PDA

View Full Version : Clothes and sleeping gear for a March 1st start date

Leebob
05-06-2011, 20:52
Folks,

I'm looking at a start date for a NOBO hike of 1 March 2012...I'm trying to keep my clothing and sleep systems as lightweight as possible (without getting downright silly)

Here's my tentative list (worn, carried, and slept in)...feedback is most appreciated!

I'm interested in keeping my pack weight as low as possible without freezing my butt off and I'm a pretty warm sleeper. I would plan on shipping some of this stuff home and swapping out around Mt Rogers in Virgina...

fleece balaclava
cheap stocking cap
short sleeve wicking t-shirt
lightweight polypro tops/bottoms
midweight polypro tops and bottoms
fleece liner gloves
fleece outer gloves
down vest (Westers Mountaineering Flight vest)
Montbell Thermawrap jacket
breathable wind pants
breathable wind jacket
2 pairs wool socks (Darn Tough probably)
convertible 2-in-1 pants
UA heat gear 6" boxer briefs (and lots of powder)
Packa rain jacket (with an extra pack liner)
Rain chaps
20 degree rated Western Mountaineering bag (Antelope - older model)
3/4 neo-air or 3/4 prolite mattress

Any insights and suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks! :-?

map man
05-06-2011, 22:10
From reading a lot of trail journals I can tell you that many who start as early as you plan to find they get mighty cold some nights in a 20 degree bag. If you truly do sleep warm then you will probably be fine (and it looks like you've got warm stuff you can wear at night too), but erring on the side of caution when deciding on a sleeping bag is not a bad idea.

You may not need both the down vest and the thermawrap jacket, if you are looking for weight savings. Even if it is really cold in camp I would think that a top and Montbell jacket, and wind jacket, and rain jacket would be enough.