PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous gear philosophies?

tolkien
05-07-2011, 21:52
It seems to me, with my fairly decent outdoor experience, that every once in a blue moon (and not even that often on this site) you find a gear list(especially the really light ones) that tends to forgo some very vital things in favor of saving an ounce here and there: people carrying 13lbs of gear and a half-ton of "god I hope that doesn't happen".

Has anybody ever run into hikers like that? And I'm not talking about your typical "ultralight" list: those are a bit spartan, but intelligently so. Some people seem to be leaving out things like anti-septic or toothpaste: wouldn't an infection or other easily-prevented issue do a lot more to end a hike than the 4 ounces it takes to haul a bit of Iodine around?
Any response would be nice: I'm trying to re-tune my normal camping/hiking gear for a long trek and sometimes it's difficult to separate the spartan from the stupid.

fiddlehead
05-07-2011, 22:02
You hit a town every few days on the AT. You can take care of things like that then.
I say, if you haven't used an item in your pack today or yesterday, send it home or throw it out. (raingear, ductape, needle and dental floss would be exceptions for me)
But that's me.
You make your own decisions out there.

BradMT
05-07-2011, 22:14
Agreed... the AT is quite civilized except for a couple portions in New England.

TinaLouise
05-07-2011, 22:22
I ran into a couple (male & female) that had packed every wrong item you can think of. They were only doing a short hike, a few days or so. The list is way to long to talk about what all they brought. But what they didn't bring was some kind of water purification system. They had nothing!!! Well I was carrying both those yucky iodine tablets and the aquamira drops. So I gave them the tablets and told them how to use them. Every person should have some type of way of making clean water to drink.

One safety item that most people should carry is a whistle.

Papa D
05-07-2011, 22:28
Depending on weather and season the AT can be either as remote or as civilized as you make it. The lighter and faster you are, the more civilized it can be - if you can do 25s you can get where ever you want. If you do 8s, well .....
Now, that said, there is still a balance. It is foolhardy to forget essential items, true and newbies should start out light but well supplied. As you improve and hone your skills, you may choose to "risk" dropping a few items - this is the art of it all.

JP
05-07-2011, 22:32
Stay warm,dry,and hydrated. I bounce between 14 and 30 lbs. Just depends on my mood at the time, how many miles I am shooting for and weather I want to enjoy camping or hiking.

If you dont carry it, dont ask to use it.(But if I think you realy need it I would give you whatever I had.)

grayfox
05-07-2011, 22:33
+1 on what Papa D said. A lot depends on the physical fitness of the hiker. Fast and light can put more than one town in reach in a day--if you are not sick or injured.

When I see a short list, I usually figure it is a 'work in progress'.

Mags
05-07-2011, 23:32
I'm trying to re-tune my normal camping/hiking gear for a long trek and sometimes it's difficult to separate the spartan from the stupid.

You mention camping/hiking...

And that's the rub.

On a long *hiking* trip, you are camping to hike more. Your gear list should reflect more comfort while hiking.

I think many AT thru-hikers start off with a camping mentality for backpacking. Once they get into a hiking mentality (if?) the gear load goes down.

Just my .02 worth...

Hikerhead
05-07-2011, 23:35
It seems to me, with my fairly decent outdoor experience, that every once in a blue moon (and not even that often on this site) you find a gear list(especially the really light ones) that tends to forgo some very vital things in favor of saving an ounce here and there: people carrying 13lbs of gear and a half-ton of "god I hope that doesn't happen".

Has anybody ever run into hikers like that? And I'm not talking about your typical "ultralight" list: those are a bit spartan, but intelligently so. Some people seem to be leaving out things like anti-septic or toothpaste: wouldn't an infection or other easily-prevented issue do a lot more to end a hike than the 4 ounces it takes to haul a bit of Iodine around?
Any response would be nice: I'm trying to re-tune my normal camping/hiking gear for a long trek and sometimes it's difficult to separate the spartan from the stupid.

Butt Rash is all you really need to care about then and there. Everything else can wait till you get to town.

BradMT
05-08-2011, 00:11
I ran into a couple (male & female) that had packed every wrong item you can think of. They were only doing a short hike, a few days or so. The list is way to long to talk about what all they brought. But what they didn't bring was some kind of water purification system. They had nothing!!! Well I was carrying both those yucky iodine tablets and the aquamira drops. So I gave them the tablets and told them how to use them. Every person should have some type of way of making clean water to drink.

