PDA

View Full Version : Anybody seen "Southbound"?

tolkien
05-06-2011, 14:26
I like it. Is it a good representation of hiking? Also, if you meet somebody weird like she did, like Slackpack, how should you get rid of them?

flemdawg1
05-06-2011, 14:53
Do you mean Southbounders the movie?

Mr. BuffaloMan
05-06-2011, 17:22
To put distance between you and unwanted companions, either hike faster than them or slower than them. Or, just make them your friends. The second option is more fun. The first option is always available if number two doesn't workout.

Mr. BuffaloMan
05-06-2011, 17:23
Yes, I saw Southbounders. It is a pretty good representation of life on the trail.

Marta
05-06-2011, 17:25
I love that movie.

Jeremiah Greenjeans
05-06-2011, 23:55
Say what you want about Slackpack...

His girlfriend was hawt.

Jim Adams
05-07-2011, 11:01
Obviously you haven't thru hiked yet...SlackPack wasn't a weird one! LOL
You will run into alot of hikers like SP on your thru hike...they are harmless. When you run into a real weird one...you will instantly know it.
Good flik...fairly representitive of what it's like out there...deals more with the true emotions of a thru than most movies.

geek

Kepley
05-07-2011, 18:29
If you want to get rid of someone weird, the best way is to out-weird them. Act as retarded as possible. Make up insane stories and talk about your prison days. They will move on.

Snowleopard
05-30-2011, 18:23
I watched it on netflix last night and liked it. slackpack became less annoying as the film went on. As in life, I'd say that treating annoying people decently and with good humor is the best approach. Most people can be fun to know with the right attitude.

Chenango
05-30-2011, 19:42
Just watched it yesterday. I love this movie.

Also watched parts of Appalachian Impressions. This is a good one, too.

Spider
05-30-2011, 19:43
southbounders is an enjoyable movie. very indie which some people love or hate, but it tells a good story.

Sly
05-30-2011, 19:46
I love that movie.

I think I enjoy it more than the non-fiction variety.

CrumbSnatcher
08-20-2011, 11:11
a few funny mistakes in the movie,but i enjoyed it!
if you think slackpack was weird? you ain't seen nothin' yet :-)

Jeff
08-20-2011, 14:26
The movie runs about once a week at the hostel. The scenes in Maine especially at Shaws in Monson are pretty good and bring back alot of memories.

As far as I am concerned, Slackpack was the star. He reminded me of so many hikers I have met over the years.

innermountain
08-20-2011, 16:09
I hate it when Number Two doesn't work out...especially on the trail.

WILLIAM HAYES
08-20-2011, 20:05
also saw it on netflix enjoyed it reminds me of several people I have met on the trail over the years some of the photography was very good

lush242000
08-21-2011, 14:42
I enjoy watching the movie. It has some good shots of the trail. Take it for what it is.

bobqzzi
08-21-2011, 14:53
pop up etc free online streaming version

http://www.cultureunplugged.com/play/5990/Southbounders

I tried the link- it would only play the first 8 minutes. Anybody have success with it?

beaudetious
08-21-2011, 18:00
Thanks, OP, for starting this discussion. I didn't know about this film until I read this thread yesterday.

I watched the movie last night on Netflix. I enjoyed it thoroughly and can't wait to show it to my wife and friends.

Plus the soundtrack (by Jay Nash) was pretty good too.

The best scene, to me, was the one with the mouse on the food bag. I have a hate/hate relationship with those furry bastards.

And any scene with SlackPack. I think we all have a little SlackPack in us to some degree.

MyName1sMud
08-22-2011, 11:55
Thanks for the heads up! I never even knew this movie was out there! Added to netflix disc and instant

Slo-go'en
08-22-2011, 16:53
That is a pretty good movie. It was much more entertaining then the true documentry type of AT films.

tiptoe
08-22-2011, 17:20
I watched it and enjoyed the scenery. But the relationship, well, that was a tad predictable. It reminded me a lot of Love Story, without the leukemia.

rickb
08-22-2011, 20:58
The casting of the lady who met up with her hiker beau in town was a nice twist.

30 Large
08-22-2011, 21:09
I enjoyed the movie, once I realized that it wasn't a documentary lol.
I started watching it thinking that it was going to be a "life on the trail" style doc, once I took it for what it was I really got into it.

Lone Wolf
08-22-2011, 21:13
I like it. Is it a good representation of hiking? no, not really

MuddyWaters
08-22-2011, 22:44
thx for the link as well. I enjoyed it. Although, I do think you need to be someone with an unhealthy fixation on the A.T. or distance hiking in general in order to do so.

