PDA

View Full Version : Good warm shirts to take. Also, compression.

tolkien
05-06-2011, 21:02
I'd like a recommendation for an, ideally long-sleeve, shirt to take on a SoBo thru-hike. It needs to be warm but not hot, and it needs to have wicking properties, to a degree. Also, I would prefer it not be one of those form-fitting UA shirts.

Also, a good cheap way to reduce the volume of clothing and small random objects: place them in Hefty OneZip bag, open the slide top a slight bit, place something sturdy on top of the bag, and kneel on it. It pushes all the air out: I fit 4 pairs of socks (2 of them ultra-heavy wool mountaineering socks) in a 10in by 10in bag. Doesnt require special bags or pumps.

Blissful
05-07-2011, 16:02
I liked my smartwool long sleeve top for colder conditions. Also I believe a wind shirt if helpful

flemdawg1
05-09-2011, 12:01
Check out the C9 shirts at Target or Starter brand shirts at Walmart, they're probably on clearance right now.

Skid.
05-10-2011, 21:44
I've heard good things about Body Armor, plan on adding one to my pack next hike.

88BlueGT
05-12-2011, 13:07
I agree about not using the form-fitting UA shirts, especially when its really cold out. I don't know why but I feel that cold air gets inside the shirts and the shirts locks the cold in. So your hiking getting hot but if you stop and air gets in, I get the chills constantly.

Tipi Walter
05-12-2011, 14:26
I liked my smartwool long sleeve top for colder conditions. Also I believe a wind shirt if helpful

EXACTLY what I was gonna recommend. For summer use I put up my winter Icebreaker tops and go to the lighter weight Smartwool zip neck midweight tops---two sandwiched together---an extra large over a large. Why two? Cuz one alone is a little thin for cool summer nights.