PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Lost ring in GA - Indian Grave Gap

sembrey
05-05-2011, 19:53
Hi all,

I know this is a long shot but I was doing a short section of the AT last night and today at Indian Grave Gap. Along the way I lost 2 small gold bands... each band is thin (3mm), one yellow gold and one in white gold... the yellow band has an inscription. I would think they are not worth much but the yellow band is my great, great aunt's wedding band from the 1940s. I'm not sure how they fell off and I'm very upset they are lost. I saw a lot of hikers on the trail if you find these rings PLEASE message me! PLEASE!

Sally

Spogatz
05-05-2011, 23:47
What did you hike. I have a metal detector and can go over the area but I need to know where you where other than the gap/

Trailweaver
05-06-2011, 00:52
You might also go there (if you can) and put this information and a way to contact you in the shelter register. If you can't go yourself, get someone to go for you. Also, you need to contact the ridge runner for the area. They are always helpful, I've found.

So sorry this happened. . . hope you get them back.

Trailweaver
05-06-2011, 00:55
One other thing - I'd contact area newspapers to see if they'd do a story about it and offer a reward if found. Even a small reward might get someone out looking.

If they won't do a story, maybe you could write a letter to the editor.

You could also run a classified ad in the lost and found section of the want ads, although I think this would be a longshot.

sembrey
05-06-2011, 18:14
Great suggestions... unfortunately I can't go back that way for at least a couple of days since I'm over 2 hours away, but I will be sure to follow-up on your ideas! Thanks again!!!

Sally

sembrey
05-06-2011, 18:28
Also just in case... I parked and Indian Grave Gap and hiked up to Rocky Mountain and camped. The next morning I continued down the AT to Indian Grave Gap, took a left on FR 283 and blue blazed a loop back up to Rocky Mountain. It was a 5.5 mile loop and this website goes into more detail if needed: http://www.atlantatrails.com/hiking-trails/hiking-the-appalachian-trail-at-indian-grave-gap/

Trailweaver
05-07-2011, 01:49
You might give the folks at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega a call to see if they could offer any suggestion. I'm sure they'd be glad to put out the word to the hikers who come thru the HH that they shuttle and put up. It would be great news if someone came thru there and had found the rings.

Please let us all know if you get them back.