PDA

View Full Version : How many pairs of boots/trail runners do you own?

skooch
05-09-2011, 10:41
As I read old threads on this subject I realize I may never find anything that fits. How many brands did any of you try before finding the right fit? I'm looking for no cranmed or blistered toes. Did a 17mile shakedown last Friday and my painful feet were almost numb. I was hobbling in my Vasques. My feet only act this way when carrying a full pack of 30lbs. I suppose finding boots is like kissing a lot of frogs to find a prince.:confused:

skooch
05-09-2011, 10:52
Oh and I bought thos Vasques a size bigger. My next venture is into wide width this week. I don't want to suffer until Neel Gap then try whatever thay have at the moment.

skinewmexico
05-09-2011, 10:53
I've got a pair of Vasques I got on SAC, some Salomon XTs, and a couple of pairs of GoLites (none of them are boots). Never had any trouble with any of them. GoLites sure have a nice big toe box.

Namaste
05-09-2011, 10:56
I own one pair of Asolo hiking boots which was the best find in the used section of an EMS ever. They had a ticket that said worn once, so I tried them considering they were priced at less than half off a brand new pair. They were a perfect fit, I loved them, wore them to death (literally fell apart coming down the Hunt Trail at Baxter) then replaced them with the same after 8 years. I own one pair of low hikers, Salomons, that I bought up in Vermont and used on the Long Trail. I love my footwear on dayhikes and with a full pack. My feet are wide and I have a high arch. No aches at the end of the day.

Liv2Ride
05-09-2011, 11:43
I've tried too many brands and models to count. Fortunately, REI and STP has a great return policy. After all the trials, blisters, cramping and bad to semi ok experiences I decided to try a pair of Salomon XT trail runners. They have made all the difference in the world. Not one blister or moment of regret. I typically carry 30-35lbs so the trail runners are working great for me. There are a couple of downsides. One, the footbed is not as tough as boots so I do feel the rocks and roots more. That hasn't been an issue for me though because that actually causes me to slow down and think before placing my foot in tricky areas. The other downside is that they won't last nearly as long as a good pair of boots. For the most part I still wore my boots this past winter when heavy rain was expected. For me there are so many plus's for going with trail runners. Lighter, breathes better, more room for my wide feet to spread out, no need for carrying separate camp shoes unless I feel like it and the list goes on. I tried on a pair of Merrell Moab the other day. They felt great and is on my buy/try list.

sonic
05-09-2011, 11:50
I can't post the real number. My significant other might read and find out!!!!!! You gotta keep some things secret you know, especially when it comes to shoes and boots.:banana

skooch
05-09-2011, 12:13
I've tried too many brands and models to count. Fortunately, REI and STP has a great return policy. After all the trials, blisters, cramping and bad to semi ok experiences I decided to try a pair of Salomon XT trail runners. They have made all the difference in the world. Not one blister or moment of regret. I typically carry 30-35lbs so the trail runners are working great for me. There are a couple of downsides. One, the footbed is not as tough as boots so I do feel the rocks and roots more. That hasn't been an issue for me though because that actually causes me to slow down and think before placing my foot in tricky areas. The other downside is that they won't last nearly as long as a good pair of boots. For the most part I still wore my boots this past winter when heavy rain was expected. For me there are so many plus's for going with trail runners. Lighter, breathes better, more room for my wide feet to spread out, no need for carrying separate camp shoes unless I feel like it and the list goes on. I tried on a pair of Merrell Moab the other day. They felt great and is on my buy/try list.

There is no such thing as REI in Florida.:( I've heard tell of this magical, mystery place of all things hiking.

Red Hat
05-09-2011, 12:20
you mean ones I still use or ones I wore out and keep? too many! anyway, when I was wearing a pair of Vasque boots to hike, a wise man once told me "those boots are pretty unforgiving, get a pair of sneakers". I switched to trail runners (New Balance) and haven't had a blister since.

that wise man was Warren Doyle back at the ATI in 2003.

LoneRidgeRunner
05-09-2011, 12:47
I own one pair of Asolo hiking boots which was the best find in the used section of an EMS ever. They had a ticket that said worn once, so I tried them considering they were priced at less than half off a brand new pair. They were a perfect fit, I loved them, wore them to death (literally fell apart coming down the Hunt Trail at Baxter) then replaced them with the same after 8 years. I own one pair of low hikers, Salomons, that I bought up in Vermont and used on the Long Trail. I love my footwear on dayhikes and with a full pack. My feet are wide and I have a high arch. No aches at the end of the day.