Monkeywrench
08-23-2011, 07:52
As soon as I saw the log bridge enter the frame I recognized it as the one in front of Rainbow Stream Leanto. A bit uncanny that I could recognize one particular log and stream bank out of all the ones crossed during a thru-hike!

XCskiNYC
09-04-2011, 21:29
Hey Tolkien, thanks for posting this. Interesting that a fiction movie (even if made for only $35k, less than some people spend on a new SUV) seems to catch the AT flavor better than some docs. Though in the case of the AT the low budget may have actually increased the level of veracity. Strolling, thank you for that link. It never ceases to amaze how much of the content that's on the $9/month Netflix Instant Watch can be found elsewhere not just free, but without commercials.

Virginia Archer
09-04-2011, 21:53
saw that and the national geographic one on netflix the other day, And have hiked some of the AT in my earlier years. But made me wanna get back up there. Then I found this site, which is getting me even more motivated. Gonna try some sections in 2012.

Virginia Archer
09-04-2011, 21:54
saw that and the national geographic one on netflix the other day, And have hiked some of the AT in my earlier years.&nbsp; But made me wanna get back up there.&nbsp; Then I found this site, which is getting me even more motivated.&nbsp; Gonna try some sections in 2012.<br>

4eyedbuzzard
09-05-2011, 08:30
As soon as I saw the log bridge enter the frame I recognized it as the one in front of Rainbow Stream Leanto. A bit uncanny that I could recognize one particular log and stream bank out of all the ones crossed during a thru-hike!It is interesting that you can instantly remember certain privies as well. :-? A testament to privy architectural skills? :p

78Staff
09-05-2011, 22:31
Funny, I bought this DVD awhile back and kinda forgot about it...watching tonight. Only about 15 minutes into it but seems like a good flick so far...

78Staff
09-06-2011, 01:51
I liked it...had a few dry spots in the middle and some obvious inaccuracy's and anachronisms, but overall worth the watch.

Wobegon
09-06-2011, 08:36
When it comes to changing your pace to get away from someone who annoys you on a thru-hike, you'll always just run into someone when you go faster that may annoy you way more... "The annoying you know is better than the annoying you don't..." -- Wobegon

CrumbSnatcher
09-06-2011, 10:23
what was with the nightmare/flashback early on in the movie see was having, it looked like it showed some guy assaulting her?

MyName1sMud
09-06-2011, 10:51
what was with the nightmare/flashback early on in the movie see was having, it looked like it showed some guy assaulting her?

Yeah I was confused by that as well? I guess it was trying to say some people go there to escape something that happened to them. Hence by the end of the movie when she was giving up to go to school on time she wouldn't answer him on why she was giving up after he gave her reasons to stay. I guess she wasn't comfortable with telling him about her unfortunate event in her earlier life. I was happy to see she did go finish what she started but it didn't give us any more slackpack :(

(watched last night for the first time)

CrumbSnatcher
09-06-2011, 11:09
overall i like the movie
the payphone call from monson was funny seeing the phone lever taped down so you wouldn't hear the phone going off during the fake call, and when slackpack's girlfriend picked him up in hot springs(270 miles from springer) but he said theres only 600 miles left.

MyName1sMud
09-09-2011, 15:11
What was the quote about the rain again?

that was a good one

CrumbSnatcher
09-09-2011, 16:05
only one i know about the rain is
no rain
no pain
no maine

EJC
09-09-2011, 20:08
What was the quote about the rain again?

that was a good one

It was something close to:

I never noticed how beautiful the rain could be, I never stopped to notice.

MyName1sMud
09-10-2011, 00:05
It was something close to:

I never noticed how beautiful the rain could be, I never stopped to notice.

Yeah I think thats it.

"I never paused to notice" also sounds right

Old Boots
09-10-2011, 00:47
Watched again tonite

Marta
09-10-2011, 12:18
what was with the nightmare/flashback early on in the movie see was having, it looked like it showed some guy assaulting her?I think it was a suicide attempt, and was part of why her relationship with her parents was so awkward and fraught with control issues.

birdygal
09-10-2011, 13:07
I watched it, I really like it but not the ending, Ddidnt show slackpack again whether or not he went back on the trail and if she had 600 miles left she sure could not have finished in a 2 week spring break from school

Spokes
09-10-2011, 14:16
I liked the film. Made me laugh out loud in spots, and quietly reflect in others.

