PDA

View Full Version : Warm shirts (repost from less-traveled thru-hike forum)

tolkien
05-06-2011, 21:26
I'd like a recommendation for an, ideally long-sleeve, shirt to take on a SoBo thru-hike. It needs to be warm but not hot, and it needs to have wicking properties, to a degree.

Also, I would prefer it not be one of those form-fitting UA shirts: as hard as it may be to believe, I do not believe hiking lends itself to the upper-torso that does well in a form-fitting shirt.

gumball
05-07-2011, 06:25
I use a lot of my running gear when I hike. Nike and several other companies make loose, light wicking shirts made for layering. I have two that are not turtle necks, but have a slightly raised neck and a bit of a longer sleeve with a thumb hole that, when you pop your finger through, kind of works like half of a glove on your hand...if that makes sense. Anyway, you might google running gear and look at the choices for winter gear there.

Hope that helps.

Grinder
05-07-2011, 07:27
Unless it's really cold, I have learned to leave the warm stuff in the pack until I reach camp/ the shelter. Too many times, Like every time except during a blizzard, I have started out from camp and had to stop and remove my insulating layer within minutes of starting out.

I now carry a down jacket for "camp only" use.

Imitating Stumpknocker, I now wear a wind stopper of some kind. I have yet to spend enough to get a top of the line "windshirt" like stumpy wears, but I'm watching the for sale forums and "some day" I'll be there. The big difference in "top of the line" seems to be ventilation. Like pit zips specifically.

LDog
05-07-2011, 09:54
I'm planning to head nobo towards the end of March, and for shoulder seasons, I'm thinking light or intermediate long-sleeve base layer, a hiking shirt, and a Marmot Driclime Windshirt. If I need more than that, I'll have my goretex shell, and a down sweater in my pack. Come summer, I'll have a short sleeve Smartwool tee, my hiking shirt, and the windshirt and gore shell stuffed in my pack...

Fiddleback
05-07-2011, 10:20
I no longer hit the AT but in my home range I use a Zyflex Performance Dry Long Sleeve Shirt (found here, http://www.zyflexsportswear.com/products/drylongslv.html ). I usually wear it in combination with a nylon fishing vest (one of those with a dozen pockets). My shirt is white and it does a great job of keeping the sun and bugs off yet is not too hot in doing so. It should do well in high humidity but, happily, that's one condition I no longer face.:D Zyflex also makes short sleeve versions as welll as long sleeve and short sleeve compression shirts. Both ls and ss make a good base layer, IMO. The only downside I've noticed is that they snag easily (not tear).

You AT'er's may appreciate that the company is located near Richmond, VA.

I also like a lightweight Smartwool for cooler weather but the Smartwools are about three times the price.

FB

sbhikes
05-07-2011, 21:09
I like to wear what PCT hikers call a "desert hiking shirt" but I just call it a hiking shirt. Keeps sun off when hot and is warm enough to hike in when cold. Anything from a fishing shirt with pockets to a fancy Rail Riders or whatever. It doesn't matter much.

If it's extra cold, I will wear another shirt under it. I hiked part of the PCT with a cheap, $3 polyester knit long-sleeved shirt under my hiking shirt. No name brand, no style, piece o'crap, but it did the job just fine.