PDA

View Full Version : Soda can stove troubleshooting

EJC
05-07-2011, 23:35
So I tried 4 times to make a soda can stove by following the directions here:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-make-soda-can-stove-189957/

None of them would "jet up" around the holes on the outside, it would only light in the center. This is my first time making one of these stoves and I have no clue where I'm going wrong. Any ideas?

I tried to make a fancy feast stove too, but none of my one-hole punches would get through the can, not even a special craft one that I stood on. I'm about ready just to buy a MSR pocket rocket or something!

oops56
05-08-2011, 00:11
if the stove is made right let it heat up a bit then lower the pot on it slowly it should come out the side jets .

CTGuy
05-08-2011, 00:26
If you can't get it like me you can always get one of these http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/ just ordered one.

Toolshed
05-08-2011, 07:19
As was mentioned let it heat up a little - maybe a minute or two. It might be a case of your inner wall bottom openings not being large enough, or perhaps the inner wall collapsed a bit when assembling. If you still can't make it work, send it to me I will take a look at it for you and see where the issue is. If you want, PM me with your name and address and I will send you either a Pepsi can stove or a beer bottle stove (your choice).
Just pay it forward.
PS, I use a 1/32 drill bit (battery operated drill) to make my holes. Others fill the can with water and freeze it, so that they have something solid to work with when drilling.
Toolshed.

Toli
05-08-2011, 07:47
As was mentioned let it heat up a little - maybe a minute or two. It might be a case of your inner wall bottom openings not being large enough, or perhaps the inner wall collapsed a bit when assembling. If you still can't make it work, send it to me I will take a look at it for you and see where the issue is. If you want, PM me with your name and address and I will send you either a Pepsi can stove or a beer bottle stove (your choice).
Just pay it forward.
PS, I use a 1/32 drill bit (battery operated drill) to make my holes. Others fill the can with water and freeze it, so that they have something solid to work with when drilling.
Toolshed.

Now thats class act :sun

EJC
05-08-2011, 15:10
Just pay it forward.
Toolshed.

Thanks for the awesome offer! I think I did smash the interior wall the first two times and I'm still tinkering with the third and fourth unsuccessful models. Those may be the interior holes aren't large enough. I'm not sure if the fuel escape the stove if I crimped the lower ring too much? I'm going to attempt to tape the outside of the stove. I let the stove heat up for 10 minutes on all my sorry attempts without any success, yet.

It never occured to me to drill into the fancy feast can... wow. I'm going to give that a whirl after freezing it. Thanks for the suggestions! i'll keep you updated on how the stove-making process proceeds (if it does) :)