PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone question

10-K
05-08-2011, 08:56
I'm starting to get interested in a new phone and am considering an iphone.

I currently have a Boulder G'Zone ruggedized phone with an extended battery that lasts for quite a long time (10x longer than the regular battery easily). This phone is also water/dust/shock proof within certain limits.

The thing I do not like about Apple products is that you can't buy extra batteries.

So... I'm thinking about getting the iphone for around the house and overnight/weekend hiking trips and switching service back to my Boulder whenever I'm going out for a week or so which isn't so often that it'd make swapping phones a hassle.

You can do that, right (switch phones back and forth on the same line)... ?

I have yet to enter the smartphone world. I can barely text actually. :)

BTW, what is real world battery life like on the iphone?

mweinstone
05-08-2011, 09:55
i would concider these pros and cons ive noticed. i dont own a i phone.

iphone is heavy
has a large screen witch is more fragil than small ones
cannot hold charges as long as others because its never really off
does not have extra batt

has apps that can save a life
can be charged by more power cords from other devices than any phone alive
is a tool far beyond a phone more akin to a computer and a photoshop
it has high resale value compared to other phones

mweinstone
05-08-2011, 10:03
dave is a friend of mine who has allways owned cutting edge stuff but more, he knows more about it. he does things with his iphone that are incredible. this week he showed me an app that makes a seamless panoramic interactive photo of anyroom or place by simply snapping shots of the room.he can tell you how the programs work and what millitary offshoot it came from. think about this when you concider how things trickkle down from industry to us.,....the common 2$ dust mask you buy for protecting your lungs from dust, was an offshoot of the playtex bra . its just a cup from a bra with a strap and a dent for your nose. truhistory.
the iphone contains threds of tecnologies from the fabric of the cutting edge of human acheivments . owning one is a privlage i imagine. i concider this device a tool for art, music and film , not to be under estimated.

Spokes
05-08-2011, 10:24
10-K, I recently got an iPhone after carrying a flip phone for years. WOW! What a great transition. It is a heavy phone as mentioned. Battery life depends on how much you use it obviously but more about how much time you spend on the "data" side like internet. Mine can go a couple days with normal use or a half day if I'm surfing the net. Battery life also gets gobbled up if you have apps constantly running in the background.

I tell you I'm very happy with the iPhone and cant wait to do another long hike with it. Just having the power of that type technology at your fingertips equals out all the negatives most people associate with smartphones and hiking

Come to think of it, I'd be just as happy with an Android device too.

Cheers!

person14
05-08-2011, 10:33
I assume you are with verizon. Iphone 4 is old technology, it runs on verizon's 3g network. If you must have an iphone wait until iphone 5 comes out in late summer. It will run up to 10 times faster on the new 4g network. My two cents: if you want a new verizon phone soon I would get the android samsung charge(runs on 4g network) along with some cheap batteries from ebay so you can hike with it for multiple days. Better features than iphone 4, faster, and the ability to uses as many batteries as you feel like buying or carrying. Just quit my job with verizon for a south bound thru attempt so I am up on smartphones.

mweinstone
05-08-2011, 11:07
10-k, i recently got an iphone after carrying a flip phone for years. Wow! What a great transition. It is a heavy phone as mentioned. Battery life depends on how much you use it obviously but more about how much time you spend on the "data" side like internet. Mine can go a couple days with normal use or a half day if i'm surfing the net. Battery life also gets gobbled up if you have apps constantly running in the background.

I tell you i'm very happy with the iphone and cant wait to do another long hike with it. Just having the power of that type technology at your fingertips equals out all the negatives most people associate with smartphones and hiking

come to think of it, i'd be just as happy with an android device too.

Cheers!+1.................................

LDog
05-08-2011, 12:06
I'm thinking of upgrading to iPhone 4 this fall in anticipation of my AT thru next year. 4G is currently only in large metro areas, [map (http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#/coverage)] so I don't care about waiting for the next phone - Yet. I understand it weighs ~4.8 ozs. That big glass screen is tough as nails. There are a gazzillion aftermarket companies making everything imaginable for iPhone - including any number of screen protectors, body armor, and waterproof enclosures. The camera on the iPhone 4 is miles ahead of the crappy camera on the 3.

