyone. The learning curve can be steep and not everyone can overcome it.

Rain Man
05-06-2011, 10:02
Any advice would be appreciated really.

If your pack, fully loaded, weighs about 20-30 lbs, then you are doing something right. More than that, think twice.

You won't need a hatchet, machete, or gun. You might need small container of bug repellent and/or head net.

I suspect 8 mile days will be plenty and that's roughly shelter-to-shelter hiking (even if you don't stay in or at the shelters).

It may be warm in Florida, but it can be chilly at night in the Georgia mountains.

A great 4-day hike would be either Amicalola-to-Neels Gap or Springer-to-Neels Gap, depending on whether you'd like to start at the State Park and do 8 more miles, or drive up the mountain on a dirt/gravel road and do 32 miles.

P.S. Take maps and pages from a guide book.

Rain:sunMan

algernon
05-06-2011, 11:31
Thanks everyone, this is all helpful. I'm also able to make my way up into NC if there are any portions of the trail you guys would recommend more for a beginner or if there are some really awesome places worth checking out.

Again thanks, if anyone else has advice I'm happy to take all I can get.

klpicktown
05-06-2011, 12:52
whatever shoes you decide on..... dont buy them the night before and wear them for the first time hiking. get them now and wear them around to break them in. keep your feet happy and everything is easier

innermountain
05-06-2011, 16:11
Keep it pretty simple - tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, backpack, water, water treatment, bug dope, food, something to cook the food on and clothes. One of the main things new backpackers do that doesn't work is they bring too much stuff. Keep it simple and keep it light - you'll learn the hard way on some stuff, but over time you'll get very efficient.

Buffalo Skipper
05-06-2011, 16:36
Keep it Simple is the best advice I have ever hear someone give a new backpacker.

Don't invest a ton of money until you know you want to really get into it. Hammocking is a great way to keep things light, but it takes a bit to learn, and to do it right requires an investment in money as well as time. Stick to a tent for now. If you are a member of REI, consider renting equipment which would be expensive to buy for a one time outing. There are 4 REI stores in Atlanta from which you could pick up gear on the way north. The first Florida REI store is to open in Jacksonville (I don't know if it is open yet, look into it if you are interested). Items to consider renting are: backpack, tent and/or sleeping bag, as you need them.

Don't take too many clothes or extra gear. Share things like a stove and pots and cook communal meals. Practice meals before you leave, that way you will be familiar with the stove and kitchen gear. If you like, another beginner option for food will be to buy pre-packaged dehydrated meals, like Mountain House. They only require adding boiling water, so they are easy to prepare, but they are more expensive than cooking your own food; they are fairly light, but pack out your garbage.

Stay away from blue jeans and cotton shirts. Stick with running pants and other synthetic clothing. The only clothing item I would recomend you spend any extra money on is socks. I suggest a pair of Thurlo or Smartwool socks, or another synthetic/wool blend. These are available at Sports Authority, Academy Sports or a local outfitter. Even the cheapest (non-cotton) pair are better than any sport/tube sock you will buy otherwise.

Did I suggest you avoid cotton?

A $2.00 disposable poncho from Wal Mart will be fine for rain gear for a few day outing. And speeking of Wal Mart, buy their blue foam pad for a sleeping pad. It used to be $5, but I think it may be $6-7 now. Cheap and very light weight. Works fine.

Hope these ideas keep your cost down and your pleasure up. Backpacking is as much mental as physical. Sometimes backpacking may not seem like fun, or it may be difficult. Have a positive attitude and just do it. It will be worth it.

Most of all, HAVE FUN! :banana

algernon
05-09-2011, 01:01
Would it be such a terrible idea to wear cotton shirts and jeans in an effort to save money? (it turns out I don't have any non cotton clothing) I know cotton holds moisture, but it's only a 4 or 5 day hike and I got my hands on some frogg toggs in case it rains.

BadAndy
05-09-2011, 02:45
Would it be such a terrible idea to wear cotton shirts and jeans in an effort to save money? (it turns out I don't have any non cotton clothing) I know cotton holds moisture, but it's only a 4 or 5 day hike and I got my hands on some frogg toggs in case it rains.

Even with rain gear, you'll get wet. If not from the rain then from sweat. Cotton gets very heavy when wet and does not dry or insulate so you'll get very cold even in moderate temps. It's a dangerous proposition. If you were hiking in the desert I'd say go for it, but not on the AT.

bigcranky
05-09-2011, 07:38

When are you hiking? You'll most likely want shorts, not jeans. And cotton fibers get very abrasive when wet, as well as heavy, etc. You probably won't die, but you may be very uncomfortable.

Understood on the finances, but you can get great stuff at Target or Walmart in the workout clothing. A pair of nylon gym shorts and a synthetic t-shirt should cost $20 or less.

algernon
05-09-2011, 16:08
I'll be starting the hike this Sunday, so I'm thinking a bathing suit would be good during the day.

algernon
05-10-2011, 14:04
One friend wants to hike around the standing indian shelter instead of springer mountain. Any thoughts? I think the weather might be stormy

Blissful
05-10-2011, 14:12

You can get cheap stuff that wicks at wally world or target as mentioned. Or check out your neighborhood Goodwill store. Don't use cotton.
bathng suits can cause chafing issues

MkBibble
05-10-2011, 14:30
There is a loop in that area (search wb for Standing Indian Loop), but I think it is too short for your 4 day trip. You could go from Deep Gap to NOC; thats just over 50 miles which might be a little long for 4 days. Or, From Deep Gap to Winding Stair which is 24 miles.

If it was me, I would plan the hike based on where I could shelter/tent for the 3 nights. This website is also fairly helpful for planning stops: http://www.summitpost.org/appalachian-trail-mileage-chart/593282

Buffalo Skipper
05-10-2011, 14:31
One friend wants to hike around the standing indian shelter instead of springer mountain. Any thoughts? I think the weather might be stormy

Standing Indian area is great for a multi day hike! There is a loop you can do around that area (the AT hooks east-south-east- and north from Standing Indian Mountain around to Mt Albert. It has been discussed on more than one recent thread.

Didn't mean to overkill the cotton aspect. Swim trunks may work, but I have heard of people having real chafing problem with them. Guess that depends upon you and the swim trunks. Good advice here on regular nylon running shorts and wicking shirts from Wally World. No need to spend a fortune.

Good luck and most of all--get out and HAVE FUN!!!! :banana

Nean
05-10-2011, 14:32
I've hike many a mile in swim trunks- great for hiking and light years ahead of jeans. Nothing wrong w/ a cotton Tshirt in May either. Most of my hiking has been done wearing one.

algernon
05-21-2011, 19:13
the weather was kind of bad up in standing indian so we ended up hiking from neels gap to springer which was nice. a little colder than expected but some of the advice i got off of here was really helpful, much appreciated!

algernon
05-21-2011, 19:18
i liked it a lot and i've decided to keep at it.

i borrowed a backpack for this first trip but i'm thinking about investing in my own now. any tips on how to get started researching what i would want?

bigcranky
05-22-2011, 21:51
Glad to hear you liked the trip. Hiking is kind of addictive -- welcome to the club!

The best pack is one that (1) holds your gear, and (2) is comfortable to carry. So ideally, you would have all your other gear together, and take it to an outfitter and stick it a few different packs, and try wearing them around the store for 10 or 20 minutes to see which is the most comfortable.

That's a great theory, but sometimes hard to do in practice. So to better answer your question, let me ask one of you: what sort of other gear do you have? Were you happy with it on the trail?