One safety item that most people should carry is a whistle.

A whistle and water purification... hmm. Interesting.

Jonnycat
05-08-2011, 00:41
Butt Rash is all you really need to care about then and there. Everything else can wait till you get to town.

Cleanliness is next to godliness.

beakerman
05-08-2011, 00:54
I don't walk across the street without mole skin...forget any miles in the woods. I've seen infections from a scratch get bad enough to put you in the hossy in 2 days so a 4 ounce neosporin or germex (it hurts like heck though) does wonders to keep you on the trail.

Yes there are plenty of things you can leave at home but some basic first aid is just that basic...

Panzer1
05-08-2011, 01:26
if you do go into town to buy something like a tube of antibiotic ointment, then after you use it you don't to throw it out because you paid so much for it and because you're a cheap ass. So then you end up carrying it all the way to Maine.

Panzer

skinewmexico
05-08-2011, 01:26

And that's the rub.

On a long *hiking* trip, you are camping to hike more. Your gear list should reflect more comfort while hiking.

I think many AT thru-hikers start off with a camping mentality for backpacking. Once they get into a hiking mentality (if?) the gear load goes down.

Just my .02 worth...

Wow. Talk about a stroke of clarity.

WildTomato
05-08-2011, 04:40
How about leaving the 14 inch Bowie Combat Knifes off the trail?

:eek:

russb
05-08-2011, 06:51
The most important piece of gear is the one between one's ears. If you leave that at home, yes you will be stupid. As that piece of gear gets more use, it can take over for other things and those, now redundant, items can be left at home.

Kaptain Kangaroo
05-08-2011, 06:59
The items that generate a suprising amount of debate on this forum are maps & compass. I have always treated them like a first aid kit....sure, I never seem to need them, but in an emergency they could make all the difference.

I think it is important to be prepared in case things go bad. How to handle the weather turning bad, an injury, illness or any other reason that means you need to get off the mountain quickly, or even just take an alternate route.

I know a lot of people will disagree. I mean, on the AT it is impossible to get lost as long as you have your eyes open & your brain switched on.......but I was amazed at the number of people who, while they knew they were on the trail, had no idea of actually where they were.

10-K
05-08-2011, 07:25

That sums it up very nicely.

One of the things I've also realized is that I didn't really need all that stuff to be "comfortable in camp" after all.

Anytime I say, "Well, I might need this." - it stays.

kanga
05-08-2011, 07:32
there is indeed a gap between spartan and stupid. just as there is a gap between comfort and hygiene. people who are spartan usually don't carry much in the way of comfort items, like a pillow, or camp shoes. stupid people don't carry basic hygiene and safety items. or an extra day's worth of dinner. then they try to bum it off of someone else when they need it. and then those same people get mad when you won't give up yours..

mudhead
05-08-2011, 07:56
That sums it up very nicely.

One of the things I've also realized is that I didn't really need all that stuff to be "comfortable in camp" after all.

Anytime I say, "Well, I might need this." - it stays.

It stays home, correct?

10-K
05-08-2011, 08:11
It stays home, correct?

Thank you for the clarification. Stay home, not in the pack. :)

mweinstone
05-08-2011, 08:31
all my gear is dangerous.

wet rolled banndana whips the dudes butt sticking out of his bag awake

big girl mag baltimore jack stuffed in my pack lite on fire as jack awakes causes him to trip and fall running to save

cookpot lent to woefully unprepared newbee really wasnt rinsed out after morning bath

bloody test strips and lances strewn thruout pack cut stmblewolfs hand helping himself to more gorp without asking

but im working on some even more dangerouse theft protection:

spring loaded 22 calibre blank fired cocking tent stake discharges if removed armed, spraying would be tent theif with baltimore jack funky.

my seigg fuel bottle says in big letters i wrote on it,"H2o".

Blissful
05-08-2011, 08:51
I mean, on the AT it is impossible to get lost as long as you have your eyes open & your brain switched on........