As for battery life, yes, you can turn it completely off when you don't need it. You can also put it into "Airplane" mode so that it isn't expending energy looking for cell towers, and still use it as a GPS, for journaling, take pics, photo manipulation, showing pics of your gear:D ... Fire it up to upload journals and photos, check email, or call to your Mom on mothers day.

Great apps available for GPS navigation with topo maps, and for photo manipulation. Adapters available to load pics from cameras to iPhone for manipulation and uploading to your favorite forum.

To provide additional charges between town visits, I like the Brunton Inspire Portable Power Device [link to REI (http://www.rei.com/product/800240/)]. It's essentially a battery you recharge in town, then plug into your iPhone (or whatever) to recharge it. It weighs 5.5 ozs and will charge your iPhone ~3 times. Currently out of stock at REI but available at Amazon and others for $59. I've looked at solar (AT too shady) and at nPower (too heavy), and don't think the performance is worth the weight. I'm not sure 5.5 ozs is worth the capability. Depends on how much I'm gonna want to mess with pics, journals, WB, etc. (Cue the technology naysayers ...)

Havn't really spent any time looking at Android phones ...

Hope this helps

Snowleopard
05-08-2011, 14:20
The thing I do not like about Apple products is that you can't buy extra batteries.

Not being able to buy spare batteries is annoying. I think that's not a problem with Android phones, but check before buying a specific phone.
Switching phones is easy on ATT, just switch the SIM card; I know nothing about Verizon.

Point Man Chef
05-08-2011, 21:28
I go with a droid and use an extra extended battery, the one that doesn't require a new back (after market). I also only turn it when I want to use it. Got Verizon service which is good. As mentioned, apps running in the background will eat up battery life. So, I downloaded an app that I use to kill apps when it is on. I just use what I want. Being able to just view weather radar with it is a great feature. Especially when you are in or getting ready to be in some inclement weather.

Spokes
05-09-2011, 08:26
.......... If you must have an iphone wait until iphone 5 comes out in late summer. .........

I learned long ago if you wait on the newest technology to come out you'll end up never buying anything.

Now let me go and eat my Space Ice Cream.

LDog
05-09-2011, 08:59
Originally Posted by person14
.......... If you must have an iphone wait until iphone 5 comes out in late summer. .........

I learned long ago if you wait on the newest technology to come out you'll end up never buying anything.

I've always been the cheap bastard that would wait for the newest technology to come out, and buy the previous version at a discount. I'm looking forward to a cheap, perhaps recon, iPhone 4

Now let me go and eat my Space Ice Cream.

Want some Tang to go with that?

Tennessee Viking
05-09-2011, 09:21
10-k

I loved my Boulder. It was pretty rugid except for the battery catch that broke on me twice. And for some reason a piece of insulation crept on top of the screen on me twice. But it was very good phone other than that. The big battery lasted me over a week as long it had a signal.

I switched up to the Gzone Brigade. No extended life battery. But the keyboard is a lot more friendlier for texting.

For the iPhone, you will definitely need a task killer app that will stop all unwanted apps from running in the background.

Spokes
05-09-2011, 09:26
Want some Tang to go with that?

hehehehehehe........ Coffee just shot out my nose!

10-K
05-10-2011, 11:03
Ok, so I'm going to rule the iphone out because of the battery issue. I'm sure it's an awesome phone but due to work/home requirements I need to have a reasonable expectation of making and receiving calls at any given time and I don't want to carry a Brunton type device to keep it going.

So... if I want a smartphone that leaves an Android.

What's a good choice - something that I can carry a spare battery for, and even better one that has a long battery life.

The Samsung Charge (recommended above) doesn't appear in the list of phones I have the option to upgrade to.....

Looks like the Droid Pro, Droid X, Thunderbold, Fascinate, Incredible, Citrus and Galaxy Tab are my main choices.

Dang...

Spokes
05-10-2011, 11:16
10-K, there's lots of good smartphone reviews on YouTube for the various models you mentioned. It may be worth some time watching them. I know I watched a bunch of them before taking the leap.

