PDA

View Full Version : Hiking In The Heat

gonesolong
05-08-2011, 06:34
If you had only three weeks from Aug 8th to Aug 28th what would be the best section to choose?(estim 15 miles per day) Will it be too hot to enjoy? gonesolong

Cookerhiker
05-08-2011, 07:11
I'd pick a stretch in NH & ME between the White Mts. and the Bigalows in ME but I personally couldn't average 15 mpd in that terrrain. It's pretty rugged. You have to ask yourself what's more important: covering a lot of miles in the time you have or seeing a spectacular portion of the AT at the best time of year for it.

Blissful
05-08-2011, 08:55
I'd do Vermont first then into NH

Amanita
05-08-2011, 09:42
If you had only three weeks from Aug 8th to Aug 28th what would be the best section to choose?(estim 15 miles per day) Will it be too hot to enjoy? gonesolong

I'd do the Long Trail. But I'm not exactly an impartial judge. ;)

sbhikes
05-08-2011, 10:17
John Muir Trail.

map man
05-08-2011, 10:52
Related to what sbhikes said, if you have any interest in doing some hiking at high elevation out west, August is prime time to do that. I'm hiking in the Wind River Range in Wyoming this August.

Ox97GaMe
05-08-2011, 12:15
A couple of things to consider....

During that time of year, it wont get dark until around 9:00. You can plan to hike early in the day, and late in the day to avoid the extreme heat. Pick a section of trail where there are places to take nice mid-day ciestas. (swimming hole, town stop, nice shelter, vista with a view and shade)

If you arent already in shape, then 15 miles a day will be a long day, anywhere on the AT. You might want to avoid hikes like NH and Maine. Vermont, Mass, CT, and NY would be nice choices. PA has a lot of state parks with swimmg pools and picnic pavillions to relax at.

Not sure how far you plan to drive (from Lousiana?). There are some great places in TN/NC/SoVA that wont be too bad either.

If you are arent absolutely hooked on hiking along the AT, then consider, the Benton McKaye Trail, any hiking in the Smokies, The Sheltowee Trace.

hikerboy57
05-08-2011, 13:49
the whites are spectacular in august, but 15 miles a day is very ambitious.Usually much cooler above treeline, but I did the franconia-crawford section 3rd wk of august 2009 and it was in the 80s even above treeline.As others have mentioned NH/ME is outstanding, but you may need to slow down a bit, very challenging terrain, especially western ME.and late august the sun is gone long before 9pm, especially in valleys.

Cookerhiker
05-08-2011, 14:21
Assuming the OP is willing to travel anywhere...

Many beautiful trails like the AT in the Whites & Maine and the high-elevation western trails have very narrow windows for hiking but the OP's time - August - fits into that window. For that reason, it would be a waste IMO to hike trails like the AT in the south or the BMT in August when these trails aren't at their best. So save them for Spring, early summer, fall....and go hike Northern New England or the JMT or parts of the CDT or Wonderland Trail, adjusting your mileage expectations accordingly.

gonesolong
05-09-2011, 00:14

Many beautiful trails like the AT in the Whites & Maine and the high-elevation western trails have very narrow windows for hiking but the OP's time - August - fits into that window. For that reason, it would be a waste IMO to hike trails like the AT in the south or the BMT in August when these trails aren't at their best. So save them for Spring, early summer, fall....and go hike Northern New England or the JMT or parts of the CDT or Wonderland Trail, adjusting your mileage expectations accordingly.
Cooker, sounds logical but there are too many JMT'S, BMT'S, CDT'S, OP'S, can you help a beginner with hints about what/where these are?

ShelterLeopard
05-09-2011, 01:31
John Muir Trail (part of the Pacific Crest Trail out west), Benton MacKaye Trail, Continental Divide Trail.

(OP- Opening Post/ Opening Poster, etc...)

ShelterLeopard
05-09-2011, 01:33
PS- BMT is Georgia to Tennessee. And begins with the AT.

gonesolong
05-09-2011, 13:50
A couple of things to consider....

During that time of year, it wont get dark until around 9:00. You can plan to hike early in the day, and late in the day to avoid the extreme heat. Pick a section of trail where there are places to take nice mid-day ciestas. (swimming hole, town stop, nice shelter, vista with a view and shade)

If you arent already in shape, then 15 miles a day will be a long day, anywhere on the AT. You might want to avoid hikes like NH and Maine. Vermont, Mass, CT, and NY would be nice choices. PA has a lot of state parks with swimmg pools and picnic pavillions to relax at.

Not sure how far you plan to drive (from Lousiana?). There are some great places in TN/NC/SoVA that wont be too bad either.