I realize that there are "lemons" in anything..including Asolo boots which do have a great reputation but I had a bad experience with Asolo boots once. My very first pair of hiking boots were Asolos and the lacing hooks were popping out within a mile on my first hike up Hawksbill Mountain in NC. Asolo would do NOTHING about it so the store ended up giving me a pair of Nikes which sold for 40 bucks more than the Asolos at the time. Hence I never buy Asolos again.. not because I got a lemon but because they refused to replace the defective boots.. I'm partial to La Sportiva boots

Saffirre8
05-09-2011, 13:12
i got a pair of vasque and i like you ordered a 1/2 size bigger. after hiking i had to much room. I ordered my normal size in a Wide and it was much better and i havent had any problems since that isnt normal for me anyway. Order from REI or another place that you can return if they are not a good fit for you.

Spirit Walker
05-09-2011, 13:21
For boots, Lowa has worked really well for me. I have very wide feet. No blisters with these. But I only wear boots in snowy conditions.

For most of my hiking I wear either Vasque Velocity trail runners or Merrills. The Velocity gives better support than the Moabs. The Merrills I used to wear (Mesa) isn't available any more.

One thing I have found, as soon as I find a shoe/boot I really like, they either stop making it or they change the last. Every year I start over.

weary
05-09-2011, 13:30
I had foot problems until someone on the trail told me to buy some heavy Thurlo socks. I haven't had a blister since.

Doc Mike
05-09-2011, 15:34
new balance 806's and Darn Tough socks seem to be the perfect combo for me.

10-K
05-09-2011, 15:36
3 pairs of trail runners (Brooks Adrenaline ASR) and 2 pair of Inov-8 boots that I'll probably never wear again.

Now running shoes (Brooks Adrenaline) ... 1 pair a month. I have a box full (at least a dozen pair) that I need to donate.

gearfreak
05-09-2011, 16:15
I've got a good many miles on my Keen Targhee's and they're still in great shape. Paired with Bridgedale Ventum (now called X-Hale) Light Hiker Socks and never a blister. I also use a nightly routine of rubbing my feet down with Purell followed by a dusting of Gold Bond.

map man
05-09-2011, 21:51
After a few years of experimentation the shoe that was finally just right for me was the New Balance 840 trail runner in 11EEEE. So I have two pair of those. Bought the second pair when I saw they were being discontinued and I got them on clearance. I really believe that choosing a shoe brand that offers a wide variety of widths (like New Balance) increases your chances of finding a good fit.

bflorac
05-09-2011, 22:16
On my 5th pair in 4 years. Tried high cut, low cut, mid cut without great success. I have very wide feet (4E) with a high arch. Best "fitting" boots so far have been from New Balance. This year it will be a New Balance MO1000BY. It is not the coolest boot but it does fit will and feels good. I've done two 10+ mile hikes with them but with only a 20lb pack. No blisters or hot spots yet. I will be going full load this weekend (after switching for a 1/2 size bigger). This will be my LAST pair of boots.

I normally hike with real thick socks but may try thin socks again now that I have boots that seem to fit well.

I have custom made orthopedic insoles which I tried last year with fair success but this year I'm also bring the original and super-feet insoles and plan on rotating them. Each has it's own pros/cons. I was looking forward to trying the OrthoSole insoles but they do not fit wide feet.

If this does not work, I'm heading down the trail runner path. I have 4 weeks to sort this out for my AT section hike in June.

TRAUMAhead
10-26-2011, 03:42
2. Asolo Fugitive GTX (wide) for trail maintenance or snow, Inov-8 295 Roclites for everything else. Low/no arches, slightly wide feet. Been using the Asolos with original insoles, definitely need new insoles with support. On the fence with the 295s, love the flex and gigantic toebox.

moytoy
10-26-2011, 04:24
In the 50's I wore whatever my Mother got me from Sears.
In the 60's I bought Redwing boots and thought I was in heaven.
Sometime in 77 or 78 switched to Merrell and stayed with Merrells until 2008 when I bought a pair of Montrails. Because of this site I now have switched to NB 814's and although I only have 200 miles on them they seem to be doing great with no blister or soreness issues. I found the 814's at FootLocker in Ocala Fl for $50. At $50 I will be throwing these away when I wear them out. I still have every pair of Merrells I ever bought. Some with no soles.

Old Hiker
10-26-2011, 07:18
http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-15130-Chocurua-Trail-Brown/dp/B000VX03N0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319627679&sr=8-2

On my 5th pair - 13W. I was brought up on "Waffle-stompers", so I don't mind boots at all. Just bought 2 more pair to break in for next year's thru.

