PDA

View Full Version : coyotes in Ga

scope
05-06-2011, 16:08
A while back there was a thread about coyotes at Cowrock and I've heard other anecdotal accounts of them there. Does anybody have some info on recent sightings or heard them closeby at Cowrock or the surrounding area? Planning to stay there soon and was just wondering.

And, yes, I'm aware that there has been bear trouble recently in the area.

scope
05-09-2011, 10:20
Anybody? Buehler?

general
05-09-2011, 18:38
i see coyotes regularly at work which is at the intersection of richard russell scenic highway and alternate 75. just hiked from hogpen gap to unicoi gap last weekend and didn't see, or hear, any wildlife but birds and squirrels.

Frogdown
05-09-2011, 18:52
Coyotes are everywhere! I have lived in MI, TN, TX, GA and they have been in all those places. They are harmless to humans.

earlyriser26
05-09-2011, 19:22
Had a big group of them start howling right outside my tent in GA last year. Was frightened at first, till I woke up and figured out it was only coyotes.

mateozzz
05-09-2011, 20:18
It does kind of get your mind racing when you get woken up by the coyotes! Where I grew up in CT people are afraid to let their cats out anymore because the coyotes eat them, but they don't bother people (yet)

Sierra Echo
05-09-2011, 20:23
I know there are a bunch of coyotes around Blairsville. Grandfather hears them almost nightly.

Bama Jack & Sadie
05-09-2011, 20:38
Had a pack come through camp Nov 09 at Muskrat Creek Shelter in the middle of the night (middle of hiker night anyway, like 10 or 11 PM) Didn't bother anything and we had 6-7 tenters and I was in the shelter.

scope
05-10-2011, 14:51
So, my guess from these responses is that its not that coyotes are always at Cowrock, but they're in the area and it may be one of many different areas they frequent for purposes other than food.

Was asking in order to know about what kind of nights sleep I might get. If I knew they were definitely there all the time, I might opt to go elsewhere.

bloodmountainman
05-10-2011, 17:19
Just below Cowrock is the Logan Turnpike trail. The trail leads from Tesnatee Gap into Kellum Valley. Kellum Valley is a farming community with chicken houses and other livestock and is great "hunting" land for the coyotes. They will call out right after sundown, re-group the pack and go out for the evening hunt. This regrouping is usually at the summit or a few hundred yards below. Mostly they will hunt the valley and return back up before sunrise. I was on the Turnpike a few weeks ago and heard them above me at sunset.

TIDE-HSV
05-10-2011, 19:50
Coyotes are everywhere! I have lived in MI, TN, TX, GA and they have been in all those places. They are harmless to humans.
I'll confess I was a bit bewildered. I read it sort of like a sighting of blue jays. We live adjacent to a wooded state park and other mountainside lands and they are regulars in the neighborhood. They do snatch the occasional small pet, but, other than that, they're not noteworthy. Well, check that. They do seem to out-compete the foxes, which are more fun to watch...

Skid.
05-10-2011, 21:28
Not in Ga, however this past Saturday I was hiking Pearis Mtn, going down into Pearisburg, Va about 11:30 am. The fire siren in Pearisburg started to wail, and everytime it did, I heard a howling from down below me, on the side of the mountain. Sounded like a bunch of puppys howling, but there were no dogs or houses anywhere nearby. Every time the siren blew, they howled. When it stopped, they stopped. Couldn't think of anything else it could be except a den of coyotes.

scope
05-11-2011, 09:23
Just below Cowrock is the Logan Turnpike trail. The trail leads from Tesnatee Gap into Kellum Valley. Kellum Valley is a farming community with chicken houses and other livestock and is great "hunting" land for the coyotes. They will call out right after sundown, re-group the pack and go out for the evening hunt. This regrouping is usually at the summit or a few hundred yards below. Mostly they will hunt the valley and return back up before sunrise. I was on the Turnpike a few weeks ago and heard them above me at sunset.

Hey man, good to hear from you... you were there at my first coyote experience on Big Cedar! So, do they congregate near that campsite that is below the main AT overlook? If so, would it be better to camp on further down at the Kellum Valley overlook?

bloodmountainman
05-11-2011, 21:21
Hey man, good to hear from you... you were there at my first coyote experience on Big Cedar! So, do they congregate near that campsite that is below the main AT overlook? If so, would it be better to camp on further down at the Kellum Valley overlook?
I think you will be OK camping anywhere in that section. Let me know when you'll be up there. I would like to come by and visit your camp. There have been no turkeys down on the Turnpike this season, and that is a sure sign coyotes use that area.

scope
05-19-2011, 09:13
I think you will be OK camping anywhere in that section. Let me know when you'll be up there. I would like to come by and visit your camp. There have been no turkeys down on the Turnpike this season, and that is a sure sign coyotes use that area.

See you tomorrow?