PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Carver's Gap

lilroo
05-07-2011, 21:09
Does anyone know about overnight parking at Carver's Gap? I realize anything can happen, just wondered if there are lots of reports of vandalism.

Thanks!

Marta
05-08-2011, 07:29
We've done it a number of times without problem. I think there have been a few incidents, but not a lot. As always, don't leave anything of great value in the car, and stow whatever you do leave out of sight.

lilroo
05-08-2011, 10:10
We've done it a number of times without problem. I think there have been a few incidents, but not a lot. As always, don't leave anything of great value in the car, and stow whatever you do leave out of sight.

Thanks Marta! I read on the park's website that they charge $3 per car for parking... is that in effect? In the past have you had to get permission?

mweinstone
05-08-2011, 10:21
this threds a good oppurtunity to share what we do here in the getto to help car theives not steel so much.lol.

push front seats all the way rearward and put seatbacks forward

completly empty glove box but for manual and leave glovebox door open

remove all objects from above visors and all coin from floors and console

do not leave pack of matches or empty cup or any object visible

buy a 10$ cover for radio that snaps on and looks like a removed radio with wires

write to colt arms manufacturing and get a sticker that just has the horse emblem on it for bumper

lilroo
05-08-2011, 10:31
Mweinstone... YOU ARE A GENIUS! That is great advice and hilarious all at the same time! I live in the hood on behalf of a local ministry and I've never thought of this! Great! Thanks!

Marta
05-08-2011, 10:58
Thanks Marta! I read on the park's website that they charge $3 per car for parking... is that in effect? In the past have you had to get permission?

I don't think so. There are parking spaces alongside the highway that are certainly free.

You may be unclear about which parking area you're reading about. Carver's Gap is a wide space at the NC/TN state line. There's also a small parking lot with a pit toilet nearby.

From there, there's a seasonal road up which you can drive to get to Rhododendron Gardens. I've never driven up there (I just walk...:rolleyes:) so I can't speak to parking fees there. Last year there was a major repaving project on that road.

There's also, a few miles away, Roan Mountain State Park. They probably have a parking fee, since I think most TN state parks do.