PDA

View Full Version : AT Hot Springs trivia question

10-K
05-07-2011, 06:57
Having discovered the Roundtop Ridge trail, which is the old AT, that goes into Hot Springs I will never, ever in my life again take the current AT into town because a) it is approximately 5 miles longer and b) the Roundtop Ridge trail is a smooth, well graded, rock free easy walk whereas the official route meanders around with ups and downs with the rocky, steep drop into town.

If you don't know about it, pull out a map and have a look. You won't regret using it, I promise.

Does anyone know....

1. When was the AT routed changed?

It was about the same time as the overpass over the highway was finished I would guess...

2. Why was it changed?

The Roundtop Ridge trail is the bomb - what possessed the ATC to add several miles to the AT when such a sensible, easy way into town is available.

Grinder
05-07-2011, 07:11
My theory on the trail "philosophy" is:

The trail was developed by and is maintained by hiking enthusiasts.

It rarely takes the easiest or most obvious route that a "normal" human being would select to get from a to b.

When looking for a summit while climbing, I have learned to look around for the highest land in sight and then, resigning myself to accept that that is where I'm going to get over the top.

The trail is about hiking, not getting somewhere efficiently.

10-K
05-07-2011, 07:23

I get that...

But, the RTR Trail *was* the AT - and it's a great trail and probably as close to perfect way into Hot Springs that you could imagine.

...then, someone decided to add several more difficult miles and say, "Now this is the AT."

What's up with that?

ShelterLeopard
05-07-2011, 08:14
Having discovered the Roundtop Ridge trail, which is the old AT, that goes into Hot Springs I will never, ever in my life again take the current AT into town because a) it is approximately 5 miles longer and b) the Roundtop Ridge trail is a smooth, well graded, rock free easy walk whereas the official route meanders around with ups and downs with the rocky, steep drop into town.

If you don't know about it, pull out a map and have a look. You won't regret using it, I promise.

Does anyone know....

1. When was the AT routed changed?

It was about the same time as the overpass over the highway was finished I would guess...

2. Why was it changed?

The Roundtop Ridge trail is the bomb - what possessed the ATC to add several miles to the AT when such a sensible, easy way into town is available.

I really liked taking the AT into Hot Springs, actually. It was the first day I felt truly fit and had a light pack, so I ran most of the way in. It was a fun terrain, and a beautiful day. A mellow trail run. Of course, my pack was light because I had eaten most of my food. Yet another reason to run. Smokey Mtn Diner. Yes.

Anyway, I sometimes like to have a trail that changes, like the trail into HS. I like steep sometimes. But out of Damascus I took the Creeper Trail. So I like changing things up sometimes.

And it seems like bits of the trail are always changing... crazy ATC!

Pedaling Fool
05-07-2011, 08:25
My theory on the trail "philosophy" is:

The trail was developed by and is maintained by hiking enthusiasts.

It rarely takes the easiest or most obvious route that a "normal" human being would select to get from a to b.

When looking for a summit while climbing, I have learned to look around for the highest land in sight and then, resigning myself to accept that that is where I'm going to get over the top.

I get that too...but the problem is in doing that sometimes they're too obvious in the zig-zagging they make you hike. It really irritates me when a trail zig-zags when you can plainly see where your destination is, but you're forced to take a turn here and a turn there.....

Montana Mac
05-07-2011, 08:33
Maybe they are dyslexic when they read" It's about the smiles not the miles" :D

Pedaling Fool
05-07-2011, 08:51
...or maybe they're not AT enthusiasts at all...maybe they're hampster enthusiasts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aekX6aOvSEQ&feature=related)

10-K
05-07-2011, 08:54
I get that too...but the problem is in doing that sometimes they're too obvious in the zig-zagging they make you hike. It really irritates me when a trail zig-zags when you can plainly see where your destination is, but you're forced to take a turn here and a turn there.....

This is a major distinction between the AT and the BMT.

On the AT, very often if you want to know where the trail is going - just look for the most difficult route you could imagine and you'll surprise yourself on how often you were right.

On the BMT, within a few days it was very clear that quite often the way the trail went was the most efficient way of getting somewhere. For instance, it doesn't go over the top of every mountain for no good reason.

And, it's not just about distance - again using the BMT as an example - it's quite a bit longer than the AT from Springer to Davenport Gap. But it's a lot more fun to hike because it's just a more efficient trail.

I don't mind hiking, and I expect to encounter steep and often difficult climbs - we are in the mountains after all. But it shouldn't be more difficult than it has to be (IMO).

10-K
05-07-2011, 08:59
I really liked taking the AT into Hot Springs, actually. It was the first day I felt truly fit and had a light pack, so I ran most of the way in. !

You were hiking NOBO..

You'd take the trail I'm talking about *out* of Hot Springs.

And you'd like it a lot more than the current AT unless you're a masochist.

ShelterLeopard
05-07-2011, 09:14
Whoops. Yep. Hike outta Hot Springs was murder. But I put that down to two zeros and a full pack of food...

John- that hampster tunnel reminds me of the NoBo descent into Erwin, TN... I could HEAR people at the hostel for what felt like half a mile. And see the road. But you keep getting farther. And farther. And nearer. And farther.