Papa D
10-26-2011, 07:54
3 pairs of trail runners - 2 LaSportivas and one pair Montrails
1 pair of scarpa leather boots
1 pair Kayland Mountaineering boots

I guess that's 5 pairs currently in the rotation

Mags
10-26-2011, 09:29
1 pr trail runner (Keens)
1 pr hi-tec hiking boots (trail work, mud season, light alpine climbing)
1 pr Scrapa climbing shoes
1 pr Scarpa telemark ski boots
1 pr Crispi leather ski touring boots

Like to be outdoors in all seasons and occasional vertical. :)

SMSP
10-26-2011, 09:59
My hiking boots are Vasque Breeze GTX used for cold weather and snow. My ‘goto’ hiking shoe is the Merrell Moab Ventilator.

I also own a pair of Keen McKenzie’s, which is a sandal/shoe combo. These have been great for the water park. These have also been a great casual wear shoe to work and around town and for cycling. They are a very ‘airey’ shoe with socks for warm and hot weather. They are not very comfortable after standing around in them after 4-5 hours. I hiked in these once for a couple of miles barefoot. That hike in was okay. I stopped for a rest and walked through a creek. On the way out, I began getting some hot spots due to the granules of sand and wet feet combination. At the end of that short 2 miler, I had a couple of raw spots.

I’ve tried the Keen Voyager Mid and had to return them, for some reason, one foot consistently got rubbed raw on the back of my heel. I was really disappointed because the other foot liked them so much. This happened on three separate occasions. In between each attempt, I let my heel heal completely before the next attempt.

The Keen Voyager Mid’s were exchanged for the Keen Siskiyou; only to find out that the Siskiyou’s are a tad narrower than the Voyager line. I determined this by wearing them and then confirmed it by calling Keen. I still have these, but these have been relegated to casual wear. The Siskiyou is not for wide feet.

I have tried hiking sandals and that doesn’t work for me. I have a pair of Teva Terra Fi3’s and honestly, the only reason I own them was because I got them half off on a clearance end of the season sale. For an open sandal, they are solid and heavy.

Also got a pair of Keen of Newport H2 sandals. Again, they were bought on a clearance sale half off and I wouldn’t have bought them otherwise. These did not hold up. The threading came loose on both pair back by the ankle. It is a known design flaw. I contacted Keen, who warrantied them. That’s how I got the pair of McKenzie’s.

Hmm, let’s not forget the slip-on casual wear shoes. I have the Merrell Jungle Moc, World Quest and Hyperbolics. These are all for casual wear to work. I have read that some actually hike in the Jungle Moc’s and the Hyperbolic’s. I tried it, and my feet slide around too much and wasn’t for me. Interesting though that the Hyperbolic has a Vibram sole. The World Quest, which I am wearing right now, are more for casual to dress wear.

I haven’t tried a “trail runner” yet, but would like to and likely will in the near future.

Well, as you can see, I am definitely a Merrell fan, tried to be a Keen fan and although I only own one pair of Vasque boots, I like them too. It has a lot to do with what’s available in your area and what you have access too. The stores in my area stock a lot of Merrell and Keen. I had to go an hour to a store to get access to the Vasque brand.

Good luck in finding the ‘right’ footwear for you and be careful, it can be a little addicting.

SMSP

Echraide
10-26-2011, 11:13
I second New Balance, especially if you have wide feet. I use their motion control walking shoes, not trail runners.

Don Newcomb
10-26-2011, 13:11
Four:
1. My original 1969 Vasques for nostalgia's sake.
2. A pair of Keens that I use most because they feel like slippers and have never raised a blister.
3. A pair of Asolo midweights that I need to break in.
4. A pair or low-top, leather waffle stomping hiking shoes bought for good weather & day hikes.

The Keens were selected because they fit my orthotic inserts. Their major downside is that the are in no way waterproof. The Asolos seem a tad too narrow and are heavier than I'd like. I haven't used #4 much in recent times. My major limitation is that I need to pick shoes and boots that fit orthotic inserts. Without them my feet and knees start hurting after a few days.

Tinker
10-26-2011, 13:20
I'm going "heavy" for me this time (Pa. rocks coming up) with Merrill Moab Ventilators. I've used trail runners pretty exclusively since retiring my custom Limmers back in 2000. I've used Montrail, Vasque, Hi-Tec, Columbia, Chaco (boots), Asics, and Keen (both low top hikers and sandals - I climbed Katahdin in the orig. style Newport H2s - My Keen shoes which I wore into the Hundred Mile Wilderness from Monson stretched so much my feet twisted in them on sidehills, so the H2's, brought as water crossing shoes, did double duty and actually went the last 20 miles of the HMW, into Baxter Park, up and down Katahdin, and back out to the Golden Road. I still have them and wear them around the house and for watersports. The new H2s don't have removable insoles so I can't use my orthotics with them and won't buy another pair. I have low volume, flat feet with a wide forefoot and narrow heel (picture Donald Duck's feet and you'll understand :D).