Beg to differ. It is a lot easier than you think and from those who do have their eyes open and brains on....
Esp in rerouting areas
Or rather clarify, easy to get off trail...
I did it on Bear Mtn. I knew where to go but the trail disappeared with the construction. had to road walk

sbhikes
05-08-2011, 10:16
I think some of the stupidest gear has been what I've seen former AT hikers carry on the PCT. Canoe paddles? Hockey sticks? Stuffed animals? No shelter at all? If AT hikers aren't bringing needed items, it could be a combo of the trail culture and being new to hiking. Anyway, when it comes to First-aid stuff, some people are more prone to infection than others. My immune system is pretty bullet-proof. I still carry neosporin and water purification, but if I were to forget those items, I would continue down the trail until I could get them.

Seriously, a long distance hike isn't like going to the moon. There will be a town along soon.

Fiddleback
05-08-2011, 10:29
I like the concept of UL. I try to emulate it but still fall a little short of my goal of 14lb base weight. I think that 'failure' has as much to do with my approach as my equipment and skill level. And I think most UL'ers have the same approach...IMO, all backpackers should -- don't compromise safety, don't sacrifice comfort.

Safety and comfort can be subjective of course and can change because of season, weather, topography, natural 'threats', etc. Hiking solo impacts both...the safety concerns of solo hiking are obvious, the impact on comfort didn't hit me until I realized that I wasn't going to share the equipment weight with anybody.:eek:

The key has already been posted...think it out. It's not just about cutting weight. Just as 'comfort' isn't just about pack weight. None the less, with a lot of help from this and other forums and some other reading my backpack is about half the weight it used to be and I'm more comfortable than ever before.

I dwell on safety. After that, I fall back to the motto my Boy Scout clique voiced all the time, "Any fool can be uncomfortable."

FB

Spokes
05-08-2011, 10:30
I met guy once in 2009 who carried a pair of flip-flops he made out of some dental floss and shoe inserts. That just crossed the line of absurdity for me.

Cookerhiker
05-08-2011, 10:37
I consider a set of dry clothes essential unless doing a short hike in mid-summer (except for Northern New England), but I've seen hikers saving weight by bringing only the clothes they're wearing. On those occasions where rain has gotten me pretty wet, it's not just comfortable to have dry clothes to change into - it's also protection against hyperthermia.

Of course the worst feeling is putting the wet ones back on in the morning. But the discomfort passes quickly.:)

daddytwosticks
05-08-2011, 11:20
If my brain is the best piece of equipment to carry, how can I get it's weight down? I think mine is to heavy (and bulky). :)

skooch
05-08-2011, 11:40
Depending on weather and season the AT can be either as remote or as civilized as you make it. The lighter and faster you are, the more civilized it can be - if you can do 25s you can get where ever you want. If you do 8s, well .....
Now, that said, there is still a balance. It is foolhardy to forget essential items, true and newbies should start out light but well supplied. As you improve and hone your skills, you may choose to "risk" dropping a few items - this is the art of it all.

That's the paradox. Are we carrying more stuff because we have to move slow or are we moving slow because of too much weight? We carry too much out of fear. I can carry little bits of personal items and clothing but I'm afraid to give up on my tent and sleeping bag and that's where most of my base weight is. I'm also afraid of injury and want to enjoy myself and not push too hard. I hope as you say, to strike a balance.

LoneRidgeRunner
05-08-2011, 11:45
I agree with the philosophy.. If you elected not to carry it because it would ad a few ounces and then wish you had it..Get to the nearest town and get it but don't ask someone else to give it to you.. Hikers ahouldn't have to furnish needed items for those who would rather not carry it themselves. I'm sure there are a few with the attitude "Why should I carry this? I can bum it from some one else who was stupid enough to carry it if I need it." In fact I once saw a post here where someone said "I don't carry this. I will bum it from some one stupid enough to carry it." Wish I could remember who that was..

skooch
05-08-2011, 12:01
I agree with the philosophy.. If you elected not to carry it because it would ad a few ounces and then wish you had it..Get to the nearest town and get it but don't ask someone else to give it to you.. Hikers ahouldn't have to furnish needed items for those who would rather not carry it themselves. I'm sure there are a few with the attitude "Why should I carry this? I can bum it from some one else who was stupid enough to carry it if I need it." In fact I once saw a post here where someone said "I don't carry this. I will bum it from some one stupid enough to carry it." Wish I could remember who that was..

