PDA

View Full Version : Camping on the AT

SeaJay
01-26-2005, 10:12
Does anyone know how many states/parks along the AT have laws that prevent camping anywhere but a designated campsite or shelter area?

I was reading another thread yesterday where a few members suggested hiking during daylight and then just stopping to camp wherever you end up at dusk. How feasible is this during a thru-hike of the AT? Thanks!

- SeaJay

Lone Wolf
01-26-2005, 10:19
Smoky Mtn. Nat. Park, Shenandoah Nat. Park, Baxter State Park and the small state parks in Pa. and Maryland all have restrictions. Also the White Mtns. in N.H.

rickb
01-26-2005, 10:26
Its very practical to simply stop at the end of the day, more so if you are willing to lug water for that last part of your day.

Even in the most highly regulated section of Trail (The White Mountains), you could camp along the Trail legally --almost-- every night. Up there the regulations are technically complex (basically you can't camp within 1/4 mile of a man made structure like a tent platform, hut or road, and you can't camp above tree line which is defined as where trees are less than 8 feet high), but even these regulations easy enough to work around with a bit of flexibility and planning.

Keep in mind that LNT ethics and regulations don't always coincide, however. In the heavily traveled Whites it would be perfectly legal to pitch a tent on an unused site within 6 inches of the AT in many places, but doing so would hardly be considered good form.

Bottom line is that with perhaps the exception of Baxter State Park and the Smokies you could avoid staying in shelters (or hotels for that matter) every night if thats what you wanted. In those other few areas where there are additional restrictions, you should be able to work around them without much trouble.

Rick B

Lone Wolf
01-26-2005, 10:29
Even in the Smoky's you can pitch a tent. I never stay in the shelters.

rickb
01-26-2005, 10:31
I hear there is a wolf den near lake of the clouds hut.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2005, 10:35
yup. you know about that stealth place? :)

chris
01-26-2005, 10:56
The only state-wide regulations are in CT. SNP and GSMNP, as mentioned, have regulations. Officially, in the GSMNP, if the shelter is full, thruhikers (defined as starting and ending at least 50 miles outside of the park) can then tent around the shelter. This gets broken rather rapidly, especially as ridgerunners or rangers are a rare sight. If you do stealth camp, make sure to do it right: Get out of sight of the trail, don't light a fire, and clean up after yourself.

In SNP, you have to be a certain distance from Skyline Drive (1/4 mile?) in order to random camp. However, the trail, when away from a hut, is rarely this far from a road. If you want to camp illegally, just make sure you don't pitch until dark and are mostly out of sight from the road. I've known people who got $15 tickets for illegal camping in SNP.

Hoppy
01-26-2005, 11:58
In SNP the regulations include camping out of sight of the trail (I forget the exact distance) and not right next to water sources. Following those basic rules, you can camp anywhere in SNP, the catch being is that you are supposed to file a backcountry permit with them before camping.

On a related note, do thru hikers register generally or pay the park fee when they enter SNP?

Brushy Sage
01-26-2005, 13:07
Unless the regs have changed since I moved from Maryland a couple years ago, camping along the AT is permitted only at designated locations.

rickb
01-26-2005, 13:16
Prior posts inspired me to check out the regulations at

www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/hike_info/regs.html

They are listed state by state and not all in one spot.

I had no idea there were so many....

Rick B

jlb2012
01-26-2005, 13:19
link to SNP backcountry camping regs.: http://www.nps.gov/shen/1e2d.htm

the 1/4 mile from the road, campgrounds, etc. no camping zone does apply

I recommend getting the toe tag (backcountry permit) since there is at least 1 a'hole of a ranger that if he sees you with a backpack will check that you have a permit

I don't know about the $5 individual entrance fee - it may not apply if you enter via the AT but I can't find anywhere where that is stated - all that is stated is that it is required at the high use entrances such as White Oak Hollow, Old Rag, etc.

flyfisher
01-26-2005, 14:13
link to SNP backcountry camping regs.: http://www.nps.gov/shen/1e2d.htm

the 1/4 mile from the road, campgrounds, etc. no camping zone does apply

I recommend getting the toe tag (backcountry permit) since there is at least one ranger that if he sees you with a backpack will check that you have a permit

I don't know about the $5 individual entrance fee - it may not apply if you enter via the AT but I can't find anywhere where that is stated - all that is stated is that it is required at the high use entrances such as White Oak Hollow, Old Rag, etc.

