PDA

View Full Version : Grand Reopening Of The Iron Master's Hostel

Mother Natures Son
05-06-2011, 17:56
Today was the Grand Reopening of the Ironmaster's Hostel and I came away with mixed feelings. What was nice to see the hostel restored to its former glory, the way they did made it seem extremely upscale. This is probably for the wedding, business meeting, etc. crowd. I can hear it now when the thru-hikers start coming in droves, "Hiker, don't touch the leather upholstery, or get anywhere near the fine carpet or ...! It is my opinion that hikers are now considered an afterthought in the hostel process. It's a shame, once it was the must-stop on the trail that is, until they turned it into the Taj Mahal of hostels. This isn't even mentioning all the other problems they haven't even tackled as of yet (overworked electrical system, outdated plumbing, etc.) I let you folks choose if you want to stay there. Me, I don't need anything fancy. I just need a good pair of boots and a pack on my back, and I'm happy.

Spirit Walker
05-06-2011, 22:31
There are showers at the campground - and ice cream at the store. What more do you need?

mweinstone
05-07-2011, 01:19
the wonderful iron masters hostel has the sigular problem of buildings needing more funds than are available . the intermediate cures being come up with by whomever wont work. thats part of the prosses and its fine. since we print money these days instead of earning it. in the future, it will be back. and untill then , few hikers will notice any problems. it will do fine for now and get alot better later.

mweinstone
05-07-2011, 01:21
being a grungy thruhiker in a pristeen environment such as this or hiker hostel isnt some sort of insurmountable obsticale.

10-K
05-07-2011, 06:45
There are showers at the campground - and ice cream at the store. What more do you need?

Yep, if they'd just run a little shuttle from the campground back to the trail in the morning it would be perfect. :)

Seriously though, it's a cool place to stay as far as campgrounds go.

Mother Natures Son
05-07-2011, 08:12
I wonder "if" the PA Ruck will return to the Iron Master's Hostel? Will all these changes affect them ever coming back?

camojack
05-07-2011, 21:30
I wonder "if" the PA Ruck will return to the Iron Master's Hostel? Will all these changes affect them ever coming back?
I was talking to Ray the caretaker there yesterday, and he'd like to see the PA Ruck return there.

Regarding the hiker friendliness of the hostel, the fee for staying there overnight ($25?) includes dinner and breakfast... :-?

Crash
05-08-2011, 15:25
I was talking to Ray the caretaker there yesterday, and he'd like to see the PA Ruck return there.

Regarding the hiker friendliness of the hostel, the fee for staying there overnight ($25?) includes dinner and breakfast... :-?

What does dinner entail?

tia

Crash
05-08-2011, 15:25
And I miss the PA ruck!

camojack
05-08-2011, 18:46
What does dinner entail?

tia
I'm pretty sure it's usually (if not always) just spaghetti... :-?

Blissful
05-08-2011, 21:32
What does dinner entail?

tia

Spaghetti and awesome marinara sauce.
Breakfast was three waffles, sausage patty, orange juice.
The beds were super for bunk beds. Comfy. Yeha leather is upscale but they felt real nice!

You simply can't beat the price. Nice place. Only wish they had the laundry up and running.

Trail Bug
05-15-2011, 15:33
Spaghetti and awesome marinara sauce.
Breakfast was three waffles, sausage patty, orange juice.
The beds were super for bunk beds. Comfy. Yeha leather is upscale but they felt real nice!

You simply can't beat the price. Nice place. Only wish they had the laundry up and running.

Stayed there last week and enjoyed having a shower and a soft bed. Only difference was for breakfast there was no sausage when I was there. Because of state rules they can do no cooking so the food is given to you frozen and you heat it up in the microwave.

Enjoyed talking with the caretaker and just relaxing a bit.