Ohhh that does make my bood boil:mad:

10-K
05-08-2011, 12:51
I can't imagine not bringing something with the intention of borrowing/bumming it from someone else.

Also, there are few pieces of gear the lack of which are going to result in a hiker on the AT being the star on an episode of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" but there *are* a lot of hikers who pack their packs like that might just happen.

JAK
05-08-2011, 13:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WDfbEtX0Dg

tolkien
05-08-2011, 13:28
I plan on carrying a decent first-aid kit and some extra socks, but otherwise I'm trying to cut back as much as I find reasonable on weight: but some Ultra-Super-Mega Light lists pretty much bring a tarp for sleeping, a tarp for carrying the other tarp, and some food and water. There seem to be too many variables on the trail to not bring things that "I might need if something goes wrong".
Although, the social aspect of the trail is not a big thing for me; I plan on avoiding towns unless I need something (food, etc). No motels for me.

Also, I think I read somewhere about drilling holes in the handle of a toothbrush to cut down on weight. Sounds like a good idea.

SassyWindsor
05-08-2011, 13:29
I think being an ultra-light hiker is great, it's when they cross the line and start becoming a bum that ticks other hikers off.

DavidNH
05-08-2011, 13:30
Probably the biggest thing to note here is no hiker should send cold weather gear home at Damascus (when on a Northbound Trip). The trail climes Mt Rogers after that and it can be bone chilling cold.

also, the trail goes through town every few days in the south, but that changes further north, especially north of Massachusetts. in NH and ME mountains being prepared is a lot more important than having a super light pack.

One Half
05-08-2011, 13:38
I think some people need more to be comfortable. I carry what I need to remain warm and dry and what I consider comfortable. I like to buy clothes that will keep me warm even if wet but I try my darnedest to stay dry. I don't need a pillow, I use my extra clothing. If I am just hiking for 2 days, 1 night out, I may carry a toothbrush but no paste,maybe no toothbrush, maybe a piece of chewing gum for the morning minty fresh feel and because I can chew gum again after years of not being able to. Do I not bring stuff because I figure I'll just bum it off someone? No. If it's something I want to have I pack it. But if I broke my arm and someone had a splint and they offered it I would feel no qualms about using it. You can't plan for every contingency and carry everything you could possibly need.

There is just a line between people willing to do without for a while and those who plan on bumming what they need.

One Half
05-08-2011, 13:41
I always bring a map even if I don't use it. I have had the pleasure of running out of water on a very hot weekend and used my map to get to the closest water (it wasn't listed in the guidebook as being a source since it was "off trail."

gregpphoto
05-08-2011, 13:43
I see a lack of rain gear that would frighten me. It can rain for days on end, and even in summer you get cold fast when youre wet. The other thing is lack of food protection. A bear bag will be compromised one day, its just a matter of time. Imagine youre a three-day hike into the backcountry when Mr. Bear steals everything you got. You wanna walk three days on an empty stomach? Be my guest. Some things are just worth the weight.

tolkien
05-08-2011, 14:11
I see a lack of rain gear that would frighten me. It can rain for days on end, and even in summer you get cold fast when youre wet. The other thing is lack of food protection. A bear bag will be compromised one day, its just a matter of time. Imagine youre a three-day hike into the backcountry when Mr. Bear steals everything you got. You wanna walk three days on an empty stomach? Be my guest. Some things are just worth the weight.
What can you do, other than a bear bag? A safe? Two bear bags?

tolkien
05-08-2011, 14:12
Probably the biggest thing to note here is no hiker should send cold weather gear home at Damascus (when on a Northbound Trip). The trail climes Mt Rogers after that and it can be bone chilling cold.

also, the trail goes through town every few days in the south, but that changes further north, especially north of Massachusetts. in NH and ME mountains being prepared is a lot more important than having a super light pack.
I'm southbounding next year: in less populated areas it's wiser to plan for more unlikely things.

10-K
05-08-2011, 14:18
I'm southbounding next year: in less populated areas it's wiser to plan for more unlikely things.

But you still don't have to have Crocs, Jetboil w/ extra canister, multi-tool, ground cloth, nalgene water bottles, Camelbak, etc.

