PDA

View Full Version : Checking out Tarptents

Jersey Tim
05-06-2011, 20:35
After a long stretch of borrowing a freestanding Hubba from a less active friend, I’m getting ready to pick up a shelter of my own and I’m thinking about a Tarptent Rainbow or Moment, the likes of which I’ve never used before. I don't know much about them beyond the info on the official site and the glittering reviews on forums like this one, so explain it to me like the single-wall newb I am: what differences will I see? What am I giving up and what do I gain along with the weight savings? And what's the functional difference between the Rainbow and Moment?

Point Man Chef
05-06-2011, 21:05
Did 5 nights out in my DR in April. First night out was on a ridge on the 15TH when that huge storm came through NC. I was doing Rock Gap to Fontana. Torrential rains and crazy wind. Corner stake pulled up twice during the night and I essentially ended up in a tent size puddle, no footprint. I could press down lightly on the floor and feel the water! Possibly bad site choice but it rained for 12 hours so??? The ground was saturated by midnight. It was a challenge given the storm. BUT! The tent was a freakin' champ and I am sold. One note: If you seam seal yours, do it twice and maybe once from the inside along the pole seam. I had one stinking slow pinpoint leak that would hit me in my forehead. Again, I'll take care of that soon with another seal. Sorry so long, but after that storm I was sold on tarp tents in general. They can shelter you effectively. Have fun choosing yours!

map man
05-06-2011, 21:46
Any single wall tent like a tarptent can form condensation on the inside of the tent in certain conditions. I don't find this to be a problem. When I get up in the morning I take my microfiber towel and reach up and wipe down the inside part of the tent where I am likely to touch the sides where I sit up and where I am likely to shift around as I dress etc. The two tents you are looking at are plenty roomy enough that you shouldn't touch the sides of the tent as you sleep. Also, a single wall tent made of silnylon (or any material that is supposed to "breathe") can let in small amounts of water vapor in a downpour but I have been in near-all-night rains in my tarptent and not had this be a problem.

A tent like a tarptent that relies on ventilation to try to prevent condensation is going to sleep a little colder than a double wall tent. On a cold night after you have been inside for a while a double wall tent is likely to be 5 to 10 degrees warmer than the outside air, while with a tarptent the air inside will be close to the same temp as the air outside. Keep this in mind when deciding on how warm a sleeping bag you want.

Key functional differences between the two tents you are looking at: the Rainbows are side entry while the Contrail is front entry. A lot a folks really prefer a side entry because getting in and out is easier and you can open it up and take in views more easilly. I have a front entry tent and get along just fine. If you use trekking poles on the ends, the Rainbow is free-standing, while the Contrail is not. With a free-standing tent you can pick it up and move it after you have pitched it much more easilly. It's also easier to tie down on a tent platform than a non-free-standing tent.

In the Contrail's favor, it is lighter than the Rainbow, as you will see from the on-line spec sheets. I have the tarptent that came before the Contrail, the Virga II (similar to the Contrail), and I like it a lot.

Reid
05-06-2011, 21:51
I'd go with the rainbow or the dr.

LIhikers
05-07-2011, 00:11
I have a Rainbow and really like it. Why, you might ask.
Because it's got a lot of room and you can sit up in it without having to get into any crazy positions. It's nice to just sit up and read in the evening before going to sleep. Of course you know it's light weight, keeps out bugs as well as weather, and can be either freestanding or staked out. I just hiked the C+O Canal with my Rainbow and it kept me nice and dry even though it rained a lot.

skinewmexico
05-07-2011, 00:18
I had a Moment, and have a Rainbow. The Moment had a nice small footprint, better in wind, and sets up incredibly fast. Lighter too, I think. Only sold it to get a Rainbow because you can sleep 2 (in a pinch) in a 2010 Rainbow, and I thought that could come in handy on Scout trips with my son. Got a Sublite and Double Rainbow too, all great tents, from an incredible company.

88BlueGT
05-07-2011, 00:40
I just received my TT Rainbow this morning. To be to the point, its a lightweight, small in pack size, nice room inside (especially for a one man tent), can sleep 2 if needed, dual beak venting system, nice vestibule, stout, tons of features, side entrance, and its free-standing or can be setup w/ out poles, annnnnnnnnnnnnnd it looks good too!

I will say though, be aware of the Rainbows advertised 33oz weight. Unfortunately, I'm sending mine back due to an issue I won't get into. Emailed HS 5 minutes ago, lets see how this goes....

Kaptain Kangaroo
05-07-2011, 06:29
I have had a TT Rainbow for about 2 years now. Great tent & has performed well. However, I am a very light sleeper & the "misting" that comes through in heavy rain keeps me awake from the constant mist of droplets on my face. So I have replaced it with a Hubba HP, double wall & only a 200g weight penalty.
(so that was my justification for replacing my Thermarest Prolite with a Neo Air :))

mark schofield
05-07-2011, 10:09
I'm going ino my 4th season with my Contrail. I've had no problems with misting and have used it in some fairly heavy and long lasting rains. I seamsealed the s**t out of it.No problems with leaks.Qualty and longevity are fine. After the thread a few months ago about the fabric's water resistance, and because the tent is getting on, I sprayed it with Atsko weather guard extreme. I'm getting itchy to buy a new tent, just for fun. The Rainboe sounds good.

swamprat
05-07-2011, 10:23
Just purchased the double rainbow for the extra room. cant wait to try it out. I am glad I got the little extra room. I would recommend!,,,

88BlueGT
05-07-2011, 12:22
I just received my TT Rainbow this morning. To be to the point, its a lightweight, small in pack size, nice room inside (especially for a one man tent), can sleep 2 if needed, dual beak venting system, nice vestibule, stout, tons of features, side entrance, and its free-standing or can be setup w/ out poles, annnnnnnnnnnnnnd it looks good too!