10-K
05-07-2011, 09:18
John- that hampster tunnel reminds me of the NoBo descent into Erwin, TN... I could HEAR people at the hostel for what felt like half a mile. And see the road. But you keep getting farther. And farther. And nearer. And farther.

doritotex
05-07-2011, 09:37
I was on the Ridgetop Ridge trail this Wednesday...played hooky from work! It's a great trail, the mountain laurels are blooming! I think they rerouted the AT back in 1975 to create a more scenic route up Lover's Leap. It's a much quicker way up to the Rich Mountain fire tower if you are looking for a quick day hike.

Pedaling Fool
05-07-2011, 19:31
Whoops. Yep. Hike outta Hot Springs was murder. But I put that down to two zeros and a full pack of food...

Yeah, a sure sign you're no longer in the green tunnel. You are now in the Hampster Tunnel.:)

ShelterLeopard
05-07-2011, 20:13
Except instead of cheese at the end of my HT I smell PIZZA!

gunner76
05-07-2011, 20:54
Much of the AT has been re-routed over the years as sections get too much use ect ect.

Hiking the AT is not about taking the most direct route but hiking the trail and enjoying the hike as is.

Coming down the mountain on a day hike (south bound) into Hot Springs last fall I managed to pull a leg muscle. Still a nice hike.

4shot
05-19-2011, 10:08
10-K...will give that trail a look. At last minute, my wife and I are planning a quick sobo hike from maybe sam's Gap back to Hot Springs starting this coming Sunday. Don't recall alot of that hike other than the climb by lover's leap. any thoughts or comments...sounds like you've been thru there recently. Thanks.

10-K
05-19-2011, 10:22
10-K...will give that trail a look. At last minute, my wife and I are planning a quick sobo hike from maybe sam's Gap back to Hot Springs starting this coming Sunday. Don't recall alot of that hike other than the climb by lover's leap. any thoughts or comments...sounds like you've been thru there recently. Thanks.

Starting at Sam's Gap would definitely be the way to go as far as elevation gain/loss is concerned. The steepest climbs of this section are south of Allen's Gap as you approach Rich Mt.

Water and places to camp are abundant and shelters spaced at the most 8 miles apart all the way. Jerry's Cabin shelter is kind of a ghetto but the other shelters are pretty clean as far as shelters go.

Definitely checkout the Roundtop Ridge trail if you're looking for a smooth approach into Hot Springs. Besides saving several miles it's just an awesome trail. 90% of it you could probably ride a mountain bike down. The trail is plainly marked with a USFS trail marker sign - can't miss it. You'll come out at a water tank. Just follow the only road all the way down to the river and then walk into Hot Springs - very easy. 3.5 miles vs 7.5 on the AT.

Oh, and if you have some time to spare Hemlock Hollow is a really great place to grab a hot meal and some coffee or a coke.

ChinMusic
05-19-2011, 10:30
I have always wondered about the route over Pond (after Kincora). Seemed kinda pointless, when I bet the orig route just took you over to the Lake.

Nean
05-19-2011, 11:27
I have always wondered about the route over Pond (after Kincora). Seemed kinda pointless, when I bet the orig route just took you over to the Lake.

They took the trail off the top of Pond Mtn. years ago.;)
The trail is much easier than it was 20 years ago.:)

Tennessee Viking
05-19-2011, 11:31
I have always wondered about the route over Pond (after Kincora). Seemed kinda pointless, when I bet the orig route just took you over to the Lake.From what I learned, the old AT used to be the old blue blaze and crossed US321 near Hampton behind some private property and continued over to the lake. The ATC later decided to move the trail over Pond Mountain.

The trail used to came out at 321 near the USFS Rat Branch Boat Ramp. The terrian through the Rat Branch drainage soon became unsuitable, and trail was moved to where it comes out at Shook Branch drainage now.

I can only guess the trail was routed to the top of Pond Flats just for the natural occuring pond there. After walking Pond, I really wanted it to cross over to Shook Branch a whole lot sooner. But at least some of the views of the gorge from the ridgecrest are nice.

TEHCC just completed a couple relocations south of Pond Flats for a more gradual grade this past weekend. Its still heck of a climb.

Nean
05-19-2011, 11:36
Oh, and if you have some time to spare Hemlock Hollow is a really great place to grab a hot meal and some coffee or a coke.

My old neighbors at the bottom of Log Cabin Rd. Glad to hear you enjoyed it- nice folks. I lived at the other end of the road - actually the trail doesn't cross the road- it crosses the driveway to our old place.:)

ChinMusic
05-19-2011, 11:45
TEHCC just completed a couple relocations south of Pond Flats for a more gradual grade this past weekend. Its still heck of a climb.
I saw the flags there some time ago. I figured the relo would take some of the steepness out and decrease erosion.

I hope to work Hard Core with Bob after Trail Days during my 2013 thru. Not sure I can swing a pick or shovel for very long tho.....:D

4shot
05-20-2011, 10:01
Starting at Sam's Gap would definitely be the way to go as far as elevation gain/loss is concerned. The steepest climbs of this section are south of Allen's Gap as you approach Rich Mt.

heading to Hot Springs tomorrow!!!