If you are arent absolutely hooked on hiking along the AT, then consider, the Benton McKaye Trail, any hiking in the Smokies, The Sheltowee Trace.
Thanks for the good advice. Will you expand on why your recos not to do NH? The distance from Louisiana is not a concern as I will be near mid-trail anyway.

gonesolong
05-09-2011, 13:54
the whites are spectacular in august, but 15 miles a day is very ambitious.Usually much cooler above treeline, but I did the franconia-crawford section 3rd wk of august 2009 and it was in the 80s even above treeline.As others have mentioned NH/ME is outstanding, but you may need to slow down a bit, very challenging terrain, especially western ME.and late august the sun is gone long before 9pm, especially in valleys.
I will take that advice about shortening the days. As far a the views, is NH a bit sparse compared to southern locations or is that a wrong impression? I do want to avoid the heat but also don't want to give up the chance to see some of the better views.

Cookerhiker
05-09-2011, 14:00
The White Mts. of NH along with the first 75 miles in Maine are beautiful and rewarding but very strenuous compared to most of the rest of the AT. There are several 2,000' and 3,000' ascents and descents, often very steep. And the footing is rough and rocky in many places. So a 15 mile up there takes a much larger toll on your body than 15 miles in the mid-Atlantic, and a 3,000' ascent/descent in NH/ME is much tougher than one in NC or TN.

This is why I recommended hiking there but adjusting your mileage expectations. I don't mean to disrespect your level of conditioning but aerobic fitness alone - while vital - doesn't guarantee against the stress from Northern New England hiking on your hips, quads, knees, etc.

Cookerhiker
05-09-2011, 14:07
I will take that advice about shortening the days. As far a the views, is NH a bit sparse compared to southern locations or is that a wrong impression? I do want to avoid the heat but also don't want to give up the chance to see some of the better views.

Didn't see your last post before my previous response. To get an idea of views, click on this link to the WB photo gallery (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?c=504&userid=), scroll down to "Views in New Hampshire," and take a look for yourself. Do the same for Maine. Also you can go to this photo (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=116121) from my '05 trail journal in Maine and scroll along. The views will captivate you!

Lemni Skate
05-09-2011, 14:29
I agree that Whites would be #1 choice. Grayson Highlands is nice area that usually doesn't get too hot, but eventually you'd have to come on down into the Virginia humidity. Virginia hiking in August is toasty.

Gaiter
05-09-2011, 15:22
a second on taking advantage of the long days, start early, around 1-2 in the afternoon stop and find a shady spot to take a nap, wake up when it starts to cool down, hike till its dark...

OldFeet
05-09-2011, 16:23
The Whites offer some really tremendous views above the tree line though as many have mentioned, the hiking is pretty strenous. The weather can also be pretty fickle there so be prepared for just about anything weather wise if that the route you choose. Vermont is also great in August in my humble opinion. If you started at the MA/VT line that gives you about 140 the the NH border witht he terrain increasing in difficulty as you head north.

Pony
05-09-2011, 16:54
If it were me, I'd start at Katahdin and hike south. The whites are awesome, but the crowds turn me off. In my opinion, a lot of Maine is as hard as the Whites.

Penguin
05-09-2011, 19:51
Perfect time of year for the John Muir Trail. You should seriously look into it. I won't step foot on the AT till Friday, but the Sierra Nevada of California are the awesomest hiking mountains ever and the weather is perfect that time of year. Look into it. Everyone loves the JMT, best trail ever, 80 yrs and counting.

Sierra Echo
05-09-2011, 19:57
Now that its getting warmer start acclimating yourself to the heat. I'm a postal carrier and I spend around 4 hours in the summer heat a day cooped up inside that rolling bread box (where it is always at least 10 degrees hotter). Heat never bothers me. I can hike 15 miles in 100 degree heat with 100 percent humid. No problem. You just got to use to it.

Penguin
05-09-2011, 20:00
I think this should be relabeled then, Hiking in the humidity. Heat aint a thing, it's the stupid humidity I'm worried about. I like the extremely low humidity here in Az. back east just sounds scary.

Sierra Echo
05-09-2011, 20:01
If you don't like humidity then Ga probably isn't the place for you! :eek:

Penguin
05-09-2011, 20:04
I moved from AZ to Kauai and wanted to die. Everyone is telling me I have to do the AT once, that's why I'm heading that way. I really like hiking in the extreme dry. The first 700 miles of the PCT are my favorite for that reason. Got to give the AT a shot though. I bought plenty of baby powder, and I'm in it to win it now. Though 400 of my closest friends are strolling on or living near the PCT today.

