PDA

View Full Version : Vermont Trail Report

Jeff
05-09-2011, 08:41
Did some dayhikes this Mothers Day weekend.

Northside of Stratton is covered with snow, making for some slow (but doable) going. Another hiker reported the same conditions around Glastenbury.

Much less snow on Bromley, Styles and Peru peak. Most all blowdowns have been cleared from Bromley north to Griffith Lake.

Met several AT sectionhikers. Mud is really not too bad. Of course, southern Vermont is alot lower elevation than the LT north of Maine Jct.

Yukon
05-09-2011, 09:14
I hiked Glastenbury this past Friday the 6th, the north side of the mountain still had spots where I was postholing up to my knees, and I'm 6'-6" tall lol. My plan was to go to Kid Gore for the night but ended up turning around and heading back down to Rt. 9 for a decent 20 mile day hike :p

Deadeye
05-09-2011, 21:21
It snowed on Saturday the 7th in Northern VT, and there's still plenty of deep snow up high. Depth at the gauge near the top of Mt. Mansfield on May 8 = 52". Cool weather forecast for the week, so snowmelt will be slow & gradual for a change.

Blue Jay
05-10-2011, 16:24
Black flies have started a little early. Hope for a week of some real heat and we'll get rid of them early.

Skid.
05-10-2011, 21:37
I thought VT trails are 'closed' until June 1, or doesn't that really matter?

CTGuy
05-11-2011, 11:14
Im leaving next week starting at Route 4 in Vermont where the LT and the AT splits going north on the AT to NH 25A in New Hampshire, is there still snow there?

Jeff
05-12-2011, 06:00
You are starting north of Killington so I would imagine you will have no snow problems in VT on the AT. Cannot comment about Mt Cube in NH.