I will say though, be aware of the Rainbows advertised 33oz weight. Unfortunately, I'm sending mine back due to an issue I won't get into. Emailed HS 5 minutes ago, lets see how this goes....

Just to update this for anyone who cares, HS is a stand up guy (not that yo didn't already know this). I had an issue with my tent upon arrival. I emailed him and he responded within 12 hours and informed me that he will be shipping out a new tent for me ASAP, no charge of coarse.

The exchange is going as smooth as I could of possibly imagined. Stick by your suppliers and they will stick by you.

skinewmexico
05-07-2011, 16:27
I've never had an issue with misting in my Rainbows, but then again, I use the liner. I may go buy some silcone spray at Wally world and spray them, and quit carrying the liner. Probably a wash on weight though.

Singletrack
05-07-2011, 16:44
I've never had an issue with misting in my Rainbows, but then again, I use the liner. I may go buy some silcone spray at Wally world and spray them, and quit carrying the liner. Probably a wash on weight though.

Try finding the Atsko Waterguard Extreme. That is what Ron Moak recommended. I talked to the Manufacturer, and he stated it had more silicone, thus increasing the Hydrostatic Head. It will add a little bit of weight, but less than the weight of the liner.

Jersey Tim
05-07-2011, 21:29
Wow, lots of great info here! I think I'm sold on a Tarptent. Thanks for the input, everyone!

FamilyGuy
05-08-2011, 00:12
You really need to check out Six Moon Designs. Some of Ron's recent designs are pure genius.

q-tip
05-09-2011, 16:36
Used a TT Contrail for three seasons on the AT (1,000 mi) worked great...

mstone
05-11-2011, 14:36
+1 FamilyGuy. SMD keeps coming out with great stuff.

tuswm
05-12-2011, 00:05
I will say though, be aware of the Rainbows advertised 33oz weight..

I read in another thread that you got your tent seam sealed before shipping. that does add weight.

garlic08
05-12-2011, 09:24
The main issue, as I see it, with switching to a single-wall shelter is a fundamental shift in priorities. The lighter shelter is just one step in a larger process to lighten the pack load, which gives you a greater hiking range and could allow you hike places you couldn't before. The hiking trip becomes more a hiking trip and not a camping trip. That's what happened to me.

The lighter shelter provides all the basics--wind and rain protection--but with a higher futz factor. You have to spend a little more time with site selection. Standing water is absolutely no good. You have to mess around a little more with condensation. In short, you trade weight for skill and experience.

I also have spent the last four seasons with my TT Contrail, including hikes of the CDT, AT, PNT, and AZT. It's hard to imagine a wider variety of three-season hiking in the US. The tent has been perfect, and is just now starting to show some wear. I will soon replace it with another Contrail. I will state unequivocally that I could not have hiked these trails, at my age and with my body, with the added weight of a two-wall tent.

88BlueGT
05-12-2011, 12:01
I read in another thread that you got your tent seam sealed before shipping. that does add weight.

That was a different guy.

Pacemaker
05-12-2011, 12:19
I have a Rainshadow 2 (3 person at 2.5 lbs) it is awsome, I love it! This will be my 3rd season with it and my adult daughters and I have used it on many trips. There is plenty of room for the 3 of us with our packs inside the tent. I am looking forward to putting more miles and night on it this year.

I first came in contact with with a Tarptent when I met Furnature (NOBO thru hiker 2008) he had a Contrail 1.5 that he and his girlfriend (Freehand) were sleeping in. I was impressed with it and had to have one.

My 2 cents.

tuswm
05-12-2011, 22:45
That was a different guy.
Sorry my bad

So not to hi jack ...but

my TT DR is advertised at 40 oz or 2.5 lbs
Mine as I pack it is 48 oz or 3 lbs
2 stuff sack
polycro foot print
6 steaks
extra guy lines
seam sealed
dirty
modification widening

now I thought it was originally advertised at 36 oz for the 2009 model. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Because adding 8 OZ doesn't seam nearly as bad as adding 12 oz of luxury.

hshires
05-13-2011, 21:08
..now I thought it was originally advertised at 36 oz for the 2009 model. .

Nope. 40 ounces was it low as it ever got.

-H

tuswm
05-13-2011, 21:26
what does your weight include?
stuff sack?
steaks?

Any plans for cuben fiber tents?

hshires
05-13-2011, 22:48
what does your weight include?
stuff sack?
steaks?

Any plans for cuben fiber tents?

Yes, inclusive of stuffsacks and stakes. Steaks are too heavy and would spoil during shipping http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

No cuben at least for 2011. I'm loathe to tack on hundreds of dollars to the end price of our shelters.

-H

Chubbs4U
05-14-2011, 02:32
Great info

10-K
05-14-2011, 07:36
No cuben at least for 2011. I'm loathe to tack on hundreds of dollars to the end price of our shelters.

-H

I can understand that but having it as an option and continuing with your current offerings would mitigate that I would think.

I bought a cuben lightheart solo and am very happy with it and I had no problem with price premium.

Now, if you were going to discontinue silnylon tents and sell cuben only that would be a different story.

10-K
05-14-2011, 14:39
A cuben Rainbow would be awesome....

I've probably said it a dozen times already but that's the best 1 person tent design I've ever seen.

Bags4266
05-14-2011, 15:42
6 steaks!!! I never pack my food in with my tent.

4Bears
05-14-2011, 22:50
Yes, inclusive of stuffsacks and stakes. Steaks are too heavy and would spoil during shipping http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

-H

Steaks would be a nice bonus Henry, :-? maybe ship it all in one of those fancy styrofoam containers like that outfit out in Omaha. :D Ordering soon.