SassyWindsor
05-09-2011, 20:35
Hiking in extreme heat forces me to rearrange my schedule to very early morning and late evening/some night travel. The time between noon and late evening/night is spent on the dark side of the mountain attempting to keep cool.

gonesolong
05-10-2011, 08:04
The Whites offer some really tremendous views above the tree line though as many have mentioned, the hiking is pretty strenous. The weather can also be pretty fickle there so be prepared for just about anything weather wise if that the route you choose. Vermont is also great in August in my humble opinion. If you started at the MA/VT line that gives you about 140 the the NH border witht he terrain increasing in difficulty as you head north.
Thank you, I like the looks of this route. gonesolong

gonesolong
05-10-2011, 08:11
Agreed, it seems like to escape the heat I need to head North but if you go too far then the view turns a bit sparse, no longer a green tunnel, is that right? Vermont is sounding good.

gonesolong
05-10-2011, 08:12
Agreed, but I'm looking for suggestions about how far north to get the cool weather and still get the great beauty of the AT.

Cookerhiker
05-10-2011, 09:24
Agreed, it seems like to escape the heat I need to head North but if you go too far then the view turns a bit sparse, no longer a green tunnel, is that right? Vermont is sounding good.

The "sparse" nature of the above-treeline high country of the Whites is the primary appeal. If you're stuck in a "green tunnel," you don't get views when the foliage is out. In NH and ME, you have both; walking in forest at low elevations, emerging above treeline at the higher elevations. And the views from the latter are spectacular.

Tinker
05-10-2011, 11:08
Of all of the AT I've hiked, I'd rehike any of Maine, especially from Rte. 4 over Saddleback up to Monson. Anywhere in that area there is the scent of evergreens and many opportunities for swimming, with a good number of views. The hiking is pretty rugged, so I, personally, would plan on no more than 15 mpd.

ScottP
05-10-2011, 11:52
John Muir Trail.

This

but you're in Louisana. Could probably do NOC thru the northern end of the smokies.

gonesolong
05-10-2011, 13:40
The "sparse" nature of the above-treeline high country of the Whites is the primary appeal. If you're stuck in a "green tunnel," you don't get views when the foliage is out. In NH and ME, you have both; walking in forest at low elevations, emerging above treeline at the higher elevations. And the views from the latter are spectacular.
I get it now, thank you very much for the advice! Gonesolong

gonesolong
05-10-2011, 13:40
This

but you're in Louisana. Could probably do NOC thru the northern end of the smokies.
Not sure what you are saying here?

Cookerhiker
05-10-2011, 17:18

....but you're in Louisana. Could probably do NOC thru the northern end of the smokies.

Not sure what you are saying here?

NOC = Nantahala Outdoor Center in North Carolina. He's suggesting you hike from there to Davenport Gap, the northern end of the Smokies, a distance of 101 miles. He was thinking of AT stretches relatively close to Lousiana.

Since you said the distance from LA isn't an issue, I reiterate what I said above: save the southern AT for Spring, early summer, or Fall.

Shutterbug
05-10-2011, 22:26

Since you will be flying to your hiking location anyway, consider the Wonderland Trail which circles Mt. Rainer. August and September are great times to hike it.

gonesolong
05-11-2011, 00:37
The White Mts. of NH along with the first 75 miles in Maine are beautiful and rewarding but very strenuous compared to most of the rest of the AT. There are several 2,000' and 3,000' ascents and descents, often very steep. And the footing is rough and rocky in many places. So a 15 mile up there takes a much larger toll on your body than 15 miles in the mid-Atlantic, and a 3,000' ascent/descent in NH/ME is much tougher than one in NC or TN.

This is why I recommended hiking there but adjusting your mileage expectations. I don't mean to disrespect your level of conditioning but aerobic fitness alone - while vital - doesn't guarantee against the stress from Northern New England hiking on your hips, quads, knees, etc.
This is gonna work out perf for me, now I've got to work on the logistics, nearest flyins at start and finish, thanks for your help, gonesolong

Bare Bear
05-11-2011, 16:40
Monson NOBO would be cooler and not too hard to 'trail up' on.

peakbagger
05-12-2011, 07:44
If you end your hike in Gorham NH or at the AMC lodge at Pinkham Notch, there is daily bus service to Logan airport or Manchaester airport. This cuts you just short of the most spectacular section of the whites but, you can easily do the section from Pinkham to Lakes of the CLouds ht and then cut back over to Teckermans Ravein and back to Pinkham via a blue blaze. Alternatively you can end at Crawford Notch and do a short hitch down to Bartlett and catch the bus there.

