PDA

View Full Version : An apology...

Limeman
05-06-2011, 13:59
Hi Guys and Gals,

After reading over my two recently posted tent reviews (Nemo Obi 2P and TNF Sputnik 2P) it hit me like a ton of bricks that the needs and requirements of you all who frequent the Appalachian Trail can and are significantly different than that of needs in the North West and South West portion of our nation where I live and backpack. As such, I wanted to offer an apology for being so opinionated in my reviews (especially in the Nemo Obi 2p) towards that mindset. My hope was to be helpful, but think I dropped to ball. Thank goodness so many of your called me out, stating what your needs were along the Appalachian in comparison to mine on the opposite side of our nation.

I am fortunate to have access to (and often try out) many of the new tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, packing gear, etc, and as such, I would love the opportunity to keep posting reviews here. And in hopes of being more useful for all who frequent this excellent community, I will work to stick only to basic facts (and lots of pix), and will leave my opinion and experience out, and let those of you who read determine if said item being showcased would be useful for your needs along the Appalachian.

Thanks again!

Marnee
05-06-2011, 14:06
I dunno why you feel the need to be contrite for being opinionated. Providing more context to inform the reader on your point of view is probably a good thing, but apologies are unnecessary.

I enjoy people's personal experience and opinions. They are often more useful than a straightforward book report type review! Why wouldn't you provide this as part of a review? Your review will naturally stem from your experiences, no matter what, anyway.

BJStuart
05-06-2011, 14:49
I agree, I found your posts interesting. Sure, I'm mostly east coast, but I can adjust to my context. Also, I'm planning to do the John Muir, and I have done a lot of hiking in Scotland and probably will again. So I'm happy to see a real life opinion of stuff, and then I'll decide if it's for me.

Limeman
05-06-2011, 18:03
Thanks guys. I also enjoy everyone's interactions. I had just realized I'd come crashing into this community without taking into account the requirements of an East Coast packer. A "doh" moment on my part!

@Marnee... a great idea for the next showcase/review to mention geographic context on my part. Thanks.

Cheers!

bulldog49
05-06-2011, 19:26
Don't apologize, I enjoyed your review. Very thorough and objective. Ignore the politically correct gear ignoramuses.

Snowleopard
05-06-2011, 21:09
Limeman, I went back and read the NEMO thread. I thought your review was really thorough, your opinions reasonable and your tone was civil throughout. So, in my opinion, no apology needed.
Also, some WB members hike other trails, not just the AT.

TAS
05-13-2011, 12:36
I did not see one here at all

John

Tenderheart
05-13-2011, 13:31
Whoa, a man big enough to offer an apology, whether needed or not. That's a rarity!!

bigcranky
05-14-2011, 10:02
Wait, you are apologizing for being opinionated on Whiteblaze? :-?

Seriously, no worries.