This is the type of thing you can do better on without compromising your safety.

russb
05-08-2011, 15:21
If my brain is the best piece of equipment to carry, how can I get it's weight down? I think mine is to heavy (and bulky). :)

alcohol. :)

mweinstone
05-08-2011, 15:40
I can't imagine not bringing something with the intention of borrowing/bumming it from someone else.

Also, there are few pieces of gear the lack of which are going to result in a hiker on the AT being the star on an episode of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" but there *are* a lot of hikers who pack their packs like that might just happen.

things i count on sherpaing from other hikers i dont bring but require:

love
friendship
companionship
dog
hug
storys
thermal mass
human windblock
human sheild
reading writting arithmatic skills
recepies
wisdom
encouragement
kindness
johnney thunder
two beers
lwolf
phatchap
tow
dude
jones
baltimore jack
the doyle
standing bear
the place
port clinton
stars
wonder
wonder and brian
coolbreeze
maria in salsbury
wolf23000
stonewall
tank
jester
whitecrow
minnesota smith
and all my hikers

panzer is not required but available as an option

10-K
05-08-2011, 15:52
May I just say I'm distraught because I am not on your list.

Dangit.

things i count on sherpaing from other hikers i dont bring but require:

love
friendship
companionship
dog
hug
storys
thermal mass
human windblock
human sheild
reading writting arithmatic skills
recepies
wisdom
encouragement
kindness
johnney thunder
two beers
lwolf
phatchap
tow
dude
jones
baltimore jack
the doyle
standing bear
the place
port clinton
stars
wonder
wonder and brian
coolbreeze
maria in salsbury
wolf23000
stonewall
tank
jester
whitecrow
minnesota smith
and all my hikers

panzer is not required but available as an option

Blissful
05-08-2011, 16:01
White crow? Like in White Crow from 2007?

dbigard
05-08-2011, 18:14
every hiker should start out with 110 lbs of gear--that way they can leave a gear trail from ammicola falls to neels gap--- and have it down to 35 lbs by neels gap----seems that way in the springs!!!!!

Wolf - 23000
05-08-2011, 18:34
every hiker should start out with 110 lbs of gear--that way they can leave a gear trail from ammicola falls to neels gap--- and have it down to 35 lbs by neels gap----seems that way in the springs!!!!!

Well I was close to that when I started off my first thru-hike southbound. I was carrying 2 full size packs with me - one on top of the other. Leaving Monson I slim down a lot after mailing home 25 pound of gear and a lot less food. I left town with about 40 pounds.

Wolf

BradMT
05-08-2011, 19:41

Can't fathom a real backpacker not having thought it all through before the start and beginning with exactly what is needed.

All I can think is there are a lot of first-time backpackers starting at Springer Mtn...

sbhikes
05-08-2011, 20:06
Don't forget if you are out there reading UL gear lists that not all gear lists are for hiking the AT or for hiking in the Pacific Northwest. My gear list for Santa Barbara county trails includes loppers, leather gloves and a saw but it probably won't include rain gear. For decades I didn't even own rain gear and for a very long time the only tent I had was a mosquito net tent (for flies). I'm much better prepared with trail cutting tools than rain gear. Believe me!

Penguin
05-08-2011, 21:23
Not bringing a tent, and relying on a space in a shelter during a storm. If no space, then asking for a tent carrying hiker to sleep in his tent, or asking to borrow said tent, seems like a bad gear philosophy. Going back to the original post.

aaronthebugbuffet
05-08-2011, 22:12
I saw a dead horse. I'll tell you guys where it is if you want to go beat it.

harryfred
05-08-2011, 22:16
I have actually heard ultra lighters tell newbies ready to do a thru hike that any first aid was not needed (you have a bandanna and a bit of duct tape right?) and washing up was a waste.
I agree with a previous post I have seen too many hikes cut short from a small scratch or bite that got infected and got out of control.
My first aid/repair kit is more excessive than I need but not extravagant and I do carry to help others. It is my nature.
For me a two man, double wall, free, standing tent; a camp pillow, dry clothing for the night, and camp shoes, are a must. As are spare socks and socks for night only. I tend to carry too much water and I always have one more meal than I need, which on more than one occasion has proved useful. Don't even go on day hikes without rain gear, it is also my wind gear.
Different parts of the country require different gear. I spent nights on the Mojave Dessert sleeping without a tent on a woven rag rug wrapped in a military wool blanket and was golden but I carried IIRC five gal of water to start there were no springs.
Agree a whistle is a must. It is your worst case bail out. Every one knows three short toots means "I need help" and the reply is two toots, right? I have a whistle/compass/thermometer, that hangs on my shoulder strap where the weight is nothing.

