PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol stove indoors

CTGuy
05-07-2011, 04:45
I tried making a super cat alcohol stove indoors which didn't end up working right probably because i used a 5 ounce can instead of 3 ounce and didnt put enough holes in it. Basically it just burned really big and burned out really quick. I used it indoors and didnt think to open the window or door and am currently posting because i feel extremely lightheaded. Should i be concerned about this? Has anyone else experienced this? Am i just overreacting?

JAK
05-07-2011, 06:04
What kind of fuel was it? Maybe just an adrenaline rush. If you did produce some CO is probably wasn't much, and your body will soon get rid of it. Limit the amount of fuel. You shouldn't have to burn more than 1 oz at a time.

MkBibble
05-07-2011, 11:25
What did you do with the contents of the can (beer?)? Just asking....

Snowleopard
05-07-2011, 11:41
It sounds like carbon monoxide poisoning. If you don't feel OK by now go to the emergency room (have somebody else drive). Even if you feel OK, call your doctor or poison control center, describe what happened and ask if you should be seen by a doctor. You're probably fine, but I don't know enough medicine to say so. If this happens again, put out the flame and go outside immediately. TEST YOUR STOVES OUTSIDE.

Alcohol stoves produce a lot of carbon monoxide, even when working properly. A bad design might produce a lot of carbon monoxide. Maybe it doesn't matter when you use them outdoors, but inside a tent or inside a house it could certainly cause problems. BPL has an article on stoves and carbon monoxide, but you might need to be a member to read it: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/stoves_tents_carbon_monoxide_pt_4.html

200 ppm (parts per million) -- health and safety limit for CO exposure for 15 minute exposure in the UK and limit in USA for transient exposure. Mild headache, fatigue, nausea, dizziness. Many alcohol stoves will produce this level or more, though it's hard to figure what your exposure level would be in your room or tent.

atraildreamer
05-08-2011, 11:30
I have tested alcohol stoves indoors, but some precautions must be taken.

I placed the stove to be tested in an empty pie pan (to catch any spilled alcohol) set on top of the electric range (I would not do this on a gas range which has a pilot light...for obvious reasons :eek: ) which had a ventilation hood over it. The exhaust fan was on the "High" setting to get rid of the fumes.

I kept an empty pot handy to place over the soda can stove to smother the flames, if necessary.

Never start with more than 1/4 ounce of fuel...don't overfill the stove, especially if the stove is a pressurized type. If the first burn is successful, then go to 1/2 ounce of fuel. You'll soon get a feel for the proper amount of fuel to use.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy (always a good item to have in a kitchen, even if not stove testing.). :eek:

Rick500
05-08-2011, 11:40
Better safe than sorry, so get outside when and if this ever happens again, but... It's my understanding that burning alcohol produces CO2 and water vapor. You'd have to severely starve it of oxygen for carbon monoxide to be produced from burning alcohol.

oops56
05-08-2011, 12:27
I have tested alcohol stoves indoors, but some precautions must be taken.

I placed the stove to be tested in an empty pie pan (to catch any spilled alcohol) set on top of the electric range (I would not do this on a gas range which has a pilot light...for obvious reasons :eek: ) which had a ventilation hood over it. The exhaust fan was on the "High" setting to get rid of the fumes.

I kept an empty pot handy to place over the soda can stove to smother the flames, if necessary.

Never start with more than 1/4 ounce of fuel...don't overfill the stove, especially if the stove is a pressurized type. If the first burn is successful, then go to 1/2 ounce of fuel. You'll soon get a feel for the proper amount of fuel to use.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy (always a good item to have in a kitchen, even if not stove testing.). :eek:
save the fire extinguisher for last water will put out a alcohol fire out fast

vamelungeon
05-08-2011, 17:05
When we had no power in Dec. 2009 we used a Trangia on a pizza pan on our bar to cook for several days. We didn't do anything special for ventilation but I guess it depends on the size of the enclosed space and how airtight it is. We didn't have any problems.