PDA

View Full Version : Showers in Hot Springs

sizemj
05-07-2011, 09:09
I am doing a section hike and will be finishing up at Hot springs. Any where I can grab a shower before getting in the car for a 5 hour drive. (I will pay for it). Last two section hikes I did finished at NOC to have a beer and a shower. Also is the Smoky Mountain Diner in Hot Springs good?

10-K
05-07-2011, 09:13
Just got back from hiking to Hot Springs...

For $13 before 6:00 PM you can get an hour soak in a hot tub - best way I've ever ended a hike *ever* and better than any shower I've ever had. :)

Smoky Mt. Diner I would rate as fair/satisfactory. Reasonably priced and a menu with a wide variety of choices.

sizemj
05-07-2011, 09:45
thanks 10-K

sizemj
05-07-2011, 09:45
Is that at the Resort?

10-K
05-07-2011, 09:49
Is that at the Resort?

Yes... I've actually been there a few times and never had a problem getting a soak within 30 minutes.

It's really great and would be perfect before a long drive if you could stay awake afterwards. :)

Bootstrap
05-07-2011, 09:56
Hope you showered before jumping in the tub ...

sizemj
05-07-2011, 10:07
I could always go for a swim in the French Broad : )

10-K
05-07-2011, 10:11
Hope you showered before jumping in the tub ...

Not necessary. Tubs are drained and scrubbed between customers.

(we asked....)

booney_1
05-07-2011, 10:12
A couple of years ago the camp ground that is next to the French Broad offered showers also. I can't remember the price, but we did the hot tubs instead. They also have showers.

The Counselor
05-07-2011, 18:09
10k we hiked from Cosby campground up to HS from Monday to Thursday and then stayed in HS until this morning. Would have been nice to run into you. Had a great hike. Lost two of our group at Max Patch road. Me and my other buddy finished up without them. It was more grueling and more beautiful than I anticipated.

Beachcomber
05-07-2011, 19:06
Not necessary. Tubs are drained and scrubbed between customers.

(we asked....)

I like the Japanese approach: Wash yourself first, then soak a clean body in the hot tub. Why spend a luxurious hour floating in a week's worth of dirt?

1azarus
05-07-2011, 21:52
No showers available at the spa but you can do whatever you want with your hot tub of water...which is big enough to dilute your trail dirt. I suggest bathing then washing your clothes. I even asked, being being the ever-respectful hiker.

WILLIAM HAYES
05-08-2011, 01:17
showers are available at the campground the smoky mountain diner is good big portions if you are hungry try the hot tubs while you are there

skoolbyrd
05-10-2011, 22:55
10-K, I'm debating between a two-nighter from Erwin heading South or a two-nighter from Max Patch to Hot Springs. Any suggestions? We have a group of 4 that did Roan Mtn Highlands last time out. Seems like you're pretty familiar. Thanks in advance.
skoolbyrd

10-K
05-11-2011, 07:21
10-K, I'm debating between a two-nighter from Erwin heading South or a two-nighter from Max Patch to Hot Springs. Any suggestions? We have a group of 4 that did Roan Mtn Highlands last time out. Seems like you're pretty familiar. Thanks in advance.
skoolbyrd

I would rather start in Erwin and hike south than start at Max Patch and hike to Hot Springs for sure.

After Max Patch, the hike to Hot Springs is so-so (IMO).

Starting in Erwin hiking south takes you over the Big Bald section which is very impressive on a clear day. There are too many great campsites to count and you'll find good water at least once an hour between Erwin and Devil's Fork Gap.

Bearpaw
05-11-2011, 12:36
I am doing a section hike and will be finishing up at Hot springs. Any where I can grab a shower before getting in the car for a 5 hour drive. (I will pay for it). Last two section hikes I did finished at NOC to have a beer and a shower. Also is the Smoky Mountain Diner in Hot Springs good?

The Smoky Mountain Diner is pretty good and the portions are hiker sized. :banana I eat there most every trip to Hot Springs.

However, a great restaurant up the road, just before the railroad tracks is Rock Bottom. More expensive, but still casual dining. Great buffalo burger and other entrees.

Bare Bear
05-11-2011, 15:56
Best CHEFS SALAD ever at the Diner. Their BBQ is good too, and the fries, and all the other things we ate. Sorry for the limited review but I ate there just the one time. :)

SmokeEater
05-11-2011, 16:56
Smoky Mt Diner has pretty good food. Big portions! We done a section hike into hot springs this year. Went to Rock Bottom Bar and grill that night WOW bring your wallet. Didnt know till we went to pay that pitchers of bud was 15 bucks. Guess I should have asked first.

Bearpaw
05-11-2011, 18:59
Smoky Mt Diner has pretty good food. Big portions! We done a section hike into hot springs this year. Went to Rock Bottom Bar and grill that night WOW bring your wallet. Didnt know till we went to pay that pitchers of bud was 15 bucks. Guess I should have asked first.

Yeah, if you want to drink for reasonable prices in Hot Springs, the smart money is to buy from the awesome collection of beers and wine at the camp store by the river. Then enjoy in your room or campsite.

Erin
05-11-2011, 21:41
The hot tub by the river is worth it. Best ever.

Hikes in Rain
05-12-2011, 06:26
Kinda makes me feel sorry that I'm only spending Monday night in Hot Springs.

Hikes in Rain
05-12-2011, 06:28
..... the awesome collection of beers and wine at the camp store by the river.....

THAT got my interest! I'm a self-professed beer snob. Could you elaborate, please? :D

soulrebel
05-12-2011, 08:36
Bought a cheap cotton t-shirt and asked a store owner if I could use their hose and bucket out back. shampoo from the dollar store. Bathed in my shorts while enjoying a 12 pack that another store owner cut me for $6. Elmer's was always a downer for me, now I've got new digs...

Spent the money saved on laundry/showering on a nice burger and beer at the fancy place there...HYOH

Bearpaw
05-12-2011, 18:13
THAT got my interest! I'm a self-professed beer snob. Could you elaborate, please? :D

The camp store there has a better selection of beers than a large grocery store. In addition to your standard domestics and imports, you have maybe 2 dozen regional and microbrew type beers there. You walk into a little camp store not expecting much and BAM! About 1/3 of the store is devoted to beer.

sizemj
05-16-2011, 08:53
Did the soak at the resort after my hike. It was worth the 13 dollars. Smoky Mountain Dinners food was very good and a good prices. (Cheaper than the 9 dollar Hamburger at NOC)