PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of Umbrellas

Frogdown
05-05-2011, 17:14
I did a search and really found little to nothing on the pros and cons of umbrellas. Have you used one? Do you recommend them? Do you hate them? What is the best brand? Anything would help.

tolkien
05-05-2011, 17:47
If you got a sturdy umbrella and used it as a walking staff it would be a very pragmatic piece of equiptment, but I'm a bit skeptical to how well it would function: it would be heavy, wind would be an issue, if it tears then you've got to lug it to the next town or bring something to repair it, and most importantly it would have to be wide enough to prevent water from running off the sides and dripping onto your pack.

Take one a week-long hike, hope it rains, and test it.

tolkien
05-05-2011, 17:48
Take one a week-long hike, hope it rains, and test it.
*take a one week-long hike

bigcranky
05-05-2011, 17:53
I tried an umbrella on a couple of hikes. A compact umbrella can be useful for, say, running to the privy in a downpour. However, an umbrella isn't all that useful as your only rain gear in a major thunderstorm with heavy rain blowing sideways at 40 or 50 mph. (Ask me how I know this....)

russb
05-05-2011, 18:16
Big Cranky is right on. The compact ones are great to whip out if there is a quick down pour, or for a quick jaunt to the privy. They also work well to shield from the rain the tinder and kindling for a fire you are building before you light it. But for your main rain gear... meh not so much.

hikerboy57
05-05-2011, 18:49
you can always sit on a tarp or a poncho, but.....

TIDE-HSV
05-05-2011, 19:00
I have done a few shorter hikes with umbrellas. I've climber Mt. LeConte three times using a double canopy golf umbrella as a hiking staff. As long as there's not a heavy side-blow, they're cooler than rain gear and you can put them up and take them down a lot more quickly than donning rain gear. OTOH, I don't think I'd take one on a longer hike...

Lord Helment
05-05-2011, 19:04
have used one many times...don't judge it unless you've tried it.....walk in the rain without a rain jacket...pretty awesome...@ 9 oz mine goes on every trip...folds up and isn't a factor until you need it.....rain or sun protection....

Jersey Tim
05-05-2011, 20:02
I was just pondering this a few days ago... been on the fence for a while about it, considering the Golite Dome among a few others, and while I was searching for info about it I came across the Dome on Francis Tapon's CDT list. I figure someone like that wouldn't bring it if there were a lighter option of acceptable quality.

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=379002110&mc=&t=&lat=
http://francistapon.com/Travels/Continental-Divide-Trail/CDT-Gear-List

tolkien
05-05-2011, 20:09
It would be a decent piece of equpitment to have, but if you can replace a hiking pole with it, then it turns into a very good piece of equiptment to have.

Deadeye
05-05-2011, 21:08
I've carried an umbrella for years, and wouldn't hike without one in the pack. It's not perfect for all conditions, but neither is any other peice of rain gear. For milder temps when you'll sweat yourself wet in any rain wear, a 'brolly is so much cooler. Works great for drizzzly days, or for days when you have 5 minute showers every 20 minutes.

The trick is to carry it very loosely in the hand, so that it rolls around things... don't fight it! I have a Golite and some cheap compactible umbrellas, both work just fine, and there are plenty of options for 12 oz. or less. One of mine quickly packs down to beer-can size, and I can stick it in a pack pocket (or retrieve it from said pocket) in a flash.

Obviously, if you insist on hiking with a trekking pole in each hand at all times, you won't be happy with an umbrella. I'm usually a one-stick guy, so it works for me.

YMMV

Marta
05-06-2011, 06:38
In North Carolina I know a number of people who've tried it but not any have stuck with it, myself included. As other people have mentioned, umbrellas have problems when there's wind, and also when there are low overhead branches and leaves.

In a heavy downpour if you hit an overhead branch one time, you get as wet as if you hadn't been carrying the umbrella at all. In other words, all that carrying was completely wasted. So I gave it up.

Another thing is that most of the time when it's raining, I want warmth more than protection from the water. That's the real use of rain gear for me.

A broad-brimmed hat will keep a lot of the water off your face and from running down your neck.

daddytwosticks
05-06-2011, 07:26
This topic comes up once, maybe twice a year. When is someone gonna post that dorky picture of the guy wearing the umbrella hat? :)

juma
05-06-2011, 08:00
seen leaving the picnic area near Mt. Laguna on the PCT.

88BlueGT
05-06-2011, 09:11
I would rather wear an umbrella hat than a use an umbrella anyday. I don't see any benefit to using an umbrella except that it may be a 'cooler' option than having a rainjacket. Besides that they just seem like one huge PITA with many factors that could come into play to make your umbrella experience go terribly wrong.