It is highly likely that you will need a shuttle to get to the trail in Maine as there is no bus service that crosses the AT. A real nice spot to start would be Caratunk at the Kennebec river as the next two days are relatively (for Maine flat) with several ponds to go swimming, before you hit the Bigelows which are a very steep uphill. You can resupply in Stratton, then Rangely, then Andover, then Gorham. Plan on 12 to 14 miles per day. If you are running late you can end in Gorham via the Mahoosuc trail or keep going to Pinkham. I havent checked the mileages and dont know your hiking ability so please check profiles and mileage. Shaws in Monson would be a start for looking for a shuttle.

Smooth & Wasabi
05-12-2011, 09:33
Another vote for Maine if you are thinking AT. August is a great time to be there.

gonesolong
05-12-2011, 14:09
If you end your hike in Gorham NH or at the AMC lodge at Pinkham Notch, there is daily bus service to Logan airport or Manchaester airport. This cuts you just short of the most spectacular section of the whites but, you can easily do the section from Pinkham to Lakes of the CLouds ht and then cut back over to Teckermans Ravein and back to Pinkham via a blue blaze. Alternatively you can end at Crawford Notch and do a short hitch down to Bartlett and catch the bus there.

It is highly likely that you will need a shuttle to get to the trail in Maine as there is no bus service that crosses the AT. A real nice spot to start would be Caratunk at the Kennebec river as the next two days are relatively (for Maine flat) with several ponds to go swimming, before you hit the Bigelows which are a very steep uphill. You can resupply in Stratton, then Rangely, then Andover, then Gorham. Plan on 12 to 14 miles per day. If you are running late you can end in Gorham via the Mahoosuc trail or keep going to Pinkham. I havent checked the mileages and dont know your hiking ability so please check profiles and mileage. Shaws in Monson would be a start for looking for a shuttle.
Great info, I'm looking at it now, thanks so very much!

gonesolong
05-12-2011, 15:01
Great info, I'm looking at it now, thanks so very much!
pb, I'm not sure if you are recommending sobo or nobo or doubling back and therefore a combo of both. If you can, give me your best simple recommendation considering say a 75 to 125 mile hike, no options, just your personal recos. I am fit but a bit of a newby to hiking being from flat land USA but not worried about that aspect at all! Thank you, gonesolong

gonesolong
06-18-2011, 06:37
As I get a little closer to my 10 day section hike from Crawford Knotch to....well to as far as I can go in ten days, I'm getting into the details. May I ask you a question about water on this section? Looking at it from google earth (I'm working in Saudi now) there does not appear to be any supply towns near the area so for food and water I'm planning on carrying a good supply. is that right? But the real concern is about water sources on this section. can you advise?

Thanks Roger

Many beautiful trails like the AT in the Whites & Maine and the high-elevation western trails have very narrow windows for hiking but the OP's time - August - fits into that window. For that reason, it would be a waste IMO to hike trails like the AT in the south or the BMT in August when these trails aren't at their best. So save them for Spring, early summer, fall....and go hike Northern New England or the JMT or parts of the CDT or Wonderland Trail, adjusting your mileage expectations accordingly.[/QUOTE]

Snowleopard
06-18-2011, 10:37
If you're going to travel that far and you're young or in reasonable condition, I'd recommend NH or Maine over Vermont. Vermont is nice, the White Mts are spectacular. The only disadvantage to doing the Whites in August is that there will be lots of people, especially on weekends. Maine would probably have fewer people. If you aren't set on doing the AT, you could consider doing the Long Trail (goes the length of VT, fewer people, gets more isolated and rugged as you go south to north, first part shares trail with the AT), or the Cohos Trail in NH (White Mts to Canada,probably only if you are experienced).

Snowleopard
06-18-2011, 10:43
Somehow, I missed the last couple of posts.
Water: it's been a pretty wet summer in New England so far. It would be unusual to have to carry more than 1 or 2 liters of water at a time even it dries out by then. Sometimes I like to camp away from water, so I'll carry more water from the last available water for a mile or two to a dry camp. Most shelters are near water.

Slo-go'en
06-18-2011, 11:48
I hope you have made reservations to stay at the AMC huts between Crawford Notch and Gorham. Doing so would make that first section of trail a lot easier, as you would not need to carry nearly as much food nor try to find a legal place to camp (of which there are few options in that streach).

Also, most of that section of trail is above tree line, so water sources are also scarce. Therefore, start the day with adaquate water supply. North of Gorham and into Maine, water sources will become frequent.

gonesolong
06-19-2011, 01:50
No I have not made any reservations, thanks for the tip I do appreciate it and any others you may have for me!!

Tinker
06-19-2011, 22:58
Here's a tip: http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/aboutourshelters.html
Cheaper than AMC huts (bring your own food), and close to the ridgeline in the White Mountains. If you time your hiking correctly you can use one of these facilities rather than either Lakes of the Clouds or Madison Hut.

gonesolong
06-20-2011, 00:40
Thanks for the tip, gonesolong