ShelterLeopard
05-09-2011, 01:17

Not having something dry to change into in camp strikes me as stupid. (Though most people who've been stuck in that situation did carry "dry" sleeping clothes and either did a bad job waterproofing or for a bizarre reason decided to wear their in camp dry clothes hiking.)

The biggie I see is not carrying rain gear or a wind shield. On a chilly day when there's been a lotta rain, it just seems really stupid. I know. I was one of those folks... I have never regretted anything so much in my whole hiking experience as being stuck without raingear. Luckily I was in the Shennies and survived that day to get to one of those roadside stops and ended up buying a heavy Shenandoah Nat'l Park rain jacket.

Concise version: raingear good.

ShelterLeopard
05-09-2011, 01:21
Of course, I am DEFINITELY NOT what you would call a UL hiker. During my thru (which turned into a 1,500 mile long section) I carried birkenstocks for in camp shoes for a while, a parachute hammock (in addition to my tent) and a few other "non necessities". But after I was used to the weight on my back, I loved having one or two extra things. And the weight was not much. Also had a frying pan for part of my hike and a mini pillow, which I never got rid of.

And Mr. Squirrel. My constant companion and slackpacker extraordinaire.

WildTomato
05-09-2011, 05:32
How about carrying no gear at all?

I am serious, in my first thru hike in 2008 we ran across a guy about 45ish miles from Springer hiking carrying nothing. We asked him out of sheer curiosity at the next shelter why he was not carrying gear, and he said to address him as 'No Weight Jake' and that he is going to walk from Georgia to Maine using no gear.(!)

We all laughed because we thought he was making a joke, but he was dead serious, and everyone had a awkward moment of silence. He said he was a man of nature and only needed to forage for his food and water, and that 'God provides everything I need'.

He was really friendly but we all went to sleep wondering about his chances, and when we woke up he was gone and I never saw him again, nor have heard nothing about him.

So that is my 'Dangerous Gear Philosophies' true story. No gear!

Penguin
05-09-2011, 05:48
No Weight Jake would definitely need some creativity when it comes to sleeping on a cold night after days of rain.

Old Hiker
05-09-2011, 07:07
And Mr. Squirrel. My constant companion and slackpacker extraordinaire.

It's sorta early, I'm on my first cup of coffee, the kids don't get here for 2 hours. I have to ask: Mr. Squirrel?

I'm gonna regret this, aren't I?

ShelterLeopard
05-09-2011, 11:33
MUAH HA HA. (Just kidding).

Mr. Squirrel is my backpacking companion. He's about four inches tall, squeaks when squeezed, and is in almost every significant photo from my AT hike. (He's stuffed) He and I signed shelter logs together.

Pony
05-09-2011, 17:23
Wow, a year later and it finally makes sense. Reading the registers last year I always wondered why Mr. Squirrel never signed them. Ha ha. I carried an inflatable pirate sword for 1,100+ miles.

Seriously carry as little or as much as you want, you'll eventually figure it out. I never really care when somebody wants to use my map or guidebook, or really anything except food. What irritates me more is people who feel the need to make comments about why I carry a 40 lb external frame pack, or why is my food bag so heavy, or why do you need fleece pajama pants. These are things that I want/like to carry, and if it's not on your back then don't worry about it. I carried a coffee press and a one pound bag of coffee, and it always turned people's heads. But nearly everyone would gladly drink a cup if I offered it to them.

Tinker
05-09-2011, 19:38
i saw a dead horse. I'll tell you guys where it is if you want to go beat it.
Exactly. :)

Wolf - 23000
05-09-2011, 20:07
Don't forget if you are out there reading UL gear lists that not all gear lists are for hiking the AT or for hiking in the Pacific Northwest. My gear list for Santa Barbara county trails includes loppers, leather gloves and a saw but it probably won't include rain gear. For decades I didn't even own rain gear and for a very long time the only tent I had was a mosquito net tent (for flies). I'm much better prepared with trail cutting tools than rain gear. Believe me!

sbhikes,

Well put! As many people know, I've never been a fan of gearlist. The gear I use is going to be different depending on where I'm hiking and when. A gearlist doesn't tell you any of that.