1) It could rip, probably pretty easily.
2) Wind
3) Flimsy
4) Heavy
5) Pain to pack
6) Have to hold it
7) Overhead trees
8) Tight trails, umbrella? prob not.
9) Use trekking poles? not any more.

This is just off the top of my head in 15 seconds, I'm sure there are many other cons. And the pro's are what? There really are none IMO because if its raining any harder than a drizzle its pointless.

Anyway, if you guys like them, awesome, HYOH. I would much rather wear a breathable LW rainjacket w/ big pit zips. Just my .02

Jaybird
05-06-2011, 09:21
I did a search and really found little to nothing on the pros and cons of umbrellas. Have you used one? Do you recommend them? Do you hate them? What is the best brand? Anything would help.

NO UMBRELLAS!

USE Lite-weight RAIN GEAR!

check your local outfitters!:D

see ya'll out there!
DWG...NoBo to Kent,CT
May 28-June 12

Buffalo Skipper
05-06-2011, 09:24
I am not for or against umbrellas. But one of our own, Iceaxe, is on the trail, and he is hiking with an umbrella. He is going very light, and carries a monster umbrella. In fact, he uses it as the front door for his shelter, if I read his gear check stuff right. Here is his journal entry where he discusses his umbrella as gear.

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=b843a6c3c652edc1d055426d2b33c5 6c&entry_id=19707

http://postholer.com/journal/images/1100/full-801-19707-tarp_proto_3_001.JPG

He is making good time. He left March 16 and PA 325 yesterday, a distance of 1156, for an average of over 22.5/day. Not a record pace, but speedy by most standards.

88BlueGT
05-06-2011, 09:30
I barely want to carry an umbrella walking into work if its raining let alone walking through the woods :D The only reason I could see an umbrella being useful is

1) in town if you don't want to wear your rain gear
2) going to the bathroom in the middle of the night. But for that I just put my pot on top of my head and off I go :D problem solved.

TIDE-HSV
05-06-2011, 09:42
RE: wind and brollies, I'd throw in that the modern double canopy ones can stand any amount of wind without turning wrong side out. Of course that doesn't help with the problem of getting wet from horizontal rain... :D

Rain Man
05-06-2011, 10:23
I don't see any benefit to using an umbrella ....

.The only reason I could see an umbrella being useful is...

I take a lot of photos. In rain the camera gets wet just holding it up to my eye. An umbrella would solve that particular problem, I suspect, and thus have at least one useful benefit.

Rain:sunMan

88BlueGT
05-06-2011, 10:29
^^ That is true, but you can't shoot a DSLR and hold an umbrella at the same time. Need the other hand for focus/zoom. I guess it could be beneficial with a 'point-and-shoot' though.

Even better, they could just a little umbrella that attaches to your camera!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c53/88bluegt22/camera-umbrella.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c53/88bluegt22/camera-umbrella1.jpg

ScottP
05-06-2011, 11:15
good for the desert. I wouldn't want one on the AT, that's for sure.

scope
05-06-2011, 12:08
walk in the rain without a rain jacket...pretty awesome...

Yep, its pretty awesome without the umbrella as well.

trippclark
05-06-2011, 12:58
I've carried an umbrella for years, and wouldn't hike without one in the pack. It's not perfect for all conditions, but neither is any other peice of rain gear. For milder temps when you'll sweat yourself wet in any rain wear, a 'brolly is so much cooler. Works great for drizzzly days, or for days when you have 5 minute showers every 20 minutes.

The trick is to carry it very loosely in the hand, so that it rolls around things... don't fight it! I have a Golite and some cheap compactible umbrellas, both work just fine, and there are plenty of options for 12 oz. or less. One of mine quickly packs down to beer-can size, and I can stick it in a pack pocket (or retrieve it from said pocket) in a flash.

Obviously, if you insist on hiking with a trekking pole in each hand at all times, you won't be happy with an umbrella. I'm usually a one-stick guy, so it works for me.

YMMV

+1 on what Deadeye says. I would give up several other items in my pack before I would sacrfice my umbrella.

I have been using an umbrella as my first choice primary raingear for about 8 years and it has been the only raingear that I use most of the time. Only once have I had an umbrella to break from high wind, and that was from my own carelessness. I do still carry and use lightweight sil-nylon gaitors, a sil-nylon rain wrap, and a dri-ducks rain jacket as part of my full raingear kit. Most of the time, I only use the umbrella or umbrella and gaitors. In heavier or blowing rain, I will add the rain wrap to keep my shorts and upper legs dry. I only use the jacket for in-camp when I need two hands (cooking, setting up tarp and hammock, etc.) and an umbrella is cumbersome.