Good luck!

10-K
05-10-2011, 11:33
10-K, there's lots of good smartphone reviews on YouTube for the various models you mentioned. It may be worth some time watching them. I know I watched a bunch of them before taking the leap.

Good luck!

What's a YouTube? Do you need a smartphone for that??

:)

Sheneequa
05-10-2011, 11:55
Dude, forget about becoming a slave to a smartphone and switching back and forth, (which is a pain in the ass) especially if you barely text. Just stick with using a computer and your G'Zone—it serves its purpose, and it's hardcore. Oh, and where did you buy an extended battery?

Spokes
05-10-2011, 12:01
........ with that kind of thinking we'd all still be hiking in blue jeans, tube socks, and Segen wood frame packs.

sherrill
05-10-2011, 12:05
What's a YouTube?

It's where the Space Ice Cream goes.

10-K
05-10-2011, 12:05
........ with that kind of thinking we'd all still be hiking in blue jeans, tube socks, and Segen wood frame packs.

https://picasaweb.google.com/tbradnc/ATDevilForkGapToNolichuckyRiver328Miles#5146943565 309315874

Pete Moss
05-10-2011, 12:10
I go with a droid and use an extra extended battery, the one that doesn't require a new back (after market). I also only turn it when I want to use it. Got Verizon service which is good. As mentioned, apps running in the background will eat up battery life. So, I downloaded an app that I use to kill apps when it is on. I just use what I want. Being able to just view weather radar with it is a great feature. Especially when you are in or getting ready to be in some inclement weather.

+1 for the droid. a little less finicky than the Iphone and can do everything an I phone can. I personally think they are better made as well. (More rugged) Also, the camera on the droid has 8 mega pixels compared to the 5 I think an Iphone has.

10-K
05-10-2011, 12:11
+1 for the droid. a little less finicky than the Iphone and can do everything an I phone can. I personally think they are better made as well. (More rugged) Also, the camera on the droid has 8 mega pixels compared to the 5 I think an Iphone has.

What droid though? There seem to be about 1000 different models.

Pete Moss
05-10-2011, 12:12
I have the orignial with a rubber casing around it for protection and ITS TOUGH! I think the X is pretty close to the original.

Spokes
05-10-2011, 12:15
It's where the Space Ice Cream goes.

Get In My Belly

http://everydayathletetraining.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/fat_bastard.jpg?w=270&h=310

Buhzerker
06-06-2011, 23:14
I have a 1st edition Motorola Droid. Works great.

Dogwood
06-06-2011, 23:58
Slaves. Row slaves. Row. Put your backs into it. Row. Faster Faster Faster

Don't you know silly celly phones are linked to brain cancer? I don't care. Gimme my cell phone. Hopes I got a full charge.

Sorry, I coudn't resist.

Let's talk about UL gear instead! I's gots an ezen better idea. Let's weigh our phones to see which weigh less!

TheRaven
06-26-2011, 19:46
Lightweight (4oz) and rugged, easy to charge and proven (used in in several motorcycle trips in which it's been gotten drenched and fallen on the ground.) Youtube also has videos of it getting run over and still working

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_FONE_F3

vic_doom69
07-23-2011, 13:59
i thru hiked with an iphone and it was an excellent choice i thought. it took the place of my phone, maps, compass, journal, mp3 player, camera. when in airplane mode it uses basically no power. i used a setechi external battery that would charge it around 3 1/2 times. i actually started the trail with solar panel as well but quickly realized it was unnessesary. the external battery was plenty and weighed a little less than the phone. on the downside if something does happen to you phone then you loose it all. i kept mine in a ziplock when the weather was bad and had no problems. there was however and incident with a washing machine in stratton. i was sick to my stomach but was able to recover my pics :)

Bucherm
07-26-2011, 05:20
Dunno if 10-K ever got a phone, but if he hasn't yet he may want to consider the Casio Gzone
Commando

here (http://wireless.amazon.com/Casio-Commando-Android-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B004XDDOPI/ref=sh_br_ph_12?ie=UTF8&transaction=INDIVIDUAL_NEW&sr=1-12-entd&qid=1311671932273)

Introducing the Casio G'zOne Commando, the first G'zOne Android phone. Continuing in the rough and tough G'zOne heritage, the Commando now adds the versatility of Android for a powerful mobile experience. Rugged - with MIL-STD-810G certification - the Commando meets military standards for water, shock, and dust resistance making it perfect for any situation that life can throw at it, from the boardroom to the beach.