Sorta bummed they listed one of the film locations in the credits as "Hot Springs, TN"- Yikes!!!!!!

Spokes
09-10-2011, 15:25
...The best scene, to me, was the one with the mouse on the food bag. I have a hate/hate relationship with those furry bastards.

Mouse? That was a squirrel!!!! heheheheheheeee...

CrumbSnatcher
09-10-2011, 16:44
I watched it, I really like it but not the ending, Ddidnt show slackpack again whether or not he went back on the trail and if she had 600 miles left she sure could not have finished in a 2 week spring break from schooli need to watch it again,but i thought they made it thru the smokies before she went home?

RWheeler
09-10-2011, 17:26
I just watched it today, after becoming aware of it from WB and realizing it was on Netflix.

It just makes me want to get on the trail and have my own experiences. Meet people, meet myself, and let my feet carry me to whatever destination lies in store.

I am NOT looking forward to having to wait until the end of April for all of this...

EJC
09-10-2011, 22:43
Yeah I think thats it.

"I never paused to notice" also sounds right

:) Yup, messed up the end, now I have an excuse to watch it a few more times!

Trillium
09-11-2011, 11:22
thank you to whoever posted the link on the first page. just watched it in its entirety and enjoyed it.

agree that Slackpack is not weird by any means. he's just a good ole boy who is a gregarious rambling man. yes, the rambling can get on your nerves at times but not only is he harmless, he's a good guy.

bus
09-12-2011, 21:34
I was just bummed slackpack didn't finish...

MyName1sMud
09-14-2011, 20:40
Thinking about rewatching it tonight.... after of course I play the FIFA 12 demo.

I think that is going to be the ONLY thing I miss while on the trail. Soccer.

restlesss
09-14-2011, 20:59
my favorite movie of all time

beaudetious
09-14-2011, 21:20
My non-hiking wife did not like this movie as much as I did. Strange but true.

Just a Hiker
09-14-2011, 21:46
I finally watched it recently and I enjoyed it. For whatever reason however, it was a little bit sad/painful seeing Keith Shaw in the movie. If you know Mr. Shaw, you can tell he wasn't feeling well when they made the movie.

WingedMonkey
09-14-2011, 22:24
I finally watched it recently and I enjoyed it. For whatever reason however, it was a little bit sad/painful seeing Keith Shaw in the movie. If you know Mr. Shaw, you can tell he wasn't feeling well when they made the movie.

Wonder what happen to the movies Keith Shaw use to take around the dinner table.

Just a Hiker
09-14-2011, 22:38
Wonder what happen to the movies Keith Shaw use to take around the dinner table.

I am sure Mrs. Shaw has them somewhere.....or Keith Jr. might have them. It was fun sitting around the table with Mr. Shaw listening to his stories and hearing about his on-going feud with the Pie Lady.:)

MyName1sMud
09-14-2011, 23:52
Someone in the movie was a real person? Was he the man that picked them up when Slackpack wouldn't walk any further for a car to pick him up?

Just a Hiker
09-15-2011, 00:06
Someone in the movie was a real person? Was he the man that picked them up when Slackpack wouldn't walk any further for a car to pick him up?

Yes, there was a "non actor" in the film, and no, Keith Shaw wasn't the man who picked up the hikers on Rt. 15......he was the old man they briefly showed in the movie when the hikers were in Monson. That part of the movie was filmed at Shaw's Boarding House before Keith died in 2005.

MyName1sMud
09-15-2011, 00:33
The one sitting by himself in front of the house? That was nice of him to let them put him in the movie, even in bad health.

MelNino
09-15-2011, 09:12
I think that is going to be the ONLY thing I miss while on the trail. Soccer.

Ha, I hear ya there. *sighs at the Rev's season thus far*

Add me to the list of 'Southbounders' fans. About to fire up the soundtract.

MyName1sMud
09-15-2011, 12:09
Ha, I hear ya there. *sighs at the Rev's season thus far*

Add me to the list of 'Southbounders' fans. About to fire up the soundtract.

Yeah Chicago Fire haven't done much better.

I really need to pick up this soundtrack. Hopefully Amazon has it for digital download.

Destiny2012
09-15-2011, 12:19
Southbound is a fun movie

Jukebox
09-16-2011, 19:38
If you watch it after thru-hiking, you notice some weird things. Like how they say there's only "600 miles to go" when they're in Hot Springs, and how after that he's hiking through southern Virginia, then at the end she shows up at Springer Mountain Shelter and says something like she's got 90 miles left.

What a strange flip-flop route they were doing. :P