I normally hike with two trekking poles, but switch to one and stow the second when I need to use the umbrella.

The umbrella that I use most often is a GoLite Chrome Dome. I also have a couple of the GoLite Dome umbrellas and a MountainSmith compact umbrella that I use occasionally or loan to others I hike with.

The best advise has already been shared. Try it and see it it works for you.

Tripp

springerfever
05-06-2011, 16:19
Check this one out:

http://www.euroschirm.com/usa/index.cgi

make sure to view the video link

If I'm not mistaken this is the actual manufacturer for the Go-lite umbrella and I believe, the one marketed by Montbell. If you notice the phone at the bottom of the link the area code is (770), the Atlanta area. A couple of years ago I dropped by the address and checked out the entire line of umbrellas. Quite a variety and I ended up buying two..one the red outdoor (shown above) and the other the silver Swing Liteflex .

Have not used either for hiking, but I have considered it. They are GREAT umbrellas and I use the outdoor model all the time and keep it in my car.

I actually found some of their huge golf umbrellas available online for about ten bucks each(retailer was going out of business). Bought four of them and gave them as gifts to the family. Excellent quality and often on sale.......

springerfever
05-06-2011, 16:25
sorry, here's the shortcut

http://www.euroschirm.com/daten/Goebel-stream-low.wmv

These folks are serious about their umbrellas !!!

Jonnycat
05-07-2011, 00:33
I use a silnylon poncho: it's lightweight, covers my head, covers my pack, and is loose enough to breathe when it needs to.

I still need to get around to making a set of chaps to go with it, but I'm lazy.

88BlueGT
05-07-2011, 00:45
I use a silnylon poncho: it's lightweight, covers my head, covers my pack, and is loose enough to breathe when it needs to.

I still need to get around to making a set of chaps to go with it, but I'm lazy.

I have the Equinox FM rain chaps and they work well. They're not that expensive to it may be worth the buy if you don't want to go through the work of making them yourself. Just an option...
http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/raingear/full-moon-ultralite-chaps.cfm

I also use a similar poncho that you are describing. The poncho and chaps work well together if the poncho goes low enough to cover your backside.
http://thepacka.com/

mweinstone
05-07-2011, 00:48
umbrellas are fun. funs con is running out of it. other than that, were all good here.

i invented a way to walk thru rain dry but got laughed out. so ill keep it to myself. but its a real invention i made and it works. its a giant condom. but i called it a conbrella.and its reusable and rolls back up a million times like a champ. its made by heating a frisbee just right while a powerfull heat guns fan blows it into the right size. it ends up looking like a totes brand condom . you roll it down from your head ad poke thru the holes and its comfy and non restrictive and breats thru the pits. good time.

TIDE-HSV
05-07-2011, 00:57
Check this one out:

http://www.euroschirm.com/usa/index.cgi

make sure to view the video link

If I'm not mistaken this is the actual manufacturer for the Go-lite umbrella and I believe, the one marketed by Montbell. If you notice the phone at the bottom of the link the area code is (770), the Atlanta area. A couple of years ago I dropped by the address and checked out the entire line of umbrellas. Quite a variety and I ended up buying two..one the red outdoor (shown above) and the other the silver Swing Liteflex .

Have not used either for hiking, but I have considered it. They are GREAT umbrellas and I use the outdoor model all the time and keep it in my car.

I actually found some of their huge golf umbrellas available online for about ten bucks each(retailer was going out of business). Bought four of them and gave them as gifts to the family. Excellent quality and often on sale.......

That Komperdell combination hiking pole/umbrella is very interesting. I use Komperdells, anyway and my daughter lives in Stuttgart, not far from Ulm, which is about halfway to Munich. I'm over there a couple of times a year to visit her and the grandchildren and I may just take a side trip to see the facility and products...

Jonnycat
05-07-2011, 15:04
I have the Equinox FM rain chaps and they work well. They're not that expensive to it may be worth the buy if you don't want to go through the work of making them yourself. Just an option...
http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/raingear/full-moon-ultralite-chaps.cfm

Ooh, thanks Blue, that is a decent price. In all honesty it isn't the making that has got me stymied, it's coming up with a good pattern.

That was the easy part about making the poncho, as I just took a pattern off of a cheapy poncho and modified it a little to make it longer and more accepting of my pack.

If I bought those I would not only have them to use, but then it'd give me somewhere to start fiddling around when I needed to make a replacement pair.

Blissful
05-07-2011, 15:59
My son used one in '07 - a Go lite one. No issues. He hated raingear

aaronthebugbuffet
05-07-2011, 16:04
I've tried an umbrella.
Didn't really care for hiking with it. I may take it for my western trips this year for sun protection though.
To me it's greatest use was when in camp.