10-K
07-26-2011, 05:56
Dunno if 10-K ever got a phone, but if he hasn't yet he may want to consider the Casio Gzone
Commando

here (http://wireless.amazon.com/Casio-Commando-Android-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B004XDDOPI/ref=sh_br_ph_12?ie=UTF8&transaction=INDIVIDUAL_NEW&sr=1-12-entd&qid=1311671932273)

I have not... Still using the G'Zone Boulder. But this one looks promising - thanks for the info.

ironman y2k
07-26-2011, 20:32
I just upgraded from original Motorola Droid to Samsung Charge because Droid died after 2 years. Charge weighs 5 7/8 oz (with protective case) and Droid is 6 oz. (no case). However Charge screen is huge compared to original Droid. When I purchased I mentioned to sales rep I hiked and was thinking extra battery. He showed me a portable charger by Motorola (P793) that can recharge most phones 2 times before it needs recharging. It weighs 2 oz and is 4 1/4" x 2 x 1/4. At Verizon costs $40 but on Amazon it's $25. I prefer it to carrying extra batteries because I don't have battery contacts exposed and it can be used to charge different phones where extra batteries are for 1 type of phone only.
One nice feature I found on Samsung Charge is an indicator showing apps running in background and with 1 touch I can turn off any or all which saves battery power. It's 4g and no you won't use that power on the A.T. and it also has an 8 meg camera and a removable 32 gig micro sd card which will hold more photos than you will take on a thru hike. Also HD (720) video rated at 20 hours with 32 gig sd card.

Wise Old Owl
07-26-2011, 23:29
Ok I don't get it - if you can open the I phone here is the battery on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=iphone+4+battery&sprefix=iphone+4+battery

Wise Old Owl
07-26-2011, 23:37
I have the motorola Dual core 4g on Att it has blown away the company provided Blackberry... I will have it solar powered shortly

The apps allow me to dictate
find the North Star in a fog
Show where I am on a Google map
record audio
play music
play you tubes
post on WB
pull traffic maps as pass thru states
pull motion radar maps of storms
sunrise sunset features
compass features
full GPS
doesn't make coffee - but spare batteries are available.

Bucherm
07-27-2011, 02:21
I have the motorola Dual core 4g on Att it has blown away the company provided Blackberry... I will have it solar powered shortly

You are making this nerd rage.

Wombat Farm
07-27-2011, 03:30
I wouldn't bother with an iphone if you're not interested in the smart world thing. I have one and use alot but that's me. It's useless out in the woods for more than a couple of days because even brand new the battery doesn't last very long. Besides....just leave it at home. :-)

Wise Old Owl
07-27-2011, 22:24
Elgranola - I will have this thing working in the woods! For days at a time.....

LDog
07-28-2011, 19:03
Just saw the HTC Incredible 2 at the Costco Verizon Booth for $30 on a new 2 year contract. It's $199 at the Verizon Store.

Don Newcomb
09-24-2011, 21:49
So... I'm thinking about getting the iphone for around the house and overnight/weekend hiking trips and switching service back to my Boulder whenever I'm going out for a week or so which isn't so often that it'd make swapping phones a hassle.

With GSM phones you can move the SIM card from one phone to another. One problem is that (as I understand) Apple used an almost unique micro SD card in the iPhone4. It would be very difficult to use that SIM in a different phone. CDMA phones (Verizon) do not use a SIM card and you can't easily swap service from one phone to another.

Android phones have a reputation of needing to be recharged frequently.

Standard GSM service has a hard range limit of 35 km. This is not normally a problem as most handheld phones can only reach a tower about 20 km away (depending on elevation). CDMA does not have a hard range limit but you will still run out of signal. For remote areas a phone with an external antenna jack and a small light-weight Yagi antenna will provide the best range.