Shenandoah: I was just hiking there across Thanksgiving. Individual entrance fee is not charged if entrance is walking on the trail.

I ran into a ranger that took the three of us hikers to task because we each had a permit. I mentioned something about the fact that it was not clear on the kisok whether it was a party or an individual that needed the permit and he rapidly corrected me that it was VERY clear on that board.

For some reason, the way he said it caused a sudden increase in several hormones - probably mostly testosterone. I felt like I had been challenged by a bully. It was a bit difficult to remain reserved and respectful, but I did.

I was later quized by him whether I had told him something besides the truth about parking at the Rockfish Gap hotel, since there was a car at a gap somewhere ahead that he thought might be mine. (I was wearing a kilt and the license plate read something like Clan54.)

I doubt he meant to degrade my experience in the park, but I left with as much distaste for Shenandoah NP administration as I have for the Smokey Mountain NP. (And I still have most of this park to walk.)

Fortunately, the two parks occupy much less than 10 percent of the trail.

JoeHiker
01-26-2005, 14:36
FlyFisher, I'm a little confused by your post. Are you saying that the ranger was angry because each of you had a permit instead of all 3 of you having just one? Why on earth would they be angry about something like that? It's certainly not breaking a rule, is it?

flyfisher
01-26-2005, 15:05
FlyFisher, I'm a little confused by your post. Are you saying that the ranger was angry because each of you had a permit instead of all 3 of you having just one? Why on earth would they be angry about something like that? It's certainly not breaking a rule, is it?

I had the same confusion. Yes, he seemed to be quite put out that we each had a permit. The only thing I could think about afterwards was that he may have to file those permits somewhere.

jlb2012
01-26-2005, 15:28
I think it is more like he had to type the info into a computer network and he hates that part of his job. Personally I think this particular ranger just does not like backpackers but ... who knows maybe he's that way with all the visitors.

SGT Rock
01-26-2005, 15:44
Just ya'll wait!:mad:

When I retire from the Army I will get a Ranger job in the GSMNP, then I'll be a backcountry permit nazi! :eek:

Of course my special friends will receive coordinates to the best stealth sites. :p

flyfisher
01-26-2005, 16:12
Just ya'll wait!:mad:

When I retire from the Army I will get a Ranger job in the GSMNP, then I'll be a backcountry permit nazi! :eek:

I was carded in the Smokey Mountains too. It was an ATC Ridgerunner named Glenn Reynolds who asked me for my permit. I started to dig into the pack for it when he said he did not need to see it.

http://www.imrisk.com/atsmokeynorth/atsmokeynorth21.jpg

To be fair, he mainly was interested in any help to find a fellow who had been accused of stealing stuff from hikers. He even had a picture of him.

To be more than fair, he went to considerable trouble to supply me with a yard of duct tape to repair a bad blister I had on my left heel.

Sarge, If you end up growing up to be a ridgerunner, I will be proud to show you my permit anytime I am hiking in the Smokey Mountains. :)

You still on for retirement and a thruhike in 07? I retire in a month.

SGT Rock
01-26-2005, 18:05
Well the plan has a couple of decision points built into it. 2007 or 2009 are the plannning dates.

Footslogger
01-26-2005, 18:12
Of course my special friends will receive coordinates to the best stealth sites. :p============================

So ...who's on your A List Rock ??

'Slogger

SGT Rock
01-26-2005, 18:44
Well I haven't put that together, and I would also leave myself open to meeting people that I thought were cool enough to tell where a good site is. Maybe I would set some caches of good bourbon up there for warmth.

SGT Rock
01-26-2005, 19:01
You know, I was just thinking about that. My original retirement date was this year, I had looked at going SOBO in June 2005 at one point. Hard to belive I could have been a class of 2005 guy. Well, if I win the lottery before June, I could still do it.