PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Gear

njgramm
05-08-2011, 00:24
I planned a NOBO thru hike this year to leave March 1st. Things didnt work out, so did a switch and figured SOBO leaving end of May beginning of June. I know this is very individual, but just wanting thoughts on whether the gear I got will be fine. I cant mail things back and forth for weather so in general its kinda universal. Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

njgramm
05-08-2011, 00:51
I know heading north there is the benefit of Neels Gap where they will go through your pack and help you figure the best way to pack it. Is there any place like that in the first 100 miles or so going south?

Singletrack
05-08-2011, 06:32
No, there is no place for several hundred miles, or even more, where you can have someone to go over your gear. I would suggest carrying a 3 season kit. This would give you a balance between hot and cold rainy, windy weather. Be sure to pack Deet, and a Mosquito net.
You need to call Baxter State Park, find out when they open, and make reservations before climbing Mt. Katahdin. Most SOBO's do not leave until June thru July.

Blissful
05-08-2011, 08:59
Need to have your gear set before you leave SOBO. There are outfitters in Greenville ME though but will need to hitch from Gulf hagas area.

If you want post your gearlist here

njgramm
05-08-2011, 15:31
Yeah it sounds like the gear is pretty similar for nobo and sobo. I kinda thought that but since I never thru hiked b4 just wanted opinions. Thanks. Also thanks to mudhead sent message and also reminded me about bright orange for hunting season.

njgramm
05-08-2011, 15:41
Alright my main gear is as follows.

20 degree down bag
base and mid layers
pants that convert to shorts
thin wool socks
KEEN high tops
balaclava
gloves
4 season Clark hammock
Zip stove
Mosquito head net
Cheap plastic orange vest
The Packa Pack cover/rain coat

I guess thats the main things. Then hat, bug repellent, shamee for towel, toiletries, and small items like that.

Blissful
05-08-2011, 16:21
Won't need orange vest until after Sept.
More than one pair of socks. I had 3
Base layer should be fine, no need for mid weight unless oyu are a cold hammock hanger. By the time you hit high elevations in ME and NH it will be well into summer with summer temps. Won't need gloves either. Might consider a polartec fleece or light outer jacket if temps drop
Possible pad for hammock. ?

njgramm
05-08-2011, 16:32
Yeah I was considering pad for hammock. wasnt sure yet. thinking of the blue wallie world cheapie.

njgramm
05-08-2011, 16:34
also what you are saying about gloves and mid layer. wont it get cold by nov. dec. further south? if so remember i have to carry all my stuff the whole way. no mail help.

BradMT
05-08-2011, 19:47
I planned a NOBO thru hike this year to leave March 1st. Things didnt work out, so did a switch and figured SOBO leaving end of May beginning of June. I know this is very individual, but just wanting thoughts on whether the gear I got will be fine. I cant mail things back and forth for weather so in general its kinda universal. Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

I wouldn't tempt the Maine Woods until mid-June at the very earliest.

If you've never experienced the bugs of the Maine interior you'll understand my reasoning... it'll be bad enough in June/July. No point starting earlier.

TAS
05-12-2011, 15:21
BLACK FLIES

Most leave late June early July.

John

Geo
05-12-2011, 16:09
Depends on the weather, last year late may was possible. It depends when Baxter State Park opens Katahdin. You can get a hitch from Monson to Grenville ME from Shaw's. The Outfitter in Grenville is decent for a small town. Consider calling Baxter State Park and checking the conditions. June has black flies, mosquitoes, deer and moose fly. Last year was great, few flies, 2007 was rough.

tuswm
05-13-2011, 22:28
what about a flip flop.