PDA

View Full Version : Sil Net mixed w/denatured alcohol?

KMACK
05-06-2011, 12:59
The title says it all, can I dilute Sil Net w/denatured alcohol or does it have to be mineral spirits??

88BlueGT
05-06-2011, 13:04
Good thread, I'll be seam-sealing this weekend.

Subscribing....

enurdat1
05-06-2011, 14:42
Everything I've read says Mineral Spirits. I made my own seal and used Mineral Spirits mixed with silicone calk, worked great.

Jonnycat
05-06-2011, 18:28
Everything I've read says Mineral Spirits. I made my own seal and used Mineral Spirits mixed with silicone calk, worked great.

Did that on my tarp shelter as well, starting from Jim Wood's recipe (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html), and it worked great.

KMACK
05-06-2011, 19:14
Spirits it will be!

Spokes
05-06-2011, 20:50
Hold on!!! I tried the odorless mineral spirits with Sil-Net thing last weekend and it caused the sealer to harder way too quickly. I only used a very small amount after reading about it on several other sites. Ended up with a big blob of hard sealer on the end of the wooden stir stick in only 3-4 minutes. Big mistake.

I ended up buying a new tube to finish the job (without ANY additives). Never again.........

Rocket Jones
05-07-2011, 06:10
Instead of Sil-Net, I used the recommended silicone sealer. I was standing in front of a confusing wall of choices when one of the hardware store guys asked what I was looking for. I ran down the list: silicone, clear, outdoor, etc. and he immediately picked out one tube. I carefully read it and it was *exactly* what I wanted.

Lots of choices, but the right stuff is available. Used mineral spirits too.

moytoy
05-07-2011, 08:58
The title says it all, can I dilute Sil Net w/denatured alcohol or does it have to be mineral spirits??

Why would you want to thin a product that is made for sealing sil nylon. I would use min sp to thin silicone caulk but not Mcnett sil-net.

88BlueGT
05-12-2011, 12:48
because with most sealers out there you are supposed to thin them.... as directed from instructions AND most tent manufacturers.

psyculman
05-13-2011, 05:40
Denatured alcohol CLEANS UP silicon very well, don't mix it with silicon and expect it to seal anything though, it won't work.