Wolf

SassyWindsor
05-09-2011, 20:19

With the warmer weather that dead horse is now equine jerky :D

sbhikes
05-10-2011, 09:47
A stuffed squirrel squeaky toy and an inflatable sword? See, that's what I'm talking about. The gear choices of AT hikers is pretty strange. If I ever do the AT I'm just bringing a credit card and a day pack with some snacks.

Snowleopard
05-10-2011, 10:16
... I carried an inflatable pirate sword for 1,100+ miles. ...

Now this is an example of the dangers of leaving vital items behind. If you had brought a patch kit for the inflatable pirate sword, it wouldn't have deflated and you would have had pirate protection through the 100 mile wilderness. :)

Beachcomber
05-10-2011, 10:36
Now this is an example of the dangers of leaving vital items behind. If you had brought a patch kit for the inflatable pirate sword, it wouldn't have deflated and you would have had pirate protection through the 100 mile wilderness. :)

"They laughed at my mighty sword."
~ Randy Newman

ShelterLeopard
05-10-2011, 12:04
Wow, a year later and it finally makes sense. Reading the registers last year I always wondered why Mr. Squirrel never signed them. Ha ha. I carried an inflatable pirate sword for 1,100+ miles.

Ha- nice!

Seriously carry as little or as much as you want, you'll eventually figure it out.

Best. Advice. Ever.

A stuffed squirrel squeaky toy and an inflatable sword? See, that's what I'm talking about. The gear choices of AT hikers is pretty strange. If I ever do the AT I'm just bringing a credit card and a day pack with some snacks.

Of course, it's all about what's important to you. (I've seen people carry really weird stuff- weirder than what I carry). I definitely see the allure of having about 15lbs on your back though...

Chance09
05-10-2011, 13:51

I like this debate because there really is no right answer to it. On the AT 13 pounds of gear for me would involve plenty of luxuries. My comfortable base weight is around 8 or 9 depending on my camera choice. Could go lighter and survive just fine but maybe not be comfortable.

Depending on the person they may chose to go without purifying their water as taboo as that may be. I seldom do and I've hiked with people who never do. I know a guy move a dead deer out of a puddle and drink the water because he'd been out for 10 miles. Never got sick. I grew up swimming in the nasty Potomac and Rapphannock Rivers growing up and have swallowed tons of the nasty water. I like to think I have built up some what of an immunity.

As to not carrying iodine or some sort of antiseptic? how about if you know your plants foraging for something to use? All depends on the mindset and the capabilities of the hiker.

Dogwood
05-11-2011, 01:38

Ever see a REAL dead horse on a trail? I've seen three. One was in the water supply that I hiked 1 1/2 miles to drink from. I passed on that water and I needed water! Something about maggots in my water that I just don't appreciate. The shmeeeeeell! Uggh!

The one vital piece of equipment that every hiker needs? A majorette's twirling baton. One of those long ones with the sparkly tassles on the ends that you use to beat away all the rattlesnakes and copperheads in PA. No shart! I saw a thru-hiker, of course on the AT, who carried a baton like that on most of her hike. When I asked why she was carrying it she told me she wanted the extra upper body work-out while hiking. I thought she was screwing with me, but NO! The next day, as I saw her hiking down the trail, she was twirling that baton, often oblivious that other's were hiking around her! I passed her making sure she didn't hit me with the thing. That would have been a hard story to pass off. Yeah, my hike was going fine until I had to get off the trail due to a concussion because I was whacked with a baton! She eventually did give up the baton because she wasn't paying attention to the trail while twirling the thing and fell! Yeah, I guess so. Not such a great idea.

Penguin
05-11-2011, 04:20
I saw two dead cows on the Arizona Trail, the trail went right between them. Rotten and stinky, not a smell that's easily forgotten. The next day it went by a freshly shot Huskie or Malamute. Freakiest thing ever.

Beachcomber
05-11-2011, 08:16
The one vital piece of equipment that every hiker needs? A majorette's twirling baton. One of those long ones with the sparkly tassles on the ends that you use to beat away all the rattlesnakes and copperheads in PA. No shart! I saw a thru-hiker, of course on the AT, who carried a baton like that on most of her hike. When I asked why she was carrying it she told me she wanted the extra upper body work-out while hiking. I thought she was screwing with me, but NO! The next day, as I saw her hiking down the trail, she was twirling that baton, often oblivious that other's were hiking around her! I passed her making sure she didn't hit me with the thing. That would have been a hard story to pass off. Yeah, my hike was going fine until I had to get off the trail due to a concussion because I was whacked with a baton! She eventually did give up the baton because she wasn't paying attention to the trail while twirling the thing and fell! Yeah, I guess so. Not such a great idea.
This makes a powerful case for carrying a camera or at least a cell phone, just to document a crazy situation like this. In my editor days, the standard question for a reporter pitching a bizarre story was, "Get art?"

sbhikes
05-11-2011, 10:16
I passed a dead whale once on a bike ride of the Pacific COAST Trail. It was the most god awful smell ever. You could smell it a half mile away and it clung to your nostrils and skin. An oily sweetish nasty rotten stomach turning stench of death smell. Beware any hikes on the beach.

sixguns01
05-11-2011, 10:56

And that's the rub.

Just my .02 worth...

Excellent Point!!!

Pony
05-11-2011, 13:34

I found it in the Cumberland Valley and picked it up meaning to throw it away in town. I somehow lost it the very same day. The next afternoon I was walking by the Doyle hotel, with no intention of stopping, when Vicky walked out of the front door of the Doyle and stabbed me with it. Well I just had to stop in and have a beer which led to several and a stay at the Doyle. I figured since it came back to me I had to carry it. Never really expected that it would make it the entire way. And it stayed inflated the whole way.

When people asked me about it, I told them it was for protection against bears. Most people realized I was joking, but some just said "oh".

10-K
05-11-2011, 13:47
I saw two dead cows on the Arizona Trail, the trail went right between them. Rotten and stinky, not a smell that's easily forgotten. The next day it went by a freshly shot Huskie or Malamute. Freakiest thing ever.

Ah man... I saw a dead cow once and when I got up close 3 possums ran out of it's butt.

Buffalo Skipper
05-11-2011, 15:35
Ah man... I saw a dead cow once and when I got up close 3 possums ran out of it's butt.

That is just so wrong!! :eek:

Bare Bear
05-11-2011, 15:52
Whatever happenned to free choice? I am sure I carry stuff the ULW crowd feels is unnecessary. I carry it so it suits me. I have hiked with folks that carried way more than I thought was necessary but they carried it, not me so who am I to say it is too heavy?

Penguin
05-11-2011, 17:22
Well Bare Bear, people choosing their hiking styles is their own choice. When it comes to partners, and hiking with groups, that's where style matters. A person with a heavy pack weight couldn't really expect to hike well with an ultra lighter. The UL'r would be able to make many more miles every day, and need less breaks on the trail and in town then the old schooler. After a little while the incompatible packweights would cause both parties to want to break up their hiking relationship. Same thing with a UL'r who tried hiking with a group of heavy weights. The heavy weights would be fine with their low miles, and the UL'r would want to keep going.

I tried hiking with someone with a huge pack and it sucked for both of us.

garlic08
05-11-2011, 17:56
Ponder this: The less you carry, the farther you'll go.

As noted wisely above, if you're on a hiking trip, pack for a hiking trip. If you're on a camping trip, pack for a camping trip. But the contention comes from the fact that there are (obviously) many possible hybrids in between. You need to choose your style. No one can or should do that for you. And it is hard not to judge those who are doing it differently from ourselves, especially when it looks like they're having more fun!

Good luck making your goal. By the way, why carry 4 oz of iodine? Get a small tube of Neosporin, a fraction of an ounce. Baking soda is pretty good for brushing teeth, too, at another fraction of an ounce.

tolkien
05-11-2011, 19:17
Please explain to me how my thread moved in this direction. I'd like to know.

aaronthebugbuffet
05-11-2011, 19:36
hahahahaha
Thread jack complete. Mission accomplished.
This is much more interesting and entertaining than the original subject.
Sorry o.p.
I saw a moose skeleton once and from a glance it looked almost completely decomposed but the smell told a different story.

Skidsteer
05-11-2011, 19:41
Kinda hard to top